Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: The Dream Begins

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

Season 11 begins with hundreds of beautiful and talented hopefuls arriving to try out for the team, while many of the returning girls are looking for redemption. New judges increase the pressure of moving on to Finals

Remember to talk about this episode only. Go to spoilers and speculation if you want to talk about events not in this episode.

Some thoughts on Episode 1:

1. The "look" of the show feels a bit different. As if they filmed it a bit differently.  Does that make sense? 

2. Did anyone else think that prelims was WAY too short? It felt like it was over so quickly.

3. Could have done without the "pee" segment.  ICK!

4. It's going to feel like this week is going to drag by until the next episode!

• Love 4

That was an interesting premier.

1. That random dude - Entertainment Tonight? Ramos? - what was the point of him exactly?

2. The stylist looked absolutely ridiculous and there is no way I'd let him near my hair at all.

3. I wish I could've had more than a glimpse of Yuko's amazing dance skills.

• Love 8
11 minutes ago, ChlcGirl said:

That was an interesting premier.

1. That random dude - Entertainment Tonight? Ramos? - what was the point of him exactly?

2. The stylist looked absolutely ridiculous and there is no way I'd let him near my hair at all.

3. I wish I could've had more than a glimpse of Yuko's amazing dance skills.

My feelings EXACTLY!  I always liked most of the judges in the past, I found the ones this year very unlikable.  LOVE Yuko so far!

6 minutes ago, Java said:

UGH -- utterly ticked off. Caught about the last 2 minutes. Hopefully they replay it somewhere else on the schedule. 

Recap anyone?   

It repeats at 9:30 Central. About 11 minutes from this post.

Okay - I thought Yuko was sooooo annoying.  Like wow.   Not attractive or a good dancer either.   They had to dub a voice track that could speak English on top of her interviews that's a how poor her English is!

Emily Rosslyn looked so gorgeous to me, like wow - like she is as pretty as KD to me.  My daughter didn't think she was that pretty though and thought her face looked frozen, so I guess not everyone agrees w/ me.

And speaking of frozen faces - Candace romo looks so plastic and phony.  Yuck - not a fan.

How about Tasha in that photo holding her newborn after just giving birth w/ a full face of glam makeup?

Madeline crying made me roll my eyes, but her look has really improved.   At least Auto Amy kept her emotions under control.

I thought ex-DCC Jenna looked amazing.

Kyndall is so adorable.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, ChlcGirl said:

Was he the one who always had a 'Whaaaa????' look? Because yes.

I love Neil McCoy.

Glad Madeline made it but I hate her hair. So glad Amy made it.

• Love 1
Just now, woodscommaelle said:

Was he the one who always had a 'Whaaaa????' look? Because yes.I

He was the one with the messy man bun tonight, and the flowing Fabio locks in the previews.  And what appeared to be a face full of fillers and restalyn.

• Love 2

I actually enjoyed the pee segment.    I really wish we could've seen more auditions, including the flops.  Maybe they'll have extras on the CMT website.

And I have to comment on Kellie's glasses. She always wears them when she is studying photos.  They (she has several pair) are really cute.   (She should market a new line  : Fin GLASSes!)

Charlotte looked awesome. She seems softer somehow.  

• Love 6
52 minutes ago, cherryblossom said:

Who was the girl with the red hair and green outfit in the audience that has tried out before?  Too tired to write anything else about the show

That is Jaime. I believe she was on the Ice Angels with Kelsey and KQ last year. She is also a current Ice Angel for the new season

• Love 1

I think it's odd that as a whole we have been asking to see more dancing. Instead we got a Kelli and Ramos time filler, a pee pee incident time filler, and why why why did they edit Tasha to seem like she was an unwed teen loser mom from MTV? I think that is really weird.

Again, it would be a better show if they showed more dancing from the process. Still, I am hooked.

• Love 4

I thought the turnout was down at least 30% from prior seasons, and maybe they had half of the group off camera sometimes? They did show Auto Amy, Kelsey, and Yuko doing WONDERFUL freestyle moments. And I fell in love with Kylee!

Tasha's glammy neonate picture made me reach for ointment.

I'm very glad they changed up the narrative while Judy taught the combo, the judging system, and the kickline. The past few seasons, it felt like I could speak for them because it was sooo repetitive. 

They didn't feature her background, but Selena (from Mexico last year?) made it to finals! Good for her!

Edited by Bubbetv
Kylee not Kaylee
  • Love 3

I actually found Candice way more likable than I anticipated. I am almost positive that she was originally a sports journalist (and that is how she met her husband) so I shouldn't be shocked she came across well on TV.

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, Stinkerbell said:

Hoooow in the world do they keep that dry erase board from smudging?? I hold my breath every year when he pulls off that blanket and then everyone is touching it. Permanent marker and new one each time?

