Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: It's Official!

• Start Topic

Jeremy has his first meal with the family, and Jinger taps Jill and Derick for courtship advice. Meanwhile, Ben and Jessa talk about his plan for youth outreach; and the older Duggar siblings take wilderness survival training.

58 minutes ago, 88Keys said:

That actually sounds like a jam-packed episode.  I mean, I'm sure it will be a snooze but at least they are making an effort to do something besides recap last season.

Unless I see them moving a log cabin with brute strength...

Or raking and sweeping the forest floor, of course.

Face it. These people could make a UFO landing boring.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Wait a minute, hadn't Jeremy already been around for a year by the time he and Jinger started courting? They really expect us to believe he hasn't eaten a meal with the family in this whole time?

I assume it means that it's the first time he's eaten with the family as a presumptive member of said family. It's all in the fundie details. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Wait a minute, hadn't Jeremy already been around for a year by the time he and Jinger started courting? They really expect us to believe he hasn't eaten a meal with the family in this whole time?

I wouldn't eat there if I could help it. ; )

• Love 14

Was that a man bun I saw on one of the survival guys ?

I wish the survival guy would give the girls hell for wearing skirts & flip flops instead of the "I'll keep an eye on  them" attitude. Call me mean & I'm not wishing them harm, but I wish one of the girls would have a minor mishap (bad scratch, stepping on rock, breaking a flip flop, etc) to make them realize that there are times when skirts & flip flops aren't practical. To the closet I go....

• Love 21

I don't understand the older siblings' obsession with -- these times are soooo special bc we don't get to hang out anymore. Um -- 19 kids and 16 of you live and home and none are gainfully employed (though JD does stuff) or in school, you really don't have time to grab a coffee with Joseph or Jedidiah if you miss them so much?? And yes, I too wish the instructors had said - no skirts, go to Walmart and buy some jeans and meet us back here in 20 min if you want to participate. And when they showed the picnic table with that night vision camera -- didn't it look like there were open bags of chips, remaining paper plates etc. left there? I hope I saw that wrong bc who does that out in the woods where there are bears?

Could Jill be any more miserable in Central America? Derick does seem happy though. I honestly don't think he's bothered by the living conditions or anything, and I REALLY think he is NOT interested in being a white collar type of guy who needs to sit at a desk 40 hrs/wk. I think he wants to be out and about all day long -- and if that means he needs to do bogus missions in remote places, he's up for it even if he has to be the headship and drag his wife along.

Jeremy looked more handsome in this episode. What's the deal with him -- why does he look different in every photo and video?? He is a Philly Italian -- he just is, having grown up with so many of those guys. He mentioned Italian food and his mother/grandmother's cooking so many times. He's going to have some expectations of Jinger whipping up dinner for him if his basis for comparison is his Italian mother's cooking. And how can Jinger grow up in a household of 19 where the girls run the household and NOT know how to cook? Has she really never cooked?? Or did she not want to say bc they typically just throw together processed things involving canned food or tater tots?

• Love 15

Did I hear them say they bought take out for the dinner with Jeremy?  What happened to saving the difference and that big kitchen?  They can't even throw the frozen lasagna trays in the oven now?  I am going to be really embarrassed when Jinge has to introduce her family to Jeremy's.  Actually, I am going to LMAO at the nasty meal the Dugs will serve.  

Oh really!  Survival training?  JD talked about it preparing one for being dropped off in the middle of nowhere.  Well most people don't get dropped off with hot dogs, buns, all you need for smores, and a motel on wheels. 

The girls should be slapped silly for the flip flops and skirts.  In real life they would have been eaten alive by mosquitoes, chiggers, etc.  

The boys were more than annoying the entire episode.  They will NEVER find a help mate.  I can't even imagine fundie girls that can tolerate their stupidity. 

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 18
20 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

I wish the survival guy would give the girls hell for wearing skirts & flip flops instead of the "I'll keep an eye on  them" attitude. 

The "survival guys" were told before the episode began (I'm guessing) that this was all pretend and the Duggars had no intention of spending any real time in the wilderness. 

They clean up broken glass in flip-flops and skirts. Of COURSE they can handle fire, brush, and wild animals in the same attire.

• Love 2

OK so which is it, the couple decides on rules or the per Joe, the Duggar rules?  Jeremy didn't really get specific about the rules but they sure do seem to be a lot closer than the other courting couples were.  

Do all the girls use a hard "g" at the end of ing words?  

Jill is really ready to come back home but I think Derrick is happy to be in CA.  

