Type keyword(s) to search

S23: Ryan Lochte: Just Keep Swimming

• Start Topic

This is silly! I'm not a fan of Ryan by all means, but they've had really awfully people before and no one had done that to them on the show! Why so much hate? I mean, I do hate the guy, but not like hate "hate". Now they're making me feel sorry for him! Damn!

And it was actually kind of scary, it seemed like someone actually tried to attack him, not just yell at him. Carrie Ann looked sacredness she realized what was happening.

Edited by ChocButterfly

Both Ryan and Cheryl looked really freaked out as it happened and Cheryl still looked visibly upset after the break. Ryan seemed to recover a lot quicker than her. I felt bad because it didn't even look like Cheryl could process any of the dance judging after that poor thing.

It earned them a pity vote from me. No one should have to go through that.

• Love 2

This is the last time I'm going to talk about anything with Ryan other than his dancing on the show. I have personal experience with a very public "crime" - it was a slow news time and the people involved were crucified in the local media for days and days and days. What was not reported in the media was everything else that happened. But public perception was that the young couple involved did not get punished enough because their suffering and punishment was not public enough. We do not officially have public stocks and stoning in this country. So the "public" doesn't always know what suffering is doing and how much punishment they are giving themselves. He has been sanctioned by the governing body that he chooses to live under, he has lost endorsements which will affect his life, that will have to be enough for the "public". Some people are able to put on a brave face or a smile to hide behind in public. I don't know if he's suffered enough and quite frankly, it's none of my business. It's between Ryan and his conscious, his family, his associates and his governing body. For those that wish to continue to crucify him, I hope to heaven neither you nor your family is ever involved in a public scandal. It is hell.

I did forget to say that I don't think this silly dance show nor Cheryl Burke deserved what happened and I am glad it was not shown on air, that they cut to commercial. I don't want to see, the people who did, whatever they did do not deserve any publicity for it. 

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 11

I joked earlier in the thread that if he danced in a speedo, I'd try and figure out how to vote for him, but after what happened last night, I did actually find out how to vote and threw Ryan quite a few.  If you feel so strongly about Ryan Lochte that you feel the need to protest his casting, fine - wear the shirts and yell during the broadcast. I might not agree with it, I'd probably roll my eyes while it was happening, but I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it. However, the second you jump out of your seats and try and physically interfere with him or Cheryl, then you've crossed a serious line that I find unacceptable - you shouldn't have to fear for your safety while dancing on a reality show.  I don't think it was staged, because no one there is that great of an actor, and Cheryl and Ryan looked legitimately freaked out (understandably so). 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I joked earlier in the thread that if he danced in a speedo, I'd try and figure out how to vote for him, but after what happened last night, I did actually find out how to vote and threw Ryan quite a few.  If you feel so strongly about Ryan Lochte that you feel the need to protest his casting, fine - wear the shirts and yell during the broadcast. I might not agree with it, I'd probably roll my eyes while it was happening, but I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with it. However, the second you jump out of your seats and try and physically interfere with him or Cheryl, then you've crossed a serious line that I find unacceptable - you shouldn't have to fear for your safety while dancing on a reality show.  I don't think it was staged, because no one there is that great of an actor, and Cheryl and Ryan looked legitimately freaked out (understandably so). 

Exactly. I do wonder how they were able to attend the taping. I thought these live shows had strict rules. Ryan looked pretty shocked to me and he doesn't strike me as someone who would be a good actor. I wonder if Phelps will be at a taping since they are good friends. I remember Shawn Johnson had the Fierce Five (minus I think McKayla) in one of her performances. 

4 hours ago, choclatechip45 said:

Exactly. I do wonder how they were able to attend the taping. I thought these live shows had strict rules. Ryan looked pretty shocked to me and he doesn't strike me as someone who would be a good actor. I wonder if Phelps will be at a taping since they are good friends. I remember Shawn Johnson had the Fierce Five (minus I think McKayla) in one of her performances. 

All of the Fierce Five, including McKayla, appeared with Shawn.

8 hours ago, friendperidot said:

This is the last time I'm going to talk about anything with Ryan other than his dancing on the show. I have personal experience with a very public "crime" - it was a slow news time and the people involved were crucified in the local media for days and days and days. What was not reported in the media was everything else that happened. But public perception was that the young couple involved did not get punished enough because their suffering and punishment was not public enough. We do not officially have public stocks and stoning in this country. So the "public" doesn't always know what suffering is doing and how much punishment they are giving themselves. He has been sanctioned by the governing body that he chooses to live under, he has lost endorsements which will affect his life, that will have to be enough for the "public". Some people are able to put on a brave face or a smile to hide behind in public. I don't know if he's suffered enough and quite frankly, it's none of my business. It's between Ryan and his conscious, his family, his associates and his governing body. For those that wish to continue to crucify him, I hope to heaven neither you nor your family is ever involved in a public scandal. It is hell.

I did forget to say that I don't think this silly dance show nor Cheryl Burke deserved what happened and I am glad it was not shown on air, that they cut to commercial. I don't want to see, the people who did, whatever they did do not deserve any publicity for it. 