I pay way too much attention but it's actually covered in white paper.,, that's what she's writing on. 

• Love 5

* I do agree that the episode had a different feel but like you all, I couldn't tell you what it is

* prelims were literally 10 minutes. So so short!!

* when the did the flashback to last season of madeline, I didn't realize what a change she has made! She does look a little more mature with her hair and I do like the curls. Her face does seem a little thinner even though she still does have those round cheeks (hey I do too and I take pride haha)

* Heather O presents herself very well!! I hope she sticks around for a few years

Spoiler

Kylee just seems so adorable, I hate that she didn't get put through to TC

* agreed with the Tasha segment. I do definitely like her but they made the edit seem like she was some struggling single parent

* I was surprised there was no talking head from Shelbi 

* I could have done without the pee segment 

* I did actually like Candice! She seemed very warm

• Love 2

That girl Kylee seems like everything Kelli & Judy could want in a DCC!!  She's so pretty, professional and well spoken, polished looking, super cute, AND danced at a college that's known for having an amazing dance team! And her team won that DCC contest thing, so they could use her storyline as inpiration to the other teams that enter.  Great promotional opportunities. Does anyone know if there is anything juicy or non-DCC about her? 

Every time they showed that girl Emma I thought she looked gorgeous. She just looks like she should be a DCC in my opinion.  She's like a longer, leaner version of Cami Branson that tried out last year.  I hope Emma makes DCC next year! 

I understand Kelli has to talk throughout the episode so we know what's going on, but I wish CMT would show people we're interested in seeing WHILE she's talking, instead of the screen showing Kelli's "concerned", unsmiling face for 50% of the screen time.  We get it, she does her makeup well.  Besides that, I really enjoyed this episode! Can't wait to see the solos and the Caila and Kat details next week!!

Edited by ThreaLevelMidnight
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Dccfan126 said:

I actually found Candice way more likable than I anticipated. I am almost positive that she was originally a sports journalist (and that is how she met her husband) so I shouldn't be shocked she came across well on TV.

Me too! Love that she's so down to earth! I think she had a very fledgling TV career as an entertainment reporter for the WB affiliate in Dallas- so less than 1% of Dallas population watches that network or knew her before Tony Romo.

These clips are more "real" Candice than I've ever seen of her, and I'm glad to know she's so relatable! Great PR move, Charlotte!

It's especially refreshing to know she's probably a sweet, likeable and cool chic considering her daily life is slightly different than mine.

http://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity-real-estate/tony-romo-selling-texas-home/

1. The 'filler' segments thew the episode off.  Focus on the women trying out.  Not Mr. Access Hollywood.

2. Madeline looked fantastic.  Far more adult and still had the charm and grace she had last year. 

3. Tasha can't do the splits.

4. My husband is anti-Yuko.  I'm willing to see how this is handled.  She came off very charming and girl can dance!

5.  Kelsey looked gorgeous. 

6.  I'm going to watch it again.  I have to freeze frame it on the group shots so I can see some of the women the camera just blew by.

7.  Not impressed with the editing.  Seriously, It's a dance competition and we got about 15 minutes of dance at the most. 

• Love 7

I guess the thing that bugged me the most about Candace was how her face was so shot up and frozen with Botox that she could barely even speak or smile.  Assuming she's in her early 30's, at the oldest, I think that's ridiculous.    Her personality also seemed very rehearsed w/ very little "substance" to me - interesting that she was in sports broadcasting becuase I was gonna say she reminded me a bit of that ex-DCC Jordan who missed the bus and had to sit out the game her rookie season - wasn't she a sports broadcaster too?

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Middle.of.Nowhere said:

1. The 'filler' segments thew the episode off.  Focus on the women trying out.  Not Mr. Access Hollywood.

2. Madeline looked fantastic.  Far more adult and still had the charm and grace she had last year. 

3. Tasha can't do the splits.

4. My husband is anti-Yuko.  I'm willing to see how this is handled.  She came off very charming and girl can dance!

5.  Kelsey looked gorgeous. 

6.  I'm going to watch it again.  I have to freeze frame it on the group shots so I can see some of the women the camera just blew by.

7.  Not impressed with the editing.  Seriously, It's a dance competition and we got about 15 minutes of dance at the most. 

Yes, yes yes! I agree 100% with everything this says.   I was SO looking forward to this episode and was really disappointed and underwhelmed...I think this was the worst episode I have seen on MTT.  It was nothing but commercials and like this poster said there truly were only about 15 minutes of dance.  Oh well, I can always enjoy watching the past seasons for my DCC fix!

