Type keyword(s) to search

S33: Bret LaBelle

Michel
  • Start Topic

Maybe he thought saying he was like Tony would be too obvious, since both are cops?  Whenever I get to the "Survivor you're most like" section, my first response is "did we watch the same person, or did you gets your names mixed up?"  But I guess go for the obvious.

That said, I like the guy so far.  I loved his line at the end of his video, saying one castaway looked like an NFL player, and that he'd vote him off if he played for the Giants (I love the Giants, but this guy's from Mass, so I forgive him for that swipe).

• Love 2

I have to love this guy because of his pet peeve, "Couples who sit on the same side of the booth." Preach! That is so weird and annoying! How do they look at each other and talk? 

However, whenever anyone says they can read people like a book, I start to watch for them to be totally blindsided within the first few episodes.

• Love 1

Pre-game interview with Josh Wigler:

http://parade.com/503640/joshwigler/survivor-millennials-vs-gen-x-bret-labelle/

Apparently he is not going to tell anyone he is a cop and going with being a funeral director instead which he thinks he can pull of given that he has works in that business as well.

Pre-game interview with Gordon Holmes:

http://my.xfinity.com/blogs/tv/2016/08/31/survivor-gen-xer-bret/

Edited by LanceM
1 hour ago, kakiphony said:

I have to love this guy because of his pet peeve, "Couples who sit on the same side of the booth." Preach! That is so weird and annoying! How do they look at each other and talk? 

There's a really sneakily subtle maneuver one can employ in such circumstances - it's called "turning your head."  :D

However, whenever anyone says they can read people like a book, I start to watch for them to be totally blindsided within the first few episodes.

That "read people like a book" bit is one of MY pet peeves, to be honest.  My normal response is, "Only if they're flat and made of paper."  ;)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

Brett's gay?  I never would have guessed that in a million years, because he's definitely not the stereotypical gay man that this show usually casts.

I know, right?!  I saw someone mention that I think in the most recent episode thread and was like "Wait... (record scratch)... what?".  But that's kind of awesome; it'll be neat if he goes far, and neither the gay thing or the secret cop thing ever comes up, because sure, gay cop... pfft, whatever, let's just play Survivor!  Not everyone needs to be a caricature of their one producer-selected trait (flamboyant gay man!  angry black woman!  Gnarly McDudebro!  Hippie flirty chick!  Cornpone Southerner! etc), and this seems like the first season in a while where we really haven't had that much of the manufactured character types.

Even though he's a cop, I've kind of liked him so far; some of our past law enforcement representatives on this show are... interesting characters, whereas Bret seems pretty straightforward.  Not making waves or being a dick, keeping a low profile while staying in the loop on strategy, etc.  I don't think I've heard a single confessional in which Bret equates his profession with some magical ability to read or fool people... hell, I already like him more way more than Tony! :)

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I heard him say he was gay but I don't remember if he was talking to Chris or if it was in a confessional.

Oh damn, I don't even remember him bringing it up on the show. I just remember reading about it on the internet. Do you happen to recall what ep he mentioned it in?

On November 21, 2016 at 11:16 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Oh damn, I don't even remember him bringing it up on the show. I just remember reading about it on the internet. Do you happen to recall what ep he mentioned it in?

The only place I recall him saying it on camera is in the confessional LanceM posted above. But, that was an extra video, not on the show.

• Love 1

I wanted to like Bret.  And I did-when he never spoke and wasn't Zeke's goat.  Seriously, where does the arrogance come from all of a sudden?  He's an ass.  He's been blindsided twice, had some easy votes at GenX, and then has been pretty much on the bottom the other times.  He hasn't made any moves of his own, just followed around Chris, and now Zeke.

• Love 7

i like Bret well enough, but this conversation touched me and I gained new respect for him.  As a man working in a similar job culture and sharing the same attitude about being gay, it was nice to finally see "someone like me" on Survivor. 

Edited by suedehead
  • Love 10

Bret's taunting of David sure came out of left field.  He went from encouraging David to play in the competition to asking him if he was gonna cry again.  If Bret goes far in the game, I wonder if it's going to cost him jury votes.  It was just strange to see him attack on a personal level like that, when up until last night, his edit has been as a gregarious, fun, likable guy.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Bret's taunting of David sure came out of left field.  He went from encouraging David to play in the competition to asking him if he was gonna cry again.  If Bret goes far in the game, I wonder if it's going to cost him jury votes.  It was just strange to see him attack on a personal level like that, when up until last night, his edit has been as a gregarious, fun, likable guy.

