Type keyword(s) to search

A Little Help From My Friends: How Do YOU Do (A Healthier) You?

• Start Topic

Runnergirl,

I am much the same way.  I started watching this show for the same reason.  Plus, I live in NC, only a couple of hours drive from Greensboro, in Raleigh, NC.  I have rooted for Whit since day one.  She is frustrating.  It really brings home to me that obesity is a mental illness, though, I don't think Whit agrees with that.  I do still hope that something happens to get her attention.  To me, she has some good qualities, but, seems very restricted due to her weight.  Her refusal to acknowledge that she really needs help is the most frustrating.  She has a personal trainer, access to the best equipment, flexible schedule to work out, money for nutritious food, etc.  But, she just squanders it.  So sad.

This evening I had a chicken burger without the bun, 1/2 of a small sweet potato, and a cup of mixed veggies (broccoli. cauliflower and carrots.)  I roasted some fresh garlic, but, it wasn't very tasty.  I really enjoyed my  meal, but, felt hungry right after I ate.  I wonder if it's a chemical or something causing that.  I don't think that I should still be hungry.  Maybe, it's all in my head. lol  Later, I'm going to have my snack of fat free yogurt with a few drops of lemon juice. 

What do you typically eat when working out or training? How do you feel about low carb? Do you favor a plant based program?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

This evening I had a chicken burger without the bun, 1/2 of a small sweet potato, and a cup of mixed veggies (broccoli. cauliflower and carrots.)  I roasted some fresh garlic, but, it wasn't very tasty.  I really enjoyed my  meal, but, felt hungry right after I ate.  I wonder if it's a chemical or something causing that.  I don't think that I should still be hungry.

I find that if I eat really low fat, I am starving all the time. You had a great meal nutritionally but you might want to add some fat, maybe putting butter or olive oil on the veggies or sweet potato, just so you feel more full :) Some folks feel full on fiber, or protein, but for others only fat will do!

• Love 4
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Runnergirl,

I am much the same way.  I started watching this show for the same reason.  Plus, I live in NC, only a couple of hours drive from Greensboro, in Raleigh, NC.  I have rooted for Whit since day one.  She is frustrating.  It really brings home to me that obesity is a mental illness, though, I don't think Whit agrees with that.  I do still hope that something happens to get her attention.  To me, she has some good qualities, but, seems very restricted due to her weight.  Her refusal to acknowledge that she really needs help is the most frustrating.  She has a personal trainer, access to the best equipment, flexible schedule to work out, money for nutritious food, etc.  But, she just squanders it.  So sad.

This evening I had a chicken burger without the bun, 1/2 of a small sweet potato, and a cup of mixed veggies (broccoli. cauliflower and carrots.)  I roasted some fresh garlic, but, it wasn't very tasty.  I really enjoyed my  meal, but, felt hungry right after I ate.  I wonder if it's a chemical or something causing that.  I don't think that I should still be hungry.  Maybe, it's all in my head. lol  Later, I'm going to have my snack of fat free yogurt with a few drops of lemon juice. 

What do you typically eat when working out or training? How do you feel about low carb? Do you favor a plant based program?

Mostly plant based balanced with lean protein--if I have time it's grilled chicken, if not it's Fage 0% yogurt. I usually don't eat anything before a run unless it's going to be longer than 90 minutes, even if I'm hungry. When I get back I might have a boiled egg or a cup of yogurt. Lunch is usually salad. Dinner is protein and stir fry greens like asparagus, chard, broccoli etc. I mostly drink sparkling water with some leftover allowance for wine of course :).

How do I feel about low carb? Whatever works for people. Everyone is different--what works for me might not work for someone else. My diet is very intuitive; if one day I'm craving protein, I'll make a bunch of egg whites or extra chicken. If it's carbs, it might be a baked potato (contrary to popular belief, potatoes are not evil until they're smothered with butter and sour cream). And I don't mind feeling hungry. The hungrier I am, the healthier my choices will be (I know, the opposite of most people). I never eat until full, only until no longer hungry.

It takes time to figure out the right formula and the formula may change based on what one is doing. 

Edit: Wanted to add this for those who do meal replacement shakes, interesting info on comparisons of some of the better ones. I like Isagenix as it's the least sweet tasting.

http://www.thecookandthecoach.com/blog/meal-replacement-shake-comparison-an-unbiased-look-at-the-most-popular-shakes-on-the-market

Edited by Runnergirl
  • Love 1

I posted in one of the other threads what a waste of time Whitney's workouts with Will are if she doesn't change her eating habits. 

That post was really a note to self. I am something of a gym rat and everyone on the job admires my dedication. They are so jealous of how hardcore I am, hitting the gym early am for spin classes or to work with a trainer. "Oh Brooklynista, it's amazing the way you prep your lunch and breakfast for the week. 

Yup.

What they don't see are how I dive bomb on the snack table my husband keeps when I get home or my weekend diner pancakes. The 2nd breakfasts. Oh how I love 2nd breakfast! I sabotage myself every night and get angry at my lack of progress every week. I know I'm doing it. I soothe myself with the compliments because I'm nicely put together. The 150lbs are in all the right places, but I know this weight is wrong for me. 

My trainer tells me all the time "weekends have to count, dinner has to count". I'm doing myself no favors eating lean 9-5 Mon thru  Fri and then going nuts evenings and weekends. 

Wow. Sorry for the ramble. Summer is coming and I don't want to be that angry girl on the beach again.

• Love 8

Oh yes.....I can relate to the PM snacking. It's my number one problem right now.  That's always been my struggle. Years ago, I dealt with hunger pretty well.  During some of my thinnest years, I ate anything I wanted, but.....I had very limited portions.  Friends fought to sit next to me at restaurants, because I would take a bite or two of my pasta, desert, steak, etc, and leave it alone. I did that for years and stayed pretty thin. Then, I changed, but, basically, I tried to order more carefully when eating out and at meals at home, but, I ate more.  However, it's evening snacking that bothers me now. I try to watch calories and have cut out what I consider wasted calories.  I don't drink alcohol anymore, except on special occasions, dining out, etc.  But, no more than one glass of wine per month.  But, it's snacking in the PM that gets me.  I now think it's a combination of actually feeling hungry AND habit.  

