Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: A Courtship Begins

• Start Topic

I forget, are we allowed to talk about the show while it is on or are we supposed to wait until it is over?  

Of course, it is so boring there is not much to say.  Ugh, except Anna saying that Josh is back and her usual working, rebuilding, blah, blah.

Edited by auntieminem
  • Love 2

Zzzzzzz, baby proofing the house.zzzzzzzz watching boys park trucks, zzzzzz season of life zzzzzz fake babysitting. Wake up fast and look at Anna, she looks pregnant.

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 9

Snooze fest.

Could Jill be any unhappier in Central America? While Derick seems ok with the spartan living conditions and his gross greasy hair/man bun, Jill DOES NOT. I mean she was really having to make an effort to say -- we can't wait to go home, but this is where God has us [stuck] right now . . . .

Jeremy really is far less attractive than most 2nd gen Italian guys that age with far less personality (I would know having grown up with dozens of them in the Philadelphia area) . He's either douchey or is trying HARD to put on a show as he sweetly whispers to her about praying for a woman who loves the Gospel etc . . . .I love how Jinger and Ben both spun it as -- he has a REALLY cool background, he gave up soccer to the minstery. Um -- I'm not sure if it's called giving up if your team goes bankrupt and you can't get on another one.

It'll be interesting to see more of Anna. She did ok this episode about the whole -- we're working on our marriage, I'm sooo encouraged blah blah blah. But I imagine as the season goes on and she's asked for the 10 millionth time, we'll see cracks in the façade like we did last season.

• Love 14

They seem to have a lot more advertisers than they did last season.

I wish Jessa would stop saying, “with 19 children, my parents had to do this or that.”  She makes it seem as though they had 19 small children all at the same time.  By the time the last four came along, the first five were in their mid to late teens.  Heck, Josh is 21 years older than Josie. 

I wish the media would stop treating a Duggar getting pregnant as “News”.  It’s what they do.  That is their claim to fame. 

• Love 18

And could he have walked in with a smaller flower arrangement?? And in the previews we see him walking in with another mini one later. Doesn't matter if it's a coffee cup or not -- nothing says washed up athlete with a small/no paycheck than that size of arrangement.

• Love 7

Ok the whole babysitting thing is stupid, Jessa grew up with like 15 younger siblings she knows damn well what they could reach. Its dumb

I think Anna is knocked up, she was really thin last season and you can see poorly hidden bump (IMO) Or maybe she ate a big lunch. She did seem to be holding it together a lot better this episode. 

Also- TLC- Im ok watching Anna but can you STFU about Josh!!!! I don't care what he is up to. he sucks

Edit- also hearing about the water outages makes a LOT of sense for how Jill and Derrick have been looking. Jill is a trooper. I would not be able to hang with no water and dealing with diapers, even if I was on a missioncation. LOL

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 9
12 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

Zzzzzzz, baby proofing the house.zzzzzzzz watching boys park trucks, zzzzzz season of life. Wake up fast and look at Anna, she looks pregnant.

Yeah, Anna had gotten so thin and now she looks a little thick around the middle.  I am hoping it was just too many layers or she is joining Josh on his food binging. 

• Love 2

Looking at the advertiser lists on FJ, the only three major advertisers that stick out to me (aside from the movie promos) are Taco Bell, Dell, and Disney. The rest seemed to be local ad buys from whatever region the poster came from (there was one in Canada and one in Arizona). 

I will add snark later when I can see the shitshow for myself. I picked the wrong day to have food poisoning; this isn't going to help me any. 

Also, if they're showing the engagement NEXT WEEK, does this mean we get the wedding as the finale? I read 10 episodes, which would be on 10/25, just missing November Sweeps (and with the poor advertising, no surprise there). That means the JinJer nuptials can't be after 10/15 (a Saturday) in order for TLC to cobble together an episode consisting of a couple segments of Jinger's wedding preceded by almost 2 hours of Jessa and Jill flashbacks. 

