Type keyword(s) to search

A Little Help From My Friends: How Do YOU Do (A Healthier) You?

• Start Topic

Good news - I was -3 lbs at my Weight Watchers weigh-in.  This makes a total of 33 pounds since December, and I am now 1.2 BMI points away from being merely overweight as opposed to obese!  I have a Garmin Vivofit, and over the past 7 days I covered 33.3 miles and almost 84,000 steps.  No wonder I'm burning through running shoes like crazy!  (I have an Imelda-like addiction to running shoes, especially Saucony)

What are everyone's step totals for the past 7 days?  It'd be cool to see how far we're walking collectively!  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Yokosmom said:

Is anyone else an "all or nothing" sort of person? It seems that either I am eating right and exercising or I'm a couch potato and eating terribly.  There is no in-between.

I have been in the past but hopefully I've gotten over that this time! I feel like I have a better relationship with food now. I used to feel like I failed if I had french fries (my "trigger food"), now I can eat them in moderation just fine.

11 minutes ago, IOU Payne said:

What are everyone's step totals for the past 7 days?  It'd be cool to see how far we're walking collectively!

I don't keep track of steps but I've done 26 miles in 3 workouts. Your 7-day total is very impressive! Keep up the great work! :)

• Love 1
On 8/19/2016 at 1:16 PM, Pachengala said:

So sorry you're dealing with that, @Cherrio. I find drama at home especially upsetting because this is supposed to be our port in the storm. I hope that jerk moves!

Topic? Thanks for this board--I love talking about health and fitness! A couple years ago I lost 50 pounds with WW (I love WW--I credit it with teaching me how to eat) and am now in the process of losing the 30 lbs I gained during pregnancy. I am just using My Fitness Pal to log food, as I learned enough through WW to go it alone this time. I work out every morning--it's how I keep from being a groggy zombie with no energy--but I just recently started doing weight training in addition to cardio, with my fiancé's coaching. OMG I LOVE IT. Not only is my nagging pregnancy back, groin, and sciatic pain just gone, I feel like a superhero when I leave the gym. I'm excited to see if it helps my running in any way too; I ran a half in 2012 and missed my goal time by like 20 minutes, so I'm thinking about training for another to see if I can't hit it. 

So, that's me. I'm super looking forward to hearing others' stories, regimens, and tips. Go team!

I came over to this group to see if there is anyone doing something like this (group support).  I think its fantastic.  

I wrote awhile ago I lost a ton of weight 16 years ago.  Well the stress of my last 2 years has caught up with me.  I allowed myself to gain about 10-15 lbs.  Not a ton but I certainly was eating my feelings.  I KNEW what I was doing so that is why I say I allowed myself to gain weight.  At those moments a Haagen Daz bar DID taste better than thin felt (and two felt FABULOUS!).  So while I am not overweight like I was (not even close thank god), my pants are a bit tight (I do NOT use a scale any longer, I use clothes).  The stressful issue has resolved soooo, my eating plan shifted Sunday.  I am back to eating healthy and going to drop these Haagen Daz bars that are sitting on my hips.  

WW was my plan of choice then and now.  I am not using the current plan.  I am using what I used the 1st go around (circa 99/2000).  Saving my old food diaries was a great resource.

Every night I am packing my breakfast, lunch, and snacks like I used to.  In a month I will also have to add dinner (my work hours change).  It SEEMS like a pain but it is much easier.  No discussion of what am I eating today?  I don't know if anyone else finds this when losing weight but I end up actually eating a lot more food its just not fat/calorie/carb heavy.  If anyone is doing WW and is new to it but searching for a good food sub for an old favorite, ask away.  I loved coming up with healthy alternatives to stuff.  When I am not eating my feelings I follow WW still just at the maintenance level.  I don't want too much difference in how I eat normally and when dropping weight.  I hate to admit it, I do feel better eating cleaner.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, kar328 said:

I was and sometimes can still be, but over these past 1134 days now, I've learned to find the middle ground. When I first got my Fitbit, I was nutso about hitting 10K each day, but sometimes it's just not possible. It would make me crazy until I finally slapped some sense into myself and realized it's okay. Same with food and other parts of this. I still get a little obsessed once in a while, but I'm better at realizing it sooner and talking some sense into myself.

WAY off topic but I was thinking about a fitbit and say I am short a few steps can you put it on your cat to make up the difference?  All joking aside, I am thinking about getting one. I am curious about how many steps I get in a day and it would be helpful to see.  I DO get a ton of walking at work which includes stairs.

• Love 1

Too true. Some days you can't hit 10,000 steps or you have more dessert than you should have. It's keeping on the next day and the next day that makes us successful. This is really a journey we are on. Hubby and I laugh because every Saturday when we hit Wally World he says "what kind of diet should I be on this week?" He is tried low carb, only veggies, shakes twice a day, the soup diet, Plexus, etc. He isn't heavy, just would like to lose the 30 pounds he put on after two hip replacements and then two revisions. Keep on with the positive stories!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Natalie68 said:

WAY off topic but I was thinking about a fitbit and say I am short a few steps can you put it on your cat to make up the difference?  All joking aside, I am thinking about getting one. I am curious about how many steps I get in a day and it would be helpful to see.  I DO get a ton of walking at work which includes stairs.

Well, I have a bird and he takes tiny steps so I don't know if he'd be of any help to me :-)  I am grateful my house has an open floor plan. I do laps when I'm downstairs cooking - 24 from the kitchen to the front door.  I have a Fitbit Charge HR. It records steps, calories, distances, stairs, sleep quality and continuous heart rate. You can also set a timer when you work out and see the info for that specific time period. I used to have the Fitbit Flex but wanted the continuous heart rate and the timer so I upgraded. On the website/app you can add friends and see where you fall on the leaderboard, do challenges and you can learn a lot from the info each day.  It's got fun parts - when you take it off the charger it gives you a little message like "you rock" and when you hit the 10K it vibrates and gives you a little image like a smiley face or fireworks, it changes each day. There are a lot of different brands out there, I stuck with Fitbit, their customer service is great, they've released mine if there's an issue. I'm happy with it and it definitely helps me in this weight loss journey.

