Type keyword(s) to search

Hired Friends: Whitney's Social Barnacles

• Start Topic

On 8/20/2016 at 11:25 PM, mamadrama said:

I actually liked Buddy in the beginning. He was like a big, old, cuddly teddy bear. (I have a thing for the John Goodman types.) But after his behavior with Kerryn, both in the first episode and in the reunion, I now have him on the same level as Whitney. 

Someone asked if it was natural or normal for people to still be friends with their high school friends. Todd, Buddy, and Heather all went to high school with Whitney. I am wondering if she has trouble making and maintaining friendships. Considering her level of maturity, which looks like it never reached beyond 16, it seems right on that she would continue to remain friends with those who she hung out with at that age. 

Donna Lee is apparently her roommate. I guess she just doesn't want to be filmed. Kind of weird though, huh? And it makes me a little mad. Oh yeah, we're seeing her "real" life...

I don't know what Todd's deal is. He supposedly lives in NYC but, as others have pointed out, he's in Greensboro a LOT. And he's meant to be a "dancer" as well? I Googled him and can't find anything on him that says "dancer" so perhaps he is a dancer in the same way that Whitney is. 

Heather's FB pages are full of MBFFL advertisements. She's earning her paycheck. I think they're all just playing parts now, going in for their money, and have lost sight of what their REAL lives are. Whitney herself now even seems to think of her life in terms of seasons. So weird. 

Donna Lee is whose roommate??? Not Whit's...her roommate is Buddy, right???

Todd....I used to like him,as a goofy sort of guy, until he showed his mean b!tch colors with the C You comment.  That was such a nasty thing to say to women, everywhere.

Buddy...he needs to get that wheezing-mouth-breathing malady of his fixed.  He's like a "hanger-on'er. "  He's just there for the $$. He has no real b@lls,  and will never stand up to Whit, but he will be her bully when someone is "abusing" her verbally.

Heather -- she's just a body, collecting a paycheck.

Tal - I think he means well, but his actions are so unprofessional in this show. He will be hard pressed to find a "real" counseling job in the "real" world.

Glenn and Babs....I used to like them, but after this season, I think they're not the poor little misinformed parents they appear to be.  I think they're great actors. 

Whit's brother...what's his name? He wants no part of this circus.

Lennie -- he's a creeper. Or just plain creepy.  He must have been high on something to prepare himself to even pretend to be intimate with Whitney (as in, their sleeping in the same bed scenes, and the few paltry kisses they exchanged).

Thanks for letting me tag on your post, Mamadrama!

• Love 6
6 hours ago, LocalGovt said:

Donna Lee is whose roommate??? Not Whit's...her roommate is Buddy, right???

On Whit's FB page, Donna posted and I got the impression she's a roommate.
Lennie always looks like he's in a (bad) disguise, to me.

• Love 8
On 8/30/2016 at 8:51 PM, MegD said:

This is what bothers me about Whitney. She has taken the stance that anyone trying to lose weight must be ashamed of their current body. I'm a big girl and I'm completely ok with how I look. This doesn't mean that I wouldn't also like myself if I got into better shape. I get the sense that Whitney isn't really that happy with how she looks. She's trying to make it seem better by surrounding herself with heavy set individuals so she'll feel more "normal" comparatively. When those individuals (Buddy, Ashley, Roy, etc.) lose weight, she has to internally rationalize this. She does this by saying "Ok, they just hate themselves." I do agree that she's going to sabotage others in as many ways as possible to "prove" that fat is better.

I just think she's so invested in her self-delusions (everyone wants her as a sex object, she's healthy, she's trying so hard and no one appreciates how hard she's working, etc.) that she can't see the truth of the matter. She could still be "fat" or heavy 100 lbs lighter but she'd be better able to get around, dance, ski, ride a bike, etc. than she is right now. She could find healthier options. There's cauliflower pizza crust recipes out there with just a small amount of work to make healthier pizzas than those on offer from take out places. There are healthier options on fast food and restaurant menus. There are smaller drinks at Starbucks that she could order. She just wants Penny's "yellow brick road" to easy weight loss without having to put forward any effort. The social barnacles aren't helping one bit.