• Love 1

Omg I just cannot deal with Jeremy. Seriously. Jing. Ugh. Vom. Hes def a preacher. UUGHGHHGHG

I hope he doesnt talk like that all the time. Seriously. All the puppy dog looks. At least Jinj looks happy

Edit- he called her "Jinj" (like "Ginger" with no "er") like 4 times. I bet he will say that when they are getting down. Lol sorry but thats the first thing I thought of when he said it a bunch of times.

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Looking at the advertiser lists on FJ, the only three major advertisers that stick out to me (aside from the movie promos) are Taco Bell, Dell, and Disney. The rest seemed to be local ad buys from whatever region the poster came from (there was one in Canada and one in Arizona). 

I will add snark later when I can see the shitshow for myself. I picked the wrong day to have food poisoning; this isn't going to help me any. 

Disney?  Really?  Nothing says family like a group that covered for a child molester.

Of all the sponsors, I never could have imagined Disney would have touched this show with a ten foot pole.  Even if they gave the advertising away.

• Love 20

Some companies replied back that they are part of bundle buys and have no control on which shows their ads air. This could be the case here, especially with Disney being so fucking huge. 

Taco Bell? Smuggar probably begged for that one. :D

• Love 4

I notice the woman in the dollar store (?) where they bought the baby-proofing kit wore jeans. Also, the woman coming over with her kids to be babysat wore a sleeveless shirt and jeans. Does this mean the Duggar women are l-l-l-loosening their strict criteria for whom they will associate?

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, SuzyLee said:

Another snoozefest has begun!  My most boring day doesn't begin to be as dull as some of these episodes.  Between the baby-proofing, babysitting someone's kids, going shopping, and cooking dinner, I'm honestly starting to nod off about halfway through, partly because it reminds me too much of my own (TV show-less) life.  One somewhat compelling little tidbit was the fact that Jill looks extremely unhappy with her current living situation.  I can't say I blame her, but I was surprised to hear her admit it so freely and honestly.  That's not exactly the female Duggar way, unless, of course, you're Michelle, in which case you don't have to do a goddamn thing anyway.  As much as I would hate living in an environment with a shaky water/power situation and the bugs and scorpions (my God, the bugs and scorpions), I was a bit dismayed to hear Jill say that the fact that Israel is a "gringo" makes her feel like she has to confine herself to her house.  Um, aren't you referring to yourself as a missionary, hon?  Maybe the women in the town benefit somehow from visiting her at her house, but you can't really wear that honorable label by hiding in your house and not purposely and purposefully mixing with the people around you.  What a joke.  She and Derick cheapen the incredible, selfless work that actual missionaries do.

I felt great sympathy for Anna when everything happened last year with her child molesting pig of a husband.  I also fell ass-backwards into a bad marital situation early in my adult life.  I understand naïveté, innocence and desperation very well, but my sympathy runs pretty damn thin when she launches into her chipper mini-lectures about how great things are now that they're "rebuilding trust," not to mention the "walking this new journey" bullshit.  You made your bed, sister.  Enjoy.

As for Jinger's "plot" this season, I had to keep reminding myself as I watched this episode:

"Jinger is a grown-ass woman in her 20's.  Jinger is a grown-ass woman in her 20's.  Jinger is a grown-ass woman in her 20's."

I mean, the whole Ask Daddy Duggar's Permission to Court was almost cute in the beginning when the girls were younger.  Almost.  It's just creepy now, particularly after the great Duggar downfall of last year.  Jim Bob comes off even worse than he did before last year's drama.  I'm sorry, it's just effing weird for a 28-year-old adult man to sit down with another adult's father to ask permission, not to marry her, but to merely "get to know her better."  I haven't commented much about Jeremy, but I will say that I do not get a good vibe from him at all.  He gives off a very phony car salesman-ish vibe.  Jinger talks about him the same way I did about my first boyfriends- when I was 14.  She has absolutely no experience with men (or even boys!).  I don't like the way she talks about him like she's honored or shocked that he even looks in her direction.  Not a great precedent to set, in my opinion.  She's a beautiful young woman and should be living a life of freedom and fun and work, figuring out what she wants, not squirming out from under Mommy and Daddy's thumb into the arms of some man as fast as she can.  Ugh, I could watch this show for the next 10 years and still never make sense of it. 

I think you've made sense of it.

