Type keyword(s) to search

A Little Help From My Friends: How Do YOU Do (A Healthier) You?

• Start Topic

On 7/27/2019 at 8:28 AM, TurtlePower said:

Thanks for the info and thanks everyone for the words of support. I was vegan for many years (beginning in middle school, then on and off), so I know a lot about it already but realize things are constantly improving with plant-based becoming a "thing".  I've done the vegan cheeses--Daiyya, Follow Your Heart, a couple others. Yves unfortunately has wheat product in it which is a no-no, or I might have given it a shot. When something new comes out, I usually try it if it's gluten-free. 

I've tried most meat substitutes and don't care for them. The latest try, last week, was "Beyond Meat" as a taco filler--it was terrible, even with spices. I wound up dumping it and making my own filler from diced, sautéed walnuts and mushrooms (which was actually amazing and which I plan to make again). My version of pizza is a super thin gf crust, sauce and veggies only. With the right spices, it turns out really good and low calorie, too. 

It has been awhile since you posted this but I agree about Beyond taco filler.  Horrid.  I liked Quorn and well, Impossible tastes JUST LIKE MEAT.    If you have a Gelson's near you they have it.

33 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

It has been awhile since you posted this but I agree about Beyond taco filler.  Horrid.  I liked Quorn and well, Impossible tastes JUST LIKE MEAT.    If you have a Gelson's near you they have it.

Yeah, I tried Beyond Meat crumbles in chili a couple of weeks ago. That was the nastiest stuff EVER. I swear it was like eating crumbled up pavement. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
On 11/20/2019 at 11:59 AM, TurtlePower said:

Wow! I used to do every days and sometimes twice-a-days when I was sub-elite. Sadly those days are behind me, I sure miss them (fractured the top of my femur 3 times so, just can’t keep that up any more). Hope you have a successful and healthy 2020, best of luck to you! 

Thank you. I'm going to need it. I've set aggressive goals.

15 hours ago, cherenkov said:

Thank you. I'm going to need it. I've set aggressive goals.

Regarding goals, I’m doing a full marathon this spring. It’ll be tricky being an older, lifelong runner (I started at age 12, now mid 40s). 2 back surgeries, the 3x fractured femur and numerous foot fractures later, I’ll need to be balance pushing limits and recovery time. 

Cant believe I’m even doing this. The half has been my “comfort distance”.  My goal is to be healthy enough to finish it in under 4 hours. 

• Love 6
7 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Cant believe I’m even doing this. The half has been my “comfort distance”.  My goal is to be healthy enough to finish it in under 4 hours. 

You'll get it done. You already know how to ramp up mileage in a sustainable way.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, cherenkov said:

You'll get it done. You already know how to ramp up mileage in a sustainable way.

Thanks! Yup, it means no more junk miles and more cross training days. My nutrition is already dialed in but I’m not even doing thanksgiving. I never liked it anyways and it’s too much work. 

On 11/27/2019 at 11:28 AM, TurtlePower said:

Regarding goals, I’m doing a full marathon this spring. It’ll be tricky being an older, lifelong runner (I started at age 12, now mid 40s). 2 back surgeries, the 3x fractured femur and numerous foot fractures later, I’ll need to be balance pushing limits and recovery time. 

Good Luck!  You can do it!!!

• Love 1
On 11/23/2019 at 5:19 PM, Natalie68 said:

beyond meat looks gross in the package.

• Love 1

I bought a Hanes “cozy bra” in the regular size area of Walmart and to get to a size “L” you have to be a 38 DD or a 40 in other cup sizes. In what universe is that right? And we wonder why there’s a weight problem when stuff is vanity sized to hell!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Uuuugghh said:

I bought a Hanes “cozy bra” in the regular size area of Walmart and to get to a size “L” you have to be a 38 DD or a 40 in other cup sizes. In what universe is that right? And we wonder why there’s a weight problem when stuff is vanity sized to hell!

I have a hard time finding small sizes there. I'm a 32/34 b and often times all I can find are sizes for big boobs, and ones for small boobs are all push-up (I don't want that). I'm stuck wearing sport bras a lot.

When did everyone's boobs get so big? 

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Uuuugghh said:

I say this all the time. I am 5'7" tall and 145 pounds. Being a full three inches taller than the average adult woman in America, and above the middle of the normal BMI range, there is no fucking way I should fit into a women's size small of any piece of clothing. Yet here I am, with a closet full of athletic gear (tights, shirts, bras) that are all smalls. Because of vanity sizing, everything else is too big.

