Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: A Courtship Begins

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Your entire post made me LOL.  Tell your headship that I appreciate his sacrifice so that you could bring the laughs.  Now I'm going to have to watch this stupid show for myself just to see what everyone's talking about.

Why thank you!  That is why I went back to watching.  Everyone in this fine group was making me giggle like a madwoman.  But the headship is NEVER learning I started watching again.  I cannot take the shaming!  Still trying to get him to forget about the massive shaming he gave me for Mrs. Kravitzing (with binoculars in MY ROBE!) the poor old man getting a DUI in front of our house.  He just didn't seem to understand I needed to know who my neighbors are.  

• Love 12
On August 25, 2016 at 2:37 PM, fuzzylollipop said:

Just curious, how exactly does this ovulation tracker work? I'm kid free (knock on wood) and Satan built a fortress in my vagina so I've been on birth control pills forever and plan on staying that way until menopause so I have no clue how one would go about trying to get pregnant. 

Also, this revelation makes Jessa's comment about being "so surprised" at being pregnant even more eye rolling. Poor Ben, I thought at least he was getting frequent sex out of being with Jessa but now he probably just gets it when she's ovulating. What a sad life. 

It tracks your LH surge (lutenizing hormone) 24 hours or so after you get a positive you'll ovulate. Time to have sex! 

2 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I have threatened cameras :).  Between me and my cat Riggs, NOTHING gets by us!    Besides, what are binoculars for except finding out VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION?  Neighborhood watch.  That's my excuse and I am sticking to it.  HA!

• Love 6
On 8/24/2016 at 4:20 PM, IntoTheMystic said:

Jill seems to be very over Central America and having her gringo child there. Derek wants another baby and it IS up to him when they add to the family, but he should crack open a book and be mindful of Zika before he unzips the fly of authority and procreates.

So, reading and eating almost resulted in my dead. I am dead. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

The Olympics ended on Sunday, so there was no conflict of that sort with the premiere of this show. 

I think she meant that the Olympics are why TLC didn't start the season until the middle of August.  The Olympics does draw a lot of viewers away.  

Did TLC promote this at all?  I had no idea there was going to be a season two.  Just caught it when flipping channels.  Lucky me!

• Love 2
On 8/24/2016 at 4:20 PM, IntoTheMystic said:

Jill seems to be very over Central America and having her gringo child there. Derek wants another baby and it IS up to him when they add to the family, but he should crack open a book and be mindful of Zika before he unzips the fly of authority and procreates.

You win the internet today! Except somebody owes me a new keyboard! We can settle up in the prayer closet.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Absolom said:

Older shows are usually more expensive to produce.

IMHO because I know there are many here who know a lot more about TV, revenue buys, and cost to produce than I do.

The reason why The Little Couple is still on the air: They're a great face for TLC. Two nice people who seem to have no skeletons in their closet, two adorable kids, and half an hour a week that makes even cynical me weep a few tears of happiness for them. (It's dusty in my family room.) I don't know if everyone noted this, but I've seen it pop up in my FB timeline ads several times over the past few weeks. TLC is launching a channel similar to the standalones like CBS and HBO Go; you'll be able to watch TLC shows and reruns until your eyeballs fall out (or the headship arrives home and wonders where the hell his dinner is, LOL). One has to wonder if the 10+ years of Duggar reruns will end up there as well.

Aside to the demographics: The 19-40 something women who AREN'T tuning into the Duggars? That's disastrous.

This is most likely Nancy and Co's big hope to recover last year's big write-down as well as dump years of content into a cash-generating resource for them. The Little Couple is featured in every ad I've seen so far. They're also able to attract advertisers, which is more than I can say for the Duggars. 

Let's face it: What would make anyone who isn't aware of TLC's programming tune in? Attractive, photogenic family, or the cast of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, 88Keys said:

I think she meant that the Olympics are why TLC didn't start the season until the middle of August.  The Olympics does draw a lot of viewers away.  

Did TLC promote this at all?  I had no idea there was going to be a season two.  Just caught it when flipping channels.  Lucky me!