Penny, from 600-lb Life, and Whitney are both raving narcissists. 

And remember - the yellow brick road only led to the (fake) wizard, who told all of the characters that nobody else could give them the things they wanted. They had to find those things within themselves. They did, but I don't think Penny or Whitney ever will.

• Love 9
On 9/7/2016 at 10:46 PM, auntjess said:

On Whit's FB page, Donna posted and I got the impression she's a roommate.
Lennie always looks like he's in a (bad) disguise, to me.

Yes, Donna and Buddy are both her roommates. Crazy that she's never shown on the show. They've lived together for at least 8 months. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Yes, Donna and Buddy are both her roommates. Crazy that she's never shown on the show. They've lived together for at least 8 months. 

Yeah, I don't get that.  And what I've seen of their relationship online doesn't help understand why she hasn't been featured on the show.  For her to be such an important figure in Whit's life and not be on the show is actually disturbing in a way and I can't even explain why.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

Yeah, I don't get that.  And what I've seen of their relationship online doesn't help understand why she hasn't been featured on the show.  For her to be such an important figure in Whit's life and not be on the show is actually disturbing in a way and I can't even explain why.

I agree and I think it's because they have been actively deceiving us and must have to jump through lots of hoops to keep up that charade. Obviously a lot about this show is bullshit (or BS, haha) but that is a new level of it.

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

I think they enjoy playing up the Buddy/Whitney drama. Adding another roommate makes it look like that's JUST what it is-a roommate situation with people splitting the bills. Cutting it down to ONLY Buddy and Whitney makes it appear more dramatic, with possible romantic tension. 

And, like @ClareWalks said, they seem to enjoy actively deceiving us. It irritates me. Over on the Teen Mom board we were discussing the most recent episode. It showed one of the characters (well, actually, we heard one of the characters) at a party. She later got on Twitter and said she wasn't even there at the time; they'd edited her presence in. Really wild that such lengths are gone to. 

• Love 6
On 9/10/2016 at 1:50 AM, mamadrama said:

So I guess DonnaLee wasn't home that day to help her out of the shower?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, LocalGovt said:

So I guess DonnaLee wasn't home that day to help her out of the shower?

Or, like AZ said above, she wasn't strong enough to get her out. I am wondering if that whole scene wasn't just a recreation of a real incident. Who knows. Dang this show. 

• Love 2
On January 18, 2017 at 8:33 PM, lovetheduns said:

For some reason, I never thought Donna Lee was a roommate (or rather not that is her primary duty). I got the impression she was Whit's assistant?

She may be now, but in Whitney's book she goes on and on about how they're BFFs, soulm8z, share a brain, etc. They met when Whit was dating a friend of Donna's. She certainly has been whitewashed from the show a la a Kardashian assistant or something, like we're not even supposed to know she exists.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, mamadrama said:

After I saw the way they all treated the comedian at the reunion special, I don't have any love for any of the cast members. Except maybe the pig. 

They were pretty mean to Kerryn, who was simply calling Whitney out. Unlike Whitney, Kerryn probably let it roll off and went on with her life without any lasting emotional "trauma" (and probably got more material from those idiots).

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Runnergirl said:

They were pretty mean to Kerryn, who was simply calling Whitney out. Unlike Whitney, Kerryn probably let it roll off and went on with her life without any lasting emotional "trauma" (and probably got more material from those idiots).

I ended up friending Kerryn on Facebook. I am not a fan of her particular brand of comedy, but I liked something about her. She seemed more traumatized over the rabid Whitney fans harassing her on social media than about the actual reunion. To be honest, I am just as upset at the host and production company for setting Kerryn up and encouraging the behavior. Whitney and Company can't help being shitty-I think it's part of their nature. But the host could've cut them off. Or something. They let it continue for sensationalism. (Speaking of, have you all watched CHRISTINE? The movie about the newscaster that shot herself on air, not the film about the crazy car.)

