Type keyword(s) to search

A Little Help From My Friends: How Do YOU Do (A Healthier) You?

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Whaaaaat? No Starbucks super-duper sized frappe with heavy cream and whipped cream? . 

Of course not. You are supposed to have a piece of cake and the whole bottle of wine, silly. 🤪🤪

• LOL 5
23 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Of course not. You are supposed to have a piece of cake and the whole bottle of wine, silly. 🤪🤪

In addition to the frappe and cookie and front seat ice cream, apparently. 

• Love 3
On 5/20/2019 at 3:44 PM, Dot said:

Here's a WaPo article suggesting what to eat pre- & post-exercise.

https://wapo.st/2Q4E2LV

They would be horrified at what I eat when I'm doing serious endurance stuff because it's literally "Anything goes if it won't make me shit my pants."

I ate shrimp cocktail in the middle of a trail marathon because one of the aid stations was themed as a cocktail party. Yep, also drank a flute of champagne. Then I belched for 2 miles.

• LOL 6
  • Love 2

I need some advice, encouragement, input etc. I apologize in advance for the long rambling. I figured you guys would have some good, unbiased thoughts. 

About a year ago I started walking and counting calories to lose some much needed weight. I lost about 40lbs. Then it got to be summer. DC summers are the 8th circle of Hell so I knew I couldn’t keep up the walking outside. I would just feel so drained and almost sick from the heat. So I signed up at a small workout place nearby and started taking Body Scuplting classes. It’s mostly compound exercises with dumbbells. I liked it. Without the walking I didn’t really lose much more weight but lost a couple more inches off my waist and thighs plus I started developing visible arm muscles. When the Fall came, I had trouble fitting both the classes and walking back into my schedule so I ended up not walking as much - a trend that still continues. I made progress with the Body Sculpting classes and definitely got stronger. Didn’t really lose weight. Part of that is my fault - not being a strict with calorie reduction. But I didn’t gain either. I still like the Body Sculpting classes but started realizing my favorite part is the weight training - with the barbells. The instructor does a lot of body weight exercises and balance work too. The balance is hard for me because I have an inner ear issue which makes balance difficult even without the added weight. I can still do the stuff by putting my hand on a wall or a couple fingers on a bar but I feel like every time I have to do that it lessens the effectiveness of the exercise. 

So this spring my allergies leveled me. I missed 3 weeks of working out because it was all I could do to stand up without dizziness and just leaning down to pick something up sent the room spinning. It’s improving now and I need to sign up for the next session of workouts. But it got me thinking - is this what I want to do? We are starting the season of heat so walking will be tabled until the weather improves. We might have a few more days where it’s doable but nothing I can consistently do as a main source of exercise. 

So I can continue with my Body Sculpting - they offer the class 3 times a week. Unfortunately they just changed the Saturday time from 9 am to 8am which for me is early for a weekend day. Makes me wonder if I will go all 3 times a week. I do also do a hip stretch and abs class but mostly because it’s a nice helpful thing and it’s already included in my membership. They have other types of classes - like Barre and Yoga  - but that kind of stuff is not for me. 

Or I can look for something else. I like the weight part of the workout best. So should I be looking for something else? I only know the “big ones” we have here. CrossFit, but that kind of looks like a weird program. It doesn’t seem popular with people here. People seem crazy gaga over OrangeTheory. Anyone know anything about that? I can’t seem to get any information about how it works and I wonder about a program that seems to be a lot of treadmill. I don’t want to pay a ton of money to use a treadmill. Are there other types of gyms I could look for? I can do some stuff myself but the reality of working out at home with other people in the house and kids wanting something is just not promising. 

Thoughts? I feel like I’m in a rut. I either need to get more motivated to get back to Body Sculpting or I need something new to spark me. 

Thanks

57 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

I need some advice, encouragement, input etc. I apologize in advance for the long rambling. I figured you guys would have some good, unbiased thoughts. 

About a year ago I started walking and counting calories to lose some much needed weight. I lost about 40lbs. Then it got to be summer. DC summers are the 8th circle of Hell so I knew I couldn’t keep up the walking outside. I would just feel so drained and almost sick from the heat. So I signed up at a small workout place nearby and started taking Body Scuplting classes. It’s mostly compound exercises with dumbbells. I liked it. Without the walking I didn’t really lose much more weight but lost a couple more inches off my waist and thighs plus I started developing visible arm muscles. When the Fall came, I had trouble fitting both the classes and walking back into my schedule so I ended up not walking as much - a trend that still continues. I made progress with the Body Sculpting classes and definitely got stronger. Didn’t really lose weight. Part of that is my fault - not being a strict with calorie reduction. But I didn’t gain either. I still like the Body Sculpting classes but started realizing my favorite part is the weight training - with the barbells. The instructor does a lot of body weight exercises and balance work too. The balance is hard for me because I have an inner ear issue which makes balance difficult even without the added weight. I can still do the stuff by putting my hand on a wall or a couple fingers on a bar but I feel like every time I have to do that it lessens the effectiveness of the exercise. 