Yesterday, I had a.m.: 2 eggs, 1 piece whole toast; noon: garden salad with  small portion of chicken breast-no dressing, dinner: broiled salmon filet, broiled cauliflower, green beans, and 1/4 cup brown rice, with a little olive oil for flavor.   For evening snack I had a bag of Skinny Girl popcorn.  (Struggling with the nutritional content, but, from what I gather is 25 calories per popped cup and there are 2 cups popped in each bag. I measured.  So 50 calories total.  Has anyone read the box on this? It's very confusing. ) Even after that I was still hungry OR I thought. So, later I had a 80 calorie cup of yogurt.  I know I don't need two evening snacks. 

I think that I have to get to a point where I am comfortable feeling a little hungry at night, fokay watching tv a little hungry and okay going to bed a little hungry.  I've read that perhaps I need to modify my food plan to include a little more fat or a few more carbs to help me feel satisfied. Maybe, that will help.  

What's so ironic, is that when I am busy with a project at work or even a home project, or shopping, I sometimes forget to eat.  I will just push through and not eat all day, as I don't want to take the time, even going to bed without eating.  So, if I can do it then, I can do it on a regular basis. 

• Love 1

Oh yes.....I can relate to the PM snacking. It's my number one problem right now.  That's always been my struggle. Years ago, I dealt with hunger pretty well.  During some of my thinnest years, I ate anything I wanted, but.....I had very limited portions.  Friends fought to sit next to me at restaurants, because I would take a bite or two of my pasta, desert, steak, etc, and leave it alone. I did that for years and stayed pretty thin. Then, I changed, but, basically, I tried to order more carefully when eating out and at meals at home, but, I ate more.  However, it's evening snacking that bothers me now. I try to watch calories and have cut out what I consider wasted calories.  I don't drink alcohol anymore, except on special occasions, dining out, etc.  But, no more than one glass of wine per month.  But, it's snacking in the PM that gets me.  I now think it's a combination of actually feeling hungry AND habit.  

Yesterday, I had a.m.: 2 eggs, 1 piece whole toast; noon: garden salad with  small portion of chicken breast-no dressing, dinner: broiled salmon filet, broiled cauliflower, green beans, and 1/4 cup brown rice, with a little olive oil for flavor.   For evening snack I had a bag of Skinny Girl popcorn.  (Struggling with the nutritional content, but, from what I gather is 25 calories per popped cup and there are 2 cups popped in each bag. I measured.  So 50 calories total.  Has anyone read the box on this? It's very confusing. ) Even after that I was still hungry OR I thought. So, later I had a 80 calorie cup of yogurt.  I know I don't need two evening snacks. 

I think that I have to get to a point where I am comfortable feeling a little hungry at night, fokay watching tv a little hungry and okay going to bed a little hungry.  I've read that perhaps I need to modify my food plan to include a little more fat or a few more carbs to help me feel satisfied. Maybe, that will help.  

What's so ironic, is that when I am busy with a project at work or even a home project, or shopping, I sometimes forget to eat.  I will just push through and not eat all day, as I don't want to take the time, even going to bed without eating.  So, if I can do it then, I can do it on a regular basis. 

Some vitamins are fat soluble, too. The healthy fats help you feel satisfied and absorb the nutrients. 

I get hungry at night too sometimes and try not to go to bed hungry--I'll have protein and try to get to bed early but, sometimes I want more. Went for a barely-ripe banana at 0300 this am after I'd had grilled salmon for dinner. 

How much do you think is in a person's DNA. with regard to body weight, size,. etc?  I'm shorter than both of my parents.  My dad is tall and thin and always has been.  My mom has struggled with weight and dieted most of her life, though, she's never been morbidly obese.  

• Love 1
On 2/19/2017 at 0:38 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

How much do you think is in a person's DNA. with regard to body weight, size,. etc?  I'm shorter than both of my parents.  My dad is tall and thin and always has been.  My mom has struggled with weight and dieted most of her life, though, she's never been morbidly obese.  

There are enough studies to support the idea that genetics plays a role but that doesn't mean it's one's destiny. It just might be harder, which can feel discouraging. 

I suppose.  What's so odd is that my mom's parents and both sets of her grandparents were small to average size people.  They were thin to average in size and weight.  I'm not sure where she got her tendency to be heavy.  She's had to fight weight most of her life.  Then on my dad's side, he, his parents, grandparents and siblings are all tall, but slim to average, except for one large brother. who was large, but not fat.   My two brothers were super skinny as teens, but now as adults have to really watch diet and exercise to keep weight down. It's odd.  

Whit looks like both of her parents are average size people, as is her brother.  And, while she says she worried about weight as a child, she appeared to look pretty normal size, until she got into college. 

On 2/19/2017 at 0:54 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Hi @SunnyBeBe, you sound like me in terms of what you eat and having an after dinner snacking issue.  I conquered it eventually.  I started by substituting healthy snacks like carrots or an apple when I absolutely HAD to have something because I was hungry.  I eventually got to the point where I could pretty much eliminate it altogether without much conscious effort.  I won't lie - it did take conscious effort in the beginning. 

One thing I think helps is that I eat carbs strategically now.  I don't try too hard to eliminate them because I find it sabotages me in the end.  I was on an online healthy eating plan for a while and my nutritionist (who was reading my daily food tracker) commented on the half bagel with cream cheese I tended to have a few times a week as it stuck out like a sore thumb in what was otherwise a pretty healthy menu.  I told her that this half bagel was so satisfying that it kept me away from even worse things later in the day, and it was actually a strategy for me to keep it in my diet.  I lost 20 lbs. altogether without giving up that half bagel!  Noting that I was making progress, she never mentioned the bagel again except to suggest that I switch to a whole grain bagel, which I did.  Whatever works, right?  :)

My problem right now is that since losing that 20 lbs. from July through November, I have plateaued.  I admit I haven't been pushing as hard as I was for a while.  I tend to find it hard to lose weight in the cold weather so I am happy just maintaining.  In the past my pattern was to gain 5-10 lbs. between January and April.  It wasn't even the holidays that made me gain weight!  I find that in the winter months I am more sedentary and probably sneak in a few more carbs than in the summer months.  Somehow I find salads less appealing in the Winter although I still eat them regularly.  I am just thrilled that I haven't gained anything and hope to become more active and less carb-y come Spring.  It doesn't help that I tore a ligament in my right knee (meniscus) - don't have a clue how that happened although I was doing a LOT of walking in the Fall which might have contributed.  So I was effectively down for the count for a couple of months after that.

