Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: It's Official!

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, flyingdi said:

Personally I now believe they were kicked out Central America.  "Come to Central America!  It's an absolute cesspool!" isn't exactly a god travelogue.

Edited by flyingdi
I somehow used the quote wrong. Still blaming brain damage from the show.
  • Love 14

Notice how Michelle was sitting directly across from Josie during dinner but couldn't be bothered to correct her about eating the lasagna with her fingers. Lazy, lazy, lazy.

I guess the Smuggars were forced to eat their take-out in the utility closet. Jeremy was a lot less annoying this episode and it was cute the way he held Spurgeon at the Mold House.

Jill is miserable in Danger America. Either Derick doesn't see it or he's really trying to avoid going back to the cubicle farm. Izzy is adorable.

Jinger, Joy and Jana wearing flip flops and skirts was ridiculous. I hope they got a nasty case of poison ivy.

9 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

Personally I now believe they were kicked out Central America.  "Come to Central America!  It's an absolute cesspool!" isn't exactly a god travelogue.

Yeah, I'm guessing the El Salvadoran tourism bureau didn't appreciate a million US viewers being told they'd be raped, murdered or kidnapped the second they touched down in the country. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 11

I wasn't expecting the Blair Fundy Project to be happening. Colour me shocked. 

I tuned in late so will need to catch it on demand and come back with my extensive laundry list of snark. 

Seeing more of KJB and his wife Xanaxia from the planet of sneak had made me stabby  and i need to make sure i pop my mouth guard in before i sleep. 

• Love 16

John David seems to have a really dry sense of humor.  He may have to do the show more now but he still doesn't have to give a damn about it.  I loved it when he said something like "This survival thing will give us skills that maybe will help us later."  His face was just screaming "Why are you wasting my time!"

Edited by flyingdi
Punctuation is a thing that exists.
  • Love 11

Maybe before the sisterwives in training and their dimbulb brothers trek into the woods to learn survival, they should all sit their asses at home and learn how to simply live.  That many adults in a house and they are "too busy" to cook dinner?  Something that should be old hat by now?  Busy doing what may I ask?  Lasagna is perhaps one of the easiest dishes to make for a large family and they can't even pull a frozen set out and put it in the oven?  Actually sending them out into the woods to survive sounds like a good idea.  Send them all out in the woods.  The taiga in Siberia perhaps or somewhere in Alaska.  Just for four hours.  It would break them.

Exactly what is Bin bringing to the table that he thinks is already pulled up in a chair?  He hasn't even mastered social media yet-- taking blurry photos; from the wrong angle; horrible lighting.  So what else is there?  How to sit on a couch the right way to play on your iphone for hours without cramping?  How to learn how to get by the baby locks on everything without having to ask your wife for help.  For the third time.    This didn't help erase the constant image I have of Bin trying to navigate the house and usually ending up tangled hopelessly and helplessly in the baby gate. 

I think a huge part of Holy Goalie's looks problem is he cannot for the life of him smile sincerely in any of the scenes he has been in so far.  There is always this tiny little clenched jaw aspect to his smiles.  He is always aware of the cameras and always on for them.  And not in the way that Jinjer and the rest are like simple little rats going after their daily piece of cheese if they navigate the same maze like they do day in and day out.  I also noticed that at least twice tonight he seemed to have a moment of almost pissing himself he was so happy to be on tv.  I don't think "Jinje" is an affectionate nickname so much as the code word the Holy Goalie has given this step in his bid for glory no matter how short and simple it really is.

I'm pretty sure Jinjer is saying Downtown.  Not just a simple slurring of the syllables and gargling on her "g"s (oh the rich irony there huh 'J' inje?)  I suspect she thinks it is named after that famous abbey she keeps hearing about that played such a pivotal role in British history.

• Love 16
35 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

John David seems to have a really dry sense of humor.  

He's starting to strike me as one of those guys who seems like a dolt on the surface but is actually pretty funny once you get to know him. Anna also had a dry wit before Joshgates sucked the life out of her.

• Love 9

A few  observations/questions...

So Jinger can cook spaghetti  - ie she can boil water , throw in pasta , and then drain it ? Oh and Jeremy can cook pasta too, and he also likes " Mexican".

We keep hearing that Jill and  Derrick are in "Central America", but why do they never say what country they're in ? We know its "very dangerous", so apparently all countries in Central America are dangerous for some unknown reason.

