Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Grotesque

• Start Topic

I also do not think Nick's resourcefulness comes off as organic.  To me he seem like an entitled privilege kid, who thinks he can use his charm to manipulate a situation.  He seems to have a way with older women, who adopt him like a son.

A hated the preview where Madison is still obsessing about him.  He chose this path and does not want her in his life.

• Love 8
23 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

2 words for you, nachomama : Cheap Booze.  (Ten bucks for 1.75 liters of Potters vodka at grocery Outlet).  Still only drunk enough not to change the channel.

As for what's on Sundays?  Olympics Closing Ceremony.  BrainDead. The Night Of.  Motive.  Murder in the First.  Last Week Tonight.  Ray Donovan.  Vice Principals.  Roadies.  The Last Ship.  Deadline: Crime.  New Jersey ho'wives.  

Need I go on?  ...   ;-)

(As a non-viewer of this show I'm somewhat grateful you guys are still hanging in there, because I really enjoy reading the forums after an episode. That said, I wouldn't wish Roadies on anyone.)

• Love 4
1 minute ago, kieyra said:

(As a non-viewer of this show I'm somewhat grateful you guys are still hanging in there, because I really enjoy reading the forums after an episode. That said, I wouldn't wish Roadies on anyone.)

OK, I never said I was a discerning viewer - I am an admitted and unabashed TV slut-whore!  :-)

• Love 5

Okay - so this episode advanced the story... how?  Forty-five minutes of Nick wandering in the desert, only to arrive in TJ at the end.  Which means this happy group of survivors is going to die horribly before the end of this season.  So Nick can wander in the desert for days, walking over 100 miles with minimal food and water, and not only survive, but not even have a sunburn.  Epic.  Why were the dogs so nice and clean?  Why were there not more walkers at the traffic accident site?  Why was Batty Mary and her daughter living in a building with no doors or windows?  Why didn't Nick climb on TOP of the bus to sleep instead of on the ground where the dogs (and any other type of wild animal or reptile) or walkers could get him?  Where are all of the rattlesnakes and scorpions that should be out there?  The coyotes?  The flies? 

• Love 5

A hated the preview where Madison is still obsessing about him.  He chose this path and does not want her in his life.

But is it that weird for a mother to not forget all about her son, no matter what he chose? I can't view this as "obsessing," and think it would make far less sense if she never mentioned him again (I still think about my past pets every day and I didn't give birth to them!).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7

How about a tetanus shot? What about rabies? He was mauled by a wild dog and all he got was dabbed with a bit of what was probably just peroxide? What about some serious chap stick therapy? If he's that dehydrated he shouldn't be able to move? All pointless questions I know and I'm only hate watching at this point because nothing else is on but c'mon.

• Love 3

Olympics schmolympics. And almost all those other shows are premium cable channels which I also do not get. I have considered watching The Last Ship because Jayne Cobb is on there but I have revulsion of McSteamy. Can Cobb overcome McSteamy? I do tivo Brain Dead but I'm several behind.

Meanwhile, how stupid is Nick? Why not just take a car? Wasn't as backed up at Atlanta, and I know he somehow feels invincible but seriously, this kid is stupid.

• Love 2

Of all the characters to choose to focus on for an entire episode ... why Nick? He's like the human equivalent of a cockroach - a survivor that just won't die, with a disgusting appearance.  
They seem to be trying to show that Nick has 'layers' (the books, etc.), but he's only thinking about himself. Given the option of going with his family to help protect them, he opts for wandering off on his own. I'd be happy if none of the characters who decided to stay on their own never found each other again (tho I'm guessing they will.) 

We flipped back and forth between this and the Olympic's closing ceremony. As the episode went on - and it became obvious it was going to be all about Nick - we began to stay away for longer periods. It was pretty easy to piece together what we missed ... or rather, not care what we missed... 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 1

I hate to be mean, and take this as more of an observation than anything strictly personal, but no one on the couch or in the audience seemed to care too much about Hardwick's marriage. And why, oh why, does he have to treat Colman Domingo like the second-coming of Christ? Talk about unctuous.

i also think that after all the fan fair from TPTB at the start of the season, we seem to be minus "the last ship." Is it now the lost ship? Did the TPTB suddenly realize: Walkers don't swim. It's more like an uncontrolled float. We need some action. We need ground on which to shamble. And yet--

We're now in no man's land where there are more coyotes than Walkers. And we're in a country where, despite having lived in LA, none of our people speak the language. 

