Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: A Courtship Begins

• Start Topic

I couldn't believe Jill didn't wipe off Izzy's hands after he picked up the bug that had walked thru the bug spray.

Also why wasnt she pronouncing the Spanish version of the things  in the picture book? How easier for Izzy to learn? I guess cuz she didn't learn them herself.

They bought the girls Dinosaur coloring books? Thought anything dinosaur wasn't allowed.  I lIke how Ben has plenty of  time to fix his wife a leisurely breakfast before leaving for "work".

On a different note, I saw  Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen on Bravo.  This was a repeat- original episode aired in June.  He was so funny. He said that Jinger Duggar was engaged to Jeremy. First  he mispronounced Duggar & audience laughed at him.  He said that he doesn't know who she is & why is it a big deal she's engaged? But his main question was who names a kid Jinger with a J?

Edited by Barb23
Left off a line
  • Love 4

I'm pretty sure the courting timeline has been muddied just a bit, which is why we're seeing more physical contact between Jinger and Jeremy and the I Love You's.  Considering that the sisters were basically making winky faces at Jinger during the Spring episodes about courting and considering that we saw Jeremy in the background of a few scenes, I think it's much more likely that JinJer started courting shortly after their mission trip together.  All this stuff is reshoots to catch the audience up.  Jim Bob was not going to risk another failed courtship especially of a daughter.  The earliest Jessa could have known about the pregnancy is about the middle of May.  Season 3 would have already been planned at that point.

Edited by Saytura
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, CarolMK said:

I was catching up on old episodes of Counting On that I missed last fall due to my old job, and I remember seeing Jeremy in the grocery store shopping with Ben and Derrick for the baby shower. I wonder how long Ben and Jessa knew him and if Jinger had any interest in him at that time.

The scene of Jeremy asking Jim Bob to court was pretty silly, especially since Jeremy is a 28 year old man. I'll be willing to be he and Jinger don't save their first kiss for their wedding day.  Let's hope that they don't feel the need to bring it up either. 

Jill looks like she's ready to come home ASAP. No running water for 3 days with a baby in diapers and no a/c? Ugh, how would you even flush a toilet, let alone bathe ? 

I believe the First Kiss issue was mentioned in the US Weekly article. They're "saving themselves."

1 hour ago, Missy Vixen said:

IMHO.

The production staff is scripting/storyboarding the Duggars. In other words, they're given phrases that TLC's producers think makes the meaningless and boring BS featured on this show sound important as they're directed to do things for filming. The Duggars have such limited vocabularies (remember, they don't read) that they need a script. I'm sure they think spitting out the words "stage or season of life" means they're really thoughtful intellectuals.

The Duggars purpose to encourage their own lexicon through different seasons of life because they think they sound more loverful of the Lord.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Am finally watching this. Ha, I knew Jessa was pregnant. They dropped some hints last "season" but I forget what they were. 

What "steps" is Joshyouah doing to "do the right thing"? Making sure Anna has the key to his chastity belt each morning? Anna does not look joyful, no matter what she says. Poor thing. I hope it all works out so that she is happy. 

I think JD is perfectly nice looking. He also looks to have some drive and ambition. I hope he is getting what he wants out of life, aside from restricting the rights of any of his fellow Americans  

Jinger looks happy. I like the remark from Jana that Jinger always knows where her phone is now. I hope that means she has private phone calls whenever she likes. 

Jessa wasn't pregnant when they filmed the first season. Depending when in May they filmed the baby proofing crap, she was either not pregnant or just knocked up and didn't know it. 

Also, someone on FJ recognized the blurred out purple box in Jessa's bottom drawer as a brand of ovulation tracker. So much for adoption.

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Also, someone on FJ recognized the blurred out purple box in Jessa's bottom drawer as a brand of ovulation tracker. So much for adoption.

I was wondering what that was! Wow, so much for leaving it up to God. Well, at least Spurgeon got attention for a little while. I think Michelle checked out around kid #7, we'll see how long Jessa lasts before she's dumping her brood off at the TTH for Jana to watch.

• Love 2

Just curious, how exactly does this ovulation tracker work? I'm kid free (knock on wood) and Satan built a fortress in my vagina so I've been on birth control pills forever and plan on staying that way until menopause so I have no clue how one would go about trying to get pregnant. 