Who is funding them to stay in Central America where Derrick appears to be living as a beach bum and Jill has women come to visit her at home because she's too afraid to go out, or even leave her door open? Is it the made up church they belong to in Arkansas ( or should I say North America) ?

So Ben wants to start a football camp and can't wait until his son is old enough to play ? Has he ever played on a football team ? Since their religion doesn't allow them  to high school or college, how is he now an expert on football ?

• Love 1

Oh boy, we think Jill is a clinger? I think Jing is going to top her! She just strains her face up to Jeremy and it's almost akin to prick-teasing - like "I want to kiss you soo bad, but we can't."  I think Jing was very attached to Jessa and has been lost without her these last couple of years.  Now Jer is her new bff, and maybe because Jessa is the one who instigated it, Jing is all in.  Hopefully they really will be a good match.  I'm afraid Jing is going to be very lonely being so far from her giant family.  Of course it's not like Jeremy will have a 9-5 job to go to every day; he'll probably mostly "work" from home.

Jana is the one who talks wistfully about how nice it is to have the siblings together and how they've grown apart - I think she really hasn't wanted to grow up; she may be content to be the permanent SAHD.  

Why is Josie so often around in various scenes, but not Jordyn or Jenni?  

At the family lasagna dinner, was that Jessa yelling at everyone to sit down cuz they were waiting? She really is the bossy-pants of the family. Can you imagine ever hearing MEchelle command her kids like that, taking charge?  And like the OP already said, it was Jessa that corrected Josie's table manners, while "mother" did nothing. 

The Dullards - I get the feeling that something has actually happened to scare Jill so much. Maybe someone scary did come to the door, or even walk in, when just Jill and Izzy were home. Or maybe Dreck was threatened on one of his outings and when he told Jill about it, she freaked and wanted to know what the hell she was supposed to do if he doesn't come home some day. I'll be surprised if they return to Danger America. 

• Love 8

I swear I heard Boob call Jer "Derick" when they were in line for food. Anyone else notice? Boy, Boob didn't waste any time getting in line, right behind the "Guests of Honor" so as to get his spot on TV. Whatever happened to ladies first including your wife & daughters?

Is Joe starting to sport a mustache?  Still like how the brothers think they have to check out Jer.  That boat has left the shore.  

They made a big thing about Jer never having eaten with such a large family before. Ben seemed to dwell on it.  Being Italian, I'm sure Jer has eaten at a crowded family table before, not to mention eating with a large group of college or soccer friends. He may have even eaten with proper forks & knives & dinnerware. He better get used to those throwaways. 

Jill really is her mother. When they were doing the interview in CA, poor Spurge was begging to be picked up with his arms extended & I thought he said Momma.  Does she pick him up or even acknowledge him? Oh no, she rubs his arms.  Oh my. 

How nice Boob & MEchelle were able to grift, oops gift, air conditioners to the Dullards in CA.  I guess they were written off as SOS donations.

Can't believe this was the first time they roasted hot dogs over a campfire or grill.  They seem befuddled by the whole process.  I noticed, too, that the table was still littered with trash when they showed the black light on it. Even after being warned about animals & just common sense, no wonder unwanted guests showed up. Idiots.

• Love 6

OMG...flipped by this last night and Jinge was explaining about her soccer-jersey love-interest pillow, which was cringe-worthy for several reasons.....1) she sounded and acted like my sister did when she won a stuffed bear at a carnival in 3rd grade;  2) it felt like she was explaining the fundie version of pre-marital sex. 

Then I thought I saw a preview where she is "saving" her ring finger from potential danger....please tell me this did not happen. Wasn't there supposed to be hope for Jinge?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Maria Von Trapp said:

So Ben wants to start a football camp and can't wait until his son is old enough to play ? Has he ever played on a football team ? Since their religion doesn't allow them  to high school or college, how is he now an expert on football ?

Bin did play some football. With a semi-formal team that was part of some homeschool coop situation maybe? Seems that the Seewalds arranged for at least some experiences like that for their kids, so they could do some things that wouldn't be possible in just a homeschooling-totally-on-your-own scenario. Mike Seewald is nuts, but it appears he's not nearly as nuts as the Duggars.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

The Dullards - I get the feeling that something has actually happened to scare Jill so much. Maybe someone scary did come to the door, or even walk in, when just Jill and Izzy were home. Or maybe Dreck was threatened on one of his outings and when he told Jill about it, she freaked and wanted to know what the hell she was supposed to do if he doesn't come home some day. I'll be surprised if they return to Danger America. 

