Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Six Points on the New Congressional Budget: The False Dichotomy of Austerity vs. Expansionary Policies

Gareth is so depressed that reality is non-conformist. 

Stockwell is a reference to David Stockman, a Reagan era OMB hatchet man, I think. Very droll. 

The story about Laurel somehow stopping a CIA operation is too think to convince anyone who's not blinded by the prospect of ticket punching for a presidential run, wasn't it?

Overall, though, I'd say the recap was the funniest one yet. I laughed halfway through.

• Love 2

That recap was great, best one ever.  I loved Laurel and Rochelle trying to kill the queen with rolled-up magazines - I was sure Gary was just going to swat it casually when he came in.  I do have to admit that I'm really tired of the bugs/Red getting their own way all the time.  Can't Team Laurel/Gustav/Rochelle ever get a victory? 

No music?  Besides the Melanesian chorus, of course.

Edited by mjc570
spelling, ugh
  • Love 4

That random Gunsmoke previously had me laughing so hard.   

I'm so glad that Gareth's in the loop and that the scientist from the CDC is still involved.  There was something so sweet about Laurel taking care of Gareth as he struggles to deal with this situation.   I can't help wondering why Red hasn't infected Gareth considering the potential the relationship with Laurel has to divide his loyalties. 

The fight to kill the Queen was such a great scene but why didn't they come up with some sort of decoy to make sure the intern wouldn't interrupt.  They were so close to killing the Queen.  

The Aliants plan to trick Luke into believing that the government is going to get the Aliants and that Laurel needs to back down was clever.  They basically mixed a lie with a ton of facts. This could backfire on the Aliants because now Luke believes the bugs are real.

• Love 4

I wonder if the "internment camps" might actually be ant farms. Either that, or the more obvious human farms for when the aliants have exploded most human heads. Anyway, in this episode they dropped the Syrian terrorist idea, which always seemed to be a cover story for the aliants.

• Love 2

I knew the CIA guy was stringing Luke along, though not that he was working with Red.  And from the look of Red in that scene, the queen was at least hurt by Laurel and Rochelle.  What I don't understand is why Luke would want to head the CIA.  Isn't that kind of a weird detour if your destination is the White House? (GHWB excepted, of course.)  Or did I miss something? 

Not enough Gustav but glad he was back. 

• Love 4

Well, I guess there is no need to ever watch that particular Gunsmoke episode.  Spoiler alert, Narration Guy!  I kid.  The opening narrations might actually be my favorite thing about the show, and that's saying a lot since I actually finding this show enjoyable, which is refreshing (and, of course, the ratings have to be low when that happens.)

While I thought it was surprisingly careless of Red to leave the door even a crack open, I loved that Gareth finally sees a bug (the Queen!), and is now in the know.  Aaron Tveit's reactions to every reveal were perfect: from the shell-shock, to the paranoia.  And this was probably the most I liked him and Laurel, since it was moving past the "opposite attract" type antics, and it was about Laurel trying to ease him in and be supportive, when it was clear everything is freaking him out.  Hopefully we'll get more of him with the team in the final two episodes.

Totally didn't see Luke finding out too, although it seems that is all so he can be used by Red to stop Laurel and the rest from digging in.  I figured something was up with the CIA guy.  He was way too friendly and folksy.  Danny Pino did a good job with Luke's reaction too.

Glad Gustav finally returned, even if there wasn't enough of him.  But he still had some great moments and lines, like busting into Laurel's office blabbing out monkey brains and, of course, suggesting that they just kill Red, because that's his approach to everything when it comes to the bugs.

The big fight scene was fun, if frustrating.  I knew they likely weren't going to get the queen, but they got real clumsy their at the end.  For a second, I thought the bug was actually going to escape into Gary the Intern's ear, instead.

Tim Guinee is always a welcome sight.

Laurel's fake laugh over her being asked about the bugs and then her claiming it was all a metaphor later one, was great.  Mary Elizabeth Winstead is so damn charming.

Can't wait till the finale.  I do hope they don't leave anything on too big of a cliffhanger, since it's not likely this show will be sticking around.

• Love 5

I wonder if the cherry blossoms dying out for the season will be a factor in the finale.

When Laurel came over to spoon a freaked out Gareth, he had a pretty funny throw away line when he offered to have sex with her if she needed to (presumably for bug therapy).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 6

Really enjoyed this episode -- especially the recap!  But I absolutely HATED Laurel's black and white striped dress with the flowered jacket. 

I suspect that Luke will, of course, tell Laurel she needs to back off, which will, of course, cause her to dig in harder.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

When Laurel came over to spoon a freaked out Gareth, he had a pretty funny throw away line when he offered to have sex with her if she needed to (presumably for bug therapy).

