Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Try Real Hard

Pretty sure Paul figured out in the S2 finale that he knocked Linds up during the actual sex they had, not from her inept attempt at artificial insemination. And she married him initially because she thought Becca was going to marry Jimmy and she wanted to beat her sister to the altar. (I may have rewatched this show too many times.)

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, shelwood said:

Pretty sure Paul figured out in the S2 finale that he knocked Linds up during the actual sex they had, not from her inept attempt at artificial insemination. And she married him initially because she thought Becca was going to marry Jimmy and she wanted to beat her sister to the altar. (I may have rewatched this show too many times.)

I watched it too (not as recently as you, probably!), and I think you're right. Edited.

• Love 1

In fairness, pretty much every single article I've read about S3 makes that same mistake. =/

I agree, Lindsay was free and clear in season two until she jumped back in with Paul, which was a terrible decision.  And definitely her stabbing him was awful. But this ep is the first one I can think of where he's not clearly a put-upon saint who doesn't deserve Lindsay's scorn. Sure, he's dorky. He's even probably right that all his hobbies that she didn't share put some (more) distance between them. But his fix is outrageously self-centered for something that he said was supposed to be for the two of them: they'll start cooking together (which is clearly not a big passion for her), and listen to a birding podcast while they do. Again, he didn't deserved to be stabbed over this, but the Red Napkin 'gift' was pretty bad and more so for how dishonestly it was framed.

Sam is a fantastic character. I love the whole music group.

The Jimmy-Gretchen plot was a pretty standard sitcom/romcom trope, I think. Executed well, though. The various surprises Gretch let out - not washing her legs (!!) or knowing fluent Spanish were great.

• Love 5

The thing Jimmy seemed to forget is that Gretchen is an exceptionally accomplished liar. There is no way of telling which of the many things she told him were true. We do know now that she speaks Spanish for real, though. Did anyone else note that Jimmy is so self-absorbed that he assumes his buddy Edgar Quintero, with the Spanish name and the noticeable though faint Hispanic accent, doesn't speak Spanish?

I think what really set Lindsay off was the "forever" and "no surprises" aspects. She's interesting, because she has an inner conflict between her desire to be a free spirit doing the kinds of party things she and Gretchen used to do and her desire for security and safety. It's also possible that away from Lindsay, Paul (who looks more like Roger Ebert every day!) has gotten used to having a female companion who actively enjoys everything and anything he wants to do, and that's reinforced his natural inclination towards control and dominance. It certainly came as a surprise, though; I half expected Lindsay's phone to ring with a demand that she come down and do the song with the band.

This show has always revolved around taking the tropes of romantic comedy and giving them a new twist based on its specific characters, and this episode was no exception. That said, compared to every other episode the show has done, this one felt a little flat to me. Although Jimmy's reaction to Edgar's offer of bechamel sauce was a classic moment for sure.

• Love 1

My husband and I mainlined two seasons of this show over the weekend because we were so excited it was coming back. I can't even explain how much I love it. 

Season 3 finale did not disappoint. Aside from the haircuts, it picked up excactly where season 2 left off and I love that it didn't time jump us 3 months down the road or something. 

This morning, while in the shower, I called out to my husband, "I might be a while. I've got to wash my legs." /dead

When Lindsay stabbed Paul, I lost it. The pairing knife. The weird scream. Just, comedy perfection. 

• Love 3

Why did Paul think that Lindsey would want to do any of that stuff. He also kept calling her "wife" It was weird and made her seem like not a real person, if that makes sense. I might have stabbed him too.

Loved the bechamel line.

• Love 2

That last scene made me laugh long after the show ended. I was totally shocked - I can't wait to see the fallout of this. How the hell do they deal with the fact that she stabbed him? 

Tons of funny lines tonight, and a few really touching scenes too. I love this damn show. 

• Love 4

I am just so glad this show is back! Its the assholes in love romantic comedy that we all deserve!

I loved everything with Gretchen and Jimmy, especially Gretchen realizing that Jimmy was trying to show her that he loves her, even if it was subconsciously, or in his own, Jimmy way. I just really love them as a couple, and I love the direction they seem to be going. They had their first real challenge as a couple last season, and they overcame it. I feel like there are so many shows that are desperately trying to be Your the Worst (the rather subpar Netflix show Love being an obvious one) and failing miserably. What they seem to miss is that, while Gretchen and Jimmy can be pretty awful, they are the way that they are for reasons, and the show never forgets to give them enough moments of sympathy to counteract their jerk moments. Plus, they just function so well as a couple. They like to hang out together, they both share a weird sense of humor, and they seem to honestly enjoy each others company. For such a cynical show, its honestly extremely romantic (no matter how horrified Gretch and Jimmy would be by that). 