Purely gut feeling here, but I get the sense this is another demonstration of just how much gets left on the cutting room floor.

• Love 5

I didn't actually dislike Bret until the taunting of David, but I thought his whole temper tantrum over the use of "trust cluster, " was a little bit scary and this whole season I've noticed that his enthusiasm for beer was a little over the top. Just not someone I would feel safe being buddies with.

• Love 7

I like Bret, too, but as a fellow gay guy, I'd still like to slap him up the side of the head and ask him what the uncalled-for crap he and Zeke gave David at tribal council was all about.  We're not all bitches and mean girls, Bret.  Please stop painting us as such.

• Love 8
51 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

I like Bret, too, but as a fellow gay guy, I'd still like to slap him up the side of the head and ask him what the uncalled-for crap he and Zeke gave David at tribal council was all about.  We're not all bitches and mean girls, Bret.  Please stop painting us as such.

I just went back and rewatched the tribal council because I didn't know what you meant, and honestly, I still don't.  They had a little verbal exchange, but nothing 'bitches and mean girl' worthy, IMO.   What am I missing?  

Btw.... I'm a bi guy so I get the whole false portrayal thing, I just don't see what was so bad about Bret and Zeke's convo to David.  

8 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

You don't think making fun of David's tendency to get emotional was bitchy and uncalled for, @J.D.?

It wasn't appropriate, but I can't condone slapping Bret upside his head as the right response.  

26 minutes ago, J.D. said:

It wasn't appropriate, but I can't condone slapping Bret upside his head as the right response.  

Why not?  What would you do in response (I'm not arguing -- I'm just asking what you think would be an appropriate reaction)?

One little hissy fit and he's public enemy number one - or is that Zeke? I think it's Zeke, currently. Zeke was allegedly disregarding of favorite pretty girl Michelle's religious views, as well as snapping at David, so he has become truly awful of a sudden. Michaela was vicious and mean, full of disdain and contempt for all and sundry in pretty well every episode, and that's magically erased to the point that most seemed unable to parse the obvious - she was really angry when she left, she said so in later interviews, "better to hit a plant than a person" etc. No, she's fierce. But the two gay guys snap a bit in TC and they are now beyond the pale, and what's more are now also letting the team down as ... public representatives of all gay men on earth?!

I cut both fellows some slack. We don't know what preceded the snap, but just watching the brief highlights of the edited footage of those last few tribals from the climate-controlled comfort of my couch, I would like to leap through the screen and metaphorically slap Hannah around the chops a few times, and for all we know David was pushing the boat out at length about his journey from weedy neurotic who is no threat and has struggled so, and playing the tiny violins. People snap! They make angry comments in moments of heat. And in this instance they target the (temporary) alliance head who is coming for them or their (temporary) alliance head. Honestly, seeing first Brett and now Zeke copping it on the main thread is really doing my head in. Talk about double standards.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Why not?  What would you do in response (I'm not arguing -- I'm just asking what you think would be an appropriate reaction)?

I don't condone violence.  Not sure what my response would be, but not violence.  

50 minutes ago, violet and green said:

People snap! They make angry comments in moments of heat. 

Very true. But even in the heat of the moment I feel like mocking someone's anxiety is really low and gross. I would feel the same way if David had mocked Zeke or Brett in that moment. It's just not a good luck on anyone for any reason. But hey if they recognize it was a shitty thing to do and apologize and move on, it's all fine. Like Michaela, she went a little too far with Hannah during the heat of the challenge (though she certainly didn't stoop to the level Zeke and Brett did imo) and then apologized immediately afterward. I hope Zeke and Brett follow suit.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 15

You can snap and say mean things without purposefully hitting out at something you *know* (because the person has told you) is the source of most of a person's inner turmoil, their absolute most vulnerable spot -- I absolutely think if you do choose to go there, then that is a big red flag that you are actually an awful person. I don't know about others around here, but when I'm mad, I certainly have snapped on occasion but I would absolutely never mock someone for having crippling anxiety, or having depression, or other psychological issues that they are struggling with that I *know* they are struggling with and I had previously openly supported them in. To me, that's pretty indefensible and I find it gross how people are trying to be like ehhh, they just got mad and said some stuff, no big deal. I think what they did takes it to another level that is really ugly and nothing that Michaela was ever shown doing to Hannah or Jay or anyone else even slightly compares. Also, David literally wasn't saying or doing anything at that moment at TC to trigger those reactions from Brett and Zeke.