Yes that scene was adorable and funny. Gareth got me back in his corner with his freaked out reaction to the bugs but... is it just me or.. is this show over yet? I swear it has been on since June. I would have thought it would have wrapped up by now. Anyone know when it does? It was a cute story but, not something I actively make time to watch --thought hat previously was hysterical. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Really enjoyed this episode -- especially the recap!  But I absolutely HATED Laurel's black and white striped dress with the flowered jacket. 

I suspect that Luke will, of course, tell Laurel she needs to back off, which will, of course, cause her to dig in harder.

I, OTOH, am going to miss Laurel's wardrobe. Fortunately Elementary is returning soon, which I watch in great part to see Lucy Liu's outfits. I hope the rest of your post plays out.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I wonder if the "internment camps" might actually be ant farms. Either that, or the more obvious human farms for when the aliants have exploded most human heads. Anyway, in this episode they dropped the Syrian terrorist idea, which always seemed to be a cover story for the aliants.

Pretty sure that the aliants generally have no great use for exploded heads (aside from Red needing a dead intern's bloody shirt to wave.) On the other hand, internment camps would indeed be a great place to efficiently raise ants in the inmates' heads, with minimal head exploding.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, mjc570 said:

That recap was great, best one ever.  I loved Laurel and Rochelle trying to kill the queen with rolled-up magazines - I was sure Gary was just going to swat it casually when he came in.  I do have to admit that I'm really tired of the bugs/Red getting their own way all the time.  Can't Team Laurel/Gustav/Rochelle ever get a victory? 

No music?  Besides the Melanesian chorus, of course.

Yeah, if there's 1 nitpick for the series, it's how 1 sided it's been, the finale should try to even things out though.

2 hours ago, BooBear said:

Yes that scene was adorable and funny. Gareth got me back in his corner with his freaked out reaction to the bugs but... is it just me or.. is this show over yet? I swear it has been on since June. I would have thought it would have wrapped up by now. Anyone know when it does? It was a cute story but, not something I actively make time to watch --thought hat previously was hysterical. 

It ends next week with double finale episodes.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Laurel's fake laugh over her being asked about the bugs and then her claiming it was all a metaphor later one, was great.  Mary Elizabeth Winstead is so damn charming.

I especially liked how wild her outfit got for the second visit - totally playing up the 'bohemian' part of being an artist. She's really good, I've enjoyed watching her.

• Love 6

I laughed so damn hard at poor Gareth's downward spiral.  Everything from slapping the bug on the table, to his exasperated (but so hilarious) conversation with his parents, to his terror in his bed, I loved what Aaron Tveit did this entire episode.  He is absolutely hilarious, but he also broke my heart as his fear started to get the better of him.  I also really really loved the cuddle scene between him and Laurel.  I wasn't crazy about them last week...I LOVED them this one.

So happy Gustav was back, and I hope he is in it more for the end.

It doesn't look good....but still fingers crossed for a season 2!!

• Love 8

It has occurred to me that the 2nd season we likely won't get would have to involve more humanoid aliens.  Because Star Trek aside, bugs on an asteroid is a highly inefficient way to travel through space and start to colonize another planet.  It's too haphazard.  But if another, more intelligent species decided to slip them in that way, in order to prepare the way for a  real invasion, then that would make sense. 

• Love 1

I know it does not look promising, but I am still going to be heart broken if we do not get a season two. The recaps at the start of the episodes are much better than some other entire shows. 

I truly love Gustav and all his crazy, odd behavior. Loved his ill timed blurting out as he entered Laurel's office. 

I know they have one more episode so that is why they did not kill the queen, she is needed for the story line. But that bug would not have had a chancce with me around. I live in Houston and deal with some serious critters. I would have been armed with spray, an extra shoe, an electric bug zapper and anything else I could think of. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Texasmom1970 said:

I know it does not look promising, but I am still going to be heart broken if we do not get a season two. The recaps at the start of the episodes are much better than some other entire shows. 

I truly love Gustav and all his crazy, odd behavior. Loved his ill timed blurting out as he entered Laurel's office. 

I know they have one more episode so that is why they did not kill the queen, she is needed for the story line. But that bug would not have had a chancce with me around. I live in Houston and deal with some serious critters. I would have been armed with spray, an extra shoe, an electric bug zapper and anything else I could think of. 