Edited by missmansfield
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

I guess the thing that bugged me the most about Candace was how her face was so shot up and frozen with Botox that she could barely even speak or smile.  Assuming she's in her early 30's, at the oldest, I think that's ridiculous.    Her personality also seemed very rehearsed w/ very little "substance" to me - interesting that she was in sports broadcasting becuase I was gonna say she reminded me a bit of that ex-DCC Jordan who missed the bus and had to sit out the game her rookie season - wasn't she a sports broadcaster too?

Yes, there is something really off about her face.

• Love 1

Really enjoyed the first episode. Kelly looked beautiful as always. Appreciated seeing Judy teaching the combo. Sorry, imo Charlotte is looking her age, periid.Candace Romo was warm & kind. ("Jerrah" Jones curse continues, with Candace's quarterback hubby injured in tonight's preseason game)

Excited & proud of both Utah women; Mads curls = love. Hope to see A LOT more of her dancing, which is phenomenal. Tasha was depicted as a single mom = weird. Thought her personality was sweet/cute tho. 

Loved Kyndall, Maggie & Heather but not auto-Amy. Kelsey is gorgeous while Kelly definitely looks older than almost every other lady. Yuko has a joy to her appearance...very adorable. 

Can't wait for next week's drama. Certainly appears Caila had a crap interview (Donald = ugh)while poor Kate had the deer in the headlights look.

• Love 2

@Dccfan126 funny note about Kelsey! I think it's more her mouth though, her mom is a dental hygienist and trust me her teeth are perfect! 

Ive noticed something odd to though, so maybe it's her mouth? I know she and Caila whiten to hell so maybe that's it as well.

(ps, not trying to attack you because youre entitled to your opinion. I've noticed something  as well.)

"I am always amazed at the amount of commercials played.  It seems like every time I turn around its commercial time.  I would not be surprised of 20 minutes of the hour were the actually the show- the rest of the time is all commercials.  I would have loved to see a 2 hour premiere!"

This comment was from the other thread (quote box is not working).  I think that is the difference from the show’s first seasons and now.  So many commercials ruin whatever good storylines there are.  Everything seems to be a soundbite and then they move on. It’s such a pity.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Pj3422 said:

I agree the premiere had a different look, but I couldn't tell you what was different. And am I imagining things, or did there seem to be fewer auditioners on the first day?

I was trying to figure this out. It seemed they had eliminated the whole first round when a lot of people line up outside and there are a lot of bad dancers trying out and you see some of the really terrible ones, the way they did prelims on American Idol. They may have changed the conditions for tryouts to make it more professional or they just decided to stop showing that on TV. 

23 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I was trying to figure this out. It seemed they had eliminated the whole first round when a lot of people line up outside and there are a lot of bad dancers trying out and you see some of the really terrible ones, the way they did prelims on American Idol. They may have changed the conditions for tryouts to make it more professional or they just decided to stop showing that on TV. 

The first round is definitely still there, but they only showed it for like 10 minutes :(

• Love 1

Was the part about Tasha  getting pregnant at age 17 (which definitely would alter the majority of girls' lives as far as success goes) true?   It did come across that she decided not to let that stop her from her "regular" life plans had she not made that tiny slip up.  

I feel as though the show is becoming more "produced" and less documentary style which makes it feel a bit contrived and not as earnest as previous seasons.  

I actually liked Yuko.  She can dance and seems to have a sweet spirit.

JENNA.  I had been wondering ever since that season she was cut who the hell she was.  They never featured her in her rookie season.  Next season when they were talking about the vets gaining weight and they showed her I was like, Who the hell is she?  Finally, my question has been answered!

• Love 6
8 hours ago, Middle.of.Nowhere said:

Thank you!!!! They're going to sell so many "celebrity " spots on this show, then have to show those "celebrities" so much that pretty soon it will just be a show about celebrities talking about the DCC.

13 minutes ago, Gabrielle Tracy said:

I could imagine him interviewing tributes at the Hunger Games

???????

There were definitely less girls trying out this year.  Or at least not 500-600 like they always say - that was very clear when you saw them sitting in bleachers!  Do they get like 500 applications (and a bunch don't show) and that's why they say that many tried out? ?  

I think the clip with 'bad dancers' with a 'bad look' was short because I truly don't think they get that many anymore.  Most people know they will be featured on the show and prob don't care to be embarrassed unless they are just a super confident person. I thought the pee segment was kind of funny - I didn't think it was mean, just another example of what a stressful experience it is.  I mean, they had a girl barfing last year so... also made me like Candice for her comments on how it can happen to anybody.  I like her so far.  I don't mind Anthony Ramos either I just think it's a little odd to have him interviewing the girls too along with CMT but whatevs. 

Wow the gorgeous tall blondes this year! Maggie, Heather O, Tasha and Mandy are STUNNING.  Just all so beautiful with great figures and personalities (that we've seen so far).  Love Maggie's voice!!  Her prelim outfit is one of my all-time favorites.  