Oh Edgar, that is not a good idea at all. Poor guy. Just ask Gretchen how well going off your meds worked out. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, wendyg said:

One question: Gretchen said she's starting therapy. What's the purpose of that, given that she has clinical depression, which AIUI is a brain chemistry issue. Is it to learn coping skills?

This was covered in a scene from the season trailer, so it'll probably be addressed real soon.

So they must have gone through some effort to choreograph the opening sex scene, to tease showing the naughty bits while not showing them.

Jimmy and Gretchen still going out of their way to be noncommittal.  Good for comic awkwardness but maybe not realistic after the time (2 years?) they've been together.

Lindsay and Paul scenes function to show how wild she is?  The ennui of domesticity may be her notion of hell but after she has the baby, it's not going to get better.  If she realizes this, will she really do something crazy?

Edited by scrb

One question: Gretchen said she's starting therapy. What's the purpose of that, given that she has clinical depression, which AIUI is a brain chemistry issue. Is it to learn coping skills?

Not being an expert on this subject, I do think that a two pronged attack would be best, given the severity of Gretchen's depression. Medication may take care of the disease, but therapy can help her deal with the effects that her depression has had on her life. 

Yes, Lindsay is horrible, but has Paul ever met her? How can he know so little about her? I'll give up these activities that I love so that we can do other activities that I love, only this time, force you to participate.  He deserved a little light stabbing, if you ask me.

Wow I saved a half hour in the shower this morning, by simply not washing my legs! Who knew?

• Love 5

I hope Lindsay goes to jail, there's nothing funny about domestic violence, and she should have thought a little more before trying to blackmail/manipulate Paul into getting back together with her via a pregnancy if it's not what she wants.  If she does have the baby, I hope it's taken away from her lest she kill it it in another act of abuse.  Paul, sadly enough, was willing to give up his own life to make a marriage work, but an immature slob like Lindsay doesn't think she has to give anything at all up for a relationship.  

I thought most of this episode was pretty unfunny until the concert. 

• Love 2

I hope Lindsay goes to jail, there's nothing funny about domestic violence, and she should have thought a little more before trying to blackmail/manipulate Paul into getting back together with her via a pregnancy if it's not what she wants.  If she does have the baby, I hope it's taken away from her lest she kill it it in another act of abuse.  Paul, sadly enough, was willing to give up his own life to make a marriage work, but an immature slob like Lindsay doesn't think she has to give anything at all up for a relationship.  

I thought most of this episode was pretty unfunny until the concert. 

How did he give up his own life by still doing the things he loved but forcing her to do them with him? He's akin to a kidnapper and you're allowed to attack your kidnapper.

58 minutes ago, Skyfall said:

How did he give up his own life by still doing the things he loved but forcing her to do them with him?

He gave up his soul mate and at the beginning of the episode he announced he was throwing away all of his hobbies that she didn't like in order to devote himself to family life/their child.  As for the kindapping accusation, LOL and no.  This was domestic violence, you aren't allowed to randomly stab someone because you freely choose to cook a meal with them even though you don't actually want to but would rather go out and party but refuse to just say so.  She didn't even run out the door afterwards, she just went back to her spot at the counter, contentedly staying in this abusive relationship where she is the abuser. All Lindsay has to do is say 'this isn't actually what I want,' and leave.

Edited by Glade
  • Love 4

After two whole seasons, I'm not sure who doesn't get that the point of the entire show is that these are people who lack the maturity and coping skills to articulate or identify their needs in any kind of well adjusted manner. 

So many things I loved about this. Jimmy's continuing amazement as he gets to know more about Gretchen. The church people nodding their heads to the music at the secret show.  My favorite small moment, though, had to be seeing the schmoopy bouncer again that Gretchen hooked up with back when she and Jimmy were doing their "We're not an exclusive thing" dance.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Skyfall said:

How did he give up his own life by still doing the things he loved but forcing her to do them with him? He's akin to a kidnapper and you're allowed to attack your kidnapper.

She committed an act of domestic violence, he is in absolutely no way akin to a kidnapper. Giving your partner a gift that they don't enjoy is not grounds for violence. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9
5 hours ago, Glade said:

He gave up his soul mate and at the beginning of the episode he announced he was throwing away all of his hobbies that she didn't like in order to devote himself to family life/their child.  

... And then promptly started a new hobby with Lindsay, except he was totally into it and she very obviously wasn't. Big sacrifice.

As for trapping him with the pregnancy, it briefly crossed her mind at the end of last season but she firmly decided against it, a decision which perversely convinced him to get back with Lindsay because it was so selfless.

• Love 1

My favorite small moment, though, had to be seeing the schmoopy bouncer again that Gretchen hooked up with back when she and Jimmy were doing their "We're not an exclusive thing" dance.

So that was him! I was wondering when I saw that weird look on his face when she passed, but I didn't really think it was.

I'm late but I enjoyed the premiere a lot.  I am so glad it veered more towards comedy this season.  I found myself laughing at a lot of the jokes. 
Although Edgar throwing out his meds after Dorothy came up with alternative ways to enjoy each other makes me nervous. 