I don't really watch TLC, but I saw a preview or two, so I figure they pimped it big time. They also pimped it on the social media, aside from Instagram. TLC promotes every other show on IG except the Duggars. I must guess that's due to ad revenue? 

• Love 1

If I'm figuring out the propers in my reading of TLC's programming strategy bringing this out when they did?  Those ratings are not just bad, they are a disaster.  Discovery et al did this in the past; they planned on viewer fatigue with election coverage on one side and the Olympics on the other and hoped something mild and easy to watch would draw viewers in.  Boy were they wrong! 

I wonder if the show will last past this season or even TLC as we recognize it simply due to the shift in viewing platforms. 

I too only knew the show was on from this forum because I have cut out at least 90% of crap promo filler and commercials.  Less and less people are watching networks or even scheduled programs as they are watching on-demand and streaming units.  And that shift is a wave, it is only going to get bigger until something even more convenient to shift through to the single things a viewer wants comes along.  That sort of dooms this show and others like it, because I think part of the appeal of many TLC shows are the coupled freak show nature of all of them added to the fact that you can do something else, walk away or miss a show and you don't miss anything.

When I see Jinjer with the Holy Goalie I do not see someone in "love" or even a crush.  I see a young woman who has a slight sense of relief she is no longer "on the shelf" and that she is worthy.  Someone who is slightly giddy at having the attention all on her in a way.  Bigger apprehension as she is self-aware enough to know if there is a horse bartering going on, she's the one having her teeth checked and her withers looked over.  Plus I think she simply hopes for a shift from where she is at.  Underlying each and every "romantic move" in the married and about to married Duggar-ettes is a strong sense of almost desperate move towards something, anything that will give them change from the situation they are in with those two parents of theirs.   I think one reason why Jana is able to persist is she is smart enough to realize that jumping from that frying pan simply puts you right in the fire.  She probably knows that when the pennies stop dribbling in, it will be the married daughters cut loose to fend for themselves.  She just might be looking at the short life of her courting and marrying and babying morning glory sisters and figuring when it all comes crashing down, she might be better off fending for herself with no kids and no shackled to a chosen for ratings husband.

Also my really cynical side says that a lot of what we just saw in this episode was a heavy re-working of the whole courtship for episodes approach.  It would not surprise me if someone from production sat down and helped them figure out what might be seen as more approachable and stressed the whole 'exotic' theme to their mating rituals just isn't a good idea since the pervert is waiting in the wings.  So many seasons of "Not Like Us" superiority just isn't going to fly.  And we get much more "almost like you".  Problem is, none are that bright and none are good at acting and so there is this almost muddy under current to me of confusion and uncertainty.  That is amusing as hell.  i wish they would do a live episode because I think someone is ready to either completely break the carefully crafted facade or just completely let loose and we'll see theme strip naked and run through the field while Jim Boob pops on camera (because I'll bet he is just off camera almost every single scene we see) and chases after them. 

• Love 19
1 hour ago, kaleidoscope said:

Please, NO!

Josh Duggar To Be Featured In The Second Episode Of “Counting On” Season 2

http://www.thebitbag.com/josh-duggar-to-be-featured-in-the-second-episode-of-counting-on-season-2-heres-the-evidence/175835

Yikes. That "article" is so poorly written that I can't figure out what their "evidence" is, and since I'm out of fucks to give about Joshley, I won't sit here and try to parse it and figure that out. 

So, does this mean that the Redemption Tour starts at some point in this season of Grifting On?

Oy.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, kaleidoscope said:

Please, NO!

http://www.thebitbag.com/josh-duggar-to-be-featured-in-the-second-episode-of-counting-on-season-2-heres-the-evidence/175835

I know it's just a still photo taken from film, but Josh's eyes look dead and his mind is clearly elsewhere...whilst Anna looks at him adoringly.

Gross.

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Jeeves said:

Yikes. That "article" is so poorly written that I can't figure out what their "evidence" is, and since I'm out of fucks to give about Joshley, I won't sit here and try to parse it and figure that out. 

So, does this mean that the Redemption Tour starts at some point in this season of Grifting On?

Oy.