I am post menopausal and the women on my mother's side tend to become obese after "the change".  I am not as heavy as any of them were at my age but I still have (ideally) 50 lbs. to lose before I will be happy with my weight, although I will be thrilled with losing another 20 at this point.

• Love 2

Snarklepuss, thanks for sharing your story.  I'm willing to be flexible as I figure this thing out.  I know this is a lifestyle change for me and not a diet, so it needs to work for me long term.  I agree about making exceptions for things that you know will work, like the one-half bagel.  I'm not a bagel person, but, I can see doing that with something else.  I have no issue being moderate or even low on my carbs, but, not super low. That won't work for me long term.  Plus, I have to count my carbs, because I take insulin. (2 kinds, long acting and fast acting.) (I'm a Type I diabetic.) This complicates things too, because, insulin makes you gain weight.  My endocrinologist confirms this. So, the less insulin that I take the better, if it maintains my blood sugar levels.  With Type I, no amount of diet or exercise will lower the blood sugar, as the pancreas does not function properly.  

I stopped the evening popcorn, though, technically, I could have it.  I've been using points, like from Weight Watchers. My mom has the point book and I've gone by that.  I do limit my fruit to 2 per day though.  I have been very focused on preparing my food for over two weeks and this morning I had gained 1 pound!  lol  I had planned to weigh when my underwear felt larger and it did so I weighed on Monday. Today, I had gained a pound. lol  Talk about feeling deflated. Oh well....I'm going to revisit my plan, log the calories, activity, and keep going.  It's almost funny, because I have cut out all chips, cookies, ice cream, cake, pie, fried food, etc. I now eat mainly low carb veggies, lean protein like, egg whites, low fat yogurt, tuna, chicken breast, turkey breast.  I cut out all cheese, as it's not something that I really care for. Only carbs have been in veggies, like cauliflower, whole wheat toast (no butter), brown rice (limited).  Lots of veggie salads, with only a sprinkle of olive oil with some lemon juice. (No bottled dressing.)  

I need to increase my movement, though, I have done some walking lately and it didn't bother my back or foot.  Due to a back injury that really flared up in Sept., I have some limitations.  My doctor said that running and walking were not for me.  So, I have to join a gym that has a pool and other equipment.  I'm looking into that now.  I thought that my health ins would cover it, but, they have a list of select gyms they cover and it's not feasible to get to them. 

I'm interesting in knowing how you're doing.  Please post.  Please give me tips too. I also have about 50 pounds to lose. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2

I tend to yo-yo a lot. Today I reached that "I'm sick of this" point and I will get back to weight-loss mode. Thankfully I didn't have to get out of the normal weight range this time to be annoyed with myself! I'd still like to lose about 15 lb before my Spartan race this summer. I've learned that, ironically, training for full marathons is terrible for my weight. I lose weight while training, but I get so burned out on the distance that I boomerang right after the event. Sticking to half marathons (and this Spartan race) this year and seeing how that goes. Moderation.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I tend to yo-yo a lot. Today I reached that "I'm sick of this" point and I will get back to weight-loss mode. Thankfully I didn't have to get out of the normal weight range this time to be annoyed with myself! I'd still like to lose about 15 lb before my Spartan race this summer. I've learned that, ironically, training for full marathons is terrible for my weight. I lose weight while training, but I get so burned out on the distance that I boomerang right after the event. Sticking to half marathons (and this Spartan race) this year and seeing how that goes. Moderation.

I also don't go longer than 13.1 for race distance. My list of injuries is long, but I've been running competitively since age 11 so there's a lot of wear and tear. I'd rather be in the game for shorter races than on the sidelines from uber long distances. Getting to race weight can be a challenge, but race weight is usually not able to be safely maintained (mines 118-ish at 5'8"). It's okay and normal to "boomerang" a bit after an event.

• Love 2
On 2/22/2017 at 9:31 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm interesting in knowing how you're doing.  Please post.  Please give me tips too. I also have about 50 pounds to lose. 

Thanks for sharing that.  I've followed so many diet plans in my life that one thing I have come to believe is that "whatever works" is the right diet for me.  If that means keeping some carbs and controlling them, that's what it means.  I've realized that cutting out entire food groups only backfires in the end. for me.  This time I actually haven't cut out anything completely, even cookies, ice cream, cake, pie and fried food, only I have them on a very limited basis.  I will allow myself a very small portion of of these things maybe 2-3 of times a week.  I try to stick to the least offensive stuff, like no sugar added ice cream and baked goods (I won't eat regular) or baked or fat reduced chips.   Actually Cape Cod potato chips are only 3 ingredients and have a 40% fat reduced version that's very good.  I might have a handful of that every once in a while, probably like 2 times a month if that (of course hubbie eats the rest of the bag, LOL).  I also cook a lot and have gotten back into no-carb baking with almond flour.  I zero in on the stuff I find really satisfying.  Recently I had a memory from when I was a kid of a dessert my mother used to buy me.  It was simple egg custard from the Horn and Hardart retail store.  All it is is milk, eggs, vanilla extract and sweetener baked in 6 oz. ramekins.   It's close to being a "whole food" dessert, plus I use stevia to sweeten it so it can be sugar free too.  I find that if I eat small portions of stuff I find very satisfying I don't want for anything else.  I am not diabetic and they are not worried about me although my sugar has climbed up close to the "yellow" zone in recent years.

I was having so much trouble losing weight since menopause and all the usual diets like Weight Watchers didn't work for me anymore.  It was too hard for me to stick to them without intense hunger or dissatisfaction plus even when I did stick to them somehow I didn't lose weight.  It was only when I joined that online program sponsored and subsidized by my company's health plan (it's called Omada, formerly "Prevent") that I had success.  It's not even a traditional diet plan but you get tips and advice from a nutritionist on an individual basis every week.  Somehow that was all I needed.  I've gotten used to weighing myself every day and filling out my meal tracker and I think that helps a lot too because it keeps me on track.  I try not to get discouraged when the scale goes up a little for no reason.  I've had to trust that these things mean very little in the big picture.  When I look at my weight tracker graph online it becomes clear that it's normal to go up and down a little.  I've been up 2 lbs. for a week now and not sure what could have caused it, but I have no doubt it will go down again, it always does if I just continue as usual.  I have just become a little more vigilant about portion sizes and am trying to work in more exercise.

