Type keyword(s) to search

Food Confessions: We're Not Here to Judge

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

What is not to like about a good crunchy chip!?! I like them dipped in salsa, guacamole, and the good old fashioned French onion dip (onion soup mix and sour cream mixed well, then refrigerated for a few hours ). Does anyone know why they call it French? I've never seen it there. I think that it's more of an American food. Of all the kinds of chips these are up there at the top of my like list (depends on the day). I just wish that they made a lower salt version so I could eat more! 

I did try a kale chip that I liked but can no longer find them in the store. I'm thinking of trying to make my own. 

What is not to like about a good crunchy chip!?!  Exactly!  Grease, salt and crunch - covers all my major food groups. 

The onion soup dip is my absolute favorite even if it is so simple. For many years, it was my New Year's Eve thing and then New Years' Day breakfast. Deliciously awesome with Fritos or Ruffles.

I grew up in a Miracle Whip household - my father made peanut butter and Miracle Whip sandwiches (bleccchhh) - but am now a member in good standing on Team Mayo.  Hellmann's in my case.  When I lived in SC, we ate Duke's, but blasphemer that I am, I prefer Hellmann's. 

(edited)
16 hours ago, Jaded said:

I've tried the mayo instead of butter thing with grilled cheese sandwiches and they've usually turned out ok besides getting burnt at times. I've only tried it with Dukes and sometimes get a weird aftertaste while eating my sandwich. So my question is for others who make grilled cheese sandwiches this way. Do you get any weird aftertaste too? 

I tried it once (with Duke's of course) but didn't think it was any better than with butter. I did think it tasted a little different, not in a bad way, but enough that I noticed. I'll stick with butter.

Miracle Whip - I grew up with it (l'm from Iowa) but haven't had it in probably 20 years. It's sweeter than mayo and the texture seems a little thinner.

Fritos - Trader Joe's has their own version (corn scoopers? something like that) that are even better, especially for chili. They are bigger and thicker. Best (non)Frito Pie ever.

@harrie, you have other lovely qualities so I can overlook your preference for Hellmann's. SMH and bless your heart, though.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 2
On 5/10/2017 at 8:26 AM, DeLurker said:

What wine goes with children?

You'll be happy to know that someone wrote a book. I think it's called W(h)ine, but I could be wrong. I'm just killing time at the end of a work day.

Riesling pairs perfectly with an explosive poopy diaper. ... Chardonnay goes great with a middle schooler's attitude adjustment. ... Choose Sauvignon Blanc when you feel like the walls are caving in on you. ... Pair a Merlot with child terrorism. Pinot Noir goes well with dented or scratched vehicles. Cabernet Sauvignon pairs perfectly with poor hygiene.

• Love 5

I prefer Hellman's mayo (we don't have Duke's here) to Miracle Whip, but I will eat Miracle Whip.

Have you ever had sandwich spread? When I was a kid, my aunt asked me if I wanted sandwich spread on my sandwich. I said yes, thinking she meant mayo or mustard. Both are things you spread on sandwiches. I still don't understand what sandwich spread is, except that it is vile.

How to describe Miracle Whip... that's hard. It's a little tangy. And sweeter than mayo. To me it's more what mayo is not. Mayo is really heavy and cloying. I feel like when I have mayo it's like coating my mouth and throat in this thick, greasy nastiness. 

Actually, the first time I really remember having mayo was at a friends house and it was in some kind of salad...potato, macaroni, I don't know. All I remember is thinking it had turned. I went to my friend to let her know and so she tasted it..."Nope tastes like Momma's salad" (I'm mostly sure it was potato salad).  It was eye-opening. 

7 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I love a Ruffles potato chip!! You are right about them being stronger too. 

Ruffles used to be my go to chip for dip, but now I use TJs Classic Potato Chip - Lay's style, but less greasy than Ruffles and holds up well for my dipping purposes.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I love a Ruffles potato chip!! You are right about them being stronger too. 

These are the only potato chips that I will eat.  I love them and am trying to give them up.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 7:57 PM, forumfish said:

I just ate a bowl of Greek yogurt with honey and cinnamon on top. Yummy, despite the fact that the tub (one of those 32-oz ones) has been in my fridge, open, since March 22. Sometimes I am in a yogurt mood, sometimes not. I guess lately, it's been "not."

Anyway, the whey was a little more yellow in color than normal, so I poured it out instead of stirring it in. There was no off smell, and nothing visibly growing on top. It tasted fine, if a little tangy-er than normal. I buy Chobani because it has more strains of the yogurt culture than some brands, so I figured if anything, I got extra probiotics. And honey is an antimicrobial, so there's that.