Edited by kar328
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, kar328 said:

Well, I have a bird and he takes tiny steps so I don't know if he'd be of any help to me :-)  I am grateful my house has an open floor plan. I do laps when I'm downstairs cooking - 24 from the kitchen to the front door.  I have a Fitbit Charge HR. It records steps, calories, distances, stairs, sleep quality and continuous heart rate. You can also set a timer when you work out and see the info for that specific time period. I used to have the Fitbit Flex but wanted the continuous heart rate and the timer so I upgraded. On the website/app you can add friends and see where you fall on the leaderboard, do challenges and you can learn a lot from the info each day.  It's got fun parts - when you take it off the charger it gives you a little message like "you rock" and when you hit the 10K it vibrates and gives you a little image like a smiley face or fireworks, it changes each day. There are a lot of different brands out there, I stuck with Fitbit, their customer service is great, they've released mine if there's an issue. I'm happy with it and it definitely helps me in this weight loss journey.

Thank you!  My cats probably wouldn't be any help anyway.  As lazy as the day is long.  

I think I am going to get one.  They sound cool.  

4 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Thank you!  My cats probably wouldn't be any help anyway.  As lazy as the day is long.  

I think I am going to get one.  They sound cool.  

You'll find you start parking a little further back from the store or taking the longer route from point A to point B at work. A bunch of the coworkers have them now, our unit is square shaped so we do laps when we have downtime (20=1 mile). They used to laugh at me a few years ago, now they're doing it.

• Love 1
Just now, kar328 said:

You'll find you start parking a little further back from the store or taking the longer route from point A to point B at work. A bunch of the coworkers have them now, our unit is square shaped so we do laps when we have downtime (20=1 mile). They used to laugh at me a few years ago, now they're doing it.

Great ideas!  We have a lot of stairs in our building so I plan on doing them many times a day.  Plus our weather is good most of the time so I need to make time to take walks throughout the day.  

• Love 1
On August 20, 2016 at 6:55 AM, TotoGirl said:

@jacksgirl-Same here for me too. We also RARELY had soda in the house & if we did, it was a 6-pack and each family member got one can. (If we were thirsty, my Dad's patent answer was "there's milk in the fridge or water from the tap".) I also grew up on a farm and way back in the "stone-age", getting take-out pizza meant a 40-mile round trip to town and was a huge treat that we had maybe every 2 months.

My sister and I were scared to drink soda bc we used to play with these three little country kids every time we visited my grandparents.  They carried their soda bottles around with them, and they ALL had rotten teeth.  Bless their pea-pickin' hearts.  But, yeah, we were afraid of soda for years, and still only drink it once every few months.

• Love 1

I have lost a good 40 pounds this year just from changing my eating habits.  I no longer eat cold cereal.  I'll have a couple of pieces of turkey bacon with two scrambled eggs for breakfast.  If I don't have time to prepare that, it's hot oatmeal.  I find they both stick to the ribs and keep me full for hours.  Snacks consist of protein bars or plain almonds.  Dinner is usually grilled tilapia or salmon with asparagus, Brussels sprouts, or some other green.  

Whenever I craved ice cream this summer, I would eat a Yoplait "Whips" in chocolate.  They have a different consistency than regular yogurt, hence the name "Whips", and it's like eating chocolate mousse.  

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, Pherber said:

Whenever I craved ice cream this summer, I would eat a Yoplait "Whips" in chocolate.  They have a different consistency than regular yogurt, hence the name "Whips", and it's like eating chocolate mousse.  

Those are really yummy! I also found good substitutes for real ice cream are Fudgsicles (40 cal each and a gram of fiber) and Yasso greek froyo bars (I loooove the mint choc chip). Yum.

• Love 3

Where'd everybody go? :)

I am starting to get slightly frustrated. The scale hasn't budged in 3 weeks. According to my app, I should have lost 5 lb. I've been eating MORE fiber, but I don't see how that would make me stop losing weight. I drink at least 100 oz of water a day. I thought I had my body figured out but it's a bit flummoxing. I don't want to lose a ton of weight but I want the scale to keep going down so my walking will get easier/faster.

• Love 1

I hear you, ClareWalks.  I feel defeated this week.  My birthday was last week plus a client of my husband's took us out for a 12 course tasting menu at one of NYC's finest French restaurants, on the client of course.  It was one of those extremely rare once in a lifetime things.  Well, the food and wine were fantastic, but I gained two pounds back after losing 7, and suddenly feel under the weather like I'm fighting a cold.  I'm not feeling up to exercise since last Friday and due to feeling lousy I'm hungry all the time and dealing with THAT too.   I'm trying to stay positive and not let it discourage me, but it's an effort.  I wouldn't have missed the restaurant experience for anything in the world, though!

11 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I hear you, ClareWalks.  I feel defeated this week.  My birthday was last week plus a client of my husband's took us out for a 12 course tasting menu at one of NYC's finest French restaurants, on the client of course.  It was one of those extremely rare once in a lifetime things.  Well, the food and wine were fantastic, but I gained two pounds back after losing 7, and suddenly feel under the weather like I'm fighting a cold.  I'm not feeling up to exercise since last Friday and due to feeling lousy I'm hungry all the time and dealing with THAT too.   I'm trying to stay positive and not let it discourage me, but it's an effort.  I wouldn't have missed the restaurant experience for anything in the world, though!

Sounds like an amazing meal! The good news is between a big meal (carbs + sodium = water retention) and being sick, it is likely water weight, which is easier to lose than fat. Still frustrating, though. There's that adage "feed a cold, starve a fever," so I know what you mean about being more hungry. Boo. I hope you feel better soon! Lots of fluids :)

• Love 1
On August 29, 2016 at 3:53 PM, ClareWalks said:

I am starting to get slightly frustrated. The scale hasn't budged in 3 weeks. According to my app, I should have lost 5 lb. I've been eating MORE fiber, but I don't see how that would make me stop losing weight. I drink at least 100 oz of water a day. I thought I had my body figured out but it's a bit flummoxing. I don't want to lose a ton of weight but I want the scale to keep going down so my walking will get easier/faster.

Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you do everything right but maintain—or even gain. Others you lose a whole lot in a "whoosh." So be patient.

And have non-scale metrics, such as strength, speed, or endurance. Take measurements and progress photos, too. They'll show you the truth, even when the scale is being a lying liar who lies.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, editorgrrl said:

Weight loss is not linear. Some weeks you do everything right but maintain—or even gain. Others you lose a whole lot in a "whoosh." So be patient.

And have non-scale metrics, such as strength, speed, or endurance. Take measurements and progress photos, too. They'll show you the truth, even when the scale is being a lying liar who lies.