• Love 4
On 8/20/2016 at 1:20 PM, ClareWalks said:

Lennie has all the personality and raw excitement of a senior's knitting class. Hard pass.

I have to respectfully disagree here. A senior's knitting class would have WAY more personality and raw excitement than Lennie. I'm sure he's a nice enough guy but so laid back you almost have to check for a pulse. Probably the ONLY thing that has gotten him through his "relationship" with Twit. 

I will say this - I LOVED his "You called me 10 time?!?" reaction when they had "the talk" in her car about his not being home at 3am. Run, Lennie. RUN. 

• Love 13
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:10 PM, mamadrama said:

I ended up friending Kerryn on Facebook. I am not a fan of her particular brand of comedy, but I liked something about her.

I friend or like people on FB for similar reasons.  I've "liked" the Mexican president today.

• Love 9

Hi!! I'm a little new to this particular show...I don't watch it, but I come here for the excellent snark. I am a little confused. Could you please tell me the role of Lenny, Todd, Buddy, and anyone else. I believe that Lenny was a boyfriend, is he still? Thanks!

• Love 2
On 1/27/2017 at 6:41 PM, Beaner said:

Hi!! I'm a little new to this particular show...I don't watch it, but I come here for the excellent snark. I am a little confused. Could you please tell me the role of Lenny, Todd, Buddy, and anyone else. I believe that Lenny was a boyfriend, is he still? Thanks!

Lenny (aka Yukon) ws her boyfriend. No longer in the picture.

Todd: Best gay BFF and "dance" partner. Emphasis on the quotes for dance.

Buddy: long time friend, roommate and fake previous crush for Twitney

Edited by greekmom
forgot to add Buddy's living situation
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

There is definitely truth to actors hired to "play" certain roles in reality tv.   I follow a local modeling/acting agency here in Boston and they often announce on Facebook projects their clients are hired for.   A few years ago when the reality show Wahlburgers was just coming out, this agency announced they were so excited one of their clients was hired to play Alma's (Donny and Mark's mom) best friend on Wahlburgers.   So I have no doubt most if not all of Twit's "friends" carefully casted to serve a purpose.    

• Love 12
7 hours ago, greekmom said:

I finally saw the episode last night. All I kept thinking when I saw Yukon Cornelius is that I wonder what he looks like without the bushy beard and no cap.

Kinda cute. There is a pic out there somewhere.

• Love 1

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/big-fat-fabulous-star-whitney-thores-ex-arrested-dwi-fighting-cops/amp/

“Lennie Alehat” is actually an alias! Nathaniel David Lee, 29, has a sordid past, including an arrest for a DWI in 2008. He later violated probation on that charge. He completed probation in 2010. Lee currently has not one, but two warrants out for his arrest after making violent threats!

He threatened two individuals back in July 2016, allegedly stating, “I will kick your a** and drag you out the damn store.”

• Love 1

I'm hoping Jiya's been hired to be Kerryn pt 2 and challenge Whitney's claim about being an advocate for fat women in dance. We haven't seen much of her yet, but if I were her, I would point out to Whitney that she is benefiting from lowered expectations, which is a form of perpetuating prejudice (at least in my opinion). She sees Whitney and BGDC getting all this media attention and being invited to the folk festival to perform a routine that literally could be done by people with 0 dance experience after only 2 practice sessions. People clap and think it's great because they're fat women and no one expects them to be any good at dancing. It's like watching a little kids dance recital. It's all so condescending. Jiya seems to have a dance group with fat women who also know how to dance with energy and skill. She probably resents that Whitney's group just reinforces the notion that big girls can't get down like the real pros and Whitney's being held up as this pioneer breaking stereotypes. At least that's how I would feel...

