Type keyword(s) to search

S23: Amber Rose: Calling Out The Steps

• Start Topic

I am not a Julianne fan, but she did not say anything wrong.   Amber seems to be the type who likes to keep her name in the news and to stir the pot.  The dance was awkward and uncomfortable.

• Love 3

I'm curious that the people who find this dance vulgar, haven't found Val and Kelly M's underwear dance vulgar, or Gleb and Jenna's boob grab/several innuendos during their Jive vulgar. Both dances had costuming or choreography that could be deemed as unnecessarily "sexy." 

Disclaimer: This is pure curiosity/devil's advocate. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone really. 

• Love 4

I personally said nothing of vulgar, but Val and Kelly's surfer flamenco was uncomfortable. Val thought so, too, when they redid it for the 150th or 200th episode celebration.

And Gleb, who is objectively an attractive man, also makes me uncomfortable in general and that has nothing to do with his body.

• Love 1

Maks and Amber are the most disappointing couple of the season for me.  Initially I was happy to see Maks back because I enjoy watching him dance.  I was looking forward to this pairing because Amber is so gorgeous, tall, and seemingly has some degree of (exotic) dance background.  But Amber can't dance, for whatever reasons.  I don't know if it's that she's intensely uncomfortable in her own skin, has no musicality, is lacking flexibility, or all of the above.  It really doesn't matter what the reasons are, the fact is she can't dance and is extremely unlikely to improve.  Maks looks totally defeated and bored.  The pair of them look to be completely over it, and wishing they were anywhere else.  Beyond that, they have zero chemistry.  They don't come off like they dislike each other, rather they're completely indifferent to each other.  It's uncomfortable to watch, and I'm hoping they get voted out soon.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, PTVjones said:

I'm curious that the people who find this dance vulgar, haven't found Val and Kelly M's underwear dance vulgar,

FWIW, I also found Val and Kelly's entire partnership uncomfortable to watch, not just that one dance.

I hate to break it to Amber, but pointing out the truth about something is not "shaming". (A term which I find stupid and irritating)

• Love 3

I'm curious that the people who find this dance vulgar, haven't found Val and Kelly M's underwear dance vulgar, or Gleb and Jenna's boob grab/several innuendos during their Jive vulgar. Both dances had costuming or choreography that could be deemed as unnecessarily "sexy." 

I find a lot of the dance moves vulgar - twerking, slapping the woman's bum, boob grabs, crotch grabs - as well as the Mandy stripper numbers.  I mentioned Amber's dance in the context of the discussion of her accusation of  body shaming and how people found the dance uncomfortable and why.

Edited by treeofdreams
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, PTVjones said:

Disclaimer: This is pure curiosity/devil's advocate. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone really. 

Yes, I was uncomfortable with Gleb and Jana's boob grabbing, butt slapping stuff. It's not sexiness in general I disapprove of. Argentine Tango is my favorite dance, and there's plenty of sexiness there. But there is a line for me. Less is more vs in your face, maybe? I don't know if I can really explain it. It's not just Amber and/or twerking.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, majormama said:

Less is more vs in your face, maybe? I don't know if I can really explain it.

I think there's a difference in something actually being sexy and something going through the motions of being sexy. Like, if you're miming boob grabbing and butt slapping and hip thrusting, that's not sexy. That's trying too hard to be sexy.

That goes for real life, too. If you have to spell out for me it's not sexy. 

• Love 5

By the way, for those who may still be wondering why Maks had Amber wear a wig during the actual performance?  It's because they were dancing to a Jennifer Lopez song, and she was supposed to be Jennifer Lopez.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, McManda said:

I personally said nothing of vulgar, but Val and Kelly's surfer flamenco was uncomfortable. Val thought so, too, when they redid it for the 150th or 200th episode celebration.

And Gleb, who is objectively an attractive man, also makes me uncomfortable in general and that has nothing to do with his body.

Same here. 