As for Paul and Lindsay, nothing justifies the stabbing.  She didn't enjoy the cooking together.  He did.  But that doesn't automatically translate into Paul choosing something he would enjoy and knew she wouldn't or make him a villain.  Unless I'm forgetting a passion Paul has shown for cooking, what we saw was Paul enjoying a task he shared with Lindsay--a task he felt they'd likely do a lot as they raised their family.  It doesn't scream Lindsay but it also didn't seem to be a stretch.   It was basically Paul choosing to be happy with his current lot in life.  Just as he was happy with his lot in life last season. 

What we saw from Lindsay was a woman who spent the first season dissastisfied, feeling trapped and instead of trying to get out of that situation, she was acting out.  Last season, she was out of the trapped situation and spent the whole season trying to get back into it and convincing her ex that's where she wanted to be.  Now she's back to being trapped and, once again, acting out inappropriately.

• Love 3

Rewatching this episode, I realized Paul is just as much The Worst as all the other characters. Sure, he's "trying", but it's just another effort at trying to force Lindsay into being the Perfect Suburban Housewife that he wants to be married to (but didn't actually married). He really doesn't care about L's thoughts or feelings except in relation to himself. He doesn't know her any better than Jimmy knows Gretchen, even though they've been together much longer.

• Love 6

Well, Lindsay did a fair bit of hiding her real self from Paul, as she lamented to Gretchen when telling Gretchen she should tell Jimmy she had clinical depression. Paul is the archetypal "nice guy", who uses his outward kindness to manipulate and control. Dumping Amy to recommit to Lindsay is a great example: while we saw him and Amy as soul mates, he may have been way out of his comfort zone with someone who was so ostensibly perfect for him.

Actually, Jimmy and Gretchen know each other much better because at the beginning they told each other the truth about themselves because it wasn't ever going to matter (because no feelings, no commitment, no future). Not knowing Gretchen speaks Spanish is a detail; more profoundly, he knows what makes her laugh.

• Love 4
On 9/2/2016 at 8:30 PM, scrb said:

So that fictional service sent a ready to cook meal which required a lot of cutting?

She was just chopping mushrooms, Blue Apron doesn't do the prep work, it just gives you the ingredients and a recipe you still have to do the chopping and cooking.

I have watched all the episodes of this show, so it must be compelling to me on some level but mostly I hate-watch at this point.

The way Lindsay acts you'd think she was in an arranged marriage, or that some how she is using his money to support her impoverished family and can't back out... I literally don't understand how they can not know so much about each other. How did they behave when they were courting? Was Lindsay only bored of him after the wedding? Why did she have to drink through the wedding - why get married at all?

There seems to be no clear reason why they got married. How is any of either of their behaviours a surprise after this length of time?

Lindsey's sister makes her feel ugly and worthless. She was trying to beat Becca to the alter with Pau to give her some level of validation. And for most of the first season, she was a pretty good wife, putting up with all of Paul's hobbies and interests while burying her own except when with Gretchen. They were a pretty traditional couple for the first season. 

Something splintered late in the season that had Paul break up with her and say he wanted a divorce. She wasn't happy about it, but she'd never lived on her own -- she went from her parents to Paul -- like all of them, she really is just a kid. But in the end, Lindsey was ready to let him get on with his life until Becca, because she's fundamentally mean, told Paul she was pregnant and Paul went and pitched reconciliation to her. 

I think Linds is an easy villain on this show, because she's probably the most narcissistic of them, but she's also been the most sheltered and was just starting to explore before she turned up pregnant (and remember, the turkey baster didn't work. The post-breakup revenge sex pre-cum did, but you cna't condemn someone for post breakup revenge sex. It has been known to happen). 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, whiporee said:

Lindsey's sister makes her feel ugly and worthless. She was trying to beat Becca to the alter with Pau to give her some level of validation. And for most of the first season, she was a pretty good wife, putting up with all of Paul's hobbies and interests while burying her own except when with Gretchen. They were a pretty traditional couple for the first season.

Good wife?  I'm not sure I agree with that. I don't remember the first season in detail but we mostly got Lindsay's POV.  And that was she realized she was unhappy in her marriage.  She cheated on Paul.  We then saw her spend time with him mainly because she felt guilty for cheating.  After he left, she decided she wanted him back because guys like him don't leave her,  girls like her do the leaving. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

Didn't she also bang a delivery guy in his truck while she was married?  I don't think Lindsey is a villain, but I also don't think she is sheltered so much as spoiled and willfully ignorant to other people's feelings for the most part.

I don't know if he did. I mostly remember she was spiraling by the time of the first season finale - the party at the Barbara's house, and Paul saw her trying to kiss Jimmy... which ultimately led to him confessing he'd already started an emotional affair online with Amy.

Edited by arc