I hear you about finding a gym.  My issue is money right now and somehow there are none of those cheap gyms around here that I hear advertised on TV and when I inquired into the prices, I was shocked.  I've had swimming recommended for me too and I used to love that but these days no matter what I do to try to prevent it, the chlorine does a lot of damage to my hair.  Fortunately my orthopedist thinks walking is OK for me so I still do as much of that as I can.  We've had some beautiful weather here lately and I've taken advantage of that.  I came home tired and achy today but it's worth it.  I've also been looking into a stationary bike.  I found a few reasonably priced ones online with a desk to hold a laptop.  I thought that was a good idea, but I'm hesitant to buy one online because I'm short (5'2") and stationary bikes are notoriously not made for short people even if they say they are and a lot of the reviews reflect that.  I once owned a stationary bike and hated it so that's another reason I'd want to try it before I buy it.

Anyway, best of luck to you.  I'm no expert, but it sounds to me like you're on the right path for you.  It's a real journey, isn't it?

• Love 1

I do enjoy reading about other people's journeys. I'll be glad when I'm at my goal weight and I can maintain, though, that's often the biggest challenge.  But, if my habits have changed and I've truly adapted the lifestyle of eating clean....I guess that's what it's called.  And eating reasonably....I think that's important, then, I'll be more content. 

After my last post, I started journaling all my food intake and not just counting points, but, writing down the calories. What I discovered is that  I'm not eating enough calories. Not sure if it's because I have this terrible cold or my body is just now gotten used to good, REAL food. Nothing really packaged, just actual food. But, still, no weight loss! lol  It's almost funny that I have cut out so much garbage and see no pounds come off. My underwear is larger though, so, I'll keep going.  I'm trying to increase my calories in good food.  At the end of the last couple of days I was only at around 600-700 calories.  Maybe, that's why I'm not losing.  Go figure.   I'll probably want to eat more when I get over this cold. I hate colds.   

I think that I would be the person who could be left on a deserted island for several months with no food and when rescued, have only dropped a couple of pounds! lol  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I do enjoy reading about other people's journeys. I'll be glad when I'm at my goal weight and I can maintain, though, that's often the biggest challenge.  But, if my habits have changed and I've truly adapted the lifestyle of eating clean....I guess that's what it's called.  And eating reasonably....I think that's important, then, I'll be more content. 

After my last post, I started journaling all my food intake and not just counting points, but, writing down the calories. What I discovered is that  I'm not eating enough calories. Not sure if it's because I have this terrible cold or my body is just now gotten used to good, REAL food. Nothing really packaged, just actual food. But, still, no weight loss! lol  It's almost funny that I have cut out so much garbage and see no pounds come off. My underwear is larger though, so, I'll keep going.  I'm trying to increase my calories in good food.  At the end of the last couple of days I was only at around 600-700 calories.  Maybe, that's why I'm not losing.  Go figure.   I'll probably want to eat more when I get over this cold. I hate colds.   

I think that I would be the person who could be left on a deserted island for several months with no food and when rescued, have only dropped a couple of pounds! lol  

That's definitely low. I can understand it for now since you're not feeling well, but it'll take a toll on you if you continue. That's about what I ate when I was anorexic.

I read earlier that you have a back injury that limits you and that you're looking for pools.  I've had 2 back surgeries, so I know what it's like when things flare up. As far as pools go, look beyond gyms. Some areas have large aquatic facilities geared towards swimming/water exercise, and some are even salt water pools so you don't have to worry about chlorine. Good luck!

Yeah, I plan to eat more calories as soon as I feel better.  Today, was not good. I got up and discovered a mini emergency at work, so, I had to rush around and take care of some things. I was so busy that I didn't take time to eat.  Just water and cup of coffee. I know.  Not good.  But, I had a healthy dinner of broiled chicken breast, pinto beans, ( I know two proteins to make up), baked cauliflower and baked radishes.  I'm going to have a fruit later on and maybe a yogurt.  I'm still under on calories, but, will start anew tomorrow.

I work in a large city, but, I'm not there everyday. I commute and it's more convenient to work out near my home.  But, that's limited. We do have two Y's, that have pools, but, it's not cheap.  I have to redo my budget after tax season. My insurance covers some places, but, not the ones I need them to.  I think that they may give me a discount on equipment, so, I'm looking into that too. 

On 2/22/2017 at 9:31 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Snarklepuss, thanks for sharing your story.  I'm willing to be flexible as I figure this thing out.  I know this is a lifestyle change for me and not a diet, so it needs to work for me long term.  I agree about making exceptions for things that you know will work, like the one-half bagel.  I'm not a bagel person, but, I can see doing that with something else.  I have no issue being moderate or even low on my carbs, but, not super low. That won't work for me long term.  Plus, I have to count my carbs, because I take insulin. (2 kinds, long acting and fast acting.) (I'm a Type I diabetic.) This complicates things too, because, insulin makes you gain weight.  My endocrinologist confirms this. So, the less insulin that I take the better, if it maintains my blood sugar levels.  With Type I, no amount of diet or exercise will lower the blood sugar, as the pancreas does not function properly.  

I stopped the evening popcorn, though, technically, I could have it.  I've been using points, like from Weight Watchers. My mom has the point book and I've gone by that.  I do limit my fruit to 2 per day though.  I have been very focused on preparing my food for over two weeks and this morning I had gained 1 pound!  lol  I had planned to weigh when my underwear felt larger and it did so I weighed on Monday. Today, I had gained a pound. lol  Talk about feeling deflated. Oh well....I'm going to revisit my plan, log the calories, activity, and keep going.  It's almost funny, because I have cut out all chips, cookies, ice cream, cake, pie, fried food, etc. I now eat mainly low carb veggies, lean protein like, egg whites, low fat yogurt, tuna, chicken breast, turkey breast.  I cut out all cheese, as it's not something that I really care for. Only carbs have been in veggies, like cauliflower, whole wheat toast (no butter), brown rice (limited).  Lots of veggie salads, with only a sprinkle of olive oil with some lemon juice. (No bottled dressing.)  

I need to increase my movement, though, I have done some walking lately and it didn't bother my back or foot.  Due to a back injury that really flared up in Sept., I have some limitations.  My doctor said that running and walking were not for me.  So, I have to join a gym that has a pool and other equipment.  I'm looking into that now.  I thought that my health ins would cover it, but, they have a list of select gyms they cover and it's not feasible to get to them. 