I'm with you. The title claims he will appear, yet the article starts with it is "likely" he will appear. Make up your mind. They make it a big deal that we saw Anna on the first episode& she spoke about Josh-U-a.  Of course she spoke about him cuz TLC constantly asks her questions about him &their family at the start of each of her conversations.  Like the "Are you courting?" question that is constantly asked to each of the older unmarried kids at least once on each episode..  Why is this all of a sudden news breaking info? 

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 5

The Duggars are so romantic. Jeremy with his it has been a privilege to get to know you. JB with his courting is an evaluation, and Jeremy is a possibility for Jinger. Stop it you sweet talking fools. You are making my head spin!

10 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Remember you are going to be washing this man's underpants.  For life.

This just made my shit week so much better (no pun intended). Thank you for that much needed laugh. 

• Love 7

My headship is sleeping on our 3-year old son's bed - the 3 year old came out and officially told me Daddy was sleeping in his bed, but he was done with sleeping.  Anyway, kids are watching Angry Birds and I am watching Counting On thanks to You Tube.  All I have to say is that this version is doing my head in, all their voices are high pitched, all the stuff with Jessa at the start was making me think that Jessa had taken a leaf out of Michelle and become super sweet and I wanted to vomit.  I was almost relieved when all the others spoke in the same high pitched voice. 

I see the kids still sit on the counters in TTH.

In watching the courtship proposal, is it wrong to think Jeremy binge-watched 19 kids to get the language down pat?  Heart for service, blah, blah, blah...

• Love 7
7 hours ago, Missy Vixen said:

IMHO because I know there are many here who know a lot more about TV, revenue buys, and cost to produce than I do.

The reason why The Little Couple is still on the air: They're a great face for TLC. Two nice people who seem to have no skeletons in their closet, two adorable kids, and half an hour a week that makes even cynical me weep a few tears of happiness for them. (It's dusty in my family room.) I don't know if everyone noted this, but I've seen it pop up in my FB timeline ads several times over the past few weeks. TLC is launching a channel similar to the standalones like CBS and HBO Go; you'll be able to watch TLC shows and reruns until your eyeballs fall out (or the headship arrives home and wonders where the hell his dinner is, LOL). One has to wonder if the 10+ years of Duggar reruns will end up there as well.

Aside to the demographics: The 19-40 something women who AREN'T tuning into the Duggars? That's disastrous.

This is most likely Nancy and Co's big hope to recover last year's big write-down as well as dump years of content into a cash-generating resource for them. The Little Couple is featured in every ad I've seen so far. They're also able to attract advertisers, which is more than I can say for the Duggars. 

Let's face it: What would make anyone who isn't aware of TLC's programming tune in? Attractive, photogenic family, or the cast of My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding?

To me the huge appeal of Bill and Jen is that they don't NEED TLC. She's a neonatologist. He's a business owner for real -- not of the the Duggar variety where Daddy owns the business and the son rolls out of bed once in a while to show up -- ala Joshy and his car lot. Bc of that their show is very real. They are who they are; they are showing the struggles of being little people and of having busy lives and of being young parents. They don't particularly care if we're impressed or if we deem them boring and viewership falls off bc they have day jobs that keep them more than busy and more than pay their bills; so a TLC cancellation means nothing to them. This is pretty clear when they brought home their daughter (and maybe also they son) -- they allowed NO pics, no filming, and NO one visiting except the grandparents and likely aunts/uncles -- for like a few months bc they needed that time to bond with their kids as a family, esp. their daughter who screamed bloody murder for a LONG time after she had to leave her orphanage. OTOH there's the Duggars, daughters/Anna have popped out babies with cameras in their faces, have been filmed with the horde of 20 people visiting like an hr after birth when the mother can't even sit, and have been filmed as Jill was being wheeled off to a c section and Jessa was being rushed to the hospital. All for the almighty TLC dollar.

• Love 14

Risky move bringing Joshy back. I'm sure it's a ratings ploy bc if they advertise it through enough clips/articles, some people may tune into the episode to see Joshy, see what he says or if TLC will ignore the fact that he was humping other honeys. And I'm sure TLC thinks, once they see Joshy once, they'll be reminded how interesting the show is and will be tuning in for the rest of the season to see if Joshy appears again and if he doesn't, to follow the courtship ritual.