Also, this revelation makes Jessa's comment about being "so surprised" at being pregnant even more eye rolling. Poor Ben, I thought at least he was getting frequent sex out of being with Jessa but now he probably just gets it when she's ovulating. What a sad life. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, fuzzylollipop said:

Just curious, how exactly does this ovulation tracker work? I'm kid free (knock on wood) and Satan built a fortress in my vagina so I've been on birth control pills forever and plan on staying that way until menopause so I have no clue how one would go about trying to get pregnant. 

I, too, have a uterus entombed in Satan's fortress, so I'm not entirely sure. Based on what I have learned from 19 Kids and Counting, however, I believe Jessa keeps some sort of chart on the fridge for Spurgie to track. Maybe the purple box thing is something he uses to make his calculations.

• Love 9
47 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Oh, an ovulation tracker. Whew!  I thought maybe it was her vibrator.

I was really hoping.

Is there another seat in the Prayer Closet? I'll bring beer. 

19 minutes ago, Aja said:

I, too, have a uterus entombed in Satan's fortress, so I'm not entirely sure. Based on what I have learned from 19 Kids and Counting, however, I believe Jessa keeps some sort of chart on the fridge for Spurgie to track. Maybe the purple box thing is something he uses to make his calculations.

Do we get matching t-shirts? Is there a secret handshake?

This must be an advanced homeskooling lesson: Tracking Mommy's Ovulation Schedule, or How'd You Like A New Buddy?

• Love 9

Somehow, I don't get the impression that John David never wants to marry, I just think that he has zero interest in broadcasting it to the world. Same for Jana. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that TLC will ever give up on this family, so like it or not, both of them would have to go along with the dog and pony show if either of them gets engaged. It doesn't seem right, but that's the way it's going to be. 

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, CarolMK said:

Somehow, I don't get the impression that John David never wants to marry, I just think that he has zero interest in broadcasting it to the world. Same for Jana. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that TLC will ever give up on this family, so like it or not, both of them would have to go along with the dog and pony show if either of them gets engaged. It doesn't seem right, but that's the way it's going to be. 

I agree. They both seem like they'd be perfectly fine with small, no-fuss weddings and a life away from the TLC spotlight. I can't see them wanting to have a public courtship complete with cheesy re-enacted scenes and chaperoned dates. As it stands now, I think a large part of the problem is their dating circle is too narrow and limited. If they expanded a bit to include mainstream and Conservative Christians, it might help their odds.

• Love 1

Although if JD does want to marry -- he's the guy and doesn't need his daddy's approval like Jana would. So can't he sit down with Zach Bates and learn what to talk to girls about; maybe even go out with him in their rural Tenn. area and have him practice talking to girls at various commercial establishments and maybe friends of Zach's wife or whoever. I imagine that in a month or 2 that leads to a girlfriend. Lots of people in those rural areas may not be fundie but they ARE very religious, so they do want short dating spans, no sex until the wedding night etc. I could totally see him finding a girl who is ok dating for 3 months and then he could propose and do a quick, small wedding mostly thrown by her family since that is the bride's family's responsibility and his loud boorish family would just be guests. Is it really so hard to get all this done during a break in filming and then when TLC/JB come back around and say -- ok son we need you to act like you just met her, reenact your courtship, get engaged on camera etc. -- just freaking say NO. JD is one of the few who COULD BE self supporting -- doesn't matter if JB takes away the TLC money. He owns a house that he could sell; he's been a volunteer constable and could potentially go to the police academy like Zach did bc I think he does have a GED; he has a pilots license so maybe he could work for some small airline or even in an airport; he could easily get a job working construction - tons of demand down south and they tend not to look for formal education or training, just hard workers and these days - English speakers; he has a CDL and could drive for a trucking company -- also in high demand right now.

These kids have no self esteem probably bc they've been raised in an environment where they've been told that JB and Michelle and the king and queen and they are the peons. But I wish JD would realize he does have options -- bc he doesn't need JBs money he has more freedom than Jana and he should go ahead and try to find a girl bc he'll be able to support her without the TLC BS.

• Love 9
18 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Ratings:  1.194 M viewers and a .35 rating.  They are not off to a very good start for a new season. 

What would be considered a good start? I'm a little clueless without a comparison.