So this spring my allergies leveled me. I missed 3 weeks of working out because it was all I could do to stand up without dizziness and just leaning down to pick something up sent the room spinning. It’s improving now and I need to sign up for the next session of workouts. But it got me thinking - is this what I want to do? We are starting the season of heat so walking will be tabled until the weather improves. We might have a few more days where it’s doable but nothing I can consistently do as a main source of exercise. 

So I can continue with my Body Sculpting - they offer the class 3 times a week. Unfortunately they just changed the Saturday time from 9 am to 8am which for me is early for a weekend day. Makes me wonder if I will go all 3 times a week. I do also do a hip stretch and abs class but mostly because it’s a nice helpful thing and it’s already included in my membership. They have other types of classes - like Barre and Yoga  - but that kind of stuff is not for me. 

Or I can look for something else. I like the weight part of the workout best. So should I be looking for something else? I only know the “big ones” we have here. CrossFit, but that kind of looks like a weird program. It doesn’t seem popular with people here. People seem crazy gaga over OrangeTheory. Anyone know anything about that? I can’t seem to get any information about how it works and I wonder about a program that seems to be a lot of treadmill. I don’t want to pay a ton of money to use a treadmill. Are there other types of gyms I could look for? I can do some stuff myself but the reality of working out at home with other people in the house and kids wanting something is just not promising. 

Thoughts? I feel like I’m in a rut. I either need to get more motivated to get back to Body Sculpting or I need something new to spark me. 

Thanks

Well.... you could try a different gym, perhaps one that is bigger and has more class offerings. I think you'd like either Les Mills Body Pump or Mossa Power. Both are built around weights. Power incorporates some cardio, which could replace your walking. 

I don't know where you are in DC but you can use the Mossa and Les Mills websites to find gyms near you that offer their classes. 

1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

Thanks

Orange Theory  has a free class to try ot out per their website.Just FYI

(edited)

@3girlsforus you and I sound like workout twins! I have to go to the gym to work out, It's like some sort of brain block for me, working out at home; I just can't do it. And I love love love weight training. I started a couple years ago and it truly was a fitness epiphany for me. I feel like a superhero when I get a good workout in. 

Does your gym now have free weights and machines, or is it a boutique? If it does, you might splurge on a couple sessions with a trainer, with the understanding that you'd like her to create a program for you that you can maintain on your own (with occasional checkups and adjustments). A trainer might be able to bust your rut too. 

I go to Planet Fitness, which is ten bucks a month and a really nice, comfortable place to work out. It's a brand new one so everything's so clean and shiny. They don't have group fitness, but I never used that at my last gym so I decided to stop paying more for it. 

Good luck! I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide. 

Edited by Pachengala
typos

@3girlsforus - I've done Orange Theory for a couple of months now.  I too dislike treadmills (and running in general) so I still inwardly groan when it's treadmill time in class.  However, the instructors keep things moving along pretty nicely.  You alternate frequently from your base pace to your push pace to your all-out maximum pace.  Power walkers can increase intensity by altering incline rather than speed.  And also (at my gym at least) a few stationary bikes are available as an alternative to the treadmills.

There are a couple different class formats but in general it'll look like this: half of the time will be cardio split between treadmills and rowing machines.  The other half will be strength training with weights, medicine balls, TRX bands, and so on.  You alternate between activities to keep your heart rate up.

I used to attend a gym that offered Body Pump, which I loved, but due to time constraints I switched to OTF which was closer to home and combined cardio into the hour.  If you enjoy weights I think you too would like both Body Pump and the strength training portion of OTF, but if cardio is also a priority I'd give the edge to OTF.       

• Useful 1

I'm unable to comment on the various types of gyms/gym activities.

But have you ever thought about mall-walking in those miserable hot summer days? AZChristian, who left this forum when AK was being ruined for her, swears by it. She & her hubby slowly worked their way up to 10,000 steps a day. They are both septuagenarians living in AZ so summer-walking outside is also impossible for them.

Anyway, good luck finding an exercise routine that works & makes you happy. Let us know what you decide.

• Love 3

Thanks for all of the advice. I’m going to look into some other programs in our area and see if I like any of them better. My current gym has a special going on that if you sign up for a session in June you get an extra 2 weeks for free. So I figure I’ll try some free days other places in the next couple of weeks and then if I decide to go back to my gym it will be June and I’ll get the special :-). 