Problem is -- seems like there were at least 2-3 advertisers for the first episode. Even if they didn't want their ads to run during this show, if they were part of a bulk buy -- they didn't have much choice and they likely got over it. Thing is though for the family friendly brands that tend to promote on TLC, they know the Joshy story and do not want to be seen as promoting a molester and adulterer. And even a bulk buy comes with a contract that has certain outs. Once Joshy appears, I'm sure Legal at Disney or Kelloggs or whoever will be pouring over every line of the contract and calling TLC's counsel and saying - we know we have a bulk buy but under our contract we can refuse to have our ad run during a show that is morally objectionable to our brand, which molestation and adultery both are -- so if you run our ads one more time during Counting On, we have a legal complaint ready to go. So in return for Joshy's appearance, I hope TLC is ready to carry the show for an entire season again with made up promos for other TLC programming.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, kaleidoscope said:

Please, NO!

I actually didn't see any proof in that article that Josh is going to be in the next episode.  Anna had a talking head where she mentioned his name and rehab.  His family isn't completely shunning him.  Obviously that means he's going to be the center of attention again.  Eh...... that's a stretch.

I think we'll see Josh in the background in wedding scenes and other big family travels.  But I seriously doubt they let him talk on camera again.

• Love 1

Someone had mentioned that the mold house had as many knick knacks as her grandma's & Benessa will have a time getting things off the floor & out of Spurgy's hands & mouth.  I'm sure this was brought up when we got the first tour of the house when they got married, but did a furniture store decorate that place?  The whole house has an old mature vibe with the furniture choices, paint colors & accessories.  It doesn't look like they buy used & saved the difference we saw with the Dullard's McMansion.  I hang my head in shame cuz I knocked the Dullard's decorating choices but would much rather see the mismatched newlywed  or new homeowner look than to look like it came out of a magazine. Well maybe not as rustic as the Smuggar's with the bare used mattress on the guest room floor Prissy had to sleep on or showing your box of money in the doorless closet but a happy medium would be nice. Plus I guess Jessa hasn't realized the more stuff you have, the more that needs to be cleaned. I realize they live on a busy road & you don't want the world looking in but some lighter, brighter choices would do wonders. (Are the Bates' gals on loan for house decorating tutorials? Crossover episodes?) Spurgey's room looks so dark & uninviting, there's nothing cheerful & happy about it like a baby's room should be.  It really looks like a guest room with a crib shoved in a corner rather than a baby's room with some type of futon added for guests.  Vanessa is going to have to move some dust collectors out of the way when the bigger toys come along for the Littles. 

A funny (lack of) baby proofing story. My then 3yr old niece had been playing a little too quietly in my sister's room but boy was she busy.  She appeared with a bunch of pantiliners stuck all over herself as happy as could be (but a little upset when she realized she had reached the bottom of the box.)

• Love 11

I don't think Jessa's house was professionally decorated because a real designer would know not to use dark paint colors and clunky furniture in a 900 sq. ft. space. I think Boob may have bought the furniture as a wedding present for Jessa and maybe she went so oversized because she figured the Mold House was just a starter home and she'd be upgrading as soon as the Dullards vacated the McMansion. Not only did that not happen, but Jill bested her again by scoring the pool house.

• Love 1

I saw a promo for this on the ID channel which seems an odd fit. Murder and mayhem and...Duggars! But then I promptly forgot it was going to be on. Again. I couldn't make it through an entire episode before so don't hold much hope for this iteration.

I didn't realize those ratings were considered low. I think the RHoNY are happy with a 1.2 or 1.4.

Maybe they'll save The Wedding for a VSE. 

I figured Jill used the word "gringo" in an attempt to show off her mad spanish skillz. I'm going to guess that she heard "gringa" a lot. 

I'm going to have to try to watch but imagine everyone's comments here are much more entertaining.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, NewDigs said:

I saw a promo for this on the ID channel which seems an odd fit. Murder and mayhem and...Duggars! But then I promptly forgot it was going to be on. Again. I couldn't make it through an entire episode before so don't hold much hope for this iteration.