Whitney should just rebrand her class as just a group that gets together and dances. Don't try to make it an actual "class" which implies they're supposed to be learning technique. It's just as important to advocate for people to do something for the sake of enjoyment rather than competition or any other end goal. That's the biggest selling point for BGDC. Don't try to make it more than that by performing at all these events where all the other groups performing had to earn it in some way. But knowing this show, Jiya's just going to be portrayed as a mean woman with a bad attitude.

In other news, Buddy is so uncomfortable to watch this season. He looks miserable in his own body. He struggles to breathe and speaks as if it takes a lot of effort. I feel like you can tell he's obese just by his voice. I'm honestly concerned about his health...I think I remember them saying he has sleep apnea, and he's constantly falling asleep on the couch and snoring loudly. That doesn't seem all that safe to me. Apparently he's been skipping out on workout sessions, which I think is fine. He needs to focus on the diet before he tries to drastically increase his activity level. But either way, he needs to take his health seriously. I think he's more in danger of dropping dead from a heart attack before age 40 than even Whitney is.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, M.F. Luder said:

I'm hoping Jiya's been hired to be Kerryn pt 2 and challenge Whitney's claim about being an advocate for fat women in dance. We haven't seen much of her yet, but if I were her, I would point out to Whitney that she is benefiting from lowered expectations, which is a form of perpetuating prejudice (at least in my opinion). She sees Whitney and BGDC getting all this media attention and being invited to the folk festival to perform a routine that literally could be done by people with 0 dance experience after only 2 practice sessions. People clap and think it's great because they're fat women and no one expects them to be any good at dancing. It's like watching a little kids dance recital. It's all so condescending. Jiya seems to have a dance group with fat women who also know how to dance with energy and skill. She probably resents that Whitney's group just reinforces the notion that big girls can't get down like the real pros and Whitney's being held up as this pioneer breaking stereotypes. At least that's how I would feel...

Whitney should just rebrand her class as just a group that gets together and dances. Don't try to make it an actual "class" which implies they're supposed to be learning technique. It's just as important to advocate for people to do something for the sake of enjoyment rather than competition or any other end goal. That's the biggest selling point for BGDC. Don't try to make it more than that by performing at all these events where all the other groups performing had to earn it in some way. But knowing this show, Jiya's just going to be portrayed as a mean woman with a bad attitude.

Yes and yes!  (and yes to the Buddy stuff too, but I don't have further comment on that :)

There is no reason for BGDC to be asked to perform anywhere.  They are a group who gets together once in a while (I can't even say once a week because they don't meet when TLC isn't filming) to enjoy some dance as a form of exercise.  Just because Whit wants to pretend she has a "career" in dance doesn't make them any more than that.  (And don't get me started on all of her BS about "choreography")

And if they insist upon embarrassing themselves by "performing" may I offer up the new name for the group:

"Greensboro Gals n Gays"

Edited by princelina
  • Love 7

I hate to reduce him to a hired barnacle of Whitney's, but I am totally stunned by Will Powell's behavior with respect to her and this show. He's a legit world class athlete, and he has a successful business as a trainer and motivator, especially for overweight people trying to improve their health and fitness. He was even successful in guiding Whitney to her much-talked-about hundred pound weight loss.  I cheered when he was the only one last season to really hold her accountable and to  demonstrate to her that actions have consequences when she threw tantrums and refused to abide by his perfectly sound and reasonable requests (like getting on the scale.) Not to mention how disrespectfully she spoke of him on camera, as when she was piling her plate at her parents' anniversary party while making fun of his rule that she photograph all her meals and send the pictures to him.  It was beyond disappointing to see him take her back simply because she whined so hard and then "climbed" the stairs for him.

They've both said she's continued to work out with him and to work hard. If so, he's clearly given up on holding her accountable as far as her diet is concerned. Even if we believe she really did lose 7 pounds since the last season ended** (going by the scale in her doctor's office when she went in about her phantom pregnancy) that's a scant fraction of what she should have lost in six months if she was working out hard and watching her diet.

**and I don't believe it.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, princelina said:

I'm guessing they came to an agreement that she will commit to the workouts and they will leave her diet for now.