• Love 15
15 minutes ago, pamplemousse said:

I would absolutely never mock someone for having crippling anxiety, or having depression, or other psychological issues that they are struggling with that I *know* they are struggling with and I had previously openly supported them in

The bolded is kinda what really made it extra gross, but also why it did seem like it came completely out of left field and does make me wonder about it. Which brings me to ...

Also, David literally wasn't saying or doing anything at that moment at TC to trigger those reactions from Brett and Zeke.

Exactly. Which is why I guess maybe the people who have speculated that there was stuff edited out could possibly be right, but I just kinda doubt it. Honestly I think Zeke and Brett were maybe not as genuine as I believed with their support of David.

• Love 4

As someone who lives with anxiety (among other things) I think my problem with the Bret and Zeke's bullying of David is that a lot of people I've come across think anxiety is a weird quirk that you can shut off/on whenever you want and it doesn't work like that. David's not being anxious and paranoid and crying to gain jury points or to purposely annoy people. He doesn't want to be emotional, but this is an overwhelming experience for him and yeah, it's overwhelming for everyone, but anxiety makes it ten times worse. And fwiw, if David had said something equally low, then I'd be annoyed with him as well.

I had no problem with Zeke saying the "raise your hand if you're in David's alliance," as a come back because that's game play and fair and if Bret had kept his annoyance simply in lines with the game, then I'd still think he was being slightly OTT, but he took it to a personal level. 

Like it or not, there's still a huge stigma surrounding mental health in general and people perceive those with anxiety as weak and overly sensitive and frankly, it's exhausting sometimes to have to correct others. It's not a choice to have anxiety. It is, however, a choice to be a jackass about someone's mental health.

Edited by JaggedLilPill
  • Love 15
22 minutes ago, pamplemousse said:

Also, David literally wasn't saying or doing anything at that moment at TC to trigger those reactions from Brett and Zeke.

That. We. Saw.

With tribal councils going on for two hours at a time, sometimes, a little bit does get left on the cutting room floor.

6 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Exactly. Which is why I guess maybe the people who have speculated that there was stuff edited out could possibly be right, but I just kinda doubt it. Honestly I think Zeke and Brett were maybe not as genuine as I believed with their support of David.

You can support someone and like them and enjoy them, and even love them, and also be irritated by them.

Anxiety, chronic, constant anxiety is irritating. I say this as someone with PTSD and multiple phobias. I have been told off by my expartner for gasping, and ridiculed for it many times by pretty well everyone I know, family, friend, or acquaintances. Nice! Most people can't grasp any of my clinical stuff, which is real and lifelimiting and profoundly debilitating - and most people just snap or infer outright I am making it all up. Common garden GAD and general neurosis does not require tiptoeing around reverently, eternally, in my book. And just because one has a condition or two, does not mean no-one, ever, is allowed to lose their temper or insult you or find you a drag - particularly if you are banging on about it all the time, as David has done.

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, violet and green said:

I have been told off by my expartner for gasping, and ridiculed for it many times by pretty well everyone I know, family, friend, or acquaintances.

Then those people are assholes.

Sure, living with someone with anxiety or any form of mental illness can be difficult, but if you start ridiculing/mocking/bullying people for it then you're kind of a dick. You can express annoyance and frustration other ways.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't hate Bret and Zeke, either.  I can imagine that David and Hannah playing up to Jeff could get annoying out there and I kind of appreciate someone who'll speak out of turn and call them on it.  I mean the 'trust cluster' thing.  It would've bothered me that Hannah tittered like a schoolgirl over Jeff using her made-up word, and I might've also called bullshit on it becoming some new Survivor buzzword, as if this season's alliances are really some new iteration of the game.  