I didn't realize those ratings were considered low. I think the RHoNY are happy with a 1.2 or 1.4.

Maybe they'll save The Wedding for a VSE. 

I figured Jill used the word "gringo" in an attempt to show off her mad spanish skillz. I'm going to guess that she heard "gringa" a lot. 

I'm going to have to try to watch but imagine everyone's comments here are much more entertaining.

I'm fully expecting a Duggar episode of Deadly Women someday.

• Love 2

My Headship is also out and I was able to rewatch Boring On on TLC.go.  I used Chromecast so I saw it on my huge TV.

Jessa bending over from the waist with her eleventy yards of hair dangling dangerously while she wielded her electric drill -seemed so ironic to me since she was supposed to be making her house safer!

When Marcus lifted that picture frame off the floor, exposing months of dust bunnies- caused mostly from Jessa's eleventy yards of dangling hair, I nearly got sick!   She read my mind because the next scene shows her in a bun.

When Jeremy enter TTH, my eardrums were pierced listening to Michelle's HIGH-PITCHED JERRRRRRMYYYYY!!!

The Howlers were gathered around an enormous monitor watching something online, off to one side of the kitchen.

After Jinger and Jeremy re-entry TTH, after nearly being carried away by floodwaters (no downspouts???!), and announced their courtship, the camera pans off to Michael and Joshuuuua.

I also felt annoyance, maybe even anger, seeing Noelle dressed in African native wear, but not her blond-haired, bleu-eyed sister.God forbids that she ever, ever forget her adopted parents saving her, and Noelle getting an attitude.  The mom gave me the creeps.  And why did Jessa mention their last name 14 times??

Depressed Anna has lost the knack of wrangling her kids.  Marcus was poorly behaved in the hardware store and she distracted him with a tickle.  Without the camaras, would she have swatted him?  I think Joy and Jana have been mothering the older M's this past year.

Again I giggled as Josiah saunters off after his manly, big-truck lesson.

JB eating his chocolate pastry in the coffee shop was just hard for me to watch.

Michelle is wearing maternity wear when several months ago she was so tiny.

Jinger looked adorable prancing down the steps to greet her man.  But please, someone get her some acne meds soon!

• Love 2

I finally broke down and watched this episode...well, more of a watched/dozed/rolled my eyes/LOL'd combo.

I can't even with the stupid, frantic, sudden need to baby-proof the entire house for a two-hour visit from a 3- and 5-year old.  But if Jessa baby-proofed the fridge, toilet, and front & back doors - how on earth will Bin ever pee, eat, and escape?

I absolutely HATE the way Jessa plops Spurgie down into his little floor seat...for crying out loud, could she be just a tiny bit more gentle?!  

And here's where I thought my eyes were deceiving me:  who puts a bunch of tiny seashells on a dresser at the foot of a crib of a baby who can scoot and reach?!  I literally have NO WORDS for the absolute sheer stupidity of this!  WHO DOES THIS?!

Whoever mentioned that Jer is going to be saying, "oh Jinge" multiple times every he beds her was spot-on.  I mean, I felt like he was doing the deed with her with his eyes, right there on the bench, while the littles looked on from inside.  I felt like I was watching a fundie baby being made right there on the spot.  Yuck.

I find it really odd how the siblings discuss such random crap with the cameramen regarding the things their other siblings do, like having Jana philosophize on how Josiah would handle being trained to drive by John...it's so strange.  Are the Duggar kids so enmeshed in each other's lives that they both know and care what every one of them is doing when they're away from each other?  

Lastly, I'm convinced that Marcus is the smartest person in this entire family.  I loved how he walked around Jessa's house, like: "Yup, this is stupid.  This wall decoration?  Stupid.  This frame on the floor attached to entrails made of dust?  Really stupid.  This basket full of random crap?  You guessed it - stupid."

I want my 50 minutes back.

• Love 15

Yeah,I DVRed it and waited until my headship was out to watch it as well.  Some parts were boring as all fuck.  Thought Jessa was child proofing for Spurgie's sake. Anna looked happier than she did last season. She looked shell shocked during her THs last time.  We all want to know how she and the kids are, but I don't care to know anything about Smuggar.