1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

When did everyone's boobs get so big? 

Mine are tiny after losing weight. Little sport model boobs. I'm glad for that. Big ones are just a pain in the back. But yeah, finding bras small enough for me is a big problem. Even 32" bands measure more than 32" in most cases and they're too big for me. It is hard to find 30" band sizes anywhere. I don't know how truly small women deal with it.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, cherenkov said:

I say this all the time. I am 5'7" tall and 145 pounds. Being a full three inches taller than the average adult woman in America, and above the middle of the normal BMI range, there is no fucking way I should fit into a women's size small of any piece of clothing. Yet here I am, with a closet full of athletic gear (tights, shirts, bras) that are all smalls. Because of vanity sizing, everything else is too big.

Mine are tiny after losing weight. Little sport model boobs. I'm glad for that. Big ones are just a pain in the back. But yeah, finding bras small enough for me is a big problem. Even 32" bands measure more than 32" in most cases and they're too big for me. It is hard to find 30" band sizes anywhere. I don't know how truly small women deal with it.

If your bra band is 30" then a size small IS the right size for you.  You truly ARE  small. I know  that  it's  difficult to  get your head around  that fact, since you  used to be 300#. Chef Giada  de laurentiis--- whom anyone  would consider  tiny --- wears a 32 bra. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Colleenna said:

If your bra band is 30" then a size small IS the right size for you.  You truly ARE  small. I know  that  it's  difficult to  get your head around  that fact, since you  used to be 300#. Chef Giada  de laurentiis--- whom anyone  would consider  tiny --- wears a 32 bra. 

I agree. I don’t think a 36 or even 38 being a large is that much of vanity sizing either. A 32 is considered small so 36 or 38 as large seems about right. 

7 hours ago, Colleenna said:

The problem is they are not actually 32 inches. Oh sure, brands will call it a 32. Then you take it home and use a tape and it measures closer to 36.

A small having a waist size that's 28" and actually measures 30" is also not small. Where does a 5'0" tall 100 pound woman shop? The children's department?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Thank you. I’m a quite large (for me, not whit size) and there is zero percent I should be a medium in anything. I can even wear banana republic mediums when I should be an xl in reality. I know for sure the clothes in a size medium from that store from when I was younger/much much thinner would not even fit over my chest or hips at this point. 

Edited by Uuuugghh
Spelling
2 hours ago, cherenkov said:

The problem is they are not actually 32 inches. Oh sure, brands will call it a 32. Then you take it home and use a tape and it measures closer to 36.

In my experience, it's usually the other way around.  I just went and measured a bunch of my bras, in different brands, some brand new and some worn, and even though they are all supposedly a size 38, none of them measures more than 32" even when stretched.  I think the problem is also that nothing is standardized anymore.  Sizes are all over the map from brand to brand and even within the same brand.  It's a nightmare anymore.  Of course, I'm comparing this to the way things were 30, 40 years ago.

2 hours ago, cherenkov said:

A small having a waist size that's 28" and actually measures 30" is also not small. Where does a 5'0" tall 100 pound woman shop? The children's department?

Actually, I would suggest petite sizes.  Right now I shop in petite sizes, which is probably the size range that would fit you best.  Unfortunately they're not as easy to find as they once were.  Gone are the days of the mall store "Petite Sophisticate", where I bought a lot of stuff back in the day.  Talbots still carries petites and goes down to size XXS and 0 too.  My good friend is 4'11" and probably weighs less than 100 lbs. and she wears Talbots petites.  So it's out there, you just have to look for it.  Macy's and Kohls still carry a decent amount of petite clothing as does JC Penney.  Nordstrom and Lord & Taylor do too.  I am a shopper from way back, LOL.

I'm actually noticing more teeny tiny sizes in the stores than I did for a while.  Some brands have extended sizes in both directions, like the big jean brands.  Some brands and stores that cater to younger women  go way down to XXS.  I see them all the time.  I am almost 5'2" tall and was around 100 lbs for a long time and back in the day before the mid '80s there wasn't even such a thing as petite sizes.  Back then I used to find more clothes to fit me in junior sizes than in misses sizes, although the arms and legs always needed altering. 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

In my experience, it's usually the other way around.  I just went and measured a bunch of my bras, in different brands, some brand new and some worn, and even though they are all supposedly a size 38, none of them measures more than 32" even when stretched.  I think the problem is also that nothing is standardized anymore.  Sizes are all over the map from brand to brand and even within the same brand.  It's a nightmare anymore.  Of course, I'm comparing this to the way things were 30, 40 years ago.

