Type keyword(s) to search

Food Confessions: We're Not Here to Judge

• Start Topic

A thread to discuss the foods and food combinations that get you "that" look when you tell someone.

As a kid I loved liver and onions, grilled chicken liver, boiled tongue and liver pate until I figured out what it was. Then I refused to eat it. No one I know can believe I ever liked it.

My mom makes a shrimp dip that I can only explain as having chopped baby (brine) shrimp, cream cheese and other things. She puts it in a copper salmon shaped mold. The whole thing is very 70s.

What about you?

Growing up, holiday dinners always started with an appetizer plate being made and the most popular item on it was cut pieces of celery stuffed with onion dip (made from cream cheese and the dry packets of Lipton Onion Soup).  Yum.

• Love 2

This isn't about a specific combination of foods, but most of the people I know think it's weird that when I eat a meal that includes something sweet, I always try to make sure I save a bite of something savory so that my last bite is not sweet.  If I'm at home (or at a buffet), it's easy, but at a restaurant it's sometimes hard to try to save something un-sweet to eat after dessert (since the wait person always wants to take my plate away when dessert arrives, I have to try to hang on to a roll or something).  I'm back on my diet, but when I would snack on a piece of cake, some cookies or ice cream, I had to make sure I had some chips or popcorn to finish up with.  I'm sure other people do this too, but no one I know personally does.  

7 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Growing up, holiday dinners always started with an appetizer plate being made and the most popular item on it was cut pieces of celery stuffed with onion dip (made from cream cheese and the dry packets of Lipton Onion Soup).  Yum.

Cream cheese instead of sour cream? That sounds delicious!

(and thanks to whoever merged my thread. I missed this one even though I freeking posted in it! Sorry!).

Edited by theredhead77
  • Love 2
On 10/1/2016 at 11:47 AM, theredhead77 said:

As a kid I loved liver and onions, grilled chicken liver, boiled tongue and liver pate until I figured out what it was. Then I refused to eat it. No one I know can believe I ever liked it.

Admit to having routinely eaten liver as a kid (not sure if it was lamb or veal, though), and I liked it as long as it was well cooked, i.e. firm and not red inside, as well as the occasional tongue, usually cold, in vinaigrette with lots of parsley, the taste was good but the texture so so.

I would never again eat tongue but I'm still ok with liver, as long as it's well cooked, I'm in. Lebanese restaurants usually serve very good liver dishes (well done always, haha). 

As a kid, I also had the great joy (well, not so great) to try lamb kidney (not cooked well enough for my taste, well you can see a pattern there). I had never eaten heart of any king, but recently my midschooler was rhapsodic about chicken hearts he ate at a Brazilian friend's, so when I saw same as yakitori at a Japanese restaurant, I gave them a try. Not bad, but liver cooked well (and long) is more of my thing.

Liver pate? I still love it as of the first day. Paired with cornichons, on good bread, soooo good.

Chicken liver lover here. But please don't overcook. Used to like hearts but rarely see them now so, thank you, @NutMeg, I will look to Brazil. I don't even see them in my meat depts.

Had a taste of lamb kidneys in France and incroyable

There's actually a gas station not too far from here that sells Broasted chicken livers and gizzards. Not a gizzards fan but the livers...

Tongue? Nutmeg has described what I expected.

When I was a kid Mom would occasionally make liver and onions for her and my Dad.  They smelled so good cooking, but texture-wise I could not deal.  I don't even remember if the taste was any good since the texture scarred my memory.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

When I was a kid Mom would occasionally make liver and onions for her and my Dad.  They smelled so good cooking, but texture-wise I could not deal.  I don't even remember if the taste was any good since the texture scarred my memory.

You're lucky it wasn't also for you.  My sister & I had to eat the stuff whenever our mom made it (our parents just loved it w/ crispy bacon).  Ugh!  Too bad we weren't aware of cholesterol issues back then--it would've spared me that terrible stuff.

• Love 2
On 9/14/2016 at 5:52 PM, larapu2000 said:

My dad used to crush up Premium Saltine crackers (no other brand will do), put them in a glass, pour milk over it, and then drink/eat it with a spoon.

My mom has done that for as long as I can remember.