What's the longest out-of-date food you've eaten?

I've done that, just pouring off the whey and do a sniff and taste test and seeing that way past it's sell by date. My oldest right now is Byblos plain kefir yoghurt from the Arab market. The stuff is so thick it barely throws off whey. Dang it is yummy on it's own with seasonal fruit.

The oldest thing in my fridge right now is Mr.G's  bottle of ghost pepper sauce. It's about 5 years old and is finally down to it's last few drops. Time for a drive to Las Vegas!

On 5/10/2017 at 8:26 AM, DeLurker said:

What wine goes with children?

Tonight it's a nice sweet white I got at Grocery Outlet for $2.99. One more glass & I will be happy to make a brand new dinner for my ADHD ASD grandson who threw his first dinner in the trash b/c the hot dogs "felt funny" and the yogurt was poisoned by Darth Vader.

• Love 4
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:56 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Anything we love that is not good for us (fattening, indulgence, sugary, chocolate) is hard for anyone to give up! 

I have a cheat day once a week, except birthdays, holidays, my birthday season, and Thanksgiving to New Years.

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:50 PM, auntlada said:

I prefer Hellman's mayo (we don't have Duke's here) to Miracle Whip, but I will eat Miracle Whip.

Have you ever had sandwich spread? When I was a kid, my aunt asked me if I wanted sandwich spread on my sandwich. I said yes, thinking she meant mayo or mustard. Both are things you spread on sandwiches. I still don't understand what sandwich spread is, except that it is vile.

Dukes is good but I prefer Best Foods/Helmans. I can't stand Miracle Whip.  I also like what they call heavy mayonnaise it doesn't break down and become watery in a salad. I loved my mama's mayonnaise, she would think nothing of making it from scratch on a moments notice.

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 4:36 AM, Mindthinkr said:

To get mine "flavoursome" I use lemon juice (or zest), fresh parsley, mint, thyme, chives, basil (which I grow all year long in a kitchen window...just make sure to get enough seeds during spring as they get harder to find during the winter months) and garlic. Rosemary branches make great skewers for grilling and give the meat (especially chicken) such a good flavor. I also use a lot of pepper. Marinating allows what spices and herbs I do use to really infuse the flavor deeply. I'll use yogurt and tandoori spices for great grilled chicken. The yogurt makes the meat juicy and tender. Breadings also stick better to the yogurt marinade. I also use flavored oils to add flavor. The lemon one tastes great in dressing as well as quinoa and tabbouli. 

Too many people I know get headaches from using MSG but I appreciate your reply @Mellowyellow

I wish I could grow herbs. I kill cactus.

My lemon trees and tangerine tree survive only because I leave them the hell alone.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:46 PM, ennui said:

I've been told that restaurant steaks taste better because they are prepared with a rub of butter and salt. I can believe it because home-cooked steaks never taste quite the same.  

Team Mayonnaise (Best Foods, known as Hellman's east of the Rockies). I find Miracle Whip is too sweet and I don't care for the texture.

Fritos. Discuss.

No.  The way I eat Fritos is too personal a behavior for me to get into.

• Love 3

I grew up in a Miracle Whip household in the Midwest, and I think that's where you'll find most of us because of Kraft being there.  I use mayo more myself, but when I make my mom's deviled eggs,  I add some sugar and some sweet pickle juice to help mimic the MW she uses in hers.  

Fritos are so addictive.  Any crunch corn based snack is for me, however.   Like my newly discovered love of Corn Nuts.

13 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

I grew up in a Miracle Whip household in the Midwest, and I think that's where you'll find most of us because of Kraft being there.  I use mayo more myself, but when I make my mom's deviled eggs,  I add some sugar and some sweet pickle juice to help mimic the MW she uses in hers.  

Fritos are so addictive.  Any crunch corn based snack is for me, however.   Like my newly discovered love of Corn Nuts.

Oh, Corn Nuts....original please. Thank you.

17 hours ago, larapu2000 said:

When I was a kid one of our Girl Scout house meals was something with Fritos (Frito pie maybe?). We all got sick, probably from the meat and I haven't been able to eat Frito's since.

Gimme all the Corn Nuts though!

On 5/11/2017 at 3:46 PM, ennui said:

Fritos. Discuss.