Actually, I would suggest petite sizes.  Right now I shop in petite sizes, which is probably the size range that would fit you best.  Unfortunately they're not as easy to find as they once were.  Gone are the days of the mall store "Petite Sophisticate", where I bought a lot of stuff back in the day.  Talbots still carries petites and goes down to size XXS and 0 too.  My good friend is 4'11" and probably weighs less than 100 lbs. and she wears Talbots petites.  So it's out there, you just have to look for it.  Macy's and Kohls still carry a decent amount of petite clothing as does JC Penney.  Nordstrom and Lord & Taylor do too.  I am a shopper from way back, LOL.

I'm actually noticing more teeny tiny sizes in the stores than I did for a while.  Some brands have extended sizes in both directions, like the big jean brands.  Some brands and stores that cater to younger women  go way down to XXS.  I see them all the time.  I am almost 5'2" tall and was around 100 lbs for a long time and back in the day before the mid '80s there wasn't even such a thing as petite sizes.  Back then I used to find more clothes to fit me in junior sizes than in misses sizes, although the arms and legs always needed altering. 

Only problem with this is that @cherenkov isn't  petite. At 5'7"  she's  slightly taller than  average. 

LOL, with having had breast cancer, previously 36D, double mastectomy, no reconstruction, I haven't worn a bra in 6+ years and it is so freeing! I'm 70 so maybe  that figures into the picture, but even before I was a braless gal. Child of the 6o's I guess...

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Only problem with this is that @cherenkov isn't  petite. At 5'7"  she's  slightly taller than  average. 

Ack, she asked where a 5' tall 100 lb. woman shops so I took her literally!  Oh well...At least I answered her question!

Edited by Yeah No
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

LOL, with having had breast cancer, previously 36D, double mastectomy, no reconstruction, I haven't worn a bra in 6+ years and it is so freeing! I'm 70 so maybe  that figures into the picture, but even before I was a braless gal. Child of the 6o's I guess...

I hate bras too @Gramto6. I was blessed with small breasts —even when breastfeeding they didn’t get much larger—and I typically wear tanks with shelf bras built in, or if the outfit allows it, nothing at all. I cannot stand the feeling of being constricted in that way. Congratulations, BTW, on being a badass survivor!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Uuuugghh said:

There’s an interesting article by the WSJ on the craziness of sizing.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/its-not-you-clothing-sizes-are-broken-11576501384

True that. I bought I tee at Walmart.  I knew I had  lost weight, so instead of  my previous 2X, I bought  an XL. Got it home and it was ridiculously  large.  So I went back to the store and  exchanged it for a  L. Got it home and IT was too large, too. I'm  sorry, but I'm  a 42G. In what universe is that a Medium? 

ETA: I also have  swimmer's  shoulders and a broad back. 

Edited by Colleenna
Additional information
  • Love 1
On 12/16/2019 at 8:52 AM, Yeah No said:

Ack, she asked where a 5' tall 100 lb. woman shops so I took her literally!  Oh well...At least I answered her question!

I said that because if I can't find clothes that fit me and aren't children's (and sometimes I do fit into youth large t-shirts and hoodies), I don't know where an actually average size or smaller woman finds clothes that fit.

On 12/16/2019 at 1:38 AM, Gramto6 said:

Even with small boobs I'd have a really hard time working out without a bra. There are a few brands of sports bras that are actually straight sized (Brooks is one of them) but I bought a Running Girl bra and a small is too big.

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, cherenkov said:

I said that because if I can't find clothes that fit me and aren't children's (and sometimes I do fit into youth large t-shirts and hoodies), I don't know where an actually average size or smaller woman finds clothes that fit.

Even with small boobs I'd have a really hard time working out without a bra. There are a few brands of sports bras that are actually straight sized (Brooks is one of them) but I bought a Running Girl bra and a small is too big.

Just for shitzngiggles I  checked out fabletics.  Talk about  vanity sizes!  In that line, you'd  take an XXS.... 

5 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Just for shitzngiggles I  checked out fabletics.  Talk about  vanity sizes!  In that line, you'd  take an XXS.... 

I have to assume that the ones Kate Hudson wears are actually one-off samples which are made specifically for her, then. Not that it would be unusual - brands that have a celebrity face very frequently have a floor ready sample produced specifically for the celebrity - so having it made to her measurements wouldn't be unheard of.

So even though my family was careful and I was careful, I somehow got gluten contamination and spent hours on the toilet and in pain. I didn’t even go with them when they went out to eat (not worth the risk for a celiac).