I think we're going to have more human baddies than walkers. (For knew thing, it's cheaper for the budget.)

but we go through the baddies pretty quick. What wa the guy on the dry-docked boat? I mean if that isn't Freudian. The big bad guy lives on a dry-docked boat and is a former chef. Yowzser, I'm scared. Next up: surly bellboys!

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

But is it that weird for a mother to not forget all about her son, no matter what he chose? I can't view this as "obsessing," and think it would make far less sense if she never mentioned him again (I still think about my past pets every day and I didn't give birth to them!).

A mother-- no. But the mother who lamely tried to get him in the truck when everything was burning, and then just watched him Madily (read: with no emotion at all) as they drove by, while he is walking in a zombie herd by choice, likely leaving him forever--yes.  ;)

Edited by morgankobi
  • Love 3

I do not get Nick, at all. Is he trying to find a place where they dont kill walkers because he wants to suicide and become a walker himself? I do not get why any rational human being would want to keep walkers "safe". I do not understand how Nick's hair isnt a nasty dread locked mess (I mean yes, its a nasty mess but it ought to be all tangled and locked up by now). I wish he had just fucking died in the middle of the desert, he sucks now. I used to like him but now ugh. I am hate watching this show.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, walnutqueen said:

2 words for you, nachomama : Cheap Booze.  (Ten bucks for 1.75 liters of Potters vodka at grocery Outlet).  Still only drunk enough not to change the channel.

As for what's on Sundays?  Olympics Closing Ceremony.  BrainDead. The Night Of.  Motive.  Murder in the First.  Last Week Tonight.  Ray Donovan.  Vice Principals.  Roadies.  The Last Ship.  Deadline: Crime.  New Jersey ho'wives.  

Need I go on?  ...   ;-)

The Strain season 3 premieres next week Sunday at 10 p.m. I am pretty hyped up about it.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, oakville said:

Why did  two of the three gang members decide to get out of the jeep & shoot at random walkers in the heard. Nick looked like a fool just shambling around with his friends. It looked like one ganster took off his sunglasses & was scared of Nick. There was no reason for him to just stand there & wait to be bitten. The other guy with the machine gun stood around as well. Why are these gansters so dumb? Surely by now, they would avoid herds of walkers or drive through them at a high rate of speed. There are too many plot holes in this episode.

This is where I lost it.  I asked my son; "why the hell didn't they just get in the jeep and leave?  Or back up?"...  It was almost bewildering how that went down.  The desert walkers shambled at about .5 MPH, I could have jogged backwards and left them in the dust...  Bizarre someone actually wrote that down in a script and someone else thought it was worth the expense.  I'm guessing these guys have zero budget.  It's the only thing that makes any sense...

Most boring hour of television. ever.  I was rooting for Nicks demise, that would have been a worthwhile payoff...  

The bigger question is; why am I still watching?  I honestly don't know.

Edited by ChipBach
misspelling
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, diebartdie said:

I do not get Nick, at all. Is he trying to find a place where they dont kill walkers because he wants to suicide and become a walker himself? I do not get why any rational human being would want to keep walkers "safe".

I'm guessing the point of the flashbacks was to show that Nick has some sort of high regard/love for the dead. Because, you know, his dad died. He is apparently the only person with a dead relative. Also, his GF was the first walker he ever saw, so that means walkers are sacred. I think he's supposed to be a grown up version of Lizzie. He sees the walkers are who they were, just in a different form. 

Also, Kim Dickens said something on TTD about how walking with the herd was another type "high" for Nick. THAT sounds a lot more plausible to me. But I don't think it's translating at all on the show.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, nachomama said:

do tivo Brain Dead but I'm several behind.

Brilliant and under-watched show.