21 hours ago, MarysWetBar said:

We used sealer rings!  And sure didn't put them on every cupboard!  My mom moved her Tupperware and pot lids to a lower cupboard once my boys were that age, and that was their cupboard. She would laugh watching them crawling in and out with their treasures and bang the lids together. My brother and i would side eye it all and wonder who replaced our strict mom with this laughing lunatic! Haha

I had to put baby locks on all my cabinets.  I have cats.  Those little buggars can STILL get in them.  I suspect they have a higher IQ in their little paws than the whole kit and kaboodle of Duggars.

I am seriously laughing at the idea of Ben being locked out of his house because of baby locks.  I can see it.

• Love 8

JD may be a volunteer constable, but in my opinion, he is not law enforcement material especially after watching the one embarrassing episode where JB went on a ride along with him. In fact, I am racking my brain trying to figure out the quality of the law enforcement department he is associated with because no agency would allowed a volunteer constable to let his father and a TLC film crew ride with him in order to prove his son is a great catch. I also wonder about the one Bate son and how well he does by himself out in the real world while on patrol. Sadly, some agencies are desperate enough to hire a Duggar and/or a Bates because a lack of really good quality candidates. I could imagine the look on the police chief and the officer who runs the volunteer program faces if I ask to take the volunteer vehicle out with my father and a film crew in tow in order to prove I am a great catch and to shut people up because they doubt I am my own person. I would be laughed out of the office or ask if I have been drinking or doing drugs.

Plus the fact his daddy owns the planes he flies and probably is only allowed to fly certain people around. Does he really own the one house or does daddy really own it? He is in law enforcement and construction work because these are two jobs Gothard and daddy approve of. I think he sees what has happen to Josh and looks at the Binster, and Derelick, and now the Jerster, and he may have decided the married and family life is not for him. In fact, I would not be surprise if Jana is thinking the same thing when she looks at Anna and Jill, Jessa and Jinger.

29 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Ratings:  1.194 M viewers and a .35 rating.  They are not off to a very good start for a new season. 

Woah. Those numbers are worse than most of the episodes last season. The premiere that time drew close to 2 million, IIRC, but tailed off sharply in following weeks, bottoming out around the numbers we see now. Most episodes were around the 1.3 million mark. 

It's telling that they can't draw a bigger number when a courtship is being announced. Maybe even the leghumpers have courtship fatigue?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

What would be considered a good start? I'm a little clueless without a comparison.

These ratings are pretty low.  I went back to see the ratings from last season and the first episode was at 1.9 million viewers and slid down from there.  The middling episodes were 1.3ish million and then the last episode was 1.165. 19 Kids and Counting had ratings around 2 million during the Jill/Jessa courtship and marriage seasons. There were a few episodes of 19 Kids that hit 3 million.  

I'm surprised that the premiere was that low.  The Duggars brought out the big guns too. Joshgates must of turned off more fans than TLC expected and then people interested in the Josh drama may have gotten tired of it or thought it was too boring to handle.  

Edited by birkenstock
  • Love 1

@birkenstock  Thanks for confirming what I was going on relying on memory. It's an inauspicious beginning; I wonder if even Jinger's wedding (should be the 10th episode on 10/25) will save the show. I figured TLC would "fast track" the wedding episode, just like JinJer are "fast tracking their relationship, but with these numbers, I'm pretty certain that TLC is getting all the Jill and Jessa wedding footage ready for 110 minutes of filler vs. 10 minutes of heavily edited wedding footage of Jinger at the end. 

They're out by Sweeps, for sure, due to lack of advistertisers. They only have three major ones that aired and those were probably bulk buys, with no control over which shows their ads air. Other than that, TLC promos, movie promos, and local ads filled the rest of the space. 

Not good for a primetime show. 

• Love 2

Well, it is August, and half of my city is at the beach.  Who starts a new TV series in the middle of August? I guess in some places school has already started, but I don't think that goes for most of the country.  They may do better ratings wise after Labor Day.

• Love 1

@Sew Sumi you have a great memory! Yeah, they'll be out before sweeps. I really thought the show would premiere in the 1.5 million range. I could see the ratings go into the low 900,000s by mid-season.   

I agree that the wedding will just be recap and maybe a wacky prep scene with 10 minutes of the real wedding.  How many more times do we have to have a Jill/Jessa fest?  I don't need to hear Jill and Derick's engagement song again, it was cheesy enough the first time. It'll save the show from having to tape more of JinJer, but even the ride or die fans complain that the show is mostly filler now. I could see backlash saying that Jinger isn't getting her moment in the sun.   The show might survive if the network would show real content - introduce Jeremy and tell us how they met.  Have more about Jinger and her personality.  I know she's not the most charismatic person, but focusing on Jinger would be much better than unnecessary baby proofing scenes.       