This illness sucks sometimes. It forces a person to exclude themselves from things by necessity. It can be as simple as a utensil coming into contact with something that has gluten, and there it is, cross contamination and there I am, sick for hours (and days to weeks to fully recover). 

Feeling well enough today to get some running in and figure out how to manage this outside my own home. 

• Love 1
On 12/24/2019 at 8:42 AM, cherenkov said:

Ten days ago was my last race of 2019, so I decided to take a picture with all the medals.

7333B3A2-B0A8-4ABA-A6FD-67306F113F2A_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.e6aaa8c40bf58b26ad707624b6610ea5.jpeg

It was a good year, and I'm excited to start work on the 2020 picture.

In the nicest way, this is a totally badass picture.  You’re a real inspiration to keep active.  Were you always a runner and which was your most difficult race?

18 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

So even though my family was careful and I was careful, I somehow got gluten contamination and spent hours on the toilet and in pain. I didn’t even go with them when they went out to eat (not worth the risk for a celiac).

This illness sucks sometimes. It forces a person to exclude themselves from things by necessity. It can be as simple as a utensil coming into contact with something that has gluten, and there it is, cross contamination and there I am, sick for hours (and days to weeks to fully recover). 

Feeling well enough today to get some running in and figure out how to manage this outside my own home. 

Hope you are feeling better soon.  Sorry you were in such pain.

On 12/24/2019 at 8:42 AM, cherenkov said:

Ten days ago was my last race of 2019, so I decided to take a picture with all the medals.

7333B3A2-B0A8-4ABA-A6FD-67306F113F2A_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.e6aaa8c40bf58b26ad707624b6610ea5.jpeg

It was a good year, and I'm excited to start work on the 2020 picture.

@cherenkov You've  mentioned  in the past that you used to be  300 lbs. What motivated you to  lose weight and  become a  runner? Was it a health issue? A sudden  attack of  self-esteem? I don't  mean to be nebby, just curious.  

Good news! I just got the call from my surgeon and we're finally setting up the date for my surgury! Right now I'm scheduled for the end of January, but I'm trying to push it to the following week, which will be easier with my work schedule. I'm already booked for my pre-op testing and my clearance appointment, so everything is nearly in place.

Mom did her surgery last week and is recovering well and already starting to lose weight. This is, hopefully, going to be the start of a wonderful new life for us. 

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

Good news! I just got the call from my surgeon and we're finally setting up the date for my surgury! Right now I'm scheduled for the end of January, but I'm trying to push it to the following week, which will be easier with my work schedule. I'm already booked for my pre-op testing and my clearance appointment, so everything is nearly in place.

Mom did her surgery last week and is recovering well and already starting to lose weight. This is, hopefully, going to be the start of a wonderful new life for us. 

Good thoughts to you 🙂

2 hours ago, Irate Panda said:

In the nicest way, this is a totally badass picture.  You’re a real inspiration to keep active.  Were you always a runner and which was your most difficult race?

I was not always a runner. I didn't even think of becoming any sort of athlete until I was 37 years old. At that point I had lost a hundred pounds (or slightly more because I don't know what exactly my highest weight was) and after a lot of nagging I signed up for a 5K. The hardest race I ever started was the Rock N The Knob Marathon - and it's the only DNF on my record. I was late for the 20 mile cut off time. The hardest race I ever finished was the Ironman 70.3. My feet were bleeding when I crossed the finish line.

1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

@cherenkov You've  mentioned  in the past that you used to be  300 lbs. What motivated you to  lose weight and  become a  runner? Was it a health issue? A sudden  attack of  self-esteem? I don't  mean to be nebby, just curious.  

I had this unshakeable thought in my head that I was going to die before I was 40 and the last words I ever heard would be "Get the extra wide stretcher." I couldn't deal with the shame of that, so one morning I woke up, downloaded MyFitnessPal, bought a food scale, and never looked back.

Running came later, along with lifting, rock climbing, obstacle course racing, triathlons and rucking. The feeling of completing something hard is really amazing and I'm constantly chasing that now.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, cherenkov said:

I was not always a runner. I didn't even think of becoming any sort of athlete until I was 37 years old. At that point I had lost a hundred pounds (or slightly more because I don't know what exactly my highest weight was) and after a lot of nagging I signed up for a 5K. The hardest race I ever started was the Rock N The Knob Marathon - and it's the only DNF on my record. I was late for the 20 mile cut off time. The hardest race I ever finished was the Ironman 70.3. My feet were bleeding when I crossed the finish line.