8 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

The Strain season 3 premieres next week Sunday at 10 p.m. I am pretty hyped up about it.

If only I could catch up from the beginning  ... I mean, on my TeeVee, not my eleventy billion year old laptop with sketchy internet service/speed.  ;-)

• Love 1

Okay, I don't watch this show anymore so I know this is way off topic and all but I need to ask.  The Brain and The Strain sound like my kind of shows.  Are they any good?  I've been saving Sunday nights for streaming and just finished Penny Dreadful and before that Jericho.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, NurseGiGi said:

Okay, I don't watch this show anymore so I know this is way off topic and all but I need to ask.  The Brain and The Strain sound like my kind of shows.  Are they any good?  I've been saving Sunday nights for streaming and just finished Penny Dreadful and before that Jericho.

(I'm just a lurker and actually don't care for zombie shows except iZombie; I sort of ended up following FTWD because of Alycia D-C and Kim Dickens, but couldn't make it past the pilot. So with that in mind: I thought S1 of The Strain was really, really awful, but apparently some people are still into it. I had no idea it was still on the air. For genre shows, I'm more of a CW person (Supernatural, iZombie, the comic book stuff, etc), and imports like Being Human / Orphan Black. So I'm probably the wrong audience for The Strain anyway. Although I did make it all the way through all thousand seasons of True Blood.)

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, morgankobi said:

A mother-- no. But the mother who lamely tried to get him in the truck when everything was burning, and then just watched him Madily (read: with no emotion at all) as they drove by, while he is walking in a zombie herd by choice, likely leaving him forever--yes.  ;)

I cried more and harder dumping my kid off at the dorm for Freshman year last Friday than Madison did when Nick went to go it alone. She just has no connection to Nick or Alicia. Flat, boring acting. 

Is it me, but do you think that the writers are trying to show the genesis of a sociopath like the Governor or Neegan with Nick's storyline? He did smile when the dogs got taken down. We haven't seen that too many times. When the horse got taken down, Daryl and Aaron were upset, but realized that there was little that they could do, and there was no smiling. I think that if the show could illustrate how people just on the fringe of society, people who tend to not want to follow societal norms and rules and how this set of circumstances and their views on the world, could create a constellation in which the sociopath is created, then I think Nick is our candidate. The smile said a lot to me. I could see him being some kind of bizarre leader of Zombie worshipers that do something or other. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JackONeill said:

We're now in no man's land where there are more coyotes than Walkers. And we're in a country where, despite having lived in LA, none of our people speak the language.

Well, it was mentioned in the pilot I think that Alicia aced Spanish and could teach that class so there may be hope for them yet ;)

Wow, y'all are harsh on this show lol. Was I disappointed they decided to start the season with a solo-Nick episode? Yes. But I enjoyed it a lot more than some of the Walking Dead character centric episodes. I was a little bored at times but that's always the case with these types of episodes. That's why it was a bad move as a premiere but it was not bad per se imo.

Don't understand when people rag on the show for being the low budget copy but then when there is a different concept like not viewing the dead as monsters, people rag on that too. It's something new to explore...

I'm kinda waiting for this invincibility kick to bite Nick in the ass though. Have a feeling Nick or Chris is going to die in the finale.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, NurseGiGi said:

I'm also covering "The Strain" for Previously -- I think it's definitely a lot dumber in terms of plotting than FTWD or TWD, there's a lot of going in circles and characters doing the same thing over and over, but on the other hand, it takes itself a lot less seriously than either WD shows and is a lot more willing to be campy.  Definitely a guilty pleasure show. I've seen next week's premiere and it was more of the same and a lot of window dressing for the rest of this season, but you may find some of the characters more likeable than FTWD's.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Is it me, but do you think that the writers are trying to show the genesis of a sociopath like the Governor or Neegan with Nick's storyline? He did smile when the dogs got taken down. We haven't seen that too many times. When the horse got taken down, Daryl and Aaron were upset, but realized that there was little that they could do, and there was no smiling. I think that if the show could illustrate how people just on the fringe of society, people who tend to not want to follow societal norms and rules and how this set of circumstances and their views on the world, could create a constellation in which the sociopath is created, then I think Nick is our candidate. The smile said a lot to me. I could see him being some kind of bizarre leader of Zombie worshipers that do something or other. 