My weirdest thing is probably mixing peanut butter into those little snack size containers of cottage cheese...

9 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Same here. Mom would make chicken livers and onions. It smelled sooo good. But I could never get past the texture.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, scriggle said:

Same here. Mom would make chicken livers and onions. It smelled sooo good. But I could never get past the texture.

You should try chicken liver pate if the texture was the only thing holding you back. I have converted many a person to offal using chicken liver pate as a gateway.

• Love 3

I'm the opposite.  I can't stand the smell.  My mom (who hated liver) used to cook it once a week back when it was part of the Weight Watchers regimen.  I had to leave the house until it was aired out.  Which reminds me:  I have a friend who grew up eating chitlins and loved them, but said that they tasted much better than they smelled cooking.  She told me that she would have to warn her three kids when she was going to cook chitlins and they would bolt from the house and call her to find out when it was 'safe' to come back home!

Here's anther food-related weird quirk of mine:  I don't buy canned tomato soup or saltine crackers anymore (because of the sodium and processed-foodness of each), but back when I did, I would love to crumble up saltine crackers into the bowl of tomato soup until most of the liquid was absorbed and I was left with an unappetizing-looking (but tasty) bowl of cracker mush.  Salty, tomato goodness!  

On October 3, 2016 at 6:42 PM, BooksRule said:

I would love to crumble up saltine crackers into the bowl of tomato soup until most of the liquid was absorbed and I was left with an unappetizing-looking (but tasty) bowl of cracker mush.  Salty, tomato goodness!  

Ditto.

But I buttered the saltines first. And I had to have creamy tomato soup, even if it was just skim milk. And I would eat as I crumbled.

Wait, was that an artery I just heard slam shut?

• Love 5

I never cared for tomato soup until I was an adult, but I still prefer to crumble crackers into whatever kind of soup I'm having. If I'm out with people besides family, I won't do it, but at home, if I have crackers, I will crumble them into my Campbell's chicken noodle soup or vegetable beef soup -- which I still like to have on occasion. I'm just disappointed that the last time I bought vegetable beef, it didn't have barley in it. I swear it used to, and that's one of the things I liked about it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, auntlada said:

I'm just disappointed that the last time I bought vegetable beef, it didn't have barley in it. I swear it used to, and that's one of the things I liked about it.

They have vegetable beef and vegetable beef with barley. Perhaps you grabbed the wrong can :)

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, forumfish said:

Speaking of butter, does anyone else butter hardboiled eggs? I just enjoyed half an egg, topped with butter and salt and pepper, for lunch. Along with cheese, crackers and olives.

That's one of my fave lunches. As long as there's also a square of chocolate or something sweet for "dessert". 

I only butter warm boiled eggs, like right out of the water. Otherwise I dip 'em in salt.

On 9/14/2016 at 7:52 PM, larapu2000 said:

Finally, Totino's Party Pizza is the greatest pizza ever made, frozen, or from scratch.  I could eat 500 of them at once.

I've been haunted by Totino's since I read this.  And this week, the Party Pizza is on sale at every one of the 3 grocery stores that put out weekly sales papers in the newspaper.  Guess they've got me surrounded and I have to give in.

Somehow, Oyster Crackers taste soooo much better to me then regular saltines.  I can eat these in soup or just by themselves.  I'm partial to Nabisco Premium ir Trader Joe; store brands have not made the cut for me.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Somehow, Oyster Crackers taste soooo much better to me then regular saltines.  I can eat these in soup or just by themselves.  I'm partial to Nabisco Premium ir Trader Joe; store brands have not made the cut for me.

I love Oyster Crackers and cannot keep them in the house. My mom used to make a recipe (that was somehow Weight Watchers):

• 1 12oz box Oyster Crackers
  • 6 TBSP (that's right, 6 tablespoons) of oil (not specified, she'd use regular Canola)
  • 1tsp dill
  • 1pkg dry Ranch dressing

Wisk oil, dill and dressing in a small bowl and pour over crackers. Toss every 5 minutes for 30 minutes then sit for 30 minutes. Consume.

On 10/5/2016 at 6:22 PM, DeLurker said:

I've been haunted by Totino's since I read this.  And this week, the Party Pizza is on sale at every one of the 3 grocery stores that put out weekly sales papers in the newspaper.  Guess they've got me surrounded and I have to give in.