I had this unshakeable thought in my head that I was going to die before I was 40 and the last words I ever heard would be "Get the extra wide stretcher." I couldn't deal with the shame of that, so one morning I woke up, downloaded MyFitnessPal, bought a food scale, and never looked back.

Running came later, along with lifting, rock climbing, obstacle course racing, triathlons and rucking. The feeling of completing something hard is really amazing and I'm constantly chasing that now.

Totally  awesome.  May you never have another  DNF. Best of luck in all your 2020 challenges. 

Well yes, cherenkov, I actually DO shop the kids department! I'm 5'0 and weigh 90 pounds.  BUT I'm 65 years old! (my parents were tiny people)  The best fitting size I wear these days is girls slim 14.  Sometimes 16's are ok.  I wear scrubs every day and really have had to look high and low for makers of XXS stuff.    

There's always the good seamstress that helps with my dressy stuff.  

Just now, goofygirl said:

Well yes, cherenkov, I actually DO shop the kids department! I'm 5'0 and weigh 90 pounds.  BUT I'm 65 years old! (my parents were tiny people)  The best fitting size I wear these days is girls slim 14.  Sometimes 16's are ok.  I wear scrubs every day and really have had to look high and low for makers of XXS stuff.    

There's always the good seamstress that helps with my dressy stuff.  

And yet all we ever hear about is how stores don't carry size 6XL.

It's got to be quite a challenge for you.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

On 12/27/2019 at 9:47 AM, Hana Chan said:

Good thoughts coming your way for a successful surgery and speedy recovery!

Edited by Gramto6
quoted too much
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

Anybody who drinks sparkling water, can you recommend your favorite brand citrus flavors.   I’ve given up sodas and miss the fizz. Thanks!

I’ve been buying S.Pellegrino Essenza Flavored Mineral Water variety packs at Costco...it has Lemon, Cherry-Pomegranate, and Tangerine-Wild Strawberry. I like that the cans are 11 oz. - Not too big 🙂 Available at Amazon too.

• Love 1

My kiddos gave me a Sodastream for Christmas because I drink A LOT of sparkling water. We have citrus trees on our property so I'll put a squeeze of lemon or orange in the bottom of the glass then the fizzy water. Works for me so far. We'll see how long the cartridge lasts because I like it extra bubbly!

I'm looking into flavor drops. They gave me a variety pack from Stur. It has Stevia as an ingredient, which I don't mind but some people avoid.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, amacmom said:

My kiddos gave me a Sodastream for Christmas because I drink A LOT of sparkling water. We have citrus trees on our property so I'll put a squeeze of lemon or orange in the bottom of the glass then the fizzy water. Works for me so far. We'll see how long the cartridge lasts because I like it extra bubbly!

I'm looking into flavor drops. They gave me a variety pack from Stur. It has Stevia as an ingredient, which I don't mind but some people avoid.

Soda stream only allows it to get to a certain bubbly-ness before it offgasses to avoid over-pressurization. 

I need to lose weight this year. I'm 4ft11in tall, with a wide skeleton - broad shoulders, hips, knees and feet (so I'll always have a big butt and chunky legs). But I'm about 3 stones overweight (42lbs). Or at least I was before Christmas.

I went to the States for Christmas and New Year, staying with friends. I got a horrible stomach bug from 23-27 December (yeah, I know). The day after I got home, 5 January, I came down with a flu-type bug (probably from the air on the plane). More than two weeks on, it's just about on its last legs.

Because I'd been away, my fridge was empty, and I had no Christmas treats that I had to finish. I'd been to the supermarket on the day I got back and so the fridge was filled with healthy vegan food (I've been plant-based for over two years), and I'd made a big pot of soup. The flu meant I had little appetite for anything other than soup, and so I've lost 12lbs already. Probably not the healthiest way to lose it, but I feel I've kick-started my diet, and my stomach has also shrunk. I tend to eat too-large portions, so I'm going to try to stick to smaller plates to trick the eye and help me to stay on track.

It's quite easy to be a fat vegan - in the UK at any rate. In the last year, there's been a massive surge in vegan food in the supermarkets and bakeries. Before I was vegan, I never used to eat junk food, yet I found myself trying every new launch of the next new vegan burger, sausage roll, pie, cake, ice cream, etc. It's not been good for my waistline. So I intend to eat clean this year, and stay away from processed food. I like to cook and have an Instant Pot too, so I have no excuse to not make good food for myself.

12lbs down, 30 to go!

• Love 7