And maybe David has been relying a bit much on his tears and self-identified neurotic persona.  It could be strategy.  Not that he's not neurotic, but you could get to the end on being the poor crying guy no one wants to take down a peg.  Plus both Hannah and David could be playing it up for the cameras, and it's working.  If your own game play is more subtle, you could realize while you're out there that the editors will be making you out to be a coattail rider, exactly like Bret and Sunday are.  I guess I'm a little tired of David and Hannah being the narrators.  

Agreed.  ^^^^  David knew what he was getting into by going on the show.  Anxiety is a real condition; however, David knows himself better than anyone on the show and he can't seriously think that the rest of the cast are supposed to tippy toe around his issue/illness.  Especially under the conditions these people are living under:  heat, hunger, bugs, rain, thirst, inadequate shelter, uncomfortable bedding.  Good grief!  People get testy under perfect conditions in the climate-controlled comforts of their non-Survivor lives.  Add in all these uncomfortable elements, and if David didn't feel he could handle what may lie ahead, he shouldn't have gone on the show.  The only reason Bret / Zeke said anything in the first place is because David won't let it go.  He has this entitlement thing about himself where he feels like he can say whatever he wants but then because of his anxiety issue, people have to be careful what they say to him in return.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't hate Bret and Zeke, either.  I can imagine that David and Hannah playing up to Jeff could get annoying out there and I kind of appreciate someone who'll speak out of turn and call them on it.  I mean the 'trust cluster' thing.  It would've bothered me that Hannah tittered like a schoolgirl over Jeff using her made-up word, and I might've also called bullshit on it becoming some new Survivor buzzword, as if this season's alliances are really some new iteration of the game.  

And maybe David has been relying a bit much on his tears and self-identified neurotic persona.  It could be strategy.  Not that he's not neurotic, but you could get to the end on being the poor crying guy no one wants to take down a peg.  Plus both Hannah and David could be playing it up for the cameras, and it's working.  If your own game play is more subtle, you could realize while you're out there that the editors will be making you out to be a coattail rider, exactly like Bret and Sunday are.  I guess I'm a little tired of David and Hannah being the narrators.  

This. I thought it was unnecessary and childish of Bret and Zeke to mock David about the crying and it's good that they were both called out on it by people there and Bret even sort of acknowledged it was out of line.

But I'm completely with Bret when he was exasperated with Hannah going on about trust clusters, because it's just trying to be cute and novel like it's something unique to this group. Own it and just admit every one is playing for their own best interests.

I don't know about David but I do see Hannah playin up some aspects of her personality with her never-ceasing over the top reactions to every little thing. I've never seen an actual person behave that way in real life, whether they have anxiety issues or not. It's like some of the contestants on the Amazing Race who play to the cameras TOO much.

• Love 3

Brett was right there with Hannah, comforting her, when she had a panic attack on the sidelines watching a challenge, early on in the season. He stayed right by her side until and after the doctor came and attended to her. He certainly didn't mock her or dismiss her or roll his eyes. His job as a policeman (whatever some in the force may get up to) is essentially to put his life in danger to protect others, and he showed his protectiveness and caring side then. I think people are multifaceted.

I don't think mocking someone in a moment of anger - and taking a low blow about something sensitive - is good. It was not their finest hour. But it's not bullying either.

22 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Then those people are assholes.

Sure, living with someone with anxiety or any form of mental illness can be difficult, but if you start ridiculing/mocking/bullying people for it then you're kind of a dick. You can express annoyance and frustration other ways.

Thanks for the free assessment of my exhusband, family, and former friends! I have a few other words for the ex. I don't see any of them anymore.

• Love 5

I think it was bullying. That doesn't mean they're bullies or that they'll continue bullying people, but that moment from them was definitely bullying imo.

I rewatched that moment and imo Bret comes off less heinous than Zeke. When he says the 'are you gonna cry' thing it's pretty obviously out of some pent up frustration and he didn't say it mockingly in that moment, but then when Zeke joins in Bret gets nastier because, well, Bret is a follower.

And the things with Hannah and Ken were definitely not low or bullying or anything. They weren't his best moments for sure, but they were game related and not personal low blows.

• Love 4

I tend to go with something like this, with the emphasis on repeated:

"A definition of bullying. Bullying is repeated verbal, physical, social or psychological behaviour that is harmful and involves the misuse of power by an individual or group towards one or more persons."