When the camera panned the living area of her home, there were sheets covering every single window and the door.  I can't decide if something happened or if Jill just suddenly lost it..  Perhaps keeping sweet only kept her in check for so long and she cracked.  She quite clearly looks terrified for her life and Derrick looks as though she is being dramatic.  When she  commented on the difficult conversation about  "what do I do if you don't come home?"  he really had no reaction.  

Aside from that, what on earth does she mean by "what do I do if you don't come back?  what do I do next?"  Seriously?????  Jill, you are a grown woman with a child for fuck's sake!!!!   You really can't logically figure out that the next step is a plane ticket back to mommy and daddy?  For reals??   And what the fuck is wrong with Derrick that he chose to marry a child that has zero decision making skills?  

Edited by tabloidlover
grammar is important ya'll
  • Love 16

Tonight on Return to Arkansas, I notice how much Josiah looks like the Schmucker family.  Did Mechelle have an affair with Chester Schmucker 19 years ago? 

Laugh. Out. Loud!!!  He does!  But Chester has too many principles for that.

When Bin gets his mega-church, he can lecture the teenagers about how evil they are, and coach the football team at the same time.  And my hope for Bin and Jessa is that they do get a football team of boys followed by ten or so girls.  All natural childbirth, of course.

Did I hear Bin and the former pro player talking about pouring into the lost souls they want to save?  I don't think I've heard about pouring in the message of Jesus before.  Of course Bin is at the cutting edge I'm sure!

Edited by riverblue22
  • Love 3

1. Ben and Jessa working out with Spurge strapped to them was weird and looked dangerous to me.

2. yeah, I'm sure Jeremy has eaten with a large group/family. The Duggars are not that unique.

3. Is anyone else embarassed for Jinger? I literally cringed watching a grown woman on TV acting like a 13 year old swooning over a boy. It was SO childish and immature. 

4. Someone upthread posted how Jill seemed genuinely scared. Did something happen to scare the crap outta her like that?  She causually referred to violence in previous interviews but she really looked rattled and the talk about people coming to the door? Sounded to me like something really did happen. She isn't that good of an actress to fake fear.

5. I thought Jim Bob and Michelle have aged a lot over the past year. No body shaming intended but Michelle gained a lot weight. Guess she has been stress eating all year with the Vile Josh situation. Gives a little insight into how the Duggar cult is actually running along these days.  No very well!  She also looked strangely disconnected and out of it.  (more than usual). 

6. who thought the girls' hair was going to ignite trying to make a fire????????

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 5

Jill's pupils appeared to be dilated and her eyes were glassy, like she'd been crying non-stop or on some form of medication (which for her sake, I hope she is).  I actually felt bad for her for the first time.  She seems absolutely miserable and at a total loss.  I'm not saying it isn't her own darn fault and she needs to grow up, but she clearly needs mental help and A LOT of it. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tabloidlover said:

When the camera panned the living area of her home, there were sheets covering every single window and the door.  I can't decide if something happened or if Jill just suddenly lost it..  Perhaps keeping sweet only kept her in check for so long and she cracked.  She quite clearly looks terrified for her life and Derrick looks as though she is being dramatic.  When she  commented on the difficult conversation about  "what do I do if you don't come home?"  he really had no reaction.  

Aside from that, what on earth does she mean by "what do I do if you don't come back?  what do I do next?"  Seriously?????  Jill, you are a grown woman with a child for fuck's sake!!!!   You really can't logically figure out that the next step is a plane ticket back to mommy and daddy?  For reals??   And what the fuck is wrong with Derrick that he chose to marry a child that has zero decision making skills?  

I noticed that too.  Her house was locked up pretty tight with the windows covered. Kinda like Jill was in freak out mode.  Jill also didn't look good, as RedDelicious noted above.  She didn't have her usual Silly Jilly smile going on and truly looked scared. Derick didn't look too upset but I think he is very disconnected from reality so who the hell knows with him. He is a nutcase at best. Would he even process if Jill had a problem or would he just keep floating through life not noticing his wife is melting down? 