Dot - walking in our mall is a little tricky. It’s about 10 minutes from here but it’s only open for walking early in the morning which would mean going during rush hour - making it about 30 minutes from here. So it’s doable but I really despise driving in rush hour traffic so the reality is that I probably would talk myself out of it :-). 

• Love 1
On 5/22/2019 at 6:16 AM, cherenkov said:

They would be horrified at what I eat when I'm doing serious endurance stuff because it's literally "Anything goes if it won't make me shit my pants."

I ate shrimp cocktail in the middle of a trail marathon because one of the aid stations was themed as a cocktail party. Yep, also drank a flute of champagne. Then I belched for 2 miles.

I knew a guy who did ultras and he'd have pizzas waiting for him during races. Like, where do you poop? How do ultra runners plan for that? That's my biggest issue and worry even doing half-marathons (oh shit--literally). 

They'd be horrified that I eat a late-night snack before bed to be digested and ready to go for my morning runs so I don't have to eat before I head out (because, digestive issues/wheat intolerance = untimely diarrhea). Unless it's over 9 miles, I never have an issue with glycogen stores running low; anything over 9 miles and I eat a mashed banana or two and refuel as needed (and hope my bowels cooperate). 

On 5/26/2019 at 1:51 PM, TurtlePower said:

I knew a guy who did ultras and he'd have pizzas waiting for him during races. Like, where do you poop? How do ultra runners plan for that? That's my biggest issue and worry even doing half-marathons (oh shit--literally). 

Larger road races usually have porta shitters along the course, typically at the same relative distance as other aid stations.

In trail races you avail yourself of the bushes if there are no porta shitters. There is no glamour in endurance sports. I'm pretty sure hundreds of people have seen me taking a piss at this point. It is considered polite not to stare.

• Love 1
On 5/29/2019 at 8:08 AM, cherenkov said:

Larger road races usually have porta shitters along the course, typically at the same relative distance as other aid stations.

In trail races you avail yourself of the bushes if there are no porta shitters. There is no glamour in endurance sports. I'm pretty sure hundreds of people have seen me taking a piss at this point. It is considered polite not to stare.

I kinda figured but wasn't sure. It's gotta be hard when it's an open course and you really gotta go. I do whatever I can to avoid it, even though it was a normal part of my life for years (remote backcountry work).  Doing that job I had to eat more and could not avoid having to go in the bush--I accepted it but never got "used" to it. Luckily there weren't bunches of other people around. 

Anyone have thoughts on cycling classes? I’m still on the lookout for a new workout place and today I tried a cycling class. The place is small which I like and has a variety of classes. The class I tried had 30 minutes of cycling followed by 15 - 20 minutes of weight training with bands and kettle balls. They also offer 45 and 60 minute just cycling classes, a 30 minute cycle class, kettle balls only class (no cycling) and a HIIT type class with 10 minutes bike, 10 minutes weights back and forth. 

I’m not sure how I feel about it. I felt like I was going to die when it was over but I’m not sure I should use that as an indicator of good or bad. I had no idea how to judge what was ok for me so I seriously overdid it at the beginning of the ride and was dying at the end. The instructor told me to start slow but I should have listened to that more carefully. This isn’t a class with weird dancing or synchronized stuff I hear can be part of spin classes. It felt like normal people working out. 

I like that they have options that are cardio and weight training together so that part is attractive. Is this kind of thing effective? I don’t want to combine cardio and weights and end up doing neither enough to have an effect. The owner of the studio was nice and didn’t make fun of me when I thought I was going to die LOL. 

Thoughts? 

20 hours ago, 3girlsforus said:

Anyone have thoughts on cycling classes? I’m still on the lookout for a new workout place and today I tried a cycling class. The place is small which I like and has a variety of classes. The class I tried had 30 minutes of cycling followed by 15 - 20 minutes of weight training with bands and kettle balls. They also offer 45 and 60 minute just cycling classes, a 30 minute cycle class, kettle balls only class (no cycling) and a HIIT type class with 10 minutes bike, 10 minutes weights back and forth. 

I’m not sure how I feel about it. I felt like I was going to die when it was over but I’m not sure I should use that as an indicator of good or bad. I had no idea how to judge what was ok for me so I seriously overdid it at the beginning of the ride and was dying at the end. The instructor told me to start slow but I should have listened to that more carefully. This isn’t a class with weird dancing or synchronized stuff I hear can be part of spin classes. It felt like normal people working out. 

I like that they have options that are cardio and weight training together so that part is attractive. Is this kind of thing effective? I don’t want to combine cardio and weights and end up doing neither enough to have an effect. The owner of the studio was nice and didn’t make fun of me when I thought I was going to die LOL. 

Thoughts? 