• Love 3

It's cost vs ratings.  Each show will have different production costs and goodness knows what revenue Counting On is bringing in.  Generally when the revenue drops too close to the cost of production the show is ended.  For TLC and newer shows that number used to hover in the 750 to 800K range.  If an older show was consistently around 900K, it was usually gone.  Older shows are usually more expensive to produce.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

Well, it is August, and half of my city is at the beach.  Who starts a new TV series in the middle of August? I guess in some places school has already started, but I don't think that goes for most of the country.  They may do better ratings wise after Labor Day.

Schools around here (from elementary to University) started this week. For the local school system, this is the earliest start ever, and we don't have the excuse of making up snow days. Kids will be out by Memorial Day, rather than mid-June, which has always been the norm. 

Not that my city would be giving the Duggars any kind of ratings bump. I live in the part of Commiefornia that gives the state its (probably Fox-given) nickname. :D

I follow some leghumpers' Instagrams, and they all talked about how they stared school this week. It's sobering to remember how young their core fanbase is. 

6 minutes ago, Absolom said:

It's cost vs ratings.  Each show will have different production costs and goodness knows what revenue Counting On is bringing in.  Generally when the revenue drops too close to the cost of production the show is ended.  For TLC and newer shows that number used to hover in the 750 to 800K range.  If an older show was consistently around 900K, it was usually gone.  Older shows are usually more expensive to produce.

Yes, the "talent" gets more expensive as the seasons roll along. I would also think ad revenue is also a HUGE factor. TLC carried the first season of Counting On. Things don't look that much better this season. I do wonder what TLC's breaking point for this logjam will be. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3

Ad revenue normally is basically ratings driven which is why I didn't state it up front, but then mentioned a bit later on.  This one is an odd duck because the revenue is much more mysterious given their lack of normal ads. 

• Love 2

Yes, "gringo" is a derogatory term when spoken by a Latino.

Not necessarily. It certainly *can* be, the way someone could call someone "a black" or something similar, but it really just means a non-Hispanic. I'm not saying Jill using it made sense, but it's not always an insult.

You can flush the toilet by dumping more water into the bowl.  However, that assumes you have a stash of water on hand.  I'm guessing, if they did, they would rather use it for drinking and bathing.  I'm guessing they went out to squat in the bushes when the water went out. 

When visiting my in-laws in Mexico, there was a day that their running water stopped, well, running. They went to the corner store and bought a few large water jugs (think the kind you'd put into a water cooler at the office) and we used those. No idea how large of a town Jill and Derick live in, but if there is a Walmart close enough to their house for them to shop at, I'd guess they could pick up a few jugs of water for other use.

Edited by rubinia
  • Love 2

Re: "gringo." I shouldn't have been so one-sided. I know/teach/work with/have Latinos in my family. I will accede that "gringo/a" can be said with affection or even love, but there has to be a relationship there. But for the most part, it is used within the culture in a derogatory manner. I understand enough Spanish to know when I've been referred to it negatively (and I changed some minds). My half-sisters are half-Mexican, and I am the "gringa" sister, said in jest. 

That said, IME, Jill was using it as a local who didn't like the invasion of Norte Americanos would. She likely heard it said in the negative manner early and often. I also imagine that this is one of the first words they learn in the SOS training book. 

• Love 3

Joy Anna looked like she was going to cry when Jinger came back into the house to announce the courtship. Like she was sad it wasn't her, or sad that there's only one stay at home daughter left (besides her) to shoulder the burden of caring for the rest of the family.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

Joy Anna looked like she was going to cry when Jinger came back into the house to announce the courtship. Like she was sad it wasn't her, or sad that there's only one stay at home daughter left (besides her) to shoulder the burden of caring for the rest of the family.

Probably because she knows she's the next Duggar daughter to be sold out (oops, I meant given away) by her schmuck of a father.

• Love 5

Counting On is the only TLC show that cracked the top 50 of Tuesday cable programming. 1.2 million viewers and 0.3 of the 18-49 audience was TLC's best performance of the day. It'll probably be their best performing show for the week. 

• Love 2

Here are some comparisons vs. the other TLC summer premieres.  TLC keeps dropping, but then overall so does most of the rest of the industry. 