I got one of those Totino's Party Pizzas this past weekend due to the discussion in this thread. I hadn't had one in years. I decided to get what was my favorite one back in the day Hamburger. I made it earlier and it was pretty good. I admit that I added extra cheese (Fiesta Blend) which probably made it taste better to. The sauce still had that sweet taste I remembered.

• Love 1

Oyster crackers are definitely better than Saltines. I have no idea why either.

While we're talking about tomato soup, I like Campbell's in the can. I hate all other canned soup, but the slight tinniness of can somehow adds something to the soup.  

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:17 AM, NewDigs said:

There's actually a gas station not too far from here that sells Broasted chicken livers and gizzards. Not a gizzards fan but the livers...

You don't live in Colorado do you?  I was just there and we stopped at a gas station that sold broasted chicken livers and gizzards.   Which I thought was exceptionally bizarre because, you know, it was a gas station.

On 10/7/2016 at 6:48 PM, Jaded said:

I got one of those Totino's Party Pizzas this past weekend due to the discussion in this thread. I hadn't had one in years. I decided to get what was my favorite one back in the day Hamburger. I made it earlier and it was pretty good. I admit that I added extra cheese (Fiesta Blend) which probably made it taste better to. The sauce still had that sweet taste I remembered.

I still get a Totino's Party Pizza (pepperoni for me) when I'm sick. Which, I realize sounds completely insane, but if I have a non stomach related illness (I get bronchitis about once a year) it's my go-to comfort food. I always say to my husband "I'm sick, I want garbage pizza" and he gets it for me and gets himself something that isn't a Totino's Party Pizza! 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, mansonlamps said:

You don't live in Colorado do you?  I was just there and we stopped at a gas station that sold broasted chicken livers and gizzards.   Which I thought was exceptionally bizarre because, you know, it was a gas station.

Ha! Nope, Florida. I spotted their huge "LIVERS GIZZARDS" sign and had to pull in. I brake for chicken livers? And I am loving seeing more places broasting. I had broasted sea scallops recently (not at a gas station) and they were delish. It's such a crispy light coating.

And thanks, I hope, to the convo here I too have a Totino's Party pepperoni Pizza stashed in my freezer. Maybe tonight.

• Love 3
On 10/10/2016 at 0:09 PM, Lisin said:

I still get a Totino's Party Pizza (pepperoni for me) when I'm sick. Which, I realize sounds completely insane, but if I have a non stomach related illness (I get bronchitis about once a year) it's my go-to comfort food. I always say to my husband "I'm sick, I want garbage pizza" and he gets it for me and gets himself something that isn't a Totino's Party Pizza! 

So many of you love these.  My youngest son (38 yrs), has this exact craving when he is sick or bummed out.  I think they are hideous!  I call them oregano pies.

On 10/5/2016 at 2:15 PM, biakbiak said:

This isn't weird if you're French but my favorite snack since I was a child is radishes with butter and salt.

I love this combo, too.  Radish sandwiches on thin good quality, buttered white bread are delicious.  Salt, too, of course.

On 10/5/2016 at 1:39 PM, forumfish said:

Speaking of butter, does anyone else butter hardboiled eggs? I just enjoyed half an egg, topped with butter and salt and pepper, for lunch. Along with cheese, crackers and olives.

I love this.  I finely chop HB eggs and add soft butter like you would mayo if making egg salad.  Spread on crackers, so good.  

I have been putting a squeeze of lemon on most food now, for years.  As you know, all chefs recommend this on every cooking show.  It brightens the taste.    Next time you make Campbell's cream of tomato soup, pour 2 bowls.  Put a squeeze of lemon in one and taste the difference.  The lemon totally removes the canned taste.  It tastes fresh!  

I never cook with canned soup but if you do, lemon is going to make a huge difference.  

• Love 1

When I get a steak dinner I put Worcestershire sauce on the steak. And the potato. And the bread.

I love pickled beets and I eat them right out of the jar and then drink the juice. I got "The Look" from my son the other day for that. I actually get the look from him a lot. When I eat pears or pineapple mixed in cottage cheese. Or Miracle Whip on pineapple with some paprika on top. What can I say, I'm a 70's kid.