Indeed! I am actually in the biz so I know a lot about weight loss. This is the longest "stall" I've had, though, and usually I can at least come up with something that causes a stall (generally drinking less water). This time I am baffled. I'm sure it will end soon, I'm trying a few things to kickstart myself again. And yeah, I definitely have improving metrics with strength, speed, AND endurance at the moment, I do both strength training and marathon training (moving up to 16 miles this weekend, yay!) :) It's just that being a more advanced marathoner, I want to be a few pounds lighter for my next race, because studies show that all else being equal, an athlete is faster by 2 seconds per mile over the course of a marathon for every pound lighter they are.

• Love 1
On 8/29/2016 at 0:53 PM, ClareWalks said:

Try a different exercise routine.  That might jump start it.  It worked for me when things slowed down.  I started out walking, riding recumbent bikes THEN added weight training, elliptical, THEN added cardio kickboxing, THEN added spinning.  I kept things on rotation.  Trying to keep my body from getting too used to one type of exercise.

The extra fiber should not prevent you from losing weight and the water should help flush it out.  I bet you will have a big whoosh of lost weight soon.  

Edited by Natalie68
SPELLING!
  • Love 1
Just now, Natalie68 said:

Try a different exercise routine.  That might jump start it.  It worked for me when things slowed down.  I started put walking, riding recumbent bikes THEN added weight training, elliptical, THEN added cardio kickboxing, THEN added spinning.  I kept things on rotation.  Trying to keep my body from getting too used to one type of exercise.

The extra fiber should not prevent you from losing weight and the water should help flush it out.  I bet you will have a big whoosh of lost weight soon.  

Sadly I am stuck with my current routine because I am starting to ramp up for the marathon, but I am trying to jump start myself again by adding an additional walk during the week, so I'm up to 3 6-milers and a weekend long walk. Then in October I'll make one of those 6-milers into a 10-miler. So hopefully upping the mileage will have the same "shock the body" effect :)

• Love 1
Just now, ClareWalks said:

Sadly I am stuck with my current routine because I am starting to ramp up for the marathon, but I am trying to jump start myself again by adding an additional walk during the week, so I'm up to 3 6-milers and a weekend long walk. Then in October I'll make one of those 6-milers into a 10-miler. So hopefully upping the mileage will have the same "shock the body" effect :)

Good luck!  It gets frustrating for sure!

• Love 1
On August 23, 2016 at 6:05 PM, ClareWalks said:

Those are really yummy! I also found good substitutes for real ice cream are Fudgsicles (40 cal each and a gram of fiber) and Yasso greek froyo bars (I loooove the mint choc chip). Yum.

I LOVE Braum's mint chocolate chip ice cream, so I will definitely have to try those Yasso Greek fro-yo bars!  And the fudgecicles.  Thank you!  

I have a question.  I had a chocolate brownie craving last night at 1AM, and gave into it.  I hadn't eaten anything like that in ages, and it tasted weird to me, not good at all, and totally not worth cheating for.  It's something I've noticed in the past whenever I haven't eaten chocolate in a few weeks - it has a funny taste to it and doesn't taste as good as I remember it.  Has anyone else experienced this before?

• Love 1
On August 29, 2016 at 2:53 PM, ClareWalks said:

Any weight loss reflected on the scale yet?  I never go by the scale since they say muscle weighs more than fat.  One of my 51-year-old friends is a runner and has been having same trouble as you.  We think it's an "age thing," but she's still as frustrated as can be.  I can tell that her "pooch" has disappeared and is beginning to turn back into a six-pack.  I think she'll start to see that reflecting on her scale soon, and so will you.  It sounds like you're doing great - increasing your mileage and drinking loads of water!  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Pherber said:

I LOVE Braum's mint chocolate chip ice cream, so I will definitely have to try those Yasso Greek fro-yo bars!  And the fudgecicles.  Thank you!  

I have a question.  I had a chocolate brownie craving last night at 1AM, and gave into it.  I hadn't eaten anything like that in ages, and it tasted weird to me, not good at all, and totally not worth cheating for.  It's something I've noticed in the past whenever I haven't eaten chocolate in a few weeks - it has a funny taste to it and doesn't taste as good as I remember it.  Has anyone else experienced this before?

I'm big on taking my lunch to work every day and I eat out as little as possible. One day I said screw it, I'm having the McDonald's. It was just...okay.  It didn't taste nearly as good as I remembered when I ate it more frequently and that was only last year. I like to think my taste buds are adapting and learning to love chicken breast while rejecting junk.

• Love 5

I agree with @Brooklynista that I think it's just about training yourself to change your tastes. Plus sometimes if we start thinking about calorie counts, we might subconsciously decide that foods now have to live up to a deliciousness standard to be "worth" the calories. That's why lately I eat higher-quality chocolate, when I have chocolate, because lousy chocolate used to be adequate, but now I'm like "ugh, this isn't even worth the calories."

Any weight loss reflected on the scale yet?  I never go by the scale since they say muscle weighs more than fat.  One of my 51-year-old friends is a runner and has been having same trouble as you.  We think it's an "age thing," but she's still as frustrated as can be.  I can tell that her "pooch" has disappeared and is beginning to turn back into a six-pack.  I think she'll start to see that reflecting on her scale soon, and so will you.  It sounds like you're doing great - increasing your mileage and drinking loads of water!  

Thank you! :) Yeah, aging definitely plays a role! It started getting way more complicated in my mid 20s. Now I'm in my mid 30s and it's tougher still. I have lost a bit but I've found I need to stay diligent about keeping up my water and fiber intake or I just feel like poo all the time. On the plus side, I have made a donation pile of all the clothes that are now too big for me. I refuse to keep my "fat clothes" in the house anymore! They are a crutch! ;)

• Love 3
On 8/30/2016 at 10:09 AM, ClareWalks said:

Sounds like an amazing meal! The good news is between a big meal (carbs + sodium = water retention) and being sick, it is likely water weight, which is easier to lose than fat. Still frustrating, though. There's that adage "feed a cold, starve a fever," so I know what you mean about being more hungry. Boo. I hope you feel better soon! Lots of fluids :)

Hi, I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner.  That meal was amazing but it really did a number on me.  I never felt right afterward and then 4 days later I had a gallbladder attack.  It seems I have one teeny tiny little gallstone (thanks a lot heredity!!) that moved into the bile duct after that meal and provoked the attack.  My luck!   The pain was so bad my husband had to take me to the emergency room at 3:00 a.m.  Of course they were pressuring me to have my gallbladder removed in the emergency room, but I resisted because after several hours, an IV with morphine (I can't take most painkillers) and anti-nausea medication the pain went away.  Plus I knew it wasn't an emergency.  I ended up seeing a surgeon this past Tuesday who agreed with me that it wasn't dire.  She told me my gallbladder is actually in pretty good shape plus the stone has moved out of the bile duct or I'd still be in pain.  She agreed that that big meal was likely the cause of the attack.  I have another appointment to see her this Thursday but so far no surgery is scheduled.  She said something about there possibly being another way to handle this - I'm hoping she suggests sonar therapy or some other non surgical solution because I have a phobia of surgery - one of my only phobias.  I think the other big phobia would be jumping out of a plane.   I really hope she doesn't push me for surgery.  So that's the status right now - stay tuned and wish me luck!