Unfortunately, there's a growing contingent that seems to believe that if it doesn't happen on social media, it didn't happen.  How often do we see people complaining (demanding) "why didn't you wish so&so a happy birthday or a congratulations or an apology", as if the person they are tweeting didn't pickup the phone or text or speak with so&so in person.  If evidence of contrition isn't on instagram, they'll accuse a person of having no contrition.  This contingent it seems doesn't bother reading a newspaper or watching a news broadcast. Nope. Social media is their source for everything they need or want to know. It's sad. 

• Love 2
On 9/12/2016 at 7:51 PM, bantering said:

Isn't this the only scandal he's  been caught in? Prior to what happened in Rio, I can't recall him getting into trouble for anything. Before Rio,  I never had the mental association of scandal with the name Ryan Lochte. Air-headedness, yeah, but not actual scandal.

I do commend Phelps for turning things around, but he was on his second DUI when he got suspended.  There were several years that elapsed between both DUIs but given the dangerous consequences of drunk driving it would have been nice if the second one hadn't happened.

Opinions on athletes change from year to year. I vaguely remember everyone being all up in arms when Phelps was caught smoking marijuana to the point that he had to issue an apology about his "regrettable behavior" to keep his sponsorship contracts out of danger, but now everyone seems sort of laid-back about what happened (I didn't care then and I don't care now, but everyone else made a big deal about how he was representing himself as an athlete). 

Lochte said on Ellen he thought perhaps the timing of doing Dancing with the Stars was a little too soon and questioned whether it was the right thing to do, but he said he had signed to the show before the scandal happened.

Re the first point, this is the first major scandal for Lochte worse than his usual case of "foot-in-mouth" disease. As for Phelps, he did some very dumb and very dangerous things in the past, but at least he didn't pimp himself out to the first reality show that made him an offer.  Phelps doesn't seem to need or want the attention as much as Lochte, who's gotten so used to being in the spotlight that he seems to think that he can't live without it. 

About the timing, with all the other U.S. Olympians from the swim team alone, past & present, whom they could have chosen, such as Nathan Adrian, Anthony Irvin, Cullen Jones, Jason Lezak, Aaron Piersall and Dara Torres (to name a few) whom TPTB could have chosen, that they chose Lochte for the drama factor felt like a cop-out IMO.  If the producers had to have Lochte, they should have postponed his appearance until next season, to give him & the nation some much-needed time to heal, but they chose to put him on now, which is a case of bad taste and worse timing. 

About The Incident, while the protesters apparently acted alone, if the Producers put them up to it in order to make Lochte look like a victim, I wouldn't be suprised. I felt bad for Cheryl and Tom & Laurie & Val, who had to perform after it happened, but as for Ryan, no fucks were given by me.  The producers and Lochte should have known better, as far as I'm concerned. 

• Love 1

The Brazil incident was on August 14. The cast was announced August 30--and ABC was already tweeting on August 12 that the cast would be announced on the 30th. The idea that ABC didn't have the cast already locked in by then, and was still casting in those two weeks, is completely unrealistic. This is a big time commitment, there are schedules that have to be worked out to guarantee someone can do this, which is also why they likely couldn't drop him and pick someone else (especially since the real controversy about whether and how much he lied didn't come up until later the week of the 14th.) Finding someone else to immediately drop their plans for the fall and reschedule their lives in the week before the cast announcement? Completely implausible.

There's no way Lochte wasn't signed before the Olympics, long before any need for a redemption story. It just doesn't work that way.

• Love 4

More for the fire. It really irks me that it looks like he's hiding behind Cheryl. I know the guy bumped him in that direction, but he could have grabbed her out of the way.  I say this with no rancor. I think Lochte is just, not and idiot, but not the nrightest bulb

IMO, everyone is allowed to not care for someone. If they'd simply worn t-shirts and booed at an appropriate place, well, whatever. It's rude and annoying, and the more you do it the more sympathy you raise for him, even from people like me who also don't particular like him. (Even limiting it to that might have gotten him a few extra votes.) But attacking someone is illegal for a good reason. You don't do it.

Disagreeing with someone or disliking someone does not give you the right to attack them or anyone else, ffs. Just vent to your friends that you think he's a jagoff and move on with your lives rather than giving yourself a criminal record. WTF.

• Love 4
On 9/14/2016 at 7:36 AM, simplyme said:

IMO, everyone is allowed to not care for someone. If they'd simply worn t-shirts and booed at an appropriate place, well, whatever. It's rude and annoying, and the more you do it the more sympathy you raise for him, even from people like me who also don't particular like him. (Even limiting it to that might have gotten him a few extra votes.) But attacking someone is illegal for a good reason. You don't do it.

Disagreeing with someone or disliking someone does not give you the right to attack them or anyone else, ffs. Just vent to your friends that you think he's a jagoff and move on with your lives rather than giving yourself a criminal record. WTF.

Exactly!  And if you don't want him on the show, vote as much as possible for others to get him off the show.  What they did will possibly prolong his stay.  Idiots.

• Love 1