I really don't know much about the area they are living specifically.  Any thoughts on how dangerous it really is? Seasons' back, they had armed guards, didn't they? Is that necessary or drama? 

• Love 3

I'm going with mosquitoes.  I think they are more likely to contract the Zika virus than they are to encounter any form of violent crime.  I'm thinking that is what she is so afraid of, because it could adversely affect the health of herself, her headship i.e., holder of the quiver and their future arrows..

• Love 7

Derick is starting to venture into John Shrader/Poisonwood Bible territory. I agree that something happened and he likely shrugged it off as par for the course while Jill was scared shitless. 

When Jinger commented that Mexican food was her favorite I wondered if that was really true or whether she was just going above and beyond to appear perfect for Jeremy. She's so desperate to make this relationship work, it's embarrassing. At least Jessa played things close to the vest and made Bin work for it.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

When Jinger commented that Mexican food was her favorite I wondered if that was really true or whether she was just going above and beyond to appear perfect for Jeremy. She's so desperate to make this relationship work, it's embarrassing. At least Jessa played things close to the vest and made Bin work for it.

Jinger is the "Cool Girl Monologue" in the Fundie version of Gone Girl. 

• Love 10

Geez, Jinger, you CAN learn how to cook. It's really not that hard, especially when you don't have a regular job. I learned to make Italian food for my half-Italian, half Polish husband when we got married 26 years ago, and I thought it was a lot of fun. I didn't grow up with either cuisine but was very happy to expand our menu beyond the same 7 dinners my English grandmother made for us while I was growing up (mom and dad both worked full time). Linguini and clams are actually easier than spaghetti and meatballs and chicken piccata is also fairly simple. I suspect Jeremy didn't grow up in a household where everything was frozen and processed.

Jill looks to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Maybe some varmints like snakes got into their house. 

I can't stand seeing either Jim Bob or Michelle on my screen. Just go away.

I guess the survival camp was dreamed up by the producers as a way for the older kids to do something together out of the house. So long as their parents weren't there, I'm fine with it. I hope John David was well paid to make up the lost time from his regular work, not sure if the other brothers have a job now.

• Love 5

I liked when Joy said people get sappy during courtship. Except for Jessa. I don't think Jessa does sappy.  She seems to have two modes during the show-bitchy or laughing at her own jokes nervously. And I like Jessa.

• Love 1

The dinner scene was so awkward. There was this one part when Ben was asking Jeremy about eating Italian food and Jeremy said that he grew up eating lots of Italian food. Been responded with something like "well never a meal this large...I bet...*dweebiest laugh ever*...*stares at Jeremy waiting for approval *." Jessa did this awkward laugh that was almost like acknowledging her husband was a moron and everyone else stayed completely silent. I literally cringed for Ben in that scene because he sounded all of 5 years old. Ben, eye-talians are used to huge meals, that lasagna was far from an average Italian meal. Also, Ben you did not lose 10 lbs in one week when you were courting Jessa, unless you are seriously morbidly obese or very very very sick, that's completely impossible. 

Jinger is embarrassing to watch. She reminds me of 13 year olds screaming and crying for Justin Bieber or any boy band in history. She should be way past that stage at her age. She acts like she's way more into him than he is into her. How many times did she say I love you? How many times did he? I'm pretty sure the ratio is something like 10:1. She's acting like this guy is way out of her league, but he's really...Kind of...Just another loser Duggar son in law. She is in for a major reality check once that love bubble bursts and she's squeezing out an army of Jesus soldiers for a guy she barely knows. 

• Love 13

My brother goes to Nicaragua once a year and has been for several years. It is dangerous altho it is somewhat better. They have locals who go everywhere with them, not necessarily as bodyguards but as a show of "they are with me". There are rebel gangs who would love to kidnap an American for either ransom or political photo ops to publicize their cause. My brother's group has been working on building a school. It grows every year. Just a few months ago they cleared a jungle area for a large building for the older kids. Years ago they brought in a water tower and did all the plumbing to provide water to the school. Before that the village carried water for a mile.

They have church services in the evening for anyone who chooses to come, but most of the Christian work on souls is more of the example they set with attitude and actions. My brother loves the people from this village and has gotten to know them well, but make no mistake, the group is always on guard.