In other news, I have lost 11 lbs. since mid June thanks to the Omada plan (formerly called "Prevent").  Well, it's not really a plan.  It's a 15 week online program that my company and my health insurance is sponsoring.  I recommend it highly.  It's for people at risk for diabetes and high cholesterol, etc.  You get a personal diet/exercise coach/nutritionist that you can contact at any time with issues/questions either by email or on the phone, and who gives you advice and feedback on your meal choices, etc. Plus there is "homework" to complete every week and you are placed in a group of 20 or so people who all share similar issues that you can share your issues with on a chat board with them.  You also get a scale and a pedometer, both of which can automatically send your weight/steps to your tracking/progress page, and you have to track everything you eat every day, including amount and type of preparation. 

Now I am sure you probably remember me going on about how diets don't work for me anymore.  Well, they still don't but it looks like my own common sense DOES, LOL.  A lot of us in my Omada group have been on diets before so we already know a lot of the basics, plus we are given information to read so we know what the program wants us to eat or not eat.  The great thing is that I am doing it at my own pace so I never feel deprived.  I am in control and I love that feeling.  I HATE feeling like I am being forced to eat or not eat according to what works for someone else and not me.  I realize now that this is the main reason I was not successful with those other plans. 

For exercise, I am doing a lot more walking and in the heat make a regular practice of going mall walking after work.  I am taking it one day at a time.  I have not cut out all starchy carbs but they are very limited.  I have kept the things I know I don't want to live without, like the occasional sandwich, only now they are on sprouted grain bread.  I still have an ice cream pop every now and then, but they are all natural and only 70 calories.  And of course a few squares of dark chocolate every now and then too.  I am still keeping with the no added sugar diet like before, only my portion sizes have shrunk a bit plus I cut corners like fewer snacks, plus the snacks are all natural, mostly whole foods like nuts and fruit.   I am using my cooking ability to find easy healthy meals that I can prepare, plus my cafeteria at work is now a lot healthier as well, which was great timing since they recently went over to a healthier program.  Thank goodness, just in time!  Plus Mr. Snarklepuss is totally on board with the diet and has lost 10 pounds himself!  I have about 8 weeks left to the program plus there's an "after" program that is free on their website with a bigger chat board.  Anyway, that's my status report for now.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4

@Snarklepuss that is amazing! Congrats on the weight loss and I hope you don't need that surgery either. Don't blame you for being phobic about it, it IS a scary situation, fortunately the docs are pros :) Your "diet" sounds like a great sustainable lifestyle, as all diets should be. We as a society should get back to using the word "diet" to mean "what I eat," not "what I DON'T eat." It just feels better to go that direction, as you have found this summer! :)

• Love 2

Ok, so...yeah.  This week 3 separate co-workers asked if I was pregnant. Very much no. I tend to gain weight in my belly so I can see how they could think I was, but damn!

Let's forget that we know you shouldn't ask a woman if she's pregnant if you don't see the head crowning. Forget that. I just didn't think it was that bad. What the hell did I wear last week that was obviously giving me the complete opposite look of what I was going for??

Know I know I bloat like crazy after any meal. I can wake up in the am with a flat tummy, eat an egg and POOF! 4 months preg go. I just didn't think other people saw it. It probably wouldn't bother me as much if I wasn't struggling w infertility and the ladies didn't look so damn excited for me. 

Before I depress myself with that part of it, what do you guys do to combat bloat? I tryour to increase my water intake and that seems to add to the belly as well. 

• Love 3

I bloat like crazy after any meal. I can wake up in the a.m. with a flat tummy, eat an egg and POOF! 4 months preggo.

What do you guys do to combat bloat? I tried to increase my water intake and that seems to add to the belly as well. 

Strangers on the internet can't diagnose the cause of your bloating. Please talk to your doctor.

1 hour ago, Brooklynista said:

Know I know I bloat like crazy after any meal. I can wake up in the am with a flat tummy, eat an egg and POOF! 4 months preg go. I just didn't think other people saw it. It probably wouldn't bother me as much if I wasn't struggling w infertility and the ladies didn't look so damn excited for me. 

Before I depress myself with that part of it, what do you guys do to combat bloat? I tryour to increase my water intake and that seems to add to the belly as well. 

Oh Christ, asking a woman (ESPECIALLY a woman dealing with infertility...I've been there and it SUCKS) if she is pregnant is so awful I can't even. If you need someone to talk to about infertility PM me. It's tough to talk about with friends/family because they won't leave it alone.

If you are on medications they can make you bloat more, although I am a firm believer in the Way More Water Method of bloat destruction. It might lead to a bit more bloating for a few days but then you should literally pee it all out, usually. The key is to keep sodium intake moderate and up the water to at least a gallon a day, though. The goal is to train your body to not hold on to water. Go from being a cactus to being a blade of grass :-P If you suspect it is a medication issue or possibly a medical issue of some sort, definitely talk to your doctor first. My method isn't too extreme but some people could limit salt too much and then have problems with that much water.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Brooklynista said:

Clarewalks just said what I was going to say.  I have always been prone to that (my father too).  Limiting sodium and drinking a LOT of water helps because it actually helps to flush excess liquid from your body.  Plus you might need to talk to your doctor about whether you need a water pill.  I have read, though, that this effect can be a result of heredity and how you're built.  Just like some women "show' more when they're pregnant, some people "show" more after they eat!  My father has always needed to go out a belt notch or more after a meal.  So that's why I get that effect, I guess!

• Love 2

I had gall bladder surgery on July 7, this year.  I put it off for 6 months. Ironically, my sister had to have GB surgery in April cuz of severe attacks. I told her to go first and let me know how it was.  Also, I was having no pain,  unless the doc poked me on the upper right side. I did go for ultrasound and has several stones.  My sister said the surgery/recovery wasn't bad --a week of slight pain. Then,  in May, I had a few attacks which were so bad, I considered calling 911. So I scheduled surgery  

It was fine--knocked out,  percoset for pain, went home same day. Slept a lot. Nausea was tough, but meds took care of it...lasted abt 3-4 days.  I TOTALLY RECOMMEND IT.  