• Love 8

Since last season I think Jessa and Jinj have taken a Clown College correspondence course in acting.  So perky!

ETA:  Jeremy creeps me out on film a lot more than he did in still photos.  The life Jinj ends up with in Laredo just might be as crappy as Jill's in Danger America.

Edited by riverblue22
slow thinking
  • Love 1

All I got from this episode is that Anna looks pregnant and Jill is miserable. 

I like how tlc no longer tries to keep pregnancies and courtships hidden. We all know that's all they do anyway. 

Also, was SPURGEON sitting on the floor while the rest of them ate? Couldn't they have stuck him in a high chair?

Edited by what
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, SuzyLee said:

I understand naïveté, innocence and desperation very well, but my sympathy runs pretty damn thin when she launches into her chipper mini-lectures about how great things are now that they're "rebuilding trust," not to mention the "walking this new journey" bullshit.  You made your bed, sister.  Enjoy.

There is no "trust" with a man who's already shown he can't be trusted.

Your recap was a thing of beauty. ;-)

• Love 12

During the babyproofing, Jessa said that Spud was 6 months, which would be early May, ie. just before she got knocked up. I saw elsewhere that she found out she was knocked up when he was 7.5 months, which was basically 2 months ago, or late June. So, I posit that she was knocked up on Ben's birthday, which is mid-May. Just putting that one out there as far as timing for this "plot" goes. 

I also saw that apparently there was a People article that stated that the JinJer courtship began in May. So, a one month courtship? Really????? Maybe almost two if the courtship began in early May. Still...

eta: Anna? Looks like her food babies from the past. I think she's been partaking in some of the Joshley Junk Food binges. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 1

This show is boring as shit and the family is a fucking nightmare, but I'm not gonna lie, I think love looks good on Jinger.

Ben: She's got a condition.

John David: she's not on the same planet as most of us here. Lol!

I've never seen someone's looks change as drastically and as quickly as Derick's.

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 6

SuzyLee, huge slow clap for your entire post.

As usual, this episode was a snoozefest. I mean really, baby proofing isn't some complicated endeavour that requires months of planning and a team of NASA scientists. I can't tell if Anna's pregnant or if she's given up shapewear.

Jill making no bones about hating life in Danger America was surprising, especially for a woman who's been browbeaten to keep sweet since birth.

Jeremy is a creeper. I do not like him AT ALL. And ffs, you cheap bastard, buy a decent bouquet of flowers. That crap he gave Jinger looked like one of those arrangements they give six year-old flower girls to walk down the aisle with at weddings.

Spurge and Izzy are cute, that's the only thing nice I have to say.

• Love 5

I finally got the stupid flowers tonight after seeing stills of the preview a zillion times. It's Jinger. And COFFEE! Duh. 

I see that they also recycled Josie's fake pigtails on Mere. My god. 

And Jessa, way to be sexist when saying that if she was babysitting boys it wouldn't have been so calm. Kids are kids, honey. Some are calm, some are rowdy. Gender has nothing to do with it. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 9

Okay, I couldn't tell if that montage with the Survival Camp, Joy flying, and the engagement is all next week? I only ask because right at the BEGINNING, they had a "This Season on Counting On" montage. I'm not feeling so hot, so I may be over/under-thinking this. 

A medium sized bouquet of even the cheapest flowers at the local grocery store is going to be at least $20-30 I would think as a medium bouquet from a florist can easily be $50+. He's a washed up soccer "star" turned minister so he's not going to blow cash. Not to mention he didn't have the flowers at the airport and it didn't looked like he rented a car, so that means after his coffee date with JB, he probably asked the cheapskate himself to stop someplace for flowers and even if he wanted to spend a bit more - I'm sure JB assured him that $8.99 was more than enough. Plus it's not like he's trying to get with a girl who has past boyfriends or even friends who'd have some basis of comparison re what is a nice gift from a boyfriend and what's cheap. Frankly she's happy anyone's paying attention to her at all and would have gushed if he had brought her dandelions he picked from their front yard.

• Love 8

What was with the swirling gushing pool of water about to overtake "Jing" and Jeremy as they sat on the porch talking?  Does the Tinker Toy House not have any Tinker Toy gutters?

