Type keyword(s) to search

Antiques Roadshow (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

From http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/season/20/spokane-wa/appraisals/grotesque-face-jug-ca-1900--201502A19

February 08, 2016: Correction —
"After a couple of decades of Roadshow seasons, I note that each city presents new opportunities for discoveries and learning experiences. The grotesque glazed redware pot I saw and admired in Spokane is unlike any other example I have seen. We have sold at auction several examples from the 19th century — all of which are from the eastern half of the United States, and have a single grotesque face — some for five figures. This example, with its six grotesque faces, was modeled or sculpted with considerable imagination, virtuosity and technical competence. This mysterious piece was reportedly found at an estate sale, covered with dust, straw, and chicken droppings, and purchased for $300. As far as its age is concerned, I was fooled, as were some of my colleagues. Alas, among the millions of people who watch Antiques Roadshow faithfully was a woman who identified herself as being a friend of the maker, a lady named Betsy Soule! She created this in [1973 or ’74], while in high school! The techniques of making pottery, in many ways, haven’t changed for centuries. Obviously, I was mistaken as to its age by 60 to 80 years. I feel the value at auction, based on its quality and artistic merit, is in the $3,000-$5,000 range. Still not bad for a high schooler in Oregon.”

I don't see how it is worth that much.

• Love 1

I like watching the reruns where they show the changes in the value of the objects from, say, 1997 to 2016. 
It's fun (to me) to try to guess if the value has gone up, down, or maintained in the few seconds before they show it.

• Love 6

I very much enjoyed the "Vintage" episodes.  I guess the late 90s/early 2000s was a peak time for a lot of different types of objects.  It was shocking how much the value of certain things (like early American furniture) had plunged.  Heck, even if the price stayed the same, that means the item lost value due to inflation and such.   

• Love 2

When they value items up to $10,000, I guess the owners are likely to hang on to them for their kids.
When the value is over $100,000, I think: Sell it and buy a house!
But I just saw a lovely Alice R. H. Smith watercolor valued at $85,000, and it seems it would be nice to sell it (if possible??) to a museum where others could see it, including the descendants of the owners, who might also be able to pay off student loans with the proceeds of the sale.

ETA: This was a 2012 rerun. I wonder if there's any way to learn what happened to the items that are shown on air and later sold.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I wonder if there's any way to learn what happened to the items that are shown on air and later sold.

If you are certain as to what item you are looking for, you could try auction sites like Live Auctioneers or Bidsquare, and search their past sales. 

It would be interesting if they did follow up on certain pieces.  I'm trying to remember what season it was, but I do recall reading that the person who brought in some Chinese (jade?) pieces that were valued at several hundred thousand dollars was not able to realize those prices when it actually came time for the auction. 

I just watched Vintage Miami (comparing 2001 with 2016 values). It seemed several items may have decreased in value due to sites like Ebay because although there were many of the item in existance, back in 2001 and earlier they weren't easy to locate.

• Love 1

I'm watching the Mansion Masterpieces episode from Monday that has updated values. I've seen this particular item and its owners before....the two sisters who bring in mom's Tiffany lamp that she purchased for $125, was valued at $80,000 to $125,000 at the time of valuation and now is valued at $250,000 to $300,000. The sisters must have recently lost mom at the time of taping. When told of the valuation, they both burst into tears and just sob their hearts out. I am always moved by seeing them. I can relate, although my mother never bought anything anywhere near that valuation, but just having someone else appreciate something your mother enjoyed means the world. I hope the sisters held on to the lamp and let it increase in value. Would love an update on them.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

I'm watching the Mansion Masterpieces episode from Monday that has updated values. I've seen this particular item and its owners before....the two sisters who bring in mom's Tiffany lamp that she purchased for $125, was valued at $80,000 to $125,000 at the time of valuation and now is valued at $250,000 to $300,000. The sisters must have recently lost mom at the time of taping. When told of the valuation, they both burst into tears and just sob their hearts out. I am always moved by seeing them. I can relate, although my mother never bought anything anywhere near that valuation, but just having someone else appreciate something your mother enjoyed means the world. I hope the sisters held on to the lamp and let it increase in value. Would love an update on them.