1. Return to Amish 1.64 (Million)
2. Little People, Big World 1.24
3. Sister Wives 1.17
4. I am Jazz 1.11
5. My Big Fat Fabulous Life 1.09
6. My Giant Life 1.01
7. 90 Day Fiancé .84
8. Too Close to Home .78
9. Skin Tight .74
10. Toddlers & Tiaras .68
11. My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding .58
12. Love at First Kiss.51

Adults 18-49:

1. Return to Amish .44
2. I am Jazz .36
3. 90 Day Fiancé .34
4. My Big Fat Fabulous Life .34
5. Sister Wives .33
6. Little People, Big World .29
7. My Giant Life .28
8. Too Close to Home .23
9. Skin Tight .23
10. Toddlers & Tiaras .22
11. My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding .21
12. Love at First Kiss .18

Adults 18-34:

1. I Am Jazz .35
2. 90 Day Fiance .33
3. My Big Fat Fabulous Life .30
4. Return to Amish .29
5. Too Close to Home .22
6. Little People, Big World .20
7. Sister Wives .20
8. Toddlers & Tiaras .19
9. My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding .18
10. My Giant Life .18
11. Love at First Kiss .15
12. Skin Tight .15

Women 12-34:

1. I Am Jazz .53
2. My Big Fat Fabulous Life .45
3. 90 Day Fiancé .43
4. Return to Amish .43
5. Toddlers & Tiaras: .31
6. Too Close to Home .26
7. Skin Tight .25
8. Little People, Big World .25
9. Sister Wives .25
10. My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding .24
11. My Giant Life .24
12. Love at First Kiss .21

• Love 3

If it's the best premiere of the summer, then Counting On isn't going anywhere. I think TLC will have a very hard time ending these long-running series. I can't believe Little People, Big World is still on (over 10 years) with the parents divorced, one son refusing to appear, etc. It's the same with Kate Gosselin, she manages to get a short lived series at least once a year and I haven't ever read a single positive review. Sister Wives is probably the same. The Duggars have managed to be on TLC since 2004-2005, I don't think the show is going anywhere until after Josie gets married. It's going to be really weird by then, having some of the adult children approaching 40 and still living with their parents and sharing bedrooms with their siblings. I also see that Jessa might very want to compete with her mom in having 19-20 kids as well, whether by giving birth or by adoption. She'll be the star of the show by then.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

I suspect that most of the country, like me, was watching the Olympics on NBC for the last 2 weeks. I know all about their fall shows, that's for sure.  I only knew this one had started up again because I come here.

• Love 1

I think the show could continue for years if the Duggars addressed how dysfunctional their family is. What was it really like being one of 19 kids and having narcissists for parents? What do they remember of their pre-TLC life? How did Josh's cheating impact the way they viewed gothard-approved courtship and marriage? How is Anna really doing? 

The last season was Josh-heavy and they expressed their disappointment in him, but it was more about how God was guiding the family and giving them strength through the turmoil.  There was so much unsaid that could have made for interesting tv rather than watching them build a tree mansion and harass Jana about whether she's courting. If they don't want to show depth then just show daily life without the bs scenes and recapping what happened five minutes prior.

The Duggars don't want to reveal or discuss how messy their lives really are. That separates them from Kate Gosselin and the Brown family. They still want to be moral authorities and be a "godly" influence on America.  Viewing it as a ministry and their inability to be introspective or at least honest really limits the audience.

The repetition is what will really bothers me. Do they think we can't keep up with their fast paced lives? I saw an extended preview for next week. They take time to explain what a courtship is, the physical limits they set, and weasal in a flashback of Jessa and Ben's closet courtship proposal. Why? The audience knows what courtship is.  It turned into a lesson on saving yourself for marriage, which is their prerogative. They're just not a family that I would ever take advice from. 

I don't know why I keep watching. 

• Love 7
14 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I was surpried by the exchange of "I love you" between Jeremy and Jinger. 

Wonder if that's more of the family and producers trying to make the Duggs look more normal and mainstream. .... Like those dance numbers the kidults have been doing in promos for Counting 5 6 7 8.

13 hours ago, birkenstock said:

These ratings are pretty low.  I went back to see the ratings from last season and the first episode was at 1.9 million viewers and slid down from there.  The middling episodes were 1.3ish million and then the last episode was 1.165. 19 Kids and Counting had ratings around 2 million during the Jill/Jessa courtship and marriage seasons. There were a few episodes of 19 Kids that hit 3 million.  