Jinger looks happy and she deserves to be.  Just hope Jeremy treats her right and let's her keep doing her photography and doesn't make pushing out a baby every two years a big deal.  It would be great if they got to spend some time together before the first baby.

What the hell was Michelle wearing? I hope she's not preggers and that it's just her lousy fashion choices. Shriveled up little woman with a dead possum on her head..nothing to see here folks...move along...

Edited by Arwen Evenstar
  • Love 6

I noticed that Noelle was wearing an African inspired dress while the other Napier kids were wearing Western-style clothing.  In Kathryn Joyce's book, "The Child Catchers," she describes that other families would do this with their adopted children from Africa to gain attention at church functions to inspire other people to adopt.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Lastly, I'm convinced that Marcus is the smartest person in this entire family.  I loved how he walked around Jessa's house, like: "Yup, this is stupid.  This wall decoration?  Stupid.  This frame on the floor attached to entrails made of dust?  Really stupid.  This basket full of random crap?  You guessed it - stupid."

Hah! Spot on. Stupid is as stupid does. I do like Anna's darker hair though. It suits her much more than the blonder shade she had last season. 

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:29 PM, Sew Sumi said:

The Olympics ended on Sunday, so there was no conflict of that sort with the premiere of this show. 

What I meant was that for the prior 2 weeks I watched NBC et al almost exclusively and therefore saw no promos for shows on other channels. Being a Luddite when it comes to social media, I can't comment on what was on that.

• Love 1

TLC promoted the premiere through social media and its website with the preview videos. However, I really only know this because other people posted links here. Like you, I was in my Olympic Bubble for 16 days. 

• Love 2

TLC also changed the name so my DVR didn't catch it.  Only because I saw stuff here and knew the Duggars were in the media again did I know to look for it.  Even then, I missed the first run and had to catch one of that night's repeats to tape.

• Love 1

After finishing our first term in Central America with a sprint, my family and I have made it back safe and sound to American soil after being gone 12 of the past 13 months.  For the month of July and into August, I have had the privilege of working with an amazing group of people in leading our summer mission team in many aspects of ministry through 3 different countries. 

So much for Derek's math skillz... He should probably subtract all of the weeks he was safe and sound in America during those vacations..  Is he just so used to KJB and crew believing every single thing he says?  The rest of us out here in the real non-bubble world can add.  And I'm pretty sure Thou Shalt Not Lie is one of those pesky 10 commandments.   Derrick - if you're going to preach the word of God, you should try fully understanding and following it first.  You're welcome.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Kiss my mutt said:

Jon David saying he isn't dabbling in dating right now because he has too much going on is code for I'm just saying this because no one will have my ugly ass. 

That's a tad harsh IMO. Maybe you are lucky enough to live among supermodels, but where I come from, he's lower-to-middle-average-looking. 

Then again, maybe his problem is that he and his prospective mates aren't allowed access to alcohol!

• Love 8

So are Derick and Jill back for good or is this another one of those -- here for a month, Central America for a month things? Also where do they live when they're back -- do they have the mansion still? In that insta video that they posted congratulating Jessa and Ben -- that was made in the US right? Seemed like it from the background, furniture etc. So my question is -- why on earth is Derick sporting a greasy man bun now that he's back in the U.S. where he has access to running water - hot and cold - 24/7 and has access to a Hair Cuttery every few miles? I can see not bathing as much when he was living someplace with rolling water outages, but what is the excuse here??!

• Love 1

Derrick choosing to go to South America might have been a way for him to get away from his controlling in-laws. Ditto for his appearance. His in-laws can dictate how their daughters wear their hair but they can't say anything to him about his man-bun.  Personally I love the fact that he looks so grungy on TV, in contrast to Jim Bob and his helmet hair. Jim Bob and Michelle must be gritting their teeth every time they see him. 

I even think now that JD and Jana staying single is probably also an act of rebellion against Jim Bob, especially if he's been out trying to find them suitable mates. If neither of them is interested in what he has to offer, there isn't much he can do about it. 

• Love 14