Is it wrong that whenever it's that much I think it could buy me a home? I'm in my 60s and have never owned property, and neither have my 3 adult daughters.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Is it wrong that whenever it's that much I think it could buy me a home? I'm in my 60s and have never owned property, and neither have my 3 adult daughters.

Definitely not wrong! So many times when an item is given a high value, I shout out "sold!" I would be heading to the auction house so quickly! But in the case of the lamp, since it appreciated so much, I hope the kids held on to it so they could split a larger amount. Of course, no crystal ball can tell us what future valuations might be, so you have to do what is right for you at the time. 

• Love 2

So many times when an item is given a high value, I shout out "sold!"

I could swear growing up that a number of movies involved having to save a relative's home or farm from foreclosure by putting on some kind of show, or finding buried treasure.  With that in mind, I like to view the items in terms of whether they are enough to "save Grandma's farm."

I've seen this particular item and its owners before....the two sisters who bring in mom's Tiffany lamp that she purchased for $125, was valued at $80,000 to $125,000 at the time of valuation and now is valued at $250,000 to $300,000. The sisters must have recently lost mom at the time of taping. When told of the valuation, they both burst into tears and just sob their hearts out. I am always moved by seeing them. I can relate, although my mother never bought anything anywhere near that valuation, but just having someone else appreciate something your mother enjoyed means the world. I hope the sisters held on to the lamp and let it increase in value. Would love an update on them.

I love that segment.  It's such a sweet moment, particularly when the appraiser says she has to give them a hug.

• Love 1

That was a good way to end the season premiere...with a Rodin sculpture valued at $400k to $500k! However, I still had the remains of a bitter taste in my mouth since my sister and I tried to get tix for this taping since it was in Ft. Worth. Oh well, we didn't have anything exciting to take. I just wanted to squee at the appraisers.

• Love 4

It was great that the Rodin was authentic. I was very happy for that man. He was adorable when he found that out and got nervous about getting it safely out of the building and the appraiser told him that they had people to help him with that. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, txhorns79 said:

I have some of those Bill Graham 60's rock posters.  I don't know if they really are as valuable as the appraisal suggested, but it was very neat to see them on tv! 

Mine were Bill Graham too. Were the ones we saw on the show BG as well? 

• Love 1

Mine were Bill Graham too. Were the ones we saw on the show BG as well? 

Two of the posters that were featured were Bill Graham.  One was from the Fillmore, and the other was the Fillmore East.  I think the third was a Grateful Dead from the Café Au Go Go.  Most of the posters in the pile they briefly showed looked like they were Bill Graham posters. 

• Love 1

I just saw one of my favorite reactions to an appraisal on the Salt Lake City show. A woman had a 1844 Mormon hymnal from her family that she had no idea the value of. When the appraiser told her $40,000-50,000, she teared up, covered her mouth in shock, then blurted, "What do I DO with it?!?" then, "Who do I leave this to?!?"

• Love 2
(edited)

In the most recent Virginia Beach episode, they ended the episode with paintings by a Saudi artist from 2015.  There wasn't any question as to the age of the pieces.  I realize they are sometimes fluid about what is considered an "antique," and there have been situations where people have thought that an item was old when it really was new.  Having said that, it was very strange to me that these pieces were being featured on a show that is nominally about antique appraisals.     

Edited by txhorns79
(edited)

When I heard that the Saudi artist vandalized a Manhattan hotel room, I thought he deserved it. You don't draw something or tear wallpapers from there. But the appraiser thought the hotel should have kept it as art. I thought that is not how it works. Especially for a Manhattan hotel. I am all for rebellious and all, but not when it involves stupidlty on the person responsible for the damage. 