Maybe it's because I have an Appy accent but I clearly heard her say Downingtown, PA. I noticed because I have friends in West Chester, PA and they attend church in Downingtown. It's a really beautiful area.

Edited by Ina123
typos
  • Love 8

All great posts...somebody would owe me a new iPad if I'd been drinking my coffee when I read some of these posts. Lawdy mercy!!

Here's my synopsis:

1. Bin is starting to grow on me. He seems really earnest in his desire to minister to youth. He seemed sincere and like he had goals and a purpose, not just be a mouth breather that sniffles all the time.

2. Princess Prickly Pear seems to be a bit more supportive of Bin. Why would the use Spurgie for their workouts...just doesn't seem safe.  

3. Boob and Chelle...go away...

4. Muffy looks really unhappy.  Wouldn't be surprised if SOS has kicked them out. Derick loves la vie bohéme...Muffy NOT liking it.  It's clear that the novelty of mission work has worn off.  That said, plenty of spiritual needs at home here. If she's not on meds, she needs to be, poor girl.

5. WTF, Josie is nearly 7 and still eats with her fingers and has to be carried everywhere? Good for Jessa calling this out.

6. Watching Jeremy being so polite during the "Eytalian Dinner Scene".  I'm all about no fuss no muss, but making someone with continental manners and sensibilities eat off plastic indoors and eat with these Philistines was pretty amusing to me. 

7. Use to think Muffy was the clinger, but now it's Jinger that bugs me. As much as I believe she deserves every bit of happiness, I'm like..."mkay, Gurl, take it down a notch, would ya?

8. Duggar boys and their unfortunate hairlines...Josiah is by far the cutest one.  JD looks like he'd make some girl a decent husband, but the poor lad is such a rube.

9. Survival episode...flip flops...FFS...at least wear tennies. Loose slacks are also modest and much more practical where there's chiggers and poison ivy.  They were warned against leaving out food...what did they do? Then Joy decides to sleep in the hammock...you're in bear country. Hope none of the girls had their period...just boggles the mind. How much of this is their own ignorance vs TLC egging them on?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

Jessa was kinda cool during the courtship and could've been a bit more affectionate.   However, Jinger is really embrassing. Doesn't she know how foolish she looks? 

I expect that she's experiencing a rush of emotions and physical feelings way more powerful than anything of the kind she's ever felt before. Not sure that she could even resist that stream for a few minutes so she can get perspective about how she might look -- or perspective about anything, really.

She's being swept along with the power of all the combined emotions and physical urges that most people experience s p r e a d  o u t  over about 10 years of life, I'd guess. She hasn't had any of them up to now so there's a lot of pent up stuff in there, I would guess, both physical and mental.

It's like unexpectedly driving your car into that proverbial two feet of water. Whoooosh goes Jinger.

And nobody in her family (the only people she knows) would say anything because the kids have lived their lives in the same way, so it probably doesn't look a bit weird to them. And of course her disgusting parents are only thinking about what might make Good TeeVee.

Poor Jinger.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 17
Just now, Churchhoney said:

And nobody in her family (the only people she knows) would say anything because the kids have lived their lives in the same way, so it probably doesn't look a bit weird to them. And of course her disgusting parents are only thinking about what makes Good TeeVee.

And yet, they all voyeuristically hover around the newest lovebirds, gleefully and creepily watching their every move, and even the littles crowd up on the windowsill to watch what should be a private moment between Jinge and Jer (except for, you know, the 14 camera guys, the lighting person, the boom operator, craft services, etc).

• Love 12
4 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

And yet, they all voyeuristically hover around the newest lovebirds, gleefully and creepily watching their every move, and even the littles crowd up on the windowsill to watch what should be a private moment between Jinge and Jer (except for, you know, the 14 camera guys, the lighting person, the boom operator, craft services, etc).

Well, I'd guess they're mostly living vicariously through every courtship that comes along. Not only haven't any of them had enough experience of this stuff for themselves, they aren't even generally allowed to watch much tv or movies or even read books that would give them these experiences vicariously, are they? And when I say "these experiences," I mean even Jane Austen-level romance, not even anything steamy. They really are deprived. You'd almost certainly even be afraid to fantasize much in that family because you have people AROUND YOU all the damn time so you would fear to give yourself away. Plus fantasizing can send you STRAIGHT TO HELL, right? They can use all the allowed means of living vicariously that they can get.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

Regarding the dinner, I think poor Bin was trying to break up the awkward silence and failing miserably. Nobody was talking and the whole vibe was really weird and uncomfortable. The family just sat there shoveling food into their mouths while avoiding eye contact and conversation. Fun times.