I didn't find Maks and Amber's dance to be vulgar because it was lacking any actual heat to even be vulgar. It was uncomfortable for me in the sense that the two of them seem awkward together. So it feels like watching two terrible actors trying to convince me that they want each other and failing miserably. 

And I also despised everything about Kelly and Val's partnership. 

• Love 1

Maybe no wig makes her feel more confident. Let's have her wig-less this week and see if she comes out of her shell more. I think she dances timid, which I would not have expected at all. I still like her, I am trying to be sure they aren't giving her the "Tamar" edit. People are turning on her quickly. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

Maybe no wig makes her feel more confident. Let's have her wig-less this week and see if she comes out of her shell more. I think she dances timid, which I would not have expected at all. I still like her, I am trying to be sure they aren't giving her the "Tamar" edit. People are turning on her quickly. 

I did not have to "turn" on her.  I was disappointed to find out that the show had ever cast her in the first place.

Has there been any social media buzz about Amber's accusation?  I only saw one article on the Internet about it, and then nothing else, but I am not tuned into social media.  Any tweets, etc from Julianne, Maks, Amber, et al, or was this quickly dropped?

3 hours ago, smiley13 said:

I did not have to "turn" on her.  I was disappointed to find out that the show had ever cast her in the first place

That makes it pretty clear that I wasn't referring to you, then, right?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Has there been any social media buzz about Amber's accusation?  I only saw one article on the Internet about it, and then nothing else, but I am not tuned into social media.  Any tweets, etc from Julianne, Maks, Amber, et al, or was this quickly dropped?

Derek weighed in supporting Julianne. I've seen Amber, Julianne, and Derek weigh in. Maks was asked about it and basically said they're rehearsing for the next dance. For what it's worth, I think Amber's wording focused more on how the comments made her feel and not on Julianne's intent. It is possible Julianne didn't intend to make Amber feel shamed but it could still have that effect.

• Love 3

I had never really paid attention to Amber until the spiff began with Kanye (KW aimed his attack at Amber's ex, but was really attacking Amber).  Kanye tweeted that Wiz Khalifa got trapped by a stripper, and that Wiz is mad when he looks at his child because Amber "got you" for eighteen years.  I think KW also made a claim that he owned Amber's child with her husband.  I think she handled him like a boss, and who wouldn't respond?  Those were specific attacks on Amber - who Kanye dumped for Kim K. 

Anyway, I started reading about Amber and I can't help but like her.  She's very accepting and unapologetic about her past, but she certainly doesn't encourage young girls to start stripping or dress provocatively.  She simply thinks that girls who've gone this route shouldn't be shamed.

And feeling "shamed" by Julianne may at first glance seem incongruous with Amber's stance, but she had some experiences when she was young that may lead to this insecurity.  When she was fourteen, while playing the "closet" game, a boy exposed his genitals and got Amber to get on her knees (it was dark in the closet).  He then threw open the door to let everyone see, and give the impression Amber was performing oral sex.  And she became a stripper at fifteen because her parents split up and she felt she should support the family.  So while she refuses to let others shame her for her past, she didn't become a stripper for the hell of it.   And perhaps she's watched the erotic dancing on the show and felt DWTS would be an accepting environment.  And maybe she's seen clips of Julianne's overtly sexual dancing and was surprised that Julianne would so easily be "uncomfortable".  And maybe she thinks (like me) that Julianne and Bruno make a bitchy twosome and are constantly whispering at each other like children.  And maybe, just maybe, Amber recalls Julianne wore blackface, and wonders how Julianne would find that acceptable, but be "uncomfortable" with Amber's dancing.  I know which of those two makes me uncomfortable.

• Love 3

I do notice that the ladies who everyone thought as sexy before they came on dancing with the stars aren't good at bringing that sexy to the floor.  

Kendra,Holly Madison ,Kim K and a few others I think the sexy is like a shield for them and in front of large crowds they all seem timid and unsure. Ambers off camera bravado is just that it's a way to hide her true self !