The only problem with that is you can out eat any workout. She can stay in the gym with Will all day but if she sucks down those coffee flavored milkshakes and giant cookies from Starbucks,  she'll remain right where she is.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

The only problem with that is you can out eat any workout. She can stay in the gym with Will all day but if she sucks down those coffee flavored milkshakes and giant cookies from Starbucks,  she'll remain right where she is.

If she's lucky. More likely she'll just keep getting heavier.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

But if you can show your trainer that you didn't eat the whole cookie, then it doesn't count. In fact, you probably get a negative calorie bonus for showing so much restraint.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, Brooklynista said:

You are totally right, but eating everything in sight and working out a few times a week is still slightly healthier than eating everything in sight and doing nothing.  I'm just supposing Will figures he has to start where she is and hope the workouts trigger a healthier mindset in other areas.

Edited by princelina
  • Love 3
On February 17, 2017 at 1:32 AM, Ketzel said:

I hate to reduce him to a hired barnacle of Whitney's, but I am totally stunned by Will Powell's behavior with respect to her and this show. He's a legit world class athlete, and he has a successful business as a trainer and motivator, especially for overweight people trying to improve their health and fitness. He was even successful in guiding Whitney to her much-talked-about hundred pound weight loss.  I cheered when he was the only one last season to really hold her accountable and to  demonstrate to her that actions have consequences when she threw tantrums and refused to abide by his perfectly sound and reasonable requests (like getting on the scale.) Not to mention how disrespectfully she spoke of him on camera, as when she was piling her plate at her parents' anniversary party while making fun of his rule that she photograph all her meals and send the pictures to him.  It was beyond disappointing to see him take her back simply because she whined so hard and then "climbed" the stairs for him.

They've both said she's continued to work out with him and to work hard. If so, he's clearly given up on holding her accountable as far as her diet is concerned. Even if we believe she really did lose 7 pounds since the last season ended** (going by the scale in her doctor's office when she went in about her phantom pregnancy) that's a scant fraction of what she should have lost in six months if she was working out hard and watching her diet.

**and I don't believe it.

I think he sold out plain and simple. More notoriety means more money for his family and him. I don't really think that is "horrible" but I imagine his gym is a lot more successful now with folks wanting to train with him.

• Love 3
On February 18, 2017 at 7:48 PM, princelina said:

You are totally right, but eating everything in sight and working out a few times a week is still slightly healthier than eating everything in sight and doing nothing.  I'm just supposing Will figures he has to start where she is and hope the workouts trigger a healthier mindset in other areas.

I can see that. 

For me, working out gives me a "number" and I know with that number that I can only eat so much.

When i REALLY want to overeat (and trust me I would LOVE to right at this very moment), I remember just how hard it was to spin or work out a few hundred calories and do I REALLY want to eat it back in seconds?

No.

Maybe that is what Will is hoping for Whitney

Edited by lovetheduns
  • Love 1

My guess is that Will views Whitney as an extremely difficult client, but he keeps her on because of the exposure. I've had extremely difficult clients, but I kept training them because I was broke and needed the cash. Now I can afford to be more picky, and I would have thought Will could too, but maybe the exposure is THAT good for him. I did notice that when Whit was once again complaining about her gigantic stomach got in the way while doing yet another exercise, Will said "we're gonna get rid of that," so maybe he is still on Whit about her weight. Or maybe he is thinking, exasperated, "fuck, here comes Whitney, time to break out the kid gloves and pretend she's soooo healthy."

• Love 7

If he's doing it for the exposure, I wonder how useful the show really is for him. I doubt huge numbers of Whitney fans are obese people looking to hire a no-nonsense personal trainer in Greensboro, NC.  Plus why would anyone seriously committing to getting fit and losing weight find the show to be a good reference for him - Whitney doesn't look as if she's lost any weight at all since he took her back. (Is she still smoking, I wonder?) And last season he made a few brief references to the show on social media, but so far this season he's been silent about it. 