I was diagnosed with diabetes about 4 months ago.  After my job was eliminated last year I went into a downward spiral.  I had heart failure, fixed that, and then I had my first blood test since I was 2 years old.  I am in my mid 50s.  The doctor called me the next morning and I went right in and vowed to him that I would take the diagnosis seriously and I did.  Have you seen a diabetes nurse?  I found one through a friend of a co-worker blah blah blah.  She was so helpful and set me on the right path.  I set some of your comments in bold:

First bold - The first thing I learned was that women can have 45 grams of carbs per meal and YOU CAN'T SAVE THEM UP LIKE WEIGHT WATCHERS.  This is based on 3 meals a day.  My doctor put me on 5 small meals a day so my carb count is 27g per meal.  Watching fat/calories is secondary to carbs.  Sure sugar is the problem.  I don't like sweets so am not likely to eat cookies or ice cream etc.  The carbs turn into sugar and that's where the problem is.

Second bold - Whole wheat products are one of the worst products on the market.  It is a very 70s health campaign that just has not panned out.  If you look at carbs in whole wheat bread and the lack of nutrition you will be shocked.  Getting rid of bread should be a goal but cutting down will be of great benefit.  I love a good sandwich so have turned to a bakery that makes multi grain cocktail loaves.  Teeny tiny sandwiches!  I still get the sandwich experience within the parameters of my new way of life i.e. diet.

I don't like sweets but I was a Mt. Dew junkie - big mistake.  Pop, even diet pop, is the biggest thing you can get rid of.  My doctor said since I don't drink coffee or tea that I could start out with 3 oz a day so I don't withdraw from the caffeine.  I am now down to 3 oz maybe 3 times a week and think of it less and less.  The only sweet I like is cake.  I will have a 1 inch square piece at a party.  I count that carb into my meal and will eat the cake right with my meal so I am eating per eating schedule.  I learned that people with diabetes have diabetes because their body can no longer tell when you are eating and this causes the body to not do something (synapses?)  I was a bit of a grazer and that was a lot of my problem.  I was a huge fruit eater and that was a problem.  I was always very active and quite a sports person, but alas, we all get older.....I used to live next door to a gym that I loved but they sold out to a parochial school. I bought an Xbox 360 and work out to the game that comes with the system.  It has sports but it also has these stand up roller coasters that are a blast and work out from your knees to your shoulders.

In 3 months my "number"  went from 279 to 120 and I lost 16 pounds.  I have seen neighbors have part of their feet cut off from diabetes and I did not want that.  I love my family and want to stay healthy for them and just changed my life.  I am no saint, I still smoke on the sly outside.  One problem at a time.  I love Kool-Aid and my doctor is frowning about that because he does not agree with Aspartame and the red dye - Argh!  I do drink infused water I can make but he will agree with Propel water.  I like the berry flavor.

I will never be able to eat pizza from a pizzaria again but can make my own at home using pita bread.  I have never liked fast food but now that I know that I can't have it I just want a little Mack.

What I don't get is that most of the people on the show that do comply with doctor's orders eat stuff like canned veggies.  GROSS!  Frozen is acceptable and taste good, next to fresh, why?

• Love 1
(edited)

Jumper sage,

Congratulations on your excellent blood sugar control and weight loss.! That's quite an accomplishment.! Whatever you did, obviously worked for you.  It's great that you got so motivated.

I take it that you did it with diet and possibly pills...is that right?  I'm actually, a Type I (Also known as Juvenile diabetes), so, diet, exercise, fitness, pills, don't work.  With Type I, only insulin controls the blood sugar, as our pancreas doesn't work properly. I am fortunate to have some of the best Endocrinologists in the country.  Dr. Buse and Dr. Young with UNC Endocrinology.  They are super doctors and very helpful.  Dr. Buse actually saved my life. Long story, but, yes, I have consulted with their Certified Diabetes Educator and Nutritionist.  IN FACT, I went for a check up today and made an appointment to see their Nutritionist AGAIN.  It's been a couple of years.  This time, I'll have a lot to discuss, like my new eating plan.  I'm much more committed than in years past.  I bet she'll be happy to see that. 

I think that because we take insulin, we have more flexibility in our eating, because I count my carbs and take fast acting insulin according to a formula at meals and 2 hours after meals or snacks.  It involves a lot of carb counting, but, as long I cover it, my levels should stay down. But still, I try to avoid carb overload.  

My A1C wasn't as good as I had hoped today, but, still in the good range. (7.6).  I think that with my new food plan and better food choices, I can get it down further.) Last year I was at 6.5, but, it was due to too many lows, which isn't good either.   

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I didn't know where else to put this but I'm SO ANNOYED right now--why is it when you're looking for sugar-free/low sugar foods they're almost always loaded with fake sweeteners? Hey, there's no sugar but a ton of splenda! I desire no-sugar-added because I don't like the taste of sweet!! Not stevia, not splenda, not aspartame! I know there are exceptions (sugar free applesauce and Annie's natural organic peanut butter), but geez! It's in damned near everything.

Time to start making more of my own stuff. I already do dried fruit, it's time to look at more projects (one being prickly pear cactus jam which blooms in August). And homemade basalmic because those assholes add sugar to that, too.

Edited by Runnergirl
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, Runnergirl said:

I didn't know where else to put this but I'm SO ANNOYED right now--why is it when you're looking for sugar-free/low sugar foods they're almost always loaded with fake sweeteners? Hey, there's no sugar but a ton of splenda! I desire no-sugar-added because I don't like the taste of sweet!! Not stevia, not splenda, not aspartame! I know there are exceptions (sugar free applesauce and Annie's natural organic peanut butter), but geez! It's in damned near everything.

Time to start making more of my own stuff. I already do dried fruit, it's time to look at more projects (one being prickly pear cactus jam which blooms in August). And homemade basalmic because those assholes add sugar to that, too.

Agree. I bought some no-sugar-added fruit cups for my son, but I couldn't give them to him because they are loaded with Splenda, which tastes like total shit and is not good for you anyway. I thought, silly me, that meant that no SUGAR had been ADDED to them. I just read the labels for things that are new to me and see what sort of "___itol" they threw in.

• Love 3

Preach. I'm sloowwwly cleaning up my eating, and I'm also finding so much junk when I read food labels!! 