Of the standard salty snack foods, Fritos are among my least favorite. I'd pick almost any other item, but if there were no other options, I'd eat Fritos 

• Love 1
(edited)

One day I was looking at the ingredients of Cheetohs, various Doritos flavors, and Fritos. Fritos seemed to be mostly just corn, had the least amount of artificial ingredients. I like Fritos, and given a choice of bagged chips with a sandwich combo always pick Fritos.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 1
(edited)

Does anybody else eat spaghetti sandwiches? Buttered white bread with sauced spaghetti hot or cold.

Those along with baked bean sandwiches and potato salad sandwiches, always on buttered white bread, were school lunch staples. Love 'em still.

Mr. G thinks it's weird and I'm ok with that.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 1
(edited)

@Giselle's spaghetti sandwiches remind me of something my Grandma made that I haven't thought about for years. She made "goulash" which was browned ground beef mixed with Ragu's spaghetti sauce and cooked spaghetti, always served over mashed potatoes. I have no idea what made that "goulash."

ETA: googling suggests that this may be a German immigrant thing, though not always with the spaghetti (just meat sauce over mashed potatoes).

Edited by MargeGunderson
(edited)

Closest I've come is olive pimento cheese spread by Kraft.  Not sure if it is exactly the same as what is in the stores now-pimento cheese spread.

I use the jars as glasses just like we did growing up.  You'll always find at least two of those glasses in my house.

37497128-3A5A-44E2-9890-50392DA32558-583-0000007BC1DA3EC2.jpeg

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Anyone here ever tried cream cheese and olive sandwiches? 

Yes, loved them as a kid.  Would probably still like them today, but I have to pick and choose my sodium, fat, etc.

(edited)
8 hours ago, DeLurker said:

My Dad would eat baked bean sandwiches, but it had to be Boston baked beans - not sure what the difference.

Mine had to be my mama's baked beans. They were super thick and super sweet.

Not olive and cream cheese but mama would make an olive cheddar cheese ball and serve it with cocktail bread. That was the second thing I would go for after pickled okra.

B & M Brown Bread and cream cheese? Anyone?

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Giselle said:

The B & M Brown Bread was another big treat for Dad.  Never remember him having it with cream cheese - just generous helpings of butter.

Bread  in a can always freaked me out.

• Love 1
On 5/12/2017 at 9:33 AM, ennui said:

You'll be happy to know that someone wrote a book. I think it's called W(h)ine, but I could be wrong. I'm just killing time at the end of a work day.

Riesling pairs perfectly with an explosive poopy diaper. ... Chardonnay goes great with a middle schooler's attitude adjustment. ... Choose Sauvignon Blanc when you feel like the walls are caving in on you. ... Pair a Merlot with child terrorism. Pinot Noir goes well with dented or scratched vehicles. Cabernet Sauvignon pairs perfectly with poor hygiene.

Fun. And reminds me of how various types of wines were recommended for various ailments at the French court.

My own recommendations would be: Champagne in any case, because if spilled it leaves no stain (although I don't think a G&T stains either, so that's a potential non wine option); Sauvignon Blanc (or G&T) if there's no Champagne on hand; Pinot Noir when the little terrors are safely seated in a high chair for mealtime; and Cabernet or Merlot to be kept for when they're done for the day and sleeping soundly. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, DeLurker said:

The B & M Brown Bread was another big treat for Dad.  Never remember him having it with cream cheese - just generous helpings of butter.

Bread  in a can always freaked me out.

Was that a date nut bread? I had a family member who loved it with cream cheese. Hmmm...may have to google it but it did come in a can. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Giselle said:

Yes!! Brown bread w/o raisins (which is hard to find). I also like cream cheese and bologna, in a sandwich our just rolled up together. Yum.

The best thing for me about New year's dinner is the leftovers. I always cut up the (canned) corned beef and fry it, then make a sandwich with it, cabbage, and mashed up black eyed peas. So good.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

Was that a date nut bread? I had a family member who loved it with cream cheese. Hmmm...may have to google it but it did come in a can. 

Just plain bread.

13 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

No, it is a dense molasses bread and has a deep flavor. It's also good with pineapple cream cheese.

Datenut bread us good too! Yum!

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/11/2017 at 10:48 AM, JTMacc99 said:

I remember the first time I had a sandwich with Miracle Whip on it as a young boy. Something in my head went, "what the hell is wrong with this sandwich?"

I'm team mayonnaise as well.

When I was little I couldn't understand why I loved bologna sandwiches at home but hated them at my neighbor's. Years later I figured out that her mother put Miracle Whip on them.  I had never even heard of it.  Mayo is super easy to make, but I love Hellman's so much I don't see a reason to bother. 