Wish I had it done years ago because I can't eat very much even now and oil/ greasy food is not appealing. I have lost 15 lbs. In the past 2 months. Feel good, just not as hungry, plus junk food is icky now. Even chocolate, except a tiny piece. Doesn't taste as good either.  It's almost like I had gastric bypass surgery or stomach stapling.  I am very happy to not crave or be able to eat so much as I did before.  Energy is up there also--I do alot of DIY-- painting, sewing, purging junk, and decorating around the house and got 90% of my goals done this summer. 

• Love 1

Hi @Tosia, thanks for sharing your story.  You may start to be able to eat more in time.  My father lost a lot of weight and didn't feel like eating much for a few months after he had his gallbladder out, but after a while felt like his old self again.  I think I am going to have to have the surgery as I've not been myself since the attack and the surgeon is leaning in that direction.  I'm likely going to have to put my big girl panties on and face it as scary as that is.  One of the things scaring me is that my father "flatlined" on the table for 30 seconds when he had his out 15 years ago.  OK, he had to have the full surgery (not just laproscopic) plus he was 75 at the time.  He has since had a very successful triple bypass surgery, BTW.  I don't know why that's scaring me.  I'm not my father, I'm younger, this is 15 years later and hopefully I won't even need the full surgery.  But it still scares me a LOT.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 2

Good luck, Snarklepuss.  I hope to make this "eating less, eating healthy" into a habit, with weight loss showing on the scale as the motivation.  It helps if I remember how sick I get when I overeat or eat something fried.

For me, I prayed and trusted my surgeon.  He also noted that surgery would be better now for me at 62, than later when I'm older and frail.... or have more health issues, less immunological resistance to infection, etc..... He reiterated his successful record of surgical outcomes both times when I consulted with him before the surgery.  I liked the stats. 

IMHO, I used to read that we should pray --not so much to change circumstances, but for strength to face whatever, and to deal or overcome problems. You don't have to be brave, just breathe.  I am not overly religious, but I believe.  In some circumstances, for me, this is accepting the possibility of death--everyday, and making peace with it---not LIKING IT, of course, but ok as God's will.  About 25 years ago, when  my son was very young, about 2 years old, I went to Chicago for a work conference.  In a small plane to the windy city.  Worst turbulence ever--and I used to travel by air alot.  I prayed that my son would be ok if I died, plus my husband was a good father, so that helped.  We had already made a living wills soon after our son was born.  

Since then, when near accidents happen to me, or I see a car accident, or pain on tv, and more so, now that I am getting older, and people my age-- 62 and younger--are dying-- I try to be objective about the issue, somewhat, and  appreciate each day and family and friends more.  Of course, I hope to live for at least 20 more years, but I am ok.  Life is good.  

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 3

Thanks so much for your kind words of wisdom, @Tosia.  I try to think the way you do, but I feel like at 58 I am still young, and there are so many things I still want to do.  Seeing surgery as a possible death sentence blows me a way.  In 2010 a very nice HR woman from my old company passed away from complications after a routine angioplasty.  She was 58.  I was laid off from that company in 2009 so I didn't find out about it until months after she passed.  I remember her being one of the nicest HR people I ever met.  When my boss left the company in 2007 she helped me find a new spot (I'm an executive admin.)  Unfortunately a year or so later that boss left too and I was laid off when the company decided it was the recession and to let go 200 people, so I lost contact with her.  I couldn't believe it when I heard she died. 

Then you have my Dad, who got a new lease on life from a triple bypass in 2010.  He is now 89 and still living on his own and driving (locally only, thank GOD).  He is one of those "ray of sunshine" people.  My mother always called him "Alfred E. Newman" because of his "What me worry" attitude.  Even though he grew up poor and disadvantaged and screwed out of advantages by family who didn't support him, he never lost his positive attitude.  He managed to make a career out of the Army, and later the Army Reserve, where he taught signal corps. in the Reserve school.  Still later he ended his career in non-profit heading up a tape duplicating department at the American Foundation for the Blind.  I always say that if there were a "Geek Squad" when my dad was young, he would have been captain!  My Dad is now 89 years old - all of his friends have died plus my mother.  It's hard for me to go see him that often because he's 100 miles away.  There are pros and cons to living that long, I have found out.  He does get lonely and he does worry about managing on his own much longer even with his friend and cleaning person who looks in on him regularly.

I believe in God (I majored in Philosophy and Theology as an undergrad.), but I also believe in chance.  I have to because I don't believe in a deterministic universe.  I believe that God takes a backseat when it comes to control over our destinies, and it's by God's own choice to give us that freedom.  Our control is only to some degree but the rest is up to chance, not even to God, at least not directly (would take much too long to explain).   I am always conscious of the way chance works in my life.  At times I am firmly convinced that like my grandmother used to think about herself, I have lousy luck!  In fact, she used to tell me I had her luck!  I wish I could be like my father, but my mother used to say he had "dumb luck".  If I were truly like him I'd probably be dead by now!  I guess I don't think I have the luxury of going with the flow.  My father's doctors were all top notch from NYC.  He was just fortunate to have the head of cardiology do his triple bypass.  He always fell into things just when he needed them.  I am sure my hospital and surgeon are good but not so sure of my own luck with things.  I have many sensitivities to medications - bad ones, and even an allergy to aspirin and ibuprofen.  It's not just because I'm a wuss that I'm afraid.  My father flatlined for 30 seconds when he had his gallbladder removed 14 years ago.  He had to have the full surgery.  But he's a lucky guy.  Luck being a relative word.  Not sure about mine.

Thanks again!

I agree, Snarklepuss.

My dad lived until 93. My mom died ten years previously.  He was lonely, especially since almost all his friends were dying as well.  He was ready to go anytime  because of the above and talked about it alot, and he was also a loyal Catholic.  He was a civilian (Catholic) POW in a concentration camp in Poland and moved to U.S. in 1950. Worked hard. Went to church faithfully. Saved his $. Did well in raising his family. 

My mom used to tell of an out-of-body, (death) experience she had when she was laboring with my brother's birth.  This was in the 50's before woo-woo, alternate psychic experiences were popular. 

I take care of my health. After that, it's luck and God, as you say.  

My mom was a worrier par excellence, so when I noticed myself doing the same, I knew I had to change. Plus anxiety meds helped. And therapy. And family/friends. 

