Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E09: New York

I am an old school 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer' fan. I've been rewatching a lot lately and an episode stuck out. In it, there's a letterman's jacket with a spell on it and whichever man wears it becomes irresistible to women. No woman can refuse him and they will throw themselves at him nonstop.

Is 'The Fosters' filming on Buffy's old lot? Because Brandon Foster *must* be in possession of that jacket. No offence towards David Lambert because he's very lovely, but Brandon hasn't met a girl yet who doesn't succumb to his . . . uhm . . . mysterious leading manchild appeal? In this episode, Ari was all into him and likely would have gone there with him. Look at his track record: Talia, Callie, Dani, Lou, and Cortney. Did I forget anyone?

Maybe I'm naive, but I just don't buy it. Ari going for Brandon really drove it home to me that the writers are either living vicariously through his numerous sexcapades (and he's only 18!) or they genuinely think he's some kind of Casanova who makes panties drop by walking into a room.

• Love 5

Of course an 18-year-old can fly by himself. But I still think it's very normal to have a parent along for these types of trips. I didn't go by myself to my college orientation - my mom came along. 

And I bet your mom would have made sure you got a good night's sleep the night before your audition.

• Love 1

Of course an 18-year-old can fly by himself. But I still think it's very normal to have a parent along for these types of trips. I didn't go by myself to my college orientation - my mom came along. 

My nine year old has been flying cross-country to camp and back alone each summer for three years.  Children can begin flying solo at age five. A very close family friend owns the camp and we've been there before so no orientation was needed, but my son went alone on the plane to begin his first six-week stay and flew home alone afterwards. He's practically a pro now. No problems at all. I'm glad your mom accompanied you if that's what you wanted, but in my experience, that isn't the norm. I'm not saying your way is wrong, just that every experience is different. 

If Brandon had been going to tour Julliard then maybe he'd want a parent along for a second opinion but since he was there for an audition, it probably would have humiliated him to no end knowing that mama or papa was just outside or at a local hotel. He's been pushing hard to be treated like an adult and even though he's an incredibly immature prat ninety-eight percent of the time . . . he's still an adult who is trying to find a balance between man and child, irresponsible and responsible, independent and codependent. I think going alone showed him how much he doesn't need to constantly be in a romantic relationship to be fulfilled. He can do that for himself.

• Love 2

And boys are the same way with Mariana and girls are the same way with Jesus and tween aged boys and girls are both into Jude.

I think this is just the way Freeform shows are, teens meet people who they share a mutual attraction with.

I'll give them this, other than Wyatt, who Mariana did a one night thing with while drunk, they've, at least, mostly avoid love triangles within the main cast. Callie and Mariana aren't competing over boys and Brandon and Jesus aren't going after the same girls.

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Love 1

I'm glad your mom accompanied you if that's what you wanted, but in my experience, that isn't the norm. I'm not saying your way is wrong, just that every experience is different. 

My first year of college was in 2003.  I saw tons of parents at orientation and even while touring the school.  My friends who attended school in the East Coast also brought their parents to tour the school and to attend orientation.  It's actually quite common these days to bring your parents with you to tour colleges and go to orientation if you are 17-19 and just starting college for the first time. 

• Love 2

With the exception of Callie breaking and entering into a possible murderer's home, I enjoyed this episode a lot. Liked seeing the flashbacks (Little Jude!) and particularly liked Stef/Mike with Callie overhearing, Lena/Mariana and Jude/Noah getting caught smoking pot. I also liked Brandon at Lincoln Center but that is because I live down the street. 

AJ is a great guy - loved Mike referring to him as his son. I also liked the opening scene with all the kids bickering; it felt like a family. 

The Callie/B&E, detective threatening Stef and filing for divorce loophole all seemed too contrived to be good drama. 

• Love 2

I think it makes sense that Brandon went to New York alone. It's not a cheap flight, and a parent would need to get a hotel room (the school seemed to be putting Brandon up for the night). Even before the the house issue, a couple of hundred dollars wasn't money the family could easily spend.

i do think that if Brandon asked, someone would have come with him. 

• Love 1

I was a music major in college.  All the parents went to their kids auditions, it's not a tour and a short interview or something that really involves other kids at all, it's you alone in a recital hall (or a teachers studio in small schools or if you miss the national audition date).  It's a stressful time and parents are very invested in the situation because of how much money they've thrown into it already.

But really, Julliard as a Piano student really?  First, I doubt that Julliard accepts many 18 year old piano students at all, I would suspect that most would be younger prodigies.  Second, even if they do have a class of 18 year olds, piano performance majors do nothing but practice.  I didn't know a single one in college who wasn't really weird because of the five-six hours a day they spent alone in a room practicing.  You can't just practice here and there and get into Julliard for any instrument, certainly not the piano (which is by far the most competitive and difficult).  If he was entering as a composer then perhaps the story would be believable (being that he wrote an entire musical)

• Love 2