Love fried chicken livers. I dip them in barbecue sauce.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, forumfish said:

We did that, but instead of paprika, we threw a little shredded cheddar on top. We also made the "salad" with a canned pear half instead of pineapple sometimes.

Oh yeah I forgot, we put the shredded cheddar on top. That must be why I love Hawaiian pizza so much. I get "The Look" for loving pineapple on my pizza too.

I grew up with this so it seemed normal but have never met anyone who didn't look askance -- peanut butter and mayonnaise (gotta be Miracle Whip!) sandwiches. I don't remember ever having pb and jelly.

It's still my second-favorite toast topping, after guacamole.

Edited by lordonia

I'm pretty boring I just eat peanut butter and jam but my Dad used to eat peanut butter and mustard sandwiches. When I was a kid I would eat everything just like my Dad but I could never do the peanut butter and mustard thing. Eww.

I'm sitting here, hungry. I have nothing to snack on, and it's too early for lunch.  I probably shouldn't be reading food threads, but hey, turns out that the thought of a peanut butter and mustard sandwich kind of did the trick for me.  I am having a hard time imagining this one working for me.

I mean, I'm trying... Seems like yellow mustard wouldn't work for me as it's just a really sharp flavor that I can't see playing well with sweet peanut butter flavor, so I'm thinking about some of the other mustard I have in my refrigerator.  Spicy brown? Maybe, but probably not. Horseradish? Definitely a no. I have a couple of cool ones with a bit of a sweeter hit. I'm thinking Raye's Sea Dog might not be completely objectionable. I mean, it's better with a soft pretzel, but at least I'm giving this a thought.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, aquarian1 said:

And lots of people like peanut butter on hamburgers, which may or may not also have mustard on them.

That's an interesting point. I really like peanut sauces in Asian food which have all sorts of savory elements.  (Although I question your use of "lots" in that sentence. Heh.)

• Love 3

i love peanut butter, banana, lettuce and mayo sandwiches.  Never Miracle Whip!  I totally get PB on a hamburger because of its use in Asian food now that you mention it, JTMacc.

I also like something savory with sweets and it has to be my last bite, too.

I love liver with onions and bacon but not fond of chicken livers. Love the heart and gizzards though. 

People cannot believe that I don't like tomato sauce and, of course, that includes Italian food.  It is mainly starch in different shapes covered in canned tomatoes. I hate canned food. Never eat it or use in cooking. 

In the 1970's many people were saying that margarine was healthier than butter. My parents bought into that. We used it all the time thinking it was healthier. Thankfully they now know that unsalted butter in moderation is better than margarine in everyday use. 

9 hours ago, wings707 said:

People cannot believe that I don't like tomato sauce and, of course, that includes Italian food.  It is mainly starch in different shapes covered in canned tomatoes.

You do realize that you can put other sauces on pasta, right? Not just tomato. For example; garlic sauteed in olive oil, which only takes about 5 minutes to make.

Confession: I like pasta with blue cheese salad dressing on it.

• Love 2

When I was in grade school in the 70s my mom would give us Ding Dong cakes as a special afterschool treat on Fridays. At some point she stopped & I didn't have another one until a few years ago when all of us now-grandparent kids got together for a summer cook out and my brother brought a couple of boxes for nostalgia's sake . Those things are awful! The chocolate frosting tastes like plastic and the cream filling is tasteless, even the grandkids didn't like them. 

My food confession is I love Kraft Mac & Cheese made with margarine instead of butter. 

• Love 2

Those things are awful! The chocolate frosting tastes like plastic and the cream filling is tasteless, even the grandkids didn't like them.

That reminds me of when (a few years ago) I tried a Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pie after not having one in many, many years. The cake tasted the same (although maybe a little sweeter to my adult palate), but I remembered there being a lot more of the cream filling.  This was mainly cake with just a smidge of filling.  I didn't buy any more until a couple of years ago, when I thought I would give them one more try.  Well, the cake was the same as the last time, but there was much more filling--just like I remembered from my childhood.  So, I'm wondering if they tried getting by with less cream filling and got complaints and had to go back to the way it used to be (or maybe I just got a box that missed most of the cream filling station when they went through the assembly line!).   

• Love 1