I guess I would definitely find a sympathetic medical person to monitor you during surgery--the anesthecist (sp?)  Seriously.  I got an email and a survey from mine (with his personal name and info) after my surgery rating my experience. Make an appt. with this person ahead of time.  

I'll pray for you. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Tosia said:

My mom used to tell of an out-of-body, (death) experience she had when she was laboring with my brother's birth.  This was in the 50's before woo-woo, alternate psychic experiences were popular.

My father had a near death experience during his gallbladder surgery when he was under anesthesia.  He didn't even realize it was one.  I told him!  The surgeon didn't tell him he flatlined until a follow-up visit, after he had already told me the story.  About a day after his surgery he told me he had a strange "experience" when he was under anesthesia.  He said his mother was there with a group of people behind her that he didn't recognize but he somehow knew were his "ancestors".  Then his mother turned to leave and he wanted to go with them but she told him it "wasn't his time".  Now, my father is not familiar with near death experiences but I am.  I said, "Dad, that sounds like a near death experience, but how could you have had one, plus how can you experience anything under anesthesia?"  Anesthesia is not a state in which you can have dreams.  I asked him if he was sure it didn't happen when he was coming out of anesthesia and he said he didn't think so because it didn't feel like a dream.  Then the next day the surgeon broke the news to us about him flatlining and suddenly it all became clear.

My father was just a year too young to be drafted for WWII service, but he served overseas in Paris after the war when Americans could do no wrong and also Morocco and California.  He supported his divorced mother when his father's contributions were spotty at best.  She was very proud to have a son in the army.  She came from New England/Yankee stock.  I never met her.  She died in 1950 from a strangulated hernia.  She was determined to hang curtains herself in a high ceiling-ed apartment and fell off a ladder.  My father was due to come home the next day and he had told her to wait until he could do it but she didn't listen.  She was only 52.  My father was 23.  He had virtually nothing and no one save for his broke father who now lived in Washington DC and was looked after by a very decent solid Irish American family who had been in his life since he was a kid.   A couple of years later he met my mom.  My father is an inspiration.  My grandmother sounds like she was one fantastic lady.  He always called her "The poor man's Eleanor Roosevelt".

I took anxiety meds for a while during menopause.  I wish I had some now!  Thanks again, you are an inspiration yourself!  And thanks for the advice.  I know from my parents' experiences in the hospital that the anesthetist is key.

• Love 3

How I do a healthier me:

I have PCOS and my heaviest weight was 310lbs at 5'6. I tried "dieting" all my life - I can remember putting myself on SlimFast in 2nd or 3rd grade, but I had no knowledge of how to actually lose weight. 

When I was 25, my little sister got engaged and I desperately didn't want to be 310lbs in her wedding pictures, so I did anything I could think of to lose weight - I tried to cut out sugar and starch from my diet and only drank water. I was down to about 280 by her wedding 8 months later, and was happy to have lost but felt like I'd tried so hard for very little payoff.

When I was 26 I read about the Whole30 diet and decided to try it; I stayed on it for 4 months and lost about 40lbs in that time. It's a very healthy diet, but sticking to it so strictly is almost impossible - you basically cannot eat anything you didn't prepare yourself. While on Whole30 we went to Red Robin for my brother's birthday and I ate a plain hamburger, no bun and no toppings except lettuce, tomato, and mustard - and a salad with no dressing. While my family sat across the table eating fries and cheeseburgers and drinking bottomless rootbeer floats. It wasn't very fun at all, and I became a bit bitter about eating around other people. It wasn't their fault that I was obese and they weren't, but it wasn't very fun to be around them during mealtimes either. Then on a vacation 4 months into the diet, I ran out of Whole30 approved food after I miscalculated how much I'd need for the week and how close I'd be to a grocery store - for the last 3 days of my vacation I ate what everyone else was eating, which was mainly the chips and cookies in the pantry of the lake house, or burgers and shakes at the nearest restaurant. I told myself that since it was a vacation it wouldn't matter too much, that I'd been good for so long that I deserved a break, and that I'd go back to the diet once I got home...but it was like once I'd reintroduced those foods to myself it was almost impossible to stop.

I had been working at a university part-time during that time, and moved to a full-time position in the later end of my 26th year - the full-time job offered free tuition as a benefit, and an employee wellness program as well, so I started taking a gym class or two each semester. I wasn't really dieting so much as trying to find motivation to diet, but I was exercising at least, which kept me from gaining back all the weight, although by the end of that year I had gained back about 20lbs of the 40 I had lost on Whole30.

I was just kind of floundering and bitter about my weight and my life and blaming everything on PCOS, and one day by chance I ran across an article on a local news site about a woman who had lost weight thanks to "internet bullies"; out of curiosity I read it, and was directed to the site she had found and curiously looked through it for a few days. I was honestly expecting it to be some kind of horrible place where fat people were attacked and bullied until they starved themselves thin out of desperation, but it was just a website pointing out the stupid and erroneous ways that people think about weight and dieting, and which pointed out the real science behind weight loss. After reading for a few days, I did more research into calorie counting. It sounds stupid to say that basically my whole life I've understood the concept of calorie counting but never actually bothered with it. I just assumed that it wouldn't work for some reason. After confirming the facts about how weight is gained/lost through calories with some medical sites (instead of reading blogs or something to get info), I figured why not try it.

Through calorie counting and exercise I got down to 192 (I'm 28 now, for reference). But I've also encountered my other biggest problem, which is depression and apathy. I've struggled with slight depression most of my life. It's never been major, and I've not been suicidal or anything, but its always seemed like my normal state is just slightly depressed - I can pull myself out of it with a bit of effort, and force myself to do things, but it seems like my baseline level always goes back to that. 

While I was counting calories and losing weight, I was also giving myself physical challenges through work. Employee Wellness tests me once a year, and I get bonuses or rebates from my insurance if I'm improving my health, so that's a big motivator for me. There are also semester-long challenges for weight loss, fitness, etc. that helped me along. I joined a wellness program designed to help employees complete a half-marathon; it involved group exercise 6 days a week, and I just shone through that. Something about having an external goal and people to do it with (but also compete with slightly) really motivates me. The better I'm doing with exercise, the more motivated I am to eat right.

The day before my half-marathon I weighed in at 192, my lowest ever adult weight. I finished the half about 20 minutes ahead of my goal time and felt on top of the world with all that I had accomplished...and then I told myself that as a treat, I'd give myself a week off, to eat whatever I wanted and be lazy, and then I'd go straight back to calorie counting and exercising...and here I am 4 months later at 215lbs and haven't logged more than a week in my calorie tracker since then. It's like I lost my momentum and am struggling to get it back. 