I'm old, I'm single, I don't enjoy cooking. So the idea of making absolutely everything from scratch is about as appealing as washing windows or getting a root canal. Did I mention, I don't enjoy cooking?

But OTOH I don't need to have a huge variety of stuff to eat from day to day. IOW, pretty much the same breakfast is OK every day, and if I like a meal I can eat it quite often. I've already left most of my old fave processed junk food treats in the rearview mirror. Now the struggle is dropping the rest of the junk, and that is mostly about sugar now. 

Sigh.

• Love 4

We look for (or make!) things sweetened with maple syrup, and just got the below cookbook, by America's Test Kitchen. They use sucanat for a lot of their recipes, which I can't find anywhere, and also use coconut sugar, maple syrup, and other natural sweeteners. I'm with you guys: processed or artificial sweeteners are as bad or worse than white sugar. 

https://www.amazon.com/Naturally-Sweet-Favorites-Americas-Kitchen/dp/1940352584

Crap, now I'm craving sweets. 

• Love 1

Its all sugar,  folks.  I was into this issue last year. There's even a book abt cook I saw that hyped  NO sugar--but the kicker is that the author used fake sweetners, and some other chemicals.  

The only "natural" sugar is in fruit and veggies. We just have to get used to less extreme flavors  that processed foods have amped up.

Don't believe the coconut oil/water myth either--it's been debunked by Nutrition Today--which is a great little magazine that takes on the trends and truths of food, dieting, and healthy eating. 

A little  real sugar and salt is ok--better than fake chemicals.  Make your treats gourmet to be worth it once in a while.  

• Love 5

Or just cooking for ourselves when we can control how much sugar is added to any given food. That's one thing that I really like about the new Weight Watchers program. Because most processed foods are higher points, there really is a push to get you to cook your own food. And now that sugar is included in how we calculate points, things that used to be low point goodies because they were higher fiber (but had sugar) are no longer the bargains that they were.

Fruit, however, is still a freebee but we're instructed not to eat them to excess. If we're keeping within our points and not losing, then the first thing we look at is how much fruit we're eating since there is sugar there.

I'm really happy on this plan because I eat really, really well (dinner last night was pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, broccoli and a slice of angel food cake) and in two and a half months (since I restarted the program, I'm down 26.4 pounds. Getting on the scale this morning was a treat!

• Love 4

Thanks! I've got another 75 to go to get to my goal weight, but I'm super motivated. Once the weather warms up a bit in my area, I can increase my exercise outside. But to have reached the quarter way mark really made me thrilled.

One tool that I think is really critical is tracking what exactly I'm eating. By logging everything that goes into my mouth, I'm really aware of just not what I'm eating, but how much. Because no matter what plan you're on, you can't eat an unlimited amount of food. Portion control is really important. I no longer eat a meal that doesn't involve vegetables and/or fruit and unrefined carbs and sweets are treats and not every day components of my diet. And if I am using my points for sweets, they'd better be damned good ones!

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Tosia said:

Its all sugar,  folks.  I was into this issue last year. There's even a book abt cook I saw that hyped  NO sugar--but the kicker is that the author used fake sweetners, and some other chemicals.  

The only "natural" sugar is in fruit and veggies. We just have to get used to less extreme flavors  that processed foods have amped up.

Don't believe the coconut oil/water myth either--it's been debunked by Nutrition Today--which is a great little magazine that takes on the trends and truths of food, dieting, and healthy eating. 

A little  real sugar and salt is ok--better than fake chemicals.  Make your treats gourmet to be worth it once in a while.  

I detest that sickly, extreme sweetness in processed foods--real or fake. Like Yoplait Light--there's like 15 ingredients in a cup of yogurt. Shouldn't it be just milk and cultures and fruit? Nooooooo. A bunch of unpronounceable are on the list (I don't eat that vile shit, I eat Fage and add frozen fruit if I want "fruit on the bottom"). Hell, they probably spend more money adding shit than just making it more simply.

I guess the average American palate holds power for now.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Tosia said:

I'm curious - and please pardon my ignorance - what's the coconut oil/water myth?

Coconut oil does not contain any sugar. It is a very healthy fat full of antioxidants.  It is good for cooking and on the skin.  It has been used for years for thousands of years in tropical cultures.  It is a great addition to a low carb/high fat diet.  Now the water and milk, yeah, they do probably contain sugar.  I don't use either but I use a lot of coconut oil.  It has helped me control my diabetes with no meds and keeps my skin soft and silky.

http://coconutoil.com/

• Love 3
9 hours ago, rainbowrockgal said:

Coconut oil does not contain any sugar. It is a very healthy fat full of antioxidants.  It is good for cooking and on the skin.  It has been used for years for thousands of years in tropical cultures.  It is a great addition to a low carb/high fat diet.  Now the water and milk, yeah, they do probably contain sugar.  I don't use either but I use a lot of coconut oil.  It has helped me control my diabetes with no meds and keeps my skin soft and silky.

Coconut oil is extremely high in saturated fat, which isn't a good thing. It's not as bad as, like, animal saturated fat, but for long-term heart health it is probably not the best choice, especially compared to olive oil or something.

10 hours ago, rainbowrockgal said:

Not according to Nutrition Action Health Newsletter, an unbiased publication geared  toward telling the the truth abt food trends, additives, and nutrition.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Tosia said:

Not according to Nutrition Action Health Newsletter, an unbiased publication geared  toward telling the the truth abt food trends, additives, and nutrition.

Thank you for the NAHN shot out. Best little mag/flier ever. I've noticed news media build stories around their info all the time.

• Love 1

From the "upper arm fat" discussion in the episode thread, I think one of the main reasons women get flabby upper arms is because they don't want to lift heavy at the gym. They're afraid of "bulking up," which...is a totally stupid concern. A lot of women have it, and I'm not saying the women are stupid, but this particular concern is stupid once you realize that "bulking up" requires (REQUIRES) a combination of high testosterone (higher than 99% of women would produce, ever) and lots of eating. You have to eat a LOT to build muscle to the extent that you'd look big and muscular. A typical woman who is watching her diet even a tiny bit would never bulk up. Those buff women you see in certain types of fitness competitions are eating a LOT of high protein, low carb food. They may also be juicing, and I ain't talkin' about fruit.