• Love 2

Whatever you call it, and however long it lasted, the point is that it came from a place of cruelty. It was mean.

I'm not going to condemn the two of them for it, call them awful people and forever root against them just because of it, but it was certainly the worst behavior I can recall out of the people remaining in the game.

• Love 7

Agree with Lingo.  The behavior was so surprising to me mainly because we hadn't seen it before.  

Who knows what led up to it.  These people are tired, hungry, cranky and missing home.  Snapping at someone is to be expected.  But Bret seemed to take it quickly to a personal place with David, which contradicts most of his previous behavior.  I think I'm actually more ticked at Zeke for jumping so quickly on Bret's bandwagon.

Or maybe I just have a hair-trigger response to what I perceive as bullying on this show, having been worn down and disgusted by the likes of Will, Foley, and the tattooed jerks from the past couple of seasons.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Or maybe I just have a hair-trigger response to what I perceive as bullying on this show, having been worn down and disgusted by the likes of Will, Foley, and the tattooed jerks from the past couple of seasons.

Yea I mean as far as Survivor assholes go Bret doesn't even rank in the top 25. 

5 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Snapping at someone is to be expected.  But Bret seemed to take it quickly to a personal place with David, which contradicts most of his previous behavior.

This is why it's just so bizarre and comes off even worse to me. There's even an extra vid from these episodes where Bret has a confessional about how much respect he has for David and how much he likes him.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Agree with Lingo.  The behavior was so surprising to me mainly because we hadn't seen it before.  

Who knows what led up to it.  These people are tired, hungry, cranky and missing home.  Snapping at someone is to be expected.  But Bret seemed to take it quickly to a personal place with David, which contradicts most of his previous behavior.  I think I'm actually more ticked at Zeke for jumping so quickly on Bret's bandwagon.

3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea I mean as far as Survivor assholes go Bret doesn't even rank in the top 25. 

This is why it's just so bizarre and comes off even worse to me. There's even an extra vid from these episodes where Bret has a confessional about how much respect he has for David and how much he likes him.

Which is why I'm inclined to just say he had a bad day.  Everyone is tired and worn out (although not apparently hungry, given the sheer size of the food rewards this season- I don't want people to risk death, but it is "Survivor" after all, not "Island Resort Big Brother") and as we know, those TCs go on for like 2 hours, so who knows if it was 30 minutes of "trust cluster" this and "trust cluster" that before he snapped.  I'm comfortably watching from home, and I honestly can't even pretend that I would be able to get off my couch, walk into tribal, and endure 60 minutes of Hannah et al without losing my temper and lashing out at the next friggin' person who said "trust cluster" like that was a thing.  :)

Given the almost ritualistic abuse given to some contestants in past seasons (like the ugliness directed at Shirin in her first season), Bret doesn't even rate on that scale.  By and large, this season has again been fairly free of ugly personalities; the worst we can really say is that early/mid boots like Figgy, Taylor, and Michaela were unpleasant snipers- but even they weren't like vicious about things.

Edited by hincandenza
  • Love 6
On 11/25/2016 at 4:19 PM, legaleagle53 said:

You don't think making fun of David's tendency to get emotional was bitchy and uncalled for, @J.D.?

It didn't bother me -- all's fair in Survivor IMO -- but regardless, it doesn't reflect on gay people.  It reflects, if at all, only on Brett and Zeke. 

• Love 1
On 11/27/2016 at 9:21 PM, hincandenza said:

and as we know, those TCs go on for like 2 hours, so who knows if it was 30 minutes of "trust cluster" this and "trust cluster" that before he snapped. 

I would agree with this and also mention that Jessica has spoken in multiple exit interviews about how David was  "being really aggressive in hopes that they would vote for hi." It didn't really make the episode but I'm willing to give Bret a pass. 

• Love 2

I didn't like Bret, didn't hate him.  His departure reminded me of the Frank Grimes character from the Simpsons, who tried for so long to get people to see Homer as being an idiot, but everyone told him what a great guy he was.  Well, Bret is Frank, and David is Homer.  I loved him getting bested by the guy he's been gunning for.  Unlike Jay, someone was a tad bitter in his exit. 

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3