Edited by mansonlamps
Texting has made me illiterate.
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

I think this deserves a taste test!

I will volunteer to be the objective judge (seeing as I'm team miracle whip) but someone must make me a feied baloney and cheeses sandwich with fried white bread after. And it must gave a cheerwine or peach nehi on the side.

On 5/11/2017 at 5:35 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Fritos - Trader Joe's has their own version (corn scoopers? something like that) that are even better, especially for chili. They are bigger and thicker.

I bought the TJ's version, just to see. They look the same as Frito's scoops, but seem to have less salt and a slight bit more oil. Trader Joe's never divulges who or where their products are made, so it would be funny if these come from the same factory as name brand Frito's. 

• Love 1
On 5/8/2017 at 9:10 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I'm having a wee problem. Is it me or...

I watch some cooking shows and they seem to add a lot of salt. 1-2t per recipe for 4 ppl. It seems to be a trend lately. I watch ppl salt their food all the time without even tasting it first.

Have you noticed how much these shows use for cooking pasta?  When I remember to do it, I do a couple of shakes.  They put tablespoons!

I've never salted food at the table, but one time Mr. Outlier's mother served some corn on the cob that was really great, and I found out it was salted.  So I think there is something to this love of salt, but it's a road I don't want to go down.

On 5/11/2017 at 2:59 AM, Jaded said:

I've tried the mayo instead of butter thing with grilled cheese sandwiches and they've usually turned out ok besides getting burnt at times. I've only tried it with Dukes and sometimes get a weird aftertaste while eating my sandwich. So my question is for others who make grilled cheese sandwiches this way. Do you get any weird aftertaste too? 

I tried grilled cheese with Hellman's and didn't like it, but don't remember why.  Went right back to butter.

On 5/11/2017 at 7:35 PM, MargeGunderson said:

Miracle Whip - I grew up with it (l'm from Iowa) but haven't had it in probably 20 years. It's sweeter than mayo and the texture seems a little thinner.

I grew up with Miracle Whip in Texas (tongue sandwiches on white bread with Miracle Whip and lettuce, and tomatoes for my siblings who could stomach them), but noticed I was actively enjoying the mayo on roast beef sandwiches at Jimmy John's and saw they use Hellman's, so I switched.  Close to 60 years of Miracle Whip down the drain.

I make my own fry sauce when I'm having french fries at a restaurant, and one day didn't notice I was using Miracle Whip and it tasted awful.  You'd think it wouldn't matter in a concoction of ketchup and mayo, but it does.

On 5/11/2017 at 8:50 PM, auntlada said:

"Spread" is what they call the Thousand Island-y stuff at In-N-Out.  It sounds gross to me--just the word.  I'll say I want a hamburger with no tomatoes or onions, and they say, "Hamburger with spread and lettuce?"  I reluctantly affirm. 

Sandwich Spread was actually the name of a bottle of yuck sold by Kraft, at least in Canada.  It was like mayo, mixed with relish, and kind of looked like it was, er, pre-digested. 

• Love 3

I LOVE garlic cooked and raw! Were it not for others' rudeness at work,etc. re the accompanying aura, I'd eat it every single day if I could! That's one thing I liked about visiting Spain was that one COULD do just that and have no objections whatsoever! Maybe I'll retire there just to do that. LOL

• Love 1

I don't mind the smell of food cooked with garlic but it gives me heartburn most of the time. There are some foods that have garlic in them that I can tolerate.

I don't generally buy many canned vegetables (I usually cook either fresh or frozen), but I do buy canned tomatoes and the occasional can of sliced beets.  I try to avoid most others because of the sodium, other additives and the fact that they really don't taste very good.  However, I sometimes buy name brand (either Del Monte or Green Giant, I think) canned whole potatoes.  I love to cut the larger ones in half, leave the small ones whole and arrange them in one layer (after draining) in a baking dish.  I daub some butter (or butter-like spread) on top and sprinkle with paprika.  I then bake them in the oven until they start to brown up a little, turning at least once to coat with the butter.  Sometimes I get a mushy one, but they usually stay nice and firm and have a good potato-y buttery taste with a little hint of spice from the paprika.  When I mention to others that I like canned potatoes, I get some 'ugh!' looks, but I think they taste really good.

• Love 2

I adore Walker's "Cheese & Onion crisps" - although I do wonder if I will end up with an onion-breath!

Also as a pure indulgence, chopped up KitKat fingers in ice cream - very naughty, but what the hell!

As for quick snacks - poached egg on toast.