It's the calories that make the difference - when I'm exercising and eating whatever I want, I just slow down the gain. When I'm tracking my calories is when I lose or am able to maintain. But my motivation to actually take the time to make low-calorie meals for myself and track them day after day, week after week, is all but gone when I'm not exercising. And now that I'm exercising on my own instead of in an organized group, it just feels lacking. It's easy to pack my gym bag and promise I'll go on my lunch hour (I work next door to the campus gym, so I have no real excuse for not going), and then decide I've had a rough day and that I deserve to just read a book on my lunch hour instead. 

That external motivation and support is really something I rely on, but I need to work at being self-motivated and having more discipline. I won't always work at this university, I won't always have these benefits, and I am trying to find a way to make myself enjoy exercising alone without a group or a class or a wellness program behind me. It's a struggle - I'd love to hear how others here motivate themselves to exercise.

Edited by AnJen
  • Love 8

@AnJen thanks for sharing your story! Congrats on losing so much weight! I have found, for me personally and for friends and clients, that they can fixate on a goal like a half marathon, but once it's over there is a "post-event depression" that is kind of similar to post-partum. It's like, now what? You went from having a regimented plan to being kind of adrift, and it's so easy to fall back to old patterns. It's tough because sometimes it works to get up and train for another race and see if you can beat your time; and sometimes you want to do something totally different. After my first full marathon I was so godawful sick of running/walking that I focused on building muscle for a couple months, which was an interesting experiment. It sounds like you do really well when you have a goal so perhaps training for another half, or a full, would be motivating. Maybe a triathlon? Or an obstacle race? 

I've been thinking about motivation lately so it's interesting that you asked about it. I think people have less success getting into and sticking with a workout program if they think of exercise as punishment. Like "I ate bad so I need to run for an hour" or "I HAVE to go to the gym, ugh." If you find a sort of workout that you enjoy, and you can think of exercise as a celebration of your body and not a punishment for your choices, you can have that motivation sort of built in. It often begins, at least for me, with positive self-talk. Replacing "I'm tired" with "I'm working hard." Saying "I feel stronger" instead of "I feel sore." Things like that. Where eventually the positive words turn to positive thoughts which turn to positive emotions.

• Love 4
On 9/30/2016 at 10:36 AM, AnJen said:

It's the calories that make the difference - when I'm exercising and eating whatever I want, I just slow down the gain. When I'm tracking my calories is when I lose or am able to maintain. But my motivation to actually take the time to make low-calorie meals for myself and track them day after day, week after week, is all but gone when I'm not exercising. And now that I'm exercising on my own instead of in an organized group, it just feels lacking. It's easy to pack my gym bag and promise I'll go on my lunch hour (I work next door to the campus gym, so I have no real excuse for not going), and then decide I've had a rough day and that I deserve to just read a book on my lunch hour instead. 

That external motivation and support is really something I rely on, but I need to work at being self-motivated and having more discipline. I won't always work at this university, I won't always have these benefits, and I am trying to find a way to make myself enjoy exercising alone without a group or a class or a wellness program behind me. It's a struggle - I'd love to hear how others here motivate themselves to exercise.

I just caught up with this - @AnJen, many congrats. on your weight loss.  I have lost 17 lbs. since June.  I know this might sound like bad advice, but I think it's not good to rely too much on exercise.  At my age of 58 plus working full time I don't have the energy I once had to keep up the level of exercise I once was capable of sustaining, so I have scaled back my expectations somewhat.  It has made me realize that too much exercise actually works against my weight loss as it can make me hungrier, which can make me eat more, thus canceling out or even wrecking up any progress.  I find that there is a "sweet spot" between diet and exercise for every person, and the trick is to find it.  There is one "sweet spot" for weight loss and another for maintenance.  You might be surprised to find that you can be happier with your progress both with fitness and weight loss when you find the right balance between them, plus it doesn't involve killing yourself in any way.  You can actually exercise a little less, but you will also be able to handle eating a little less without feeling deprived.  This may be the problem with our TV "friend" Whitney - She relies too much on exercise but doesn't realize it's making her a lot hungrier, and her hunger is making her eat more than she's burning.

Since I wrote the posts above, about 10 days or so later I broke my right forearm walking to my car in the parking lot at work.  I had just been given the all-clear from my surgeon that I didn't need the gallbladder surgery.  Next thing I know, I'm being taken by ambulance to the emergency room with an open fracture of both bones.  I had to have surgery and spent 2 nights in the hospital.  I had to get over my intense phobia of anesthesia, and thanks to a GREAT anesthesiologist, I came through just fine.  I am now on worker's comp. and recovering.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to drive just yet, and I live in an area w/o sidewalks plus I have no gym equipment at home so I am very limited as to what exercise I can get.  Right now just pacing back and forth in front of my house several times a day is the only exercise I am getting unless Mr. Snarkle takes me out to the supermarket.

I have to tell you that there is nothing like losing the use of a limb to make you scale down your expectations with just about everything (I am still hunting and pecking with my right hand, which takes much longer to do!)  Our society is  so focused on MORE, MORE, MORE, FASTER, FASTER, FASTER.  We eat more, we exercise more, we expect more, we have amped ourselves up to the point that we lose sight of reality.  I have been forced to take a time out and see these things about my own life.  When everything takes me 3 times as long to accomplish plus I have limited ability to accomplish them, I have learned to make do with and to expect less.  The strange thing is that it hasn't affected my weight loss.  There's nothing like being in the hospital and going through traumatic stuff to impact your desire to eat.  What to me used to feel like a small portion now seems large. This experience has forced me to readjust my size perception back to where it probably was when I was young and much thinner.  I have to admit that this has been a revelation to me.  For me, portion size has turned out to be a big factor.  I am now satisfied with much less.  So much of this is psychological, I'm finding.  We have been so conditioned to expect more all the time that we have this internal expectation set up about how large our personal "normal" sized portion should be.  When I think back to what my "normal" portions were 35-40 years ago, they were much smaller than they were this June when I was at my heaviest of 225 lbs., but I got just as much satisfaction out of them.  I think I am back there now again.  The problem is that after a while if I'm not very careful it can start to creep up again and that is what would do me in and weight gain would start again.  Only now I am also being motivated by wanting to keep my gallbladder so I am forced into being good on that basis too.  I am still nervous about it but thankful that I have been successful so far at keeping the hunger monster from sabotaging me.  I know how things can change and the next thing I know nothing's working again.  I went a long time looking for the "right" diet for me without success.  Somehow what I am doing now is working and it's not even a formal diet plan.  I am on the Omada plan, which is an online program where you get a nutritionist and a group with structure.  You have to weigh in and track your food although there is no requirement on how often you need to do that.  There is no structured diet plan but the nutritionist offers great advice and plenty of written material with general guidelines.  It has worked for me where other more structured diets have failed.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, hopefully some of this might be of use to you.  Best of luck!