• Love 1

Kind of glad they catered that meal for Jeremy. Though given how wealthy they are and knowing you're feeding an Italian (i.e. people who love good food), couldn't they have ordered something more than a lasagna + salad?? Like a few sides? I sincerely hope when they meet Jeremy's parents -- if it happens in Arkansas -- they cater again and splurge for a full meal.

I can already foresee some irritation from his family when they realize their son's wedding won't feature a sit down meal but rather Costco sheet cake or Dixie cups of ice cream or whatever it is Jinger likes for dessert.

And love how Bin and Jessa know they have to plant themselves in a conversation in order to get the camera on them to keep the TLC money rolling. LOVED Bin's well thought out question of -- Jeremy do you still have an appetite? REALLY? Bc when I met Jessa I lost 10 lb in one week!?

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, truthtalk2014 said:

Did I hear them say they bought take out for the dinner with Jeremy?  What happened to saving the difference and that big kitchen?  They can't even throw the frozen lasagna trays in the oven now?  I am going to be really embarrassed when Jinge has to introduce her family to Jeremy's.  Actually, I am going to LMAO at the nasty meal the Dugs will serve.  

Oh really!  Survival training?  JD talked about it preparing one for being dropped off in the middle of nowhere.  Well most people don't get dropped off with hot dogs, buns, all you need for smores, and a motel on wheels. 

The girls should be slapped silly for the flip flops and skirts.  In real life they would have been eaten alive by mosquitoes, chiggers, etc.  

The boys were more than annoying the entire episode.  They will NEVER find a help mate.  I can't even imagine fundie girls that can tolerate their stupidity. 

Stop. All this talk about about how annoying the boys were is almost making me want to watch it, just to wallow. AND I DON'T WATCH IT. That's one of the few principles I have that I actually adhere to. ;  )

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6

Ben is getting hard for me to dislike.  He is just so so earnest!  I'm now thinking he may have made a better mate for Jill than Derick.  In fact, I'm starting to think they should all be mixed-Jessa/Jeremy, Jill/Ben and that leaves Derick for Jinger, I guess.

Edited by flyingdi
Heads? I meant Derick, I think something happened to my brain watching this ep.
  • Love 4

A few observations:

When they were giving Jer's history, somehow I didn't hear college mentioned.  Funny that.

Loved when Boob questioned "who made the lasagna?"  I had already answered "Stouffer's" but they did explain they got carryout cuz they were all busy, or something like that. I guess the Smug family  was asked to eat in the second seating so as not to appear on camera. Still waiting to hear his & Anna's marriage advice to his sister.

My favorite is  when they show a flashback of Ben asking Jessa to court in the family office with parents looking on.  It looked like she was getting called to see the principal by the look on her face. "Who, me??"  No one can ever replicate that romantic scene. 

Boy those Duggar girls are crafty making pillows from "their man's" shirts.  Except they are a little behind.  My son's preschool class made pillows out of the school t-shirts they wore on trips. That was about 25 years ago. 

Someone remind me - why are they on a survival trip & some of them are staying in the RV?  Even though that is hazardous in itself. 

Ben & Jessa going to "the" gym. Glad Jessa has time to work out rather than sitting around all day (or whatever she said.) I was hoping Spurgey wouldn't get hurt if Ben lost his balance & fell on him.  

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, truthtalk2014 said:

Here's a question: Does The Holy Goalie know his future wife can't cook yet?

Was getting an actual virgin so important to Triple D, Bin and now The Holy Goalie that it doesn't seem to matter to them that those wives don't know the first thing about housekeeping, cooking, or how to reheat a Stouffer's party pan of lasagne?

17 minutes ago, JennyMominFL said:

Every time one of them says anything relating to "season of life", I want to throw up. Just me?

There's probably a bounty on it from the production staff. Certain number of mentions per episode: Extra money in the ol' pay packet.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, auntieminem said:

Do all the girls use a hard "g" at the end of ing words?  

It is supposed to be a hard g at the end of ing words.  A soft g is a j sounds.  Some of them add a k sound.  :)  The k is not called to be there. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, truthtalk2014 said:

Feral Josie makes a grand return eating lasagna with her fingers.  I was happy that Jessa called her out on it. But, she continued anyway.  How old is she anyway?  Still being carried!  WTF?  

She's 6. I could post pics of me in the first grade in the front row, smaller than everyone but one boy. I was never carried, and I knew how to eat with utensils. I have a picture of me vehemently rejecting peas (still can't stand 'em). Had a fork in my left hand. :D

• Love 9

Caught the last 10 min.  Can someone elaborate more on the realities of the danger Jerick is facing?  Jill seemed quite frightened, as did the family, for their welfare.  In their area, are they targets, and particularly Israel?  There  seemed to be much more of an undertone of danger now than when they initially went, complete with scary music playing. Jill doesn't seem excited any more about the missionary adventure, seems like she just wants to go home!  