And did I see Jill allow Izzy to pick up some kind of insect by the doorway and carry it to the trash can?  They had just shown how she had to lacquer the area with insecticide to keep the tarantulas and scorpions and who knows what else out.  So the kid not only picked up a bug but picked up one that had just crawled through a toxic maze of chemicals and she didnt even pretend to try and wash that kid's hands afterwards.  

Was this a day they had no water or something?  You'd think she'd at least clean his hands off with a baby wipe or something.  Or have I just become an incredibly picky old bag over here who is too concerned with small points about how other people look after their kids?

• Love 15

@Celia Rubenstein, I was practically shouting at the the TV screen to wash Izzy's hands, knowing that he had just picked up an insecticide covered bug. I am not at all fussy or a germaphobe, but that horrified me. I am practically sure that those same fingers found his mouth in a very short time. Yikes!

• Love 12
6 hours ago, cereality said:

Frankly she's happy anyone's paying attention to her at all and would have gushed if he had brought her dandelions he picked from their front yard.

Or, for that matter, if he'd told her that he'd like to give her some flowers so she should go out and pick a couple dandelions for herself.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

If Jessa was taken out of the episode it wouldn't have been that bad. The baby-proofing was a big FU & she needs to stop with the adoption talk.

Jinger looks happy and they seem to have real chemistry. Call me a sap, but I thought the coffee cup flowers were sweet. At least she'll have the cup when the flowers die.

And really not much of the Littles in this episode. I'd rather watch them then Jessa.

• Love 5

I had to pause the episode to come here to ask a question, so my apologies if this has been discussed already.  Is there a reason Spurg is always on the ground in that stupid seat?  They don't have a high chair or infant booster seat so he can eat with them instead of by himself on the flippin floor??? 

• Love 6

Ben needs to take an English course from whatever "college" he is attending online.  He always substitutes "whenever" for "when"  

Last night's example --  "That's kinda the stage of life he was at whenever we first met him"   What the hell is that?  And why is everything either the stage or season of life?  Who talks like that?

• Love 13

Another thing that is bugging the shit out of me.  Why do these girls insist upon staring adoringly at their man when they are speaking?  They look idiotic.  If I stared at my husband like that when he spoke, he would ask me what the hell is wrong with me and to knock it off because it's creepy. 

*sorry for multiple posts...I'm on a roll as I watch this stupid shitshow.

• Love 18

I rather enjoyed Josiah's jaunty little walk as he left his big truck driving session.  You be yourself Josiah!

I felt annoyance at JD saying he was too busy for romance.  Couldn't he.find a nice girl at the local Baptist church?

ALL the girls were orange with fake tan.

Michelle looks pregnant, complete with maternity wear.  I know we've seen photos of her much slimmer since Josh scandals.

30 minutes ago, louannems said:

I felt annoyance at JD saying he was too busy for romance. 

I don't know. I kinda find it heartbreaking. He's given up and now he's trying to rationalize it for himself so he can keep sweet for Jesus as he faces the prospect of a long, lonely life attached to Jizm Bob's puppet strings. Poor slob.

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I don't know. I kinda find it heartbreaking. He's given up and now he's trying to rationalize it for himself so he can keep sweet for Jesus as he faces the prospect of a long, lonely life attached to Jizm Bob's puppet strings. Poor slob.

He seems depressed. I'm holding out hope that he has a secret girlfriend/relationship that he just doesn't feel like broadcasting to the world. He seems like a nice enough guy, some woman would be interested, right? 

Derrick sure LOVES Central America. He seems happy as a clam. I bet he'd like to stay forever. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, tabloidlover said:

Ben needs to take an English course from whatever "college" he is attending online.  He always substitutes "whenever" for "when"  

Last night's example --  "That's kinda the stage of life he was at whenever we first met him"   What the hell is that?  And why is everything either the stage or season of life?  Who talks like that?