Litmus test: Does it sound like a really compelling topic to flesh-out and explore? (Say, like, the reactions to the start of this epidemic and the toll on humanity in the really early zombie days?)

Then, no, they aren't going to do that.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, morgankobi said:

Litmus test: Does it sound like a really compelling topic to flesh-out and explore? (Say, like, the reactions to the start of this epidemic and the toll on humanity in the really early zombie days?)

Then, no, they aren't going to do that.

I think that it could be a compelling topic. What else do they have to cover, since it is already too late to go back and show the fall directly after the infected started taking over. They already missed the boat on that one as has been discussed back in Season 1 thread. It was just a thought. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, morgankobi said:

I was being snarky ;)

If it's compelling then they won't do it, and that would very compelling. 

Yeah, they don't have the writing chops to do it. It's like as a non-comic reader, I always wondered how the Governor came into being. That made me think of the Nick story last night.  It's still better than Wayward Pines though. lol ;)

• Love 2

That's a fascinating idea, but I don't think they have the balls to make their 'anti-hero' Nick a bad guy. Feels more like he's on some big journey to becoming the best version of himself before he dies a hero or becomes the leader of the group. Would be a nice bait and switch though because everyone's been calling Chris the sociopath. Hmm, I could see goodguy!Travis becoming a governer type if he loses Chris.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I cried more and harder dumping my kid off at the dorm for Freshman year last Friday than Madison did when Nick went to go it alone. She just has no connection to Nick or Alicia. Flat, boring acting. 

I think if a wild maverick chased them and stomped them good, Daryl & Aaron might have smiled too.  Nick wasn't smiling at the take down of Lassie so I'll give him a break.

1 hour ago, CloudySky said:

Don't understand when people rag on the show for being the low budget copy but then when there is a different concept like not viewing the dead as monsters, people rag on that too. It's something new to explore...

It's not the concept that bothers me, it's the execution. Tedious, muddled, amateur. 

Also, it's not exactly a new concept, since we've already dealt with a little girl who named walkers. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Brilliant and under-watched show.

If only I could catch up from the beginning  ... I mean, on my TeeVee, not my eleventy billion year old laptop with sketchy internet service/speed.  ;-)

You should go the cheap route like I do; the public library. Great underutilized resource. The first season of The Strain was mediocre to bad and I gave up on it, but I always give these scifi/fantasy shows multiple chances. I enjoyed the second season much more. It is campy and kind of terrifying at times. The vampires are gross and no one would want to make out with them. It certainly doesn't take itself too seriously. Despite this, it has some talented actors and most of the characters are well drawn and interesting. You should watch it after FTWD next week.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

I think if a wild maverick chased them and stomped them good, Daryl & Aaron might have smiled too.  Nick wasn't smiling at the take down of Lassie so I'll give him a break.

I thought that he smiled when the dogs got swarmed and eaten. It was subtle, but there. They actually had a similar dog in their house and Madison was upset when that neighbor ate their dog, I thought that he might have a different type of expression than that based on having a family dog that looked similar. MMV

31 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

I thought that he smiled when the dogs got swarmed and eaten. It was subtle, but there. They actually had a similar dog in their house and Madison was upset when that neighbor ate their dog, I thought that he might have a different type of expression than that based on having a family dog that looked similar. MMV

He did smile when the dogs got eaten. But my point to the other poster was that the dogs had attacked him so I wouldn't equate his reaction to the reaction of Daryl & Aaron who were not the prey of the horse that was taken down.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I hate the concept of focusing on one character per episode and spending episode after episode following a different character through the same day/event. Its irritating. Also the cable literally went to colored bars during the big reveal of what happened to Nick's dad so no idea what the reveal was and it clearly wasn't that important

My TV went to colored bars too! (So Cal??)  I missed about 5 minutes but I am not in the mood to go back and watch it all On Demand with no FF button

57 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

It's not the concept that bothers me, it's the execution. Tedious, muddled, amateur. 