• Love 19
6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Regarding the dinner, I think poor Bin was trying to break up the awkward silence and failing miserably. Nobody was talking and the whole vibe was really weird and uncomfortable. The family just sat there shoveling food into their mouths while avoiding eye contact and conversation. Fun times.

You would think they were strangers.  And the people lagging behind in the kitchen didn't know the people at the table were waiting for them before they began.  I'm wondering how often they actually eat at the table together.  I doubt Jeremy has ever seen anything like that outside of sports and college.  Jing needs to spend some time with Jeremy's family and learn a few things because the Duggars have no manners at all.

And I couldn't believe the way they left those picnic tables after their hot dog, potato chip, smores dinner!

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

You would think they were strangers. 

I don't think they have anything to say.

They can't convert each other or testify, since they're all so godly already. They literally know no other subjects to talk about. And despite their protestations that they wish they saw each other more to talk, years of photographs suggest that, in fact, they're all hanging out together on the TTH bus-waiting-room couches scanning cellphones constantly with, apparently, nothing they actually want to talk to each other about.

Plus, since anybody in that family might turn out to be a spy and a snitch or is already well known to be a highly judgmental jerk just waiting to be snitched to, nobody's likely to hazard anything like freeform talking. The risk would never be worth it. And a temptation to free-range conversation probably comes from Satan anyway.

• Love 14

I feel bad for Bin.  In another life, raised by another family, he could have been a teacher.  (Maybe he would have had better genes as far as intelligence goes, too.) He clearly likes kids and wants to help them.  The only acceptable way for him to do this in his culture is to become a minister (somehow) and and (somehow) do a "football ministry."   What he really is cut out for is to be a camp counselor at a fundie day camp.  

Edited by KariLois
  • Love 13
10 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

$20 says Triple D has no life insurance and has not made a will. If he wants to hang out in Danger America, perhaps it might be prudent to obtain both while he is back in the good ol' USA. His Stage 5 clinger wife would be unable to function in any meaningful way (or earn anything but reality TV cash) if he was not in the picture.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Jilly Muffin went straight from Daddy to HusbandDaddy. She cannot function in any meaningful way alone because she's never had to. Her parents have kept those kidults so sheltered and ignorant of the world and everything in it that they are most likely paralyzed with fear at the idea they'd actually have to fend for themselves. I didn't watch last night's episode, but it sounds like shit just got real. If he hasn't figured it out by now, Triple D wanted a submissive virgin for a wife. He sure as hell got one, along with the fact that she and her siblings never did things like hold a job outside the home or go off to college so they'd have to develop decision-making skills.

I'm guessing there is a long list of "what's wrong with Triple D". Number one on that list was the fact he married a woman he didn't know who has had no meaningful formal education, has never held a job, cannot take care of herself OR their baby in an effective manner, and now he's stuck. It'll be interesting to see what he does next.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I think Ben was aware of how awkward and stiff the vibe was and was trying to joke around with everyone. It didn't work but I give him credit for at least being aware of the situation.

Food for Jessa for correcting Josie.  It appears to me (and all of us) that josie has some delays. I work with speical needs children and if she is delayed then she needs to be taught to eat with utensil...maybe get her some Occupational Therapy to work on fine motor skills? Or help the child!  At least Jessa recognized that it's not Ok to eat lasagna with your fingers and told her to use a fork. I think that was my favorite moment on the show EVER.  Jessa was pretty snippy about it too! i enjoyed that.  

Jill does not look well.  

• Love 14
5 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

I honestly didn't see her as looking terrified for her life, but it does look like she's had a bit of a wakeup call as to the dangers of the "mission" field. Apparently it ain't all sunshine and lollipops, living the hippie life in the jungle. She seemed happy enough and she and Derick seemed to be doing well as a team.

I've had sheets over my doors and windows on really hot days, it helps block the sun and keep the house cooler. 