I happened across this thread and Congratulations to all of you who are working towards better fitness.  It looks like no one has been around here for awhile, but, I wanted to post anyway, just in case someone stops by. 

Apparently, watching this new season of this show gave me some incentive to lose weight.  I'm not in Whit's category, but, would like to lose about 50 pounds. My real incentive was that my underwear was getting tight! lol  I hate that.  I'm not going to buy larger underwear, so, I focused this past week on nutritious food, watched the calories and cut out ALL JUNK.(Basically protein, healthy fats, veggies, fruits and healthy grains.  Man, I can't believe how much better I feel.  Even after only 5 days!  My belly has shrunk down and now, I'm really inspired.  I know it's non-traditional, but, for now, I'm not weighing...I'm just going to work hard until my underwear gets loose. lol Then, I'll weigh and see if I need to lose more. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I happened across this thread and Congratulations to all of you who are working towards better fitness.  It looks like no one has been around here for awhile, but, I wanted to post anyway, just in case someone stops by. 

Apparently, watching this new season of this show gave me some incentive to lose weight.  I'm not in Whit's category, but, would like to lose about 50 pounds. My real incentive was that my underwear was getting tight! lol  I hate that.  I'm not going to buy larger underwear, so, I focused this past week on nutritious food, watched the calories and cut out ALL JUNK.(Basically protein, healthy fats, veggies, fruits and healthy grains.  Man, I can't believe how much better I feel.  Even after only 5 days!  My belly has shrunk down and now, I'm really inspired.  I know it's non-traditional, but, for now, I'm not weighing...I'm just going to work hard until my underwear gets loose. lol Then, I'll weigh and see if I need to lose more. 

I thought of posting here earlier and hesitated because I've never struggled with excess weight, but have been into fitness and nutrition since I was 11. I later became a coach and nutrition mentor, despite having problems with anorexia a few times during my life. 

Glad you're feeling better, and you don't require a scale to monitor progress. Your clothes won't lie.  Congrats on choosing more whole  foods--the less processed the food, the better. One thing I discovered and convey to others is that many healthy things can be found around the perimeter of most grocery stores, with some exceptions. Greens, veggies, fruits, lean meats are all on the perimeter (just avoid the dreaded bakery). I never go into the interior except for things like beans/lentils or occasional canned goods. In the interior you're gonna find more processed stuff, boxed stuff, cookies and crap (with some exceptions of course). 

Another thing people don't get--or like hearing--is that it is very easy to eat back their workouts and that they aren't burning as many calories as they think they are. When I run 6 miles, that's only a 600 calorie burn. Super easy to out-eat a workout if one isn't mindful. Exercise helps and is great, but it's mostly what goes into one's mouth. Can't tell you the number of times I watched someone completed a workout and they then justified going out to eat, turning their 400 calorie burn into an excess of 500. 

I know some people deal with their stress using food and that food addiction is real. I don't know how to help people with that--but for fitness and nutrition general info/ideas, I'm happy to share info as far as that goes.

Edited by Runnergirl
  • Love 1

Runnergirl,

I agree about the workouts. They do make me feel better and I've looked into joining my local Y.  I used to work out a lot, but stopped due to some back and foot injuries.  I used to work out in the gym from 5-6 days a week.  The most that I ran was 5 miles.  Most days I did 3, but, also did some elliptical, a couple of miles on the bike, some machines, floor work, etc.  I wasn't on a strict diet, but, maintained pretty well.  Due to my injuries, I need to focus now more on swimming and bike, elliptical.  The doctor told me that running was out and probably walking.  But, if I lose weight, maybe, that will change. 

I really know what I should and should not eat. I can't use that as an excuse. lol  I've had multiple consults with nutritionist, but, it's the application that is challenging. lol  I'm not a fan of fast food, so that's never been a problem. I'm not a bread fan either.  So, I've done pretty well eating my healthy meals.  My weakness is evening snacking. I'll eat the right foods, but, too much. so I have to watch portion control and count the calories.  

Thanks for your tips.  What brought you to the Whitney threads?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Runnergirl,

I agree about the workouts. They do make me feel better and I've looked into joining my local Y.  I used to work out a lot, but stopped due to some back and foot injuries.  I used to work out in the gym from 5-6 days a week.  The most that I ran was 5 miles.  Most days I did 3, but, also did some elliptical, a couple of miles on the bike, some machines, floor work, etc.  I wasn't on a strict diet, but, maintained pretty well.  Due to my injuries, I need to focus now more on swimming and bike, elliptical.  The doctor told me that running was out and probably walking.  But, if I lose weight, maybe, that will change. 

I really know what I should and should not eat. I can't use that as an excuse. lol  I've had multiple consults with nutritionist, but, it's the application that is challenging. lol  I'm not a fan of fast food, so that's never been a problem. I'm not a bread fan either.  So, I've done pretty well eating my healthy meals.  My weakness is evening snacking. I'll eat the right foods, but, too much. so I have to watch portion control and count the calories.  

Thanks for your tips.  What brought you to the Whitney threads?

Good luck to you. I have injuries too, some from my job and some from my running career (when you train that much, stuff breaks). Getting an elliptical soon to cross train and I love to swim (former lifeguard) but the lake is cold right now. Most of my training is outdoors with hiking, running, swimming. My panic disorder and social anxiety keep me away from crowded gyms. If I'm not in uniform, I can't "people". 

I don't like junk food either. Grew up on a homestead environment so we grew just about everything we ate and processed it ourselves, except some meats and dairy. Never acquired the palette for junk, thank goodness--but I do love crisps. 

As far as the show, I happened to catch an episode of the first season and found myself rooting for her, thinking she was going to embark on a journey to better health (not become a skinny minny or anything like that,  just better health). And at first that's how it seemed to me. She seemed......nicer. Willing to work. I actually liked her. As time went on, she became more unlikeable due to her attitude and excuses. Now I watch more and more to roll my eyes at her.

• Love 1