Edited by Robert Lynch

Last night AR updated values on some items profiled on the 2002 visit to Hot Springs. The item that shocked me was the sand art in a jar from 1880 that was glued at $4000 to $6000 in 2002. I thought THAT was amazing, but no! The updated value in 2017 is $30,000 to $50,000!! I can't believe that jar survived all these years without getting cracked or broken. The art in it was incredible. The expert said a young deaf mute boy created it by moving grains of sand with an oversized fish hook. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Last night AR updated values on some items profiled on the 2002 visit to Hot Springs. The item that shocked me was the sand art in a jar from 1880 that was glued at $4000 to $6000 in 2002. I thought THAT was amazing, but no! The updated value in 2017 is $30,000 to $50,000!! I can't believe that jar survived all these years without getting cracked or broken. The art in it was incredible. The expert said a young deaf mute boy created it by moving grains of sand with an oversized fish hook. 

Did they explain the huge markup other than the usual comments about how the market for such items has really exploded and so on?

Is this it? 

image.jpeg

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

One Emmy nomination this year:

OUTSTANDING STRUCTURED REALITY PROGRAM

I am not very hopeful. Among other nominees are Shark Tank, Diners Drive-ins and Dives and that Fixer Upper show (I had to stop watching because of the goofy husband.) Sadly, I think Shark Tank will win.

• Love 1

I'm very much enjoying the "vintage" episodes.  It's amazing to me to see how the values of various objects changed in 15 years.  Some things have gone crazy in value, and others have just crashed. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I am watching reruns of my beloved AR UK and I wish they would do full episodes of the updated values like the US version does. Their glass appraiser, Andy McConnell, is so hilarious. I want to be his BFF.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Newport was an experience.  It was outside, and it was a rainy day.  They did have tents, and the location was one of those Gilded Age mansions they have in Newport. 

More info, please! You can't just tease us like that!!!

• Love 2

More info, please! You can't just tease us like that!!!

I've been lucky in that I've been to other Roadshow events that they have done in convention centers.  This felt a little bit less organized, in that I didn't get the sense they were entirely prepared for an outdoor event when the weather was bad.  You had to take a shuttle from the parking lot to get to the event, and that was a little cramped as everyone was carrying their antiques with them.  Don't get me wrong, everything ran smoothly, and it was lovely.  As with my other experiences, this one involved a lot of standing in lines and speaking to people around me.  That part is always fun, as people bring in all sorts of interesting things.  I had travel posters, but was not chosen for television! 

• Love 2

Were your posters appraised by The Poster Guy (is his last name Lippman and he wears the crazy suits)? Please take me with you next time!! I assume from your name that you went to UT. If it endears me to you, I almost went to UT but graduated from BU in 79. I hope we're still friends!! Ha! 

• Love 2

Were your posters appraised by The Poster Guy (is his last name Lippman and he wears the crazy suits)?

I think you are talking about Nicho Lowry.  My poster was looked at by someone else.  I did see him (or at least I thought I did), but I think he was talking to someone else about whether to put something on camera.  It's kind of a rushed process.  You spend a lot of time in line, and the appraiser maybe spends a minute or two with you depending on their level of interest.     

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

The 2018 tour has been announced.  It appears to be starting a lot earlier than usual this year, and they are doing a lot of dates during the week, as opposed to the more typical weekend ones they did in the past.  I feel like that will just depress turnout.   

The cities are:

Sarasota, FL - Thursday, April 12

Tulsa, OK - Saturday, April 21

Louisville, KY  - Tuesday, May 22

San Diego, CA - Tuesday, May 29

Rochester, MI - Thursday, June 14

• Love 3

The 2018 season started last night with an episode in Harrisburg, PA.   Maybe there weren't enough "finds" this time.  I thought they spent way too much time with each person that was on camera.  Much longer than I remember from other episodes. 

• Love 1

this epsiode was terrible. did a lot of fast forwarding.  as an aside. i'd like to know how many people run to the nearest auction /antique dealer to sell their family heirlooms after being told the ugly , useless, formally thought of as garbage item is worth big bucks. i would! i don't believe for a second that ugly ass painting or gaudy bowl of great great grandmas that you never knew is going to stay in the family.  unless you are quite well, off $10,000 , or way less as far as i'm concerned,  is going to be a god send in paying bills, house upkeep and just plain living. what a crock.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, msrachelj said:

as an aside. i'd like to know how many people run to the nearest auction /antique dealer to sell their family heirlooms after being told the ugly , useless, formally thought of as garbage item is worth big bucks. i would!