A girl I work with says whenever instead of when and it is the strangest thing to me.  I can't hear anything she says bc I'm always waiting for her next 'whenever.'  She's from the Midwest.  Is that a thing there, maybe?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

I felt bad for him as well. It definitely sounded like he was trying to rationalize his single status. It's sad, because JD seems like a nice enough guy. He's certainly no looker, but he appears to be a hard worker and I don't think he'd treat his wife badly. Maybe he's just too shy to approach girls or maybe Josh's funk has tainted his male siblings. We haven't seen a courtship from a Duggar son since Marge's dreams of stardom went up in flames.

Regarding "whenever" I believe it is a regional thing. I have cousins from the South who use it all the time.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5
42 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

A girl I work with says whenever instead of when and it is the strangest thing to me.  I can't hear anything she says bc I'm always waiting for her next 'whenever.'  She's from the Midwest.  Is that a thing there, maybe?

I've read that it's a dialect thing in quite a few places in the middle of the country, especially more southern states. I've also read that it appears to be spreading -- which I would guess means that people with a shaky grasp of vocabulary and word usage meet somebody who says it a lot and since they don't know what the word means they start using it incorrectly too, even though they're not from the region where many people do?

I think it's very common in Arkansas, though. So Bin is speaking his home dialect, I guess.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, BitterApple said:

SuzyLee, huge slow clap for your entire post.

As usual, this episode was a snoozefest. I mean really, baby proofing isn't some complicated endeavour that requires months of planning and a team of NASA scientists. I can't tell if Anna's pregnant or if she's given up shapewear.

Jill making no bones about hating life in Danger America was surprising, especially for a woman who's been browbeaten to keep sweet since birth.

Jeremy is a creeper. I do not like him AT ALL. And ffs, you cheap bastard, buy a decent bouquet of flowers. That crap he gave Jinger looked like one of those arrangements they give six year-old flower girls to walk down the aisle with at weddings.

Spurge and Izzy are cute, that's the only thing nice I have to say.

I haven't watched.  I boycotted yet I recorded this last night.  I will watch when my headship is at work Saturday.  I am too embarrassed to do it in front of him.

ANYHOO, back to Jeremy.  He gives me bad vibes as well.  Not sure why except for the fact he's marrying a chronological adult with the maturity of a 13 year old.  Nothing says power grab more in an unequal relationship like that.  Now for the superficial, his teeth bug me.  He looks like he has one of those fake teeth things from Halloween where someone wants to look like Quasimoto.  And he's trying to up his numbers at his little church in Laredo by marrying a freak fundie with a tv show.  Calculated.

• Love 18
2 hours ago, louannems said:

I rather enjoyed Josiah's jaunty little walk as he left his big truck driving session.  You be yourself Josiah!

I felt annoyance at JD saying he was too busy for romance.  Couldn't he.find a nice girl at the local Baptist church?

ALL the girls were orange with fake tan.

Michelle looks pregnant, complete with maternity wear.  I know we've seen photos of her much slimmer since Josh scandals.

Romance = sex in their world.  What 20 something boy isn't thinking about sex all the damn time?  Especially when you've had nothing?  No kiss, no butterflies when you see them, nada?  Unless seeing his batshit crazy parents hump at golf courses and talk about their babymaking skillz constantly put him off the ole romance all together.  Sort of how food poisoning (Sew Sumi feel better!) turns you off food.  

• Love 9
13 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I haven't watched.  I boycotted yet I recorded this last night.  I will watch when my headship is at work Saturday.  I am too embarrassed to do it in front of him.

This made me LOL.  Thank you.  

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I'm in the Midwest, and I have never heard anyone misuse "whenever." Thank goodness!

I'm guilty as hell of saying "whenever" instead of "when".  I live pretty close to the Duggars too so it probably is a regional thing.  But I'm now going to notice it at all times! :)

I think JD is purposely single and I can't blame the guy

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, My2sense said:

The baby proofing was totally unessesary for a few hours of babysitting two preschoolers! Give me a break!

It was a total FU Internetz after she posted a picture of Spud fiddling with the cap on a door stop a few months ago. I am banned from her page, but someone was kind enough to upload/screenshot either here or FJ, so I saw it. She must have gotten a barrage of DANGER!!! comments that she likely deleted and blocked the poster. But this is just more proof that she still has too much time on her hands. Given the number of JSlaves still available, she may still have time to read and ban after Godman is born.

• Love 1