Type keyword(s) to search

Food Confessions: We're Not Here to Judge

• Start Topic

@forumfish - I bought some Valentine's Lindt truffles at 75% off last week because my kids like them (yup, it was just the kids I was thinking about!).  The new or limited edition Strawberry & Cream in whit chocolate was pretty good, but doesn't give the same satisfaction as a milk or dark chocolate one.

• Love 1
On 3/1/2018 at 9:02 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I don't particularly care for Lindt truffles. (I know! I know! Blasphemy!) I much prefer Godiva's, especially the Lava Cake or Caramel Brownie Sundae truffles. Heaven.

I don't care too much for truffles, period (unless you're talking mushrooms)!  

in my local supermarket there was a special offer on one of my favourite boxed chocolates - Ferrero Rocher.

A box of 24 for £4 ($5.52) or 2 boxes for £6 ($8.28) =just couldn't resist buying both.

The difficult job is not devouring them in one evening!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, forumfish said:

I got two boxes of chocolate covered cherries

My Dad would always get my Mom chocolate covered cherries for Valentines.  The kids would be allowed to have one because they were for Mom.  Oddly enough, my Dad would end up eating most of them since they were his favorite.  Well, one of his favorites - when it came to chocolate, Dad did not discriminate.

On 2/27/2018 at 10:14 PM, forumfish said:

I tried to post in the Chocolate thread but kept getting an error

I believe that is because there's a poll in there. I think polls broke during the upgrade but I thought they were fixed. Anyway I'll let someone know in case they're supposed to be but aren't!  OR not. Never mind. Worked for me. nothing to see here. 

Here's today's food confession:  I love Sour Patch Jelly Beans, but you can only get them at Easter.  I bought a few bags (they were available at one of my local Dollar General stores before Valentine's Day this year) and am now down to one unopened bag (and I did share--I didn't eat all of the other 3-4 bags myself!).  I went by Dollar General and bought 5 bags (25% off).  They do freeze, so I'll have them available for occasional snacking.  But the big questions are:  Should I go back and buy some more?  Will I regret it if I don't buy more? There were more bags left.  

1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

Here's today's food confession:  I love Sour Patch Jelly Beans, but you can only get them at Easter.  I bought a few bags (they were available at one of my local Dollar General stores before Valentine's Day this year) and am now down to one unopened bag (and I did share--I didn't eat all of the other 3-4 bags myself!).  I went by Dollar General and bought 5 bags (25% off).  They do freeze, so I'll have them available for occasional snacking.  But the big questions are:  Should I go back and buy some more?  Will I regret it if I don't buy more? There were more bags left.  

Go for it, I say! As long as you have a system for not eating the whole lot at once, stock up without shame.

• Love 2
(edited)

Go for it, I say! As long as you have a system for not eating the whole lot at once, stock up without shame.

I usually do pretty well when I freeze candy, because I forget that it's there.  And when I remember I can usually control my portions.  A lot better than if the bag was just sitting out on the counter.  (I have several bags of Hershey's Kisses with Mint Truffle filling in my freezer from Christmas season and I haven't eaten but a few kisses from those.)  With the jelly beans, it helps that you should only take out a few at a time, because they thaw in just about 5 minutes, but if you let them sit, they will get sticky and aren't as good.  That helps with my portion control. 

Yes!   Go back and get all the bags you can find @BOOKSRULE.  You read books so give yourself a treat for engaging in a lost art.  ;^)

I don't read as much as I used to, but I'm trying to get back in the 'several books at one time' mode.  I'm a librarian, but many people would be surprised that librarians actually don't have a lot of time to read.  I can justify the jelly beans as a reading snack, because they don't melt like chocolate and won't damage my old-fashioned-paper-not-ebook.  

Edited by BooksRule
  • Love 1
(edited)

I read paperbacks too and, like you,  not as much as I used to.  

I  understand the correct candy temperature  Room temp candy is wrong across the board

Edited by Wings
  • Love 1
On 8/28/2016 at 10:57 AM, BooksRule said:

I'm sure I'll think of some more later, but here are a couple:

Sweetened condensed milk:  Occasionally, I'll find a can that was forgotten in the back of the pantry.  When it's opened, it's turned butterscotch in color and is now kind of like dulce de leche.  It's not spoiled (can not swelled and no hiss when I opened and I've researched the topic), it just changed consistency as it got old.  It's not good for recipes (I tried that once for a lemon bar recipe and although it tasted okay, it made one unattractive beige-y pan of bars), but I'm guilty of putting the contents in the fridge and dipping out a spoonful now and then.  Tasty!

Double-stuff Oreos:  I buy these maybe once every couple of years (I can't trust myself to buy them more often) and my favorite way to eat them is to eat the chocolate cookie off of one side of one, then eat the cookie off of another one.  Then, I put the two together, cream sides touching.  I carefully eat the cookie off of one side.  Then I repeat the process until I have two chocolate cookies with a layer of cream filling about an inch high.  Then I eat my quadruple (?) stuffed Oreo.

In Spain they boil the cans of sweetened condensed milk and eat that as a dessert.

Edited by El maestro
Crappy iPad keyboard
  • Love 1
On 11/23/2016 at 7:40 PM, auntlada said:

Nutty Bars are like crack, but addictive. That is how I explain them to the poor lost souls who have never tried them. I got a coworker hooked once by bringing some to work. She bought some on the way home that day.

They’re good, but I prefer Mrs. Freshley’s(Dollar Tree sells them.

As a kid, I used to eat Chocolate Quik straight out of the can with a spoon.  And I still dunk my peanut butter sandwiches in milk, either white or chocolate.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1