I would too, but I believe all those people who say they're keeping the items at least mean it at that moment. Plus, people who value those items enough to use their vacation days to drag them to the show are probably more likely to be hoarders, right? Also, if the value "at auction" isn't enough to make a difference in the life of the person who currently owns the item, and if keeping it isn't an inconvenience, I guess it might be better to wait to see if its value increases. 

BTW, is the estimated value "at auction" the amount of money that the owner would get? Or does the auction house get a cut? And what about taxes?

BTW, is the estimated value "at auction" the amount of money that the owner would get? Or does the auction house get a cut? And what about taxes?

I think the number they give is just a basic auction estimate without anything broken down.  If your item actually sold at auction, the auction house gets a cut. 

ETA: To give an example from the show, David Rago appraised a Newcomb vase in 2014 in South Carolina for $25,000.00.  The same vase just sold at auction a week or so ago at Rago's Auction House for $18,750.00.  ($15,000.00 + the buyer's premium).   

Edited by txhorns79

this show is so interesting and i've been watching for years. makes me crazy when people inherit these expensive items or worse still  but something at a yard sale for $2.00 and it's a rare whatever worth $20,000. i don't have that luck. 

anyway, came here to say, no one is watching or at least no one is posting?  i guess too many people are more interested in reality tv junk. sigh. 

• Love 1

I definitely still watch! I still even watch the reruns of the UK version that I've seen lots of times. In fact, I just sat down to watch the most recent episode that I had recorded but I guess my PBS station had a wonky signal because the picture kept cutting in and out. So I will record this rerun on Saturday and watch it then. I especially love the updates when they show what the original appraisal was and what it's worth now.  If anyone were to ask me what my fav show is, I would say AR!!

• Love 2

I think of all the things we've seen over the many years Antique's Roadshow has been on the air, if I could own one item, it would be the painting by Frank Zappa. Does anyone else have an item from AR that they particularly covet?

The lady on the most recent Newport episode did well with her Escher prints which he originally bought for $30.00 each (I think each - plus $2.50 shipping) but if her hubby had spent the $15.00 and bought the Warhol Soup Can it would be worth around $11.7 million.

I enjoyed the Newport setting. It reminded me very much of Antiques Roadshow UK. I hope they do more like that.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, TresGatos said:

I think of all the things we've seen over the many years Antique's Roadshow has been on the air, if I could own one item, it would be the painting by Frank Zappa. Does anyone else have an item from AR that they particularly covet?

The lady on the most recent Newport episode did well with her Escher prints which he originally bought for $30.00 each (I think each - plus $2.50 shipping) but if her hubby had spent the $15.00 and bought the Warhol Soup Can it would be worth around $11.7 million.

I enjoyed the Newport setting. It reminded me very much of Antiques Roadshow UK. I hope they do more like that.

I also enjoyed the Newport setting and it was charming like the UK version.  In 2004 while I was on a week long business trip in Boston, I did a day side trip up to Newport to tour the mansions and it was so cool. I would definitely recommend it if anyone is in the area.

I can't recall off the top of my head of a particular item that I covet. It would probably be a piece of jewelry or an interesting serving piece. More than coveting a piece, I can say that MANY times when the value of a piece is revealed and it's particularly high, I will shout SOLD! I don't have kids, so I have no need to hang on to stuff to continue to appreciate in value, and would probably sell 99% of the high dollar items. One such item is the sand art item that I commented on earlier on this page. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, msrachelj said:

i hated the newport setting. too many wealthy people and their treasures they had passed down to them. not even excited, they just take in stride as another entitlement. 

Or maybe too proud to admit on public TV that they'd be selling the stuff next week to continue to live in those tony neighborhoods?

• Love 1