I have been fortunate to never have upper-arm jiggle, but that's because I am not afraid of picking up some real weights. I can do tricep pushdowns at 80+ pounds, dips, pushups, etc. The main thing is to work the triceps in addition to the biceps. Most people think "toned arms = bicep curls," but the triceps account for 2/3 the muscle in the upper arm. Rip your triceps up with heavy weights, drink a tall glass of milk (or whatever protein) after your workout, and you may notice a decent difference.

• Love 2

@ClareWalks I wish you were my trainer--if you ever get to Portland let me know! Anyway, question regarding the above: I strength-train 4-5x per week, alternating upper and lower body, and lately as I've added weight I've noticed that my pants are fitting tightly in the thigh. Now, I may be just putting on weight in general--I'm not being as careful with my eating as I normally am--but my clothes for the same everywhere else. I'm horrified that my thighs might be getting hulked out. I've always had pretty athletic legs; I play soccer and rock climb, so I'm wondering if I'm just inclined to bulk up if I weight train. Obviously without knowing me you can't say for sure, but in your experience, do you think it's possible that I'm that rare woman who DOES bulk up? Thanks for all your great insights--and humor--on these boards!

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Pachengala said:

@ClareWalks I wish you were my trainer--if you ever get to Portland let me know! Anyway, question regarding the above: I strength-train 4-5x per week, alternating upper and lower body, and lately as I've added weight I've noticed that my pants are fitting tightly in the thigh. Now, I may be just putting on weight in general--I'm not being as careful with my eating as I normally am--but my clothes for the same everywhere else. I'm horrified that my thighs might be getting hulked out. I've always had pretty athletic legs; I play soccer and rock climb, so I'm wondering if I'm just inclined to bulk up if I weight train. Obviously without knowing me you can't say for sure, but in your experience, do you think it's possible that I'm that rare woman who DOES bulk up? Thanks for all your great insights--and humor--on these boards!

Thanks! I am blushing :) I have found that women's legs tend to "bulk up" more than their arms with heavy workouts. I've also noticed that most women's pants are made for chicken legs, so would feel tight even if you have bangin' quads that are in no way hulk-like :) Since you play soccer and rock-climb I would honestly skip the lower-body strength training, to be honest. Women who do a lot of lower-body cardio AND rock climbing (which if done properly is very leg-centric) don't need additional leg work, unless they are injury-prone and need specific exercises to even out the tone.

• Love 2

I'm now a little worried about the Coconut Oil issue. I take two capsules per day for brain health.  I know, much is not proven, but, since a family member got dementia, it gives you a whole other perspective.  Maybe, it's my imagination, but my focus, memory and brain power are better on the Coconut Oil capsules.  Oh well,....I'll be having my cholesterol checked in a few months and we'll see what it looks like.  I also take a regular Fish Oil capsule for eye health, per my ophthamologist suggestion. 

I'm now down 13 pounds doing a combo of WW points (haven't joined officially)  and calorie counting.  So far, so good.  I've really steered clear of most processed foods and I write down everything I eat and log calories, except I do have my Skinny Girl popcorn. (It's not that healthy and I have to find a substitute. Any suggestions.?)  And I have Yogurt.  I'm gradually switching to plain and adding my own fruit.  What I eat now is nonfat yogurt with Fructose (is this natural sugar?) and with 80 calories.  Is it worth it to switch? It's one of my few treats. I don't really want the cookies, cakes, etc. from before. 

• Love 1

I make protein shakes using plain 0%fat yogurt, a few drops of coconut flavoring (or peppermint), a banana (or blueberries or other frozen fruit), a teaspoon of smooth peanut butter, and low fat soy milk, and protein powder.  The shakes come out thick and tasting great. 

Sometimes I add a half cup of plain regular coffee if I am going to work out or clean the house.

I also eat the plain, 0% fat yogurt with frozen fruit above, and maybe some crushed plain almonds on top for crunch.  You get used to the taste and the fruit's flavor pops more without extra sugar.

• Love 1

I've given up on shakes and smoothies for the most part because I'd rather eat my calories than drink them. It's a lot more satisfying and holds me over much longer.

My big issue was snacking. If food is around me, I'm pretty helpless so I do my best to keep food distractions during the day to a minimum. I don't bring anything into my office that isn't stuff that's safe for me to nibble on (today I've been working my way through a bag of frozen french green beans) because I will knock of an entire bag of popcorn in on day. Right now, I'm just better off not having it around me.

• Love 3

Thanks @ClareWalks (and @Runnergirl!)--my gut has been telling me you're absolutely right, but it's nice to have a professional's opinion. I think I'll lay off the leg days, at least until after my wedding in May; we're getting married in Greece and I want to rock a bikini (well, bikini bottom anyway, hey-yo Europe!) without feeling self-conscious. And actually I think you've inspired me to book at least one session with a trainer at my gym; it may be time to focus my workouts more. 

@SunnyBeBe, regardless of its other fats, coconut oil contains no cholesterol as it's not an animal product. Here's a little more info on the coconut oil/cholesterol relationship. O/T, I can never go to LiveStrong without thinking what a dick Lance Armstrong is, and then wondering how Sheryl Crow is doing after all this time. Is coconut oil high in cholesterol?

• Love 1

Thanks and I recently saw Sheryl in an interview and she is doing GREAT, apparently. 

I'm not sure what the deal is with Skinny Girl popcorn, but, the nutrition details on the box contradicts itself.  Has anyone else has actually encountered what I'm talking about? It says on the front of the box 50 calories per cup popped.  Each bag contains app. 2 cups of popped corn, but, then it also says on the back of the the box that it's 160 calories per bag, so, go figure.  Also, it contains Palm Oil.  That's not good, right?  I've read that it's problematic for multiple reasons.  I'm not sure what my options are though.  I'm not going to air Air popped corn, so there's no need to go there.  

MY biggest issue over the last couple of years has been my NIGHTTIME snacking. It really was holding me back, but, I just had to get my head in the right place.  Once I got my head in the right place, I was able to manage the snacking.  Now, I'm focused and know what things I can and will snack on.  So, far, it's been the Skinny Girl popcorn. nonfat yogurt, fresh fruit...all in MODERATION.   Unless something changes, I don't see why I can't continue this way as my normal eating pattern. 