Also, it's not exactly a new concept, since we've already dealt with a little girl who named walkers. 

It's different because on TWD it was the girl and Hershel who were seen as delusional and 'in the wrong'. She was a stupid kid and he was a mourning old man who couldn't let go of his family. But the group showed them the way or dealt with them 'properly'.

In FTWD it's a whole belief system that entire communities live by. It's not 'wrong', it's just how they see it. I think Nick's turnaround and the whole arc at Celia's compound was way too abrupt. Everything happened so quickly but that seems to be the modus operandi for these shows. Nothing happens for the filler episodes and then shit goes down.

But I think they will be able to explore the characters more indepth in 2B and hopefully we'll become more invested in them. I've got my faves but I'll admit I'm still pretty indifferent on half the cast. I think the tediousness in TWD is easier to overlook when you're invested in the characters which isn't the case yet for FTWD.

As for Nick's smile...I think he smiled because the dead came through for him. He had a similar expression when they were going for the kill on the gangster. They're his 'protectors' and I suppose he feels vindicated in his beliefs.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

He did smile when the dogs got eaten. But my point to the other poster was that the dogs had attacked him so I wouldn't equate his reaction to the reaction of Daryl & Aaron who were not the prey of the horse that was taken down.

Sure, I guess you could see it that way. I am not really a dog person and even if a dog attacked me, which has happened in real life, I didn't smile when it was taken away by police, but felt more like relief that the torture was over. This was his acting choice and I am reading something different about it as it relates to his character than you are. I love cats, even if a cat attacked me, I would not smile and be happy that it got eaten by something. I likely would feel remorse or relief. I think his smiling relates to his character as a budding sociopath. We will see. I could be giving the writers too much credit and I have probably spent too much time thinking about it, than it warrants! lol

• Love 1
17 hours ago, JackONeill said:

If I see 10 walkers heading my way, okay, that's scary. But the I look the other way and I see miles of rolling (cactus filled) space.  Hell, I'd just out walk the suckers.

You may be able to outrun them for awhile but they don't tire.   And in a desert environment with few places to hide, I'd put money on a walker catching up to a human in the long run.

17 hours ago, oakville said:

Why was he walking with the dead?

Nick has always had a fascination with the dead.  There have been a few scenes where he looks like he's going to make out with a zombie.

4 hours ago, qtpye said:

I also do not think Nick's resourcefulness comes off as organic.  To me he seem like an entitled privilege kid, who thinks he can use his charm to manipulate a situation.  He seems to have a way with older women, who adopt him like a son.

Funny that you mention that Nick has a way with older women.  I was thinking the same thing last night.  Although, I feel every woman he comes in contact with seems to want to mother him (well all except bat lady).  

Speaking of bat lady, Nick really should've stood his ground rather than leaving his stuff.  He was able to withstand 4 or 5 hits from the bat so it wasn't like she was swinging with enough force to kill him.  I would've tried to take the bat from her.

• Love 4

OMG was that the worse episode of any show that I have ever watched! The title "Grotesque" really applies to the writing. Instead of improving this show continues its downhill slide to hell. I watch it now for the giggles not for whatever drama they are trying to produce. Sad so sad.

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Sure, I guess you could see it that way. I am not really a dog person and even if a dog attacked me, which has happened in real life, I didn't smile when it was taken away by police, but felt more like relief that the torture was over. This was his acting choice and I am reading something different about it as it relates to his character than you are. I love cats, even if a cat attacked me, I would not smile and be happy that it got eaten by something. I likely would feel remorse or relief. I think his smiling relates to his character as a budding sociopath. We will see. I could be giving the writers too much credit and I have probably spent too much time thinking about it, than it warrants! lol

I get what you're saying, however the cat in question needs to be a cougar or such to be equitable to those particular dogs. Even your most feisty (house cat sized) feline won't make a meal of you. If some feisty chihuahuas had gone after him, the smirk might have bothered me. 