I thought Derick reacted when she asked what she should do if he didn't come home, just not dramatically. I don't think Derick really does dramatic, I don't think he needs to with Jill around. But he did acknowledge the question by nodding his head and urging her to continue. That's a reasonable question for her to be asking and it should apply to any new parents - you want to make sure your children are cared for should something happen to one or both of you. Knowing who and when to call for help if Derick doesn't come home in CA is far different than what she'd do if she were home. Does she call SOS to handle it? Does she call the police first? Should she grab Izzy and go looking? Does she call a neighbor? 

I surely hope that SOS has provided them with life insurance coverage and that he made sure they had a policy once Izzy came along. Can't imagine his Mom wouldn't be making sure that happened.

• Love 5

I'd imagine wake up calls are pretty freaking loud when all you know of the world and the people outside your back door is that they are heathens that need to be saved by YOU. #4542 on the list of 3874384 things that bug me Duggarology is how totally narcissistic it is. Believe it or not, splitting hairs over Jesus flavors is not the top priority in the lives of people in developing countries, nor should it be. My military dad was stationed in southern Italy when I was a young'un and OH MY GOD, you should have heard the way some of the servicepeople and dependents wailed about the lack of Burger Kings like their human rights were being violated. Somehow Muffy strikes me as this type.

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Food for Jessa for correcting Josie.  It appears to me (and all of us) that josie has some delays. I work with speical needs children and if she is delayed then she needs to be taught to eat with utensil...maybe get her some Occupational Therapy to work on fine motor skills? Or help the child!  At least Jessa recognized that it's not Ok to eat lasagna with your fingers and told her to use a fork. I think that was my favorite moment on the show EVER.  Jessa was pretty snippy about it too! i enjoyed that.  

I don't know if Josie has delays or if they've coddled her to the point of being spoiled. Michelle said absolutely nothing to her about using her fork, it was Jessa who had to speak up. Why wasn't Michelle correcting her? I can't imagine Jessa would have insisted on the fork if she knew for a fact that Josie wasn't capable of doing so.

• Love 14
36 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I don't think they have anything to say.

They can't convert each other or testify, since they're all so godly already. They literally know no other subjects to talk about. And despite their protestations that they wish they saw each other more to talk, years of photographs suggest that, in fact, they're all hanging out together on the TTH bus-waiting-room couches scanning cellphones constantly with, apparently, nothing they actually want to talk to each other about.

Plus, since anybody in that family might turn out to be a spy and a snitch or is already well known to be a highly judgmental jerk just waiting to be snitched to, nobody's likely to hazard anything like freeform talking. The risk would never be worth it. And a temptation to free-range conversation probably comes from Satan anyway.

This is a fascinating point - all those people, and they have little to nothing to say to each other.  They aren't well-read, they don't watch tv/movies/sports, they don't hold jobs.  I'm thinking of an ordinary day at my own house, where hubby and I talk about work, ask our kids about school, attend their sporting events and talk to other parents about random things, etc.  I have a good friends who I can vent to about anything, and they do the same with me.  I'd go nuts if I couldn't connect with people through talking.

And yet, this huge family has nothing to say to each other because they don't do much of anything worth discussing.  It must actually be a very lonely life, to be surrounded by people and have no meaningful connection to them except that they are related to you.

No wonder poor Bin tried to make some semblance of conversation.  I'd do the same thing if I were sitting in a room full of people where the only sounds were chewing and plastic forks scraping against Styrofoam.

• Love 14
18 hours ago, cereality said:

Kind of glad they catered that meal for Jeremy. Though given how wealthy they are and knowing you're feeding an Italian (i.e. people who love good food), couldn't they have ordered something more than a lasagna + salad?? Like a few sides? I sincerely hope when they meet Jeremy's parents -- if it happens in Arkansas -- they cater again and splurge for a full meal.

I can already foresee some irritation from his family when they realize their son's wedding won't feature a sit down meal but rather Costco sheet cake or Dixie cups of ice cream or whatever it is Jinger likes for dessert.

And love how Bin and Jessa know they have to plant themselves in a conversation in order to get the camera on them to keep the TLC money rolling. LOVED Bin's well thought out question of -- Jeremy do you still have an appetite? REALLY? Bc when I met Jessa I lost 10 lb in one week!?

Food poisoning from eating off licked clean dishes I presume?  Someone wasn't watching Josie!  Seriously how could you be in that house and not get dysentery?  Screw Jenny Craig, stay at the Duggars for a few weeks!  Weight will just fall off.