My blender broke and I haven't gotten a new one yet, so, that's why I haven't tried any smoothies, but, sometimes, when I'm rushed, it might work well.  I tend to get busy during the day and not get my calories in for breakfast and lunch.  I don't like that.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
16 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I'm not sure what my options are though.  I'm not going to air Air popped corn, so there's no need to go there.

I think our hands are basically tied as far as suggestions, then. I don't personally think light microwave popcorn is such a bad snack, but you apparently don't agree, and I would have suggested just air-popped so you can control exactly what goes in it, but you say don't go there. I don't know what other kinds of snacks you like, so I don't know what else to suggest.

9 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I think our hands are basically tied as far as suggestions, then. I don't personally think light microwave popcorn is such a bad snack, but you apparently don't agree, and I would have suggested just air-popped so you can control exactly what goes in it, but you say don't go there. I don't know what other kinds of snacks you like, so I don't know what else to suggest.

I suppose I need to consider options for oil and cooking the popcorn myself.  I've never really looked to see what kind of oil most microwave light popcorn uses.  Not sure if Olive Oil can get hot enough.  I guess, I'll have to research cooking oils and if other brands use something other than Palm Oil.  

I've also tried broiling veggies, but, I really do enjoy the popcorn, in small portions.....if I could just figure out the oil issue.....................................

I checked it out and apparently, you can pop popcorn with Sunflower Oil and Olive Oil! So, now, I have some options!  

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I'm not sure what the deal is with Skinny Girl popcorn, but, the nutrition details on the box contradicts itself.  Has anyone else has actually encountered what I'm talking about? It says on the front of the box 50 calories per cup popped.  Each bag contains app. 2 cups of popped corn, but, then it also says on the back of the the box that it's 160 calories per bag, so, go figure.

Yeah, the requirements for nutritional labeling are kind of mushy in the areas where the manufacturers and the regulators clash. One on-going battle is how precisely accurate food labeling has to be, with the manufacturers generally arguing for a wider margin of error. This can result in some contradictory information for the consumer. The Skinny Girl Popcorn package that I looked at (sea salt and butter flavor) says on the front that there are 25 calories in one popped cup.

However, the nutrition label says that one serving of the popcorn is the whole package, which it lists as containing 6 cups of popped corn. It also lists the calories for those six cups as 160. So 160 divided by 6 is around 29 calories per cup. What's on the nutrition label is the most accurate result. But somewhere in the regs is a margin of error allocation for popped corn, and there's nothing that prevents the manufacturer from using that when describing the product on any other part of the packaging other than the formal nutrition label. So they pick the lowest possible number for a product designed to appeal to dieters.

Bottom line - Pay No Attention To The Packaging Outside Of The Official Label.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, Ketzel said:

Yeah, the requirements for nutritional labeling are kind of mushy in the areas where the manufacturers and the regulators clash. One on-going battle is how precisely accurate food labeling has to be, with the manufacturers generally arguing for a wider margin of error. This can result in some contradictory information for the consumer. The Skinny Girl Popcorn package that I looked at (sea salt and butter flavor) says on the front that there are 25 calories in one popped cup.

However, the nutrition label says that one serving of the popcorn is the whole package, which it lists as containing 6 cups of popped corn. It also lists the calories for those six cups as 160. So 160 divided by 6 is around 29 calories per cup. What's on the nutrition label is the most accurate result. But somewhere in the regs is a margin of error allocation for popped corn, and there's nothing that prevents the manufacturer from using that when describing the product on any other part of the packaging other than the formal nutrition label. So they pick the lowest possible number for a product designed to appeal to dieters.

Bottom line - Pay No Attention To The Packaging Outside Of The Official Label.

TRUTH!  I get regular emails/news tips from Dr . Yoni Freehoff, who wrote a common sense book abt eating healthy for life,  and that  dieting doesn't work cuz we can't sustain a habit we don't like.  He's big in Canada, funny, and practical. He also calls out the alternative facts about food trends--of which false or in complete information abt nutrients, sugar/sodium and chemicals on packaging is a big one and takes up alot of his emails to set the record straight. The info is short and to the point--a quick way to learn valuable info abt healthy eating/foods. 

So much fake news this days!  Arrggghhh. 

Also, on the protein shake issue--i never made shakes before this year, but it helps when I'm hungry to take a swig or two to calm down, get a little satiated, and not snack in the afternoon, abt 3-5pm, before dinner.  

Edited by Tosia
Thanks to everyone for the awesome advice and support here. Like Ram Dass said, "We're all just walking each other home. "

I'm really focused now on a sustainable eating plan. I say plan, because, I really do put much more thought into my meals. I always keep plenty of veggies, fruits and lean protein around, so I know my meals and snacks will be healthy. I'm still watching calories and trying to get my calories up to around 1000, though, my doctor thinks that 1200 is about right.  Hmmmm..... As long as it's sustainable. That's what my goal is. 

I'm actually a little surprised that I find my meals and snacks just incredibly delicious.  I'm considering writing a cook book for what I've created on my own.  My mom is a GREAT southern style cook and I'm thinking about doing a book with her recipes  in one section and mine in the other. Big contrast. lol   Anyone think that would be a good idea?  Just dreaming I guess.  lol  

• Love 3

My family went out for dinner the other night and I had a real treat - baby lamb chops. I don't make lamb at home unless I can grill because my dad can't handle the smell (he was put off of lamb from eating so much mutton in the army). Of course, the portion size was insane, with a huge baked potato and a pile of vegetables and three lamb chops. The first thing I did was have the waiter bring me over a take out container and I put half the potato and one of the chops (the biggest one) in and packed it away so it was off my plate. Then I got to enjoy the rest of my dinner (and man... did I enjoy it!).

Tonight I get to have my other chop and potato and will steam up some broccoli to have with it. I get to have something I really enjoy eating twice, and I don't feel at all deprived. It just took a moment of self-control and a bit of pre-planning. 

On 3/12/2017 at 6:56 PM, ClareWalks said:

I have found that women's legs tend to "bulk up" more than their arms with heavy workouts. I've also noticed that most women's pants are made for chicken legs, so would feel tight even if you have bangin' quads that are in no way hulk-like :)

For me, boots are a nightmare to buy. I've always had larger calves from years of dance and horseback riding, so even at my thinnest I was stuck with the limited selection of wide-calf boots available. My legs look great and are really shapely, but for some reason shoemakers seem to think that if you have calves that are over 10 inches in diameter, that you don't need nice looking boots to wear. Very frustrating.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 3