Type keyword(s) to search

The 1980's in Stranger Things: All 80's References and What It's Gotten Right

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Redrum said:

Oh people were doing stuff in 1986 online, I agree. I was there, after all, on a BBS board, but the bullshit I call is Susie calling it the Internet in 1986.

I’ve only yet watched as far as Ep5, but I did get spoiled on the quote you’re referencing - and yeah, Suzie’s reference to…

Spoiler

IP geolocation 

…was premature by about a decade, give or take.  😆

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/17/2022 at 2:34 PM, Redrum said:

Oh people were doing stuff in 1986 online, I agree. I was there, after all, on a BBS board, but the bullshit I call is Susie calling it the Internet in 1986.

Yeah. Even if she was legit or hackedly calling into a college that was on the internet, it would have been called DARPAnet or ARPAnet back then.

1986 - back when the national backbone was 56kilobps.

Edited by QuantumMechanic
  • Useful 1
(edited)

The video rental store Steve worked in in season 4 reminded me of one down the block from me growing up.  Good times.  

That was until Blockbuster put them out of business and other stores like that.  I do have some nostalgia for Blockbuster at times as well but it's those private vhs rental stores that really hit the nostalgic note with me.  

Edited by BlueSkies
  • Love 3

Jocks in high school haven’t really changed much over time but Jason was probably a good example for that time period.

I loved sports pre high school but guys like that by the time I got to high school turned me off too it.  There’s other reasons too