I had to laugh at myself reading this thread.  I have been dealing with a sick cat so my days are off.  I was reading this thinking MAN, I really don't pay attention because this isn't familiar at all.  Then I remembered it was on last night.  Ha!  

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Aja said:

My military dad was stationed in southern Italy when I was a young'un and OH MY GOD, you should have heard the way some of the servicepeople and dependents wailed about the lack of Burger Kings like their human rights were being violated. Somehow Muffy strikes me as this type.

I went to a very conservative Christian college, despite being a very politically modeate Jew (long story), and went on a couple of school trips with people who remind me very much of slightly less sheltered Duggars.

A recurring theme on both trips (one to New Orleans and one to Europe) was not enjoying new experiences but instead complaining about how unfamiliar it was. There was no effort whatsoever to enjoy the experience from most of them. I distinctly remember being in New Orleans and them wanting to eat at Pizza Hut instead of, you know, experiencing the glorious food the city is known for.

I literally had to bully my group of friends into going to a local restaurant and ordering something native to the area. There were similar meltdowns (from them and me) throughout all of Europe. I spent a lot of telling people "You're in freaking Europe! Stop whining! Try new things!" 

Quite a few of my classmates went on to do missions work in Southeast Asia after graduating, and I see a lot of JIll's experiences in their chronicles of their adventures on social media. There's the initial, very brief honeymoon stage that is quickly followed by freaking out and isolating themselves. 

• Love 14
39 minutes ago, Clemgo3165 said:

I don't know if Josie has delays or if they've coddled her to the point of being spoiled. Michelle said absolutely nothing to her about using her fork, it was Jessa who had to speak up. Why wasn't Michelle correcting her? I can't imagine Jessa would have insisted on the fork if she knew for a fact that Josie wasn't capable of doing so.

I have a feeling Michelle is trying to keep Josie a baby for as long as possible.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, tenativelyyours said:

Maybe before the sisterwives in training and their dimbulb brothers trek into the woods to learn survival, they should all sit their asses at home and learn how to simply live.  That many adults in a house and they are "too busy" to cook dinner?  Something that should be old hat by now?  Busy doing what may I ask?  Lasagna is perhaps one of the easiest dishes to make for a large family and they can't even pull a frozen set out and put it in the oven?  Actually sending them out into the woods to survive sounds like a good idea.  Send them all out in the woods.  The taiga in Siberia perhaps or somewhere in Alaska.  Just for four hours.  It would break them.

Exactly what is Bin bringing to the table that he thinks is already pulled up in a chair?  He hasn't even mastered social media yet-- taking blurry photos; from the wrong angle; horrible lighting.  So what else is there?  How to sit on a couch the right way to play on your iphone for hours without cramping?  How to learn how to get by the baby locks on everything without having to ask your wife for help.  For the third time.    This didn't help erase the constant image I have of Bin trying to navigate the house and usually ending up tangled hopelessly and helplessly in the baby gate. 

I think a huge part of Holy Goalie's looks problem is he cannot for the life of him smile sincerely in any of the scenes he has been in so far.  There is always this tiny little clenched jaw aspect to his smiles.  He is always aware of the cameras and always on for them.  And not in the way that Jinjer and the rest are like simple little rats going after their daily piece of cheese if they navigate the same maze like they do day in and day out.  I also noticed that at least twice tonight he seemed to have a moment of almost pissing himself he was so happy to be on tv.  I don't think "Jinje" is an affectionate nickname so much as the code word the Holy Goalie has given this step in his bid for glory no matter how short and simple it really is.

I'm pretty sure Jinjer is saying Downtown.  Not just a simple slurring of the syllables and gargling on her "g"s (oh the rich irony there huh 'J' inje?)  I suspect she thinks it is named after that famous abbey she keeps hearing about that played such a pivotal role in British history.

Or you could send them to a rave.  Show them what kids their age are actually doing rather than Pumping Out Blessings For Jesus.  They need survival skills for both and I think they would do better out in the woods.  And I would be laughing my behind off.  Can you imagine?  Bin, what are those glowing lights for?  Why are people so thirsty?

THIS 2nd bolded?  Hilarious!  I will have a hard time getting that out of my mind.  Good thing he has a helpmeet.  

• Love 4