I'm surprised that the premiere was that low.  The Duggars brought out the big guns too. Joshgates must of turned off more fans than TLC expected and then people interested in the Josh drama may have gotten tired of it or thought it was too boring to handle.  

Now, are you really really surprised? Because, really, even the almost-impossible-to-bore can become bored eventually by something as boring as these people....And, thank goodness, maybe they finally have.

• Love 3

I'm glad the NayBEERS put Ethne in and Ankara print dress.  I wouldn't have know one of these kids is not the same.

Just a tip...black kids wear clothes from a Children's Place as well.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 15
22 hours ago, fuzzylollipop said:

I got such a sad vibe from JD in this episode, he seems to have given up on romance. I'm sure Josh tainted the Duggar boy name in their already limited "courting potential" circle. He also seems to have lost quite a bit of weight, he just didn't seem as unfortunate looking as I've seen him look in the past. I think I'm getting soft because I can't snark on him...Or maybe it's because when he was doing his talking head he looked down and up and gave this quick, shy, sad glance to the camera that I've seen Jana do a million times in her talking heads and it kind of broke my heart. Makes me wonder what course all their lives would have taken if they would have grown up without the camera. Jana and JD particularly seem to be the working horses of the family. 

No words on Jessa. Her house was disgusting and had more knick knacks than my 90 year old grandma's. I dry heaved when Marcus lifted that picture frame from the floor with that record sized dust bunny. Your baby is crawling and this is how you keep your floors? Hopefully Spurge hasn't inherited daddy's allergies. Also, what is the point of all those pictures and random crap on the floor?! That seems like a cleaning and functional nightmare. I can't imagine having to get up in the middle of the night to pee and have to go through that obstacle course of Pinterest crap. Speaking of Pinterest, I want to add them to my minimalist decor board on there because, you know, sometimes less is more. 

I have a weird soft spot for JD too. I think it's that he sort of looks like a cousin of mine (in that gangly tall sort of way) who is legitimately a law enforcement officer. My cousin worked his way up (and studied criminal justice in college) and spent a lot of time in the trenches before working his way to a true LEO position. I think JD could have done something similar if he'd been allowed a real education...he seems like a guy who truly wishes he could have a real career, instead of just being a Duggar. But that would interfere with JB's needs, and that's not allowed. 

19 hours ago, fuzzylollipop said:

Also, this revelation makes Jessa's comment about being "so surprised" at being pregnant even more eye rolling. Poor Ben, I thought at least he was getting frequent sex out of being with Jessa but now he probably just gets it when she's ovulating. What a sad life. 

Ovulation trackers typically take your temperature to determine roughly when you're ovulating. There's also pee strips that check your hormone levels. They can be accurate, though there's a bit of wiggle room in there and some arguments that they're not as good as blood testing (which is what's used if you go through fertility treatments). 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Wonder if that's more of the family and producers trying to make the Duggs look more normal and mainstream. .... Like those dance numbers the kidults have been doing in promos for Counting 5 6 7 8.

Now, are you really really surprised? Because, really, even the almost-impossible-to-bore can become bored eventually by something as boring as these people....And, thank goodness, maybe they finally have.

The lack of interest in Jinger's courtship surprised me. The Duggars are legitimately boring people, well what they're willing to talk about and film is boring. Those numbers are on the high end for the quality of programming. 

Based on the numbers all last season without a courtship, I thought that the premiere would be higher.  There were more Duggar scandal bottleneckers than I thought (and yay for that).  I think the network thought they could do a season of Duggars in crisis and then move on.  

I'm glad that the numbers are down because having Jim Bob and Michelle return like nothing happened is revolting. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

I finally watched.  The headship ended up working last night.  I cannot believe I spent almost 2 hours watching this between both shows.  Here is my take:

Your entire post made me LOL.  Tell your headship that I appreciate his sacrifice so that you could bring the laughs.  Now I'm going to have to watch this stupid show for myself just to see what everyone's talking about.

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I suspect that most of the country, like me, was watching the Olympics on NBC for the last 2 weeks. I know all about their fall shows, that's for sure.  I only knew this one had started up again because I come here.

The Olympics ended on Sunday, so there was no conflict of that sort with the premiere of this show.