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, cereality said:

. He mentioned Italian food and his mother/grandmother's cooking so many times. He's going to have some expectations of Jinger whipping up dinner for him if his basis for comparison is his Italian mother's cooking. And how can Jinger grow up in a household of 19 where the girls run the household and NOT know how to cook? Has she really never cooked?? Or did she not want to say bc they typically just throw together processed things involving canned food or tater tots?

Every time I think of him eating at their house, I just crack up because I can't help but remember that scene in Boardwalk Empire where Bobby Cannavale's Italian gangster character is confronted with spaghetti and meatballs made by non-Italian people and asks the waitress to explain what it is. It's a great scene already, but I just LMAO even more transposing Duggars into that moment. 

I would link to a video, but sadly, the scene in its entirety is not on YouTube. :'(

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, awaken said:

In their area, are they targets, and particularly Israel?  There  seemed to be much more of an undertone of danger now than when they initially went, complete with scary music playing. Jill doesn't seem excited any more about the missionary adventure, seems like she just wants to go home!  

:clears throat:

I realize that I am old and cynical, but it's hard to believe that SOS would continue to bring in the missioncationers if there was a risk of anything bad happening to the candy-distributing, interpretive dancing groups that visit each year. Any unfortunate incident would cause the money spigot to dry up.

Jilly Muffin wants to come home. There's no Starbucks, she has to walk to the Wal Mart, and someone may or may not have called her a gringa. Of course this means danger! We're also being treated to the scripting and storyboarding TLC is doing with this show to create some drama. These people are as boring to watch as a test pattern. 

• Love 24
20 minutes ago, loloandco said:

Jessa is wearing pants while working out with Spurgeon!

With a skirt over it.  Cannot take these dolts anymore.  Oh Ben, you are such a sweet and silly dullard.  Worst of all Dim Bulb and MEchelle in many scenes, and the hint of Joshley in the fitness quest.  Slowly they (re)turn, inch by inch, step by step.

• Love 15

I'm confused about Jin & Jer saying "I love you"  but I think it may have to do with the timing of things (taping for the show). I thought saying I Love you would be part of the engagement phase, not be allowed to be said while courting. Didn't Jin tell Jer she loved him when he asked her to court?   Then tonite it looked like Boob was going to pop a vein when he saw that Jin wrote I love you on Jer's cup.  Even when they were at Jessa's, they both sounded like marriage is definitely their next step even tho they had just started courting &Jin had just explained that courting is the getting to know you process.  How many times did we have to hear about  them about being on the Fast Track to marriage? Which I'd much rather hear than Season of Life.  In their case, why didn't they just skip the courting phase & go with the engagement phase (like most of us do) since they both seem to be in love & ready to go? I know it's just the Fundie way of doing things & you have to play within the rules. Well at least we know Jin & Jer's courtship wasn't as long as Benessa's, who had to have had one of the longest ones in Fundie history. 

On  a side note,  what a difference there is in the maturity level of Jer compared with Bin or any of the Duggars. It's nice he can get a competent thought out without stuttering & stammering.  But somehow I see that dwindling after drinking the Kool aid. 

• Love 4

Old to the forum, but fairly new to the show.  They all pronounce the word "chaperone" strangely I think. Can't be the Arkansas accent as I live in Oklahoma,  but it's a bit off. Gosh, these people are boring. And Bin and Jessa, gyms are not safe for babies.

ETA- Were those dinosaur pj's that Spud had on? Do they believe in dinosaurs?

Edited by jacksgirl
Stupid auto correct
  • Love 7

Babies belong in the childcare part of gyms that offer them. My gym is 16 and over. No childcare. Ben is just trying to be endearing but looking stupid in the process. Seriously, at a party, put your hulk baby on your back and do a dead lift or something. Anything where your back doesn't....uh.....move. 

You fucking idiot. 

Love, GymRat

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

I have many thoughts, but will need to organize them after watching this dim group of people.  

First - Ben and Jessa have zero chemistry together.  

Second - Ben seems more dumb every time I see him. He always looks like he's trying to think and nothing is happening. Did he really ask the former nfl player what HE was bringing to the table?? Umm, Ben sweetie, you must first be bringing something to the table yourself before you can ask that of another person.  Have Jessa write that down for future reference. Oh ya, and get a freakin JOB if you want to mentor youth!! Are you going to mentor them into becoming baby daddies with no jobs?  Idiot.