I had hopes he was going to be the real Voice of Reason; so far he's mostly let me down. (Or the producers/editors have. Maybe he's laying down the law to her on a regular basis, but she is still not getting with his program.)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

My guess is that Will views Whitney as an extremely difficult client, but he keeps her on because of the exposure. I've had extremely difficult clients, but I kept training them because I was broke and needed the cash. Now I can afford to be more picky, and I would have thought Will could too, but maybe the exposure is THAT good for him. I did notice that when Whit was once again complaining about her gigantic stomach got in the way while doing yet another exercise, Will said "we're gonna get rid of that," so maybe he is still on Whit about her weight. Or maybe he is thinking, exasperated, "fuck, here comes Whitney, time to break out the kid gloves and pretend she's soooo healthy."

I have mixed feeling-I think Will does care about her health but is exasperated by her at the same time. I don't think he pretends she's healthy because he knows better, but I'm sure he might be rolling his eyes on the inside when she starts whining. It bugged the shit out of me when people would become drama queens during workouts, especially intervals. They're supposed to be uncomfortable. Your lungs will burn, your legs will burn and become leaden-feeling. You might even feel nauseous.

There's a difference between "discomfort" and "pain". Pain is your body's way of telling you "you're hurting me, please stop". Discomfort is normal and takes getting used to. Learn to embrace the suck, Whit.

• Love 7

That's good thinking about the discomfort angle. I'm guessing Whitney was a very pampered and spoiled child, as her parents seemed to have no interest in letting their little princess be uncomfortable for even a second. It seems as though Whitney surrounds herself with people who say "whatever you want, poopsie-kins, you deserve it!" so that she won't have to experience discomfort. Ironically, this means she will be very uncomfortable in her very large body.

• Love 6

I came across this testimonial from a young morbidly obese woman who decided to take control of her life, and ended up working with Will Powell after seeing him on MBFFL. (I hereby apologize for earlier wondering who would choose him for a trainer after seeing him faffing about with Whitney.)  After I read it,  I wished she had been the subject of a TLC weight loss show, because her story seemed genuinely inspirational.  It just goes to show what he can accomplish when he has a committed client. 

• Love 2
On 2/20/2017 at 9:27 AM, ClareWalks said:

That's good thinking about the discomfort angle. I'm guessing Whitney was a very pampered and spoiled child, as her parents seemed to have no interest in letting their little princess be uncomfortable for even a second. It seems as though Whitney surrounds herself with people who say "whatever you want, poopsie-kins, you deserve it!" so that she won't have to experience discomfort. Ironically, this means she will be very uncomfortable in her very large body.

Much like Cartman on South Park & his mommy. Come to think about it, Twit & Cartman kinda look & act alike.

• Love 1

This has probably been discussed before, but I don't remember it - Whatever happened to Twit's friend Ashley?  Seeing her in the first season repeat this week is reminding me of her.  She was supposedly Twit's makeup artist/BFF.  Then suddenly a couple of seasons ago she disappeared.  Does anyone know what happened there?  Are they on the outs?

Edited by Snarklepuss
1 hour ago, M.F. Luder said:

Not too long ago, I saw a post from Whitney congratulating Ashley on her pregnancy. So I think Ashley must have decided she had better things to do than be on the show.

Also, we've seen quite a bit of her this season: nail salon, pool hall, couple of other places, I think.

1 hour ago, M.F. Luder said:

Not too long ago, I saw a post from Whitney congratulating Ashley on her pregnancy. So I think Ashley must have decided she had better things to do than be on the show.

Good for Ashley! I had heard that Ashley had started losing some weight a couple seasons ago, so I assumed that Whitney was very opposed to/jealous of that.

• Love 2

That article didn't say where the race was, but based on Lake Monona I am assuming Madison WI. That lake is medium-sized, low chop, and fairly easy visibility so the fact that a kayaker took 7 minutes to reach the scene is unacceptable. I am glad Will is okay, he is a trooper for sure.

• Love 2