I have recently discovered that a Swiffer without the dusting pad attached is the best weapon for bugs. They never see the plain white flat surface coming! And the long handle makes it so easy to get them when they light on ceilings or high on a wall. 
I would love to see a new season with a gray haired divorcee armed with her bare Swiffer joining the team of Gustav, Rochelle, and the others.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I have recently discovered that a Swiffer without the dusting pad attached is the best weapon for bugs. They never see the plain white flat surface coming! And the long handle makes it so easy to get them when they light on ceilings or high on a wall. 
I would love to see a new season with a gray haired divorcee armed with her bare Swiffer joining the team of Gustav, Rochelle, and the others.

Huh a swiffer, I have one of those will have to add it to my arsenal!

• Love 3

I knew the CIA guy was lying as soon as he didn't mention people not drinking and eating carrots all the time.

but how does he expect Luke to get his sister to stand down if he can't talk to her about it?

luke and laurel.l. Reminiscent of Luke and Laura from general hospital...

loved Red in pain as they hit the Queen....

• Love 2

Or more aptly, Luke and Leia?

I thought the rural communities were going to tie in with the crop circles on the gerrymander map. On "V", internment camps were for scientists and anyone smart enough to see the alien invaders for what they were.

Can anyone look at scenes in Laurel's office without fixing on that horse's ass through the window?

Tony Shalhoub survived serious damage to his head in Men In Black, too. In this incarnation, I don't think it would grow back, though.

What does happen to the little critters when the cherry blossoms die off? Will this be like War of the Worlds, a characteristic of Planet Earth, seasons, that the aliants didn't anticipate?

The "previouslies" are comic genius, hands down. Using actual government bureaucratic procedures and mechanisms to forward the aliants' agenda is also brilliant. I wonder if you can get academic credit in AP GOV for watching this series. The CIA is so hush-hush, and career politicians are so entrenched and long-serving, who could doubt that there was a man-behind-the-man, behind the endless succession of directors.

Summer fare has never been so entertaining.

• Love 5

It cracked me up that not long after watching this last night I had the biggest unidentified flying bug my apartment has ever seen buzzing around. My cats seem rather more effective than Gustav's though, they saved me the trouble of getting a swatter.

I too think everyone was ridiculously ineffective in their attempts to squoosh the queen. Even without the fate of the whole world at stake, when you're in a battle with a huge insect that can crawl in your ear and eat your brain, don't take your eyes off it to mollify an upset Congressional intern! Of course, I'd have shown up to that hunt with aerosol hairspray and a reliable lighter in case the damn thing could fly.

• Love 3
On September 6, 2016 at 3:28 AM, Bobbin said:

Can anyone look at scenes in Laurel's office without fixing on that horse's ass through the window?

I like to imagine all of congress has a similar view when they are sitting at their desk.

• Love 1

Hilariouly, the Zika bill right now is not clean; it's got defunding Planned Parenthood and support for the Confederate flag hidden in it. Paul Ryan's speech about how the Democrats were obstructing justice for not voting for their "Zika bill" just seemed like another scne from the show. Insects and all!

• Love 8
On 9/6/2016 at 0:07 PM, holly4755 said:

hmmm reason I need a cat - who knew. My dog could care less, but she is a killer mouser and doesn't bring dead animals in the house. 

Mine are great at bugs...and mice...and rodents of all shapes and sizes and yes they bring them inside. It's, um, a mixed blessing.

What continues to confound me is that ants crawling in ears has just plain ceased to be a concern. Did I miss something about that no longer being a threat?

Loved Laurel and Gareth this episode. I still want way more of the alien research team. And I'm still hella creeped out by Luke's wife now.

I'm going to say the crawling in ears thing is considerably less of a concern now, since they know the aliants travel with cherry blossoms.  They can keep the blossoms out of their houses, and the blossoms are (finally, apparently) dying off.  Longest cherry blossom season ever!

My fear/prediction is that the show will not be renewed for a second season.  And my prediction for the end of S1 is that the Queen is killed, but then at the very end we see a tiny new Queen hatching out of one of the hundreds of eggs.  And we'll never know what happens to the human race... :(

• Love 2
On 9/6/2016 at 1:28 AM, Bobbin said:

I thought the rural communities were going to tie in with the crop circles on the gerrymander map. On "V", internment camps were for scientists and anyone smart enough to see the alien invaders for what they were.

Second best laugh (behind the intro song, of course) of the night was when they mentioned Lemon Cove as a site for the internment camp.  That town is about 10 miles away from me and "rural" barely comes close to describing it.  Then again, Tulare County would probably welcome the camp for the construction jobs.

Okay, are one of you posters in real life the guy who writes those intro ditties?  I mean, one week there's complaints that the show is meandering and losing its way, and the next week the guy drops the show and watches Gunsmoke.  Just sayin'...

• Love 3