Jinger - we get it. You're in what we sinners call Puppy Love. It typically fades away around age 13. Good luck with that.

Boob - Josie is way too old to be allowed to eat with her fingers at the dinner table - especially in front of guests. She is also way too old to be carried around like that all the time. 

Jill - we get it, you HATE danger America and the mission field.  Just come home already and quit your bitchin.

producers - what's with trying to mess with the timelines?  Derrick has hair long enough for a manbun and the courtship was "recently" announced. Yet in the talking heads, his hair is much, much shorter.  Better editing people - not all of us are as slow as those you film for a living..

Also more evidence that the courtship happened in the spring, not in fucking late June when they released the news. 

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

ETA- We're those dinosaur pj's that Spud had on? Do they believe in dinosaurs?

Not only do they believe in them, they believe that they were running around on Earth at the same time as people like, well, like Spurgeon. An ancient Spurgeon could have ridden a dinosaur, in the days before you could have them printed on your pajamas. Seriously.

They are idjits.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

It is supposed to be a hard g at the end of ing words.  A soft g is a j sounds.  Some of them add a k sound.  :)  The k is not called to be there. 

I've noticed Jana and Joy Anna putting that k sound at the end of words and thought it was odd

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

I've noticed Jana and Joy Anna putting that k sound at the end of words and thought it was odd

All the older girls do it at times, but Jana and Joy are the worst offenders. 

As far as "fast track" goes, the Bateseseseses beat them to admitting it. 

7 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

Downtown Pennsylvania? Is that a place?

This family is so effing nuts. And I'm pretty sure Jeremy is too.

It's Downingtown Pa a suburb about 30 min away from Philadelphia; though you couldn't hear it the way Jinger said it or she doesn't know the difference.

• Love 4

I liked the segment with Ben and the football player because the guy had the cutest kid I've seen all week.

Maybe I missed this but do they ever say what Ben does for a living? Does he even have a pretend job? What does he do all day?  Does that ever come up?  I suppose that's true about all of the Duggar adults...do you think the TLC money is enough for all of them to live on.  I don't get the complete lack of a work ethic. It seems unGodly to me.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Missy Vixen said:

Here's a question: Does The Holy Goalie know his future wife can't cook yet?

Was getting an actual virgin so important to Triple D, Bin and now The Holy Goalie that it doesn't seem to matter to them that those wives don't know the first thing about housekeeping, cooking, or how to reheat a Stouffer's party pan of lasagne?

There's probably a bounty on it from the production staff. Certain number of mentions per episode: Extra money in the ol' pay packet.

LOL-omg, you're killing me!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Barb23 said:

A few observations:

When they were giving Jer's history, somehow I didn't hear college mentioned.  Funny that.

Loved when Boob questioned "who made the lasagna?"  I had already answered "Stouffer's" but they did explain they got carryout cuz they were all busy, or something like that. I guess the Smug family  was asked to eat in the second seating so as not to appear on camera. Still waiting to hear his & Anna's marriage advice to his sister.

My favorite is  when they show a flashback of Ben asking Jessa to court in the family office with parents looking on.  It looked like she was getting called to see the principal by the look on her face. "Who, me??"  No one can ever replicate that romantic scene. 

Boy those Duggar girls are crafty making pillows from "their man's" shirts.  Except they are a little behind.  My son's preschool class made pillows out of the school t-shirts they wore on trips. That was about 25 years ago. 

Someone remind me - why are they on a survival trip & some of them are staying in the RV?  Even though that is hazardous in itself. 

Ben & Jessa going to "the" gym. Glad Jessa has time to work out rather than sitting around all day (or whatever she said.) I was hoping Spurgey wouldn't get hurt if Ben lost his balance & fell on him.  

They are only allowed to "side-hug" those pillows right?

• Love 12

The puppy love thing is so annoying. We get it -- he's your BEST friend EVER. Guess what - it feels like he's your BFF bc he's pretty much your ONLY friend ever since you weren't allowed to have those -- unless they came with a fundie mega family attached and then I guess they are ALL your friends. But seriously the amount of "concern" about not having cell reception in the woods? I guarantee they were not there for more than 2 nights -- the first night in the RV and the 2nd night it looks like the previews show everyone sleeps outdoors. And then I bet they left. So you can't survive 48 hrs w/o your man!?

Looks like they have some advertisers again -- saw a Black and Decker commercial; some allergy med etc. But clearly there's not enough bc there were some LONG TLC commercials. What was the whole clip re Styling with Spurge?? Instead of just showing some outfits, we get to watch Bin strip his son and wrangle him into a onsie?? Seriously TLC -- need to kill 3-4 min??

• Love 13