Given the sleepy dad angst we just received, I think you're giving too much credit to the writers.  This doesn't bode well for Madison's backstory. I'm calling dibs now on an underwhelming story.

• Love 2

I'm surprised with all the hate here. I am glad that the show is back with so many shows on hiatus. I do think this show IS supposed to be slower paced than TWD, but yeah, this was a misstep.  I don't think any of the characters are beloved enough yet (ala the characters on TWD) to get the stand alone treatment. I could definitely have done without the dog eating and the piss drinking. Of course we know the new community won't be a haven for long but new blood in the show could be interesting. 

• Love 5
18 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

The most entertaining thing about all of this is Hardwick and the crew on the couch trying their damndest to convince us this was good television.

The only possibly entertaining thing...

Nerdposer Hardwick caught in his own miserable circle of hell. Fear The Walking Dead is undeniably a despicable and puerile pile of stupidity and depravity. But even watching Nerdposer having to keep it up is, at this point, way, way, way beyond tiresome.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, ChipBach said:

Most boring hour of television. ever.

I haven't seen the episode yet but I can't believe that's true.  I have after all seen other episodes of this particular show ;)

• Love 5
8 hours ago, ljenkins782 said:

What I THOUGHT it was going to be (and wish it had been) was a true filling in of the gaps in which we saw what had happened in a lot of those Atlanta locales that were featured in TWD. Like those long highways full of walker-filled cars, let's see the humans getting into those cars and how things unfolded to cause a zombie traffic jam. Or the prison or the towns they'd been in, etc. They had some interestingly positioned walkers on TWD through the years, a backstory on those might have been worth telling. 

I like your ideas.  I would watch that show.

• Love 2

Is there a thread strictly for comparing TWD and FTWD?  I think we're not supposed to talk too much about TWD here but I wonder how many people there are who are watching FTWD and have never seen TWD.   Maybe it would be easier to appreciate FTWD for what it is (if I knew what that was) if I weren't so familiar with the other show.

I feel as if FTWD represents the characters and scripts that were rejected for use on the other show, like bad first drafts or something that have been pulled out and dusted off to be filmed here.  Like maybe this Nick episode was originally written for Sophia after she got lost in the woods and they scratched it as too boring and unrealistic.  

I also think that enough cannot be said about how key TWD's first episode was to everything that's followed and how incredibly well done that episode was.  Maybe if Frank Darabont had been involved in the launch of FTWD I'd be saying the same thing about that show.

At least FTWD is making up for the relative lack of Hispanics on the mother show.  So there's that.  Hopefully the show isn't going to go too far into stranger in a strange land territory, though, with its depiction of Latin culture, as I don't think it's all that unusual.   But then I've lived mostly in places with large Hispanic populations for awhile now.

EDIT:  I see there is a thread for show comparisons, should have checked first!

Edited by Dodginblue

(De-lurking again to respond to previous post. I mentioned upthread that I followed two of the actresses to this show. I'd tried and failed with TWD. I couldn't make it much past the pilot of FTWD. No one makes rational choices, everyone seems to be on about four milligrams of Xanax at all times, and the showrunners seem to pick out the least interesting aspect of any scene or dynamic to focus on. So, yeah, going in blind didn't work for me, and I've been a fan of Kim Dickens for years. I'm only still following the subforum because some of y'all are hilarious.)

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 2

Funny that you mention that Nick has a way with older women.  I was thinking the same thing last night.  Although, I feel every woman he comes in contact with seems to want to mother him (well all except bat lady).  

Yes, it's true...every female regardless of age, wants to take care of Nick, cuz he is such a special snowflake.  I was so happy in the preview when Alicia ( I think that is the sister's name) finally said, "He CHOSE not to come with them to her hatchet faced mama".  In this world where people have lost their loved ones left and right, Nick could give two shits about the woman who raised him and a sister who probably lost out, because mommy was always obsessed with precious Nick.

I also hate that Madison makes excuses for Nick doing horrible stuff, but can't take a second to look after Chris, who has just lost his mother not too long ago.  I also hate what they did to Chris's character, probably because they thought that the actor playing Nick was going to be the teenage heart throb of the show.

• Love 1