So Tasha had a baby at 19, unmarried.  Obviously the guy didn't stick around, she pursued a dancing career - did Utah Jazz then went on to Phoenix Suns and THAT is where she met current husband.  He clearly adopted her daughter since they have the same last name.  Do I have all of this correct? Trying to piece it out since they didn't explain her story too well... but I do think she was a 'teen unwed mom' and has only been married about a year.  as for being made up after giving birth, LOL - this is so common among really young girls who have babies.  Or maybe ti's just my FB circle haha Most have admitted they showered, did their hair and make up and then got a pic with baby to share with friends. They have those in the rough pics for themselves but the more 'glam' ones they share.  maybe I'm just so used to it that I didn't think twice.  And I suppose this makes me a shallow B to some here but if I had a baby in my teen years I'd probably refuse pictures unless I was done up.  Totally different mindset at that age than I have now haha Anyway, Team Tasha for now.  :) 

Refuse to judge anyone's dancing abilities yet.  They have shown like 7.6 seconds of them dancing lol so just not fair for me to make a call on who is great and who is not.  

I actually think Yuko is precious so far - I teared up when she started crying about being lonely while following this dream.  

As a team full cheeks and curly hair - GO MADDIE!! Adore her and think she looks awesome.  

Kyndall - SO PRETTY.  Her skin and hair are just - so jealous!! 

Kelsey and Emily Roslyn both looked so stunning.  

I thought J, K and C all were pretty nice with their comments.  Charlotte even saying how wonderful Jenna looked (and she did - dang girl!!) and Kelli's remarks even about Emily's "intense stare" were kinder than "snake eyes".  They all looked great this year too! 

Sorry so long - mind vomit LOL! Going to watch it again tonight on CMT.com!! 

32 minutes ago, GingerJ said:

Thank you!!!! They're going to sell so many "celebrity " spots on this show, then have to show those "celebrities" so much that pretty soon it will just be a show about celebrities talking about the DCC.

???????

It's going to be like Dancing with the Stars, where at this point the dancing pros are more famous than the celebs they get on it LOL  Maybe this was Melissa's evil plan all along!! ;-D 

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, Beana8 said:

JENNA.  I had been wondering ever since that season she was cut who the hell she was.  They never featured her in her rookie season.  Next season when they were talking about the vets gaining weight and they showed her I was like, Who the hell is she?  Finally, my question has been answered!

Same.  I got her and Cassie Kathleen confused that year and then both were one and done with weight gain so they kind of fell into oblivion for me.  

Let me just say it's so weird watching the show knowing who gets through and who doesn't. I like picking them out and seeing what the judges saw in them. 

Thoughts:

Love Milan and what I've seen of her so far. I'm obsessed with Heather O, she's the Heather I wish I could be lmao 

Maggie is definitely another of my faves. 

Love Maddie's curly hair, curious to see what they do with it during makeovers though. I know it's still curly which is nice.

Candice is adorable, can we keep her instead of Melissa?

Show more of Allie please, she flies under the radar. 

I hope we'll find out more about Hunter next week. 

10 hours ago, Dccfan126 said:

Candace is super genuine and super sweet in real life. 

• Love 7

I was really proud of Jenna for losing the weight! She looks like she's in such good shape! I wasn't really feeling her look though.  I can't really put my finger on what it is, she just looks like she has a lot of mileage on her.  I don't know a better way to describe it.  Something about the over bleached hair, leathery skin and no eyebrows thing.

I'm glad we now know how to pronounce Cersten's name!  

I wish they showed hunter for more than a half second.  That makes me think they won't show her next week either. 

I really like Candace Romo's personality!  Not loving her frozen face but I love that she wasn't afraid to embarrass herself a little in order to make that poor girl that peed feel a little less ashamed. 

Edited by ThreaLevelMidnight
  • Love 3

In the stadium, with a wide shot of all the girls seated,  we froze the frame. There are approximately 215 girls. Unless there is an entire section not shown in the clip I don't know how they got audition numbers going up to 500. Kelli stands dead center in front of the group.  There may be a second section full of women, anyone know? 

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, ThreaLevelMidnight said:

I was really proud of Jenna for losing the weight! She looks like she's in such good shape! I wasn't really feeling her look though.  I can't really put my finger on what it is, she just looks like she has a lot of mileage on her.  I don't know a better way to describe it.  Something about the over bleached hair, leathery skin and no eyebrows thing.

I'm glad we now know how to pronounce Cersten's name!  

I wish they showed hunter for more than a half second.  That makes me think they won't show her next week either. 

I really like Candace Romo's personality!  Not loving her frozen face but I love that she wasn't afraid to embarrass herself a little in order to make that poor girl that peed feel a little less ashamed. 

See I thought Jenna looked wonderful and fresh, and not so artificially made up as some of the other girls.

• Love 5