I took a cycling class at my gym. The seat killed me! I wasnt wearing the proper shorts i felt like i had a bad case of diaper rash LOL!!!

2 hours ago, Nicmar said:

I took a cycling class at my gym. The seat killed me! I wasnt wearing the proper shorts i felt like i had a bad case of diaper rash LOL!!!

If you decide to pursue cycling classes, invest in a pair of padded bike shorts. Otherwise you'll feel as if you've been on a month long honeymoon and saw nothing but ceiling. 

• LOL 2
39 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

If you decide to pursue cycling classes, invest in a pair of padded bike shorts.

Where does one buy something like that? (I'm too crippled up to use a bike, even a stationary one. I'm just curious.)

Where does one buy something like that?

Most bike shops as well as catalogues carry them. I have a pair and resisted wearing them for years since I thought they would feel like wearing a girdle as well as show every bump and bulge. My former husband had a pair that weren't lycra but made to look like cotton shorts but had the padding and he said he felt as if he was wearing a diaper.

That being said, I just returned from a trip where we biked in some of the most bike friendly countries in Europe. My bf was chagrined to see women in skirts and high heels travelling to work and easily passing him. Our biggest day was around 46 miles and I wasn't wearing bike shorts although I was a little saddle sore at the end but I don't think my clothing made much of a difference.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

If you decide to pursue cycling classes, invest in a pair of padded bike shorts. Otherwise you'll feel as if you've been on a month long honeymoon and saw nothing but ceiling. 

LOL!! It’s been a while since I’ve felt that way and not sure cycling is how I want to feel that way again :-). Fortunately the place I went had an option of a padded seat cover. It helped some and I noticed several women brought their own which seemed even more padded. Apparently they run about 20 bucks which seems worthwhile. 

I still have to admit there are bones down there I’m not sure I realized I had 🙂

1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

LOL!! It’s been a while since I’ve felt that way and not sure cycling is how I want to feel that way again :-). Fortunately the place I went had an option of a padded seat cover. It helped some and I noticed several women brought their own which seemed even more padded. Apparently they run about 20 bucks which seems worthwhile. 

I still have to admit there are bones down there I’m not sure I realized I had 🙂

Yup. Been there done that. Padded seats didn't help me, but padded shorts did. YMMV.

12 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Yup. Been there done that. Padded seats didn't help me, but padded shorts did. YMMV.

In the days I was using a stationary bike, I was unaware of padded bike shorts. But I can sure attest to the comfort a padded seat affords. I loved my fuzzy, padded seat cover & it was well worth its price to me.

On 6/5/2019 at 7:18 AM, Dot said:

In the days I was using a stationary bike, I was unaware of padded bike shorts. But I can sure attest to the comfort a padded seat affords. I loved my fuzzy, padded seat cover & it was well worth its price to me.

The bike discomfort thing is the main reason I can never do a triathlon.

Running? Been doing that since age 11. I'm slower now but still do it as my main exercise. 

Swimming? Got that, I was a beach lifeguard.

Bicycling? Not so much. 2 back surgeries, a torn right glute + the most uncomfortable seats EVER have kept me off of bicycling. Couldn't even do it in a gym (I tried). I can handle a recumbent, but am unsure whether it's worth bothering with one of those. 

49 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

The bike discomfort thing is the main reason I can never do a triathlon.

I forgot to mention that in addition to my padded seat cover I bought an extra large bike seat (saddle?) That also made a BIG difference in terms of comfort.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Hey y'all I haven't posted much in the MBFFL forums lately...staying away for my mental health. But the other day I weighed myself and was within 0.5 pounds of my just-kill-me-now weight. I shouldn't have been surprised because I have been feeling horrible for a few weeks. Achy joints, a twisted knee that just won't heal, inability to walk more than a few steps without hip pain. So I'm getting serious, my goal is to lose 80 pounds in about 8-9 months.

I am doing the free trial for Noom and will probably go ahead and pay for it (I'm only on day 3 so who knows). My coach is really good (I heard that some of them are like bots) and the colored food log system is helping me see that I eat WAY too much. Like really poor choices.

I'm cautiously optimistic...they ask you to set a "why" (tm Meri!) and mine is to be able to enjoy my upcoming early retirement to the fullest - travel, gardening, etc.

So if you have any Noom tips or just want to give me high five via a like, I'd appreciate it.

Edited by SongbirdHollow
  • Love 10

Warning: Frustrated rant ahead. 

I'm about to head out on a run. I feel really good and anticipate it could be an overall, beneficial workout except, one thing: The wind. 40 mph sustained and 50 mph gusts. 

I will run through many things--heat, cold, rain, snow. But I HATE the wind. HAAAAATE. I'm going to go out anyways and probably have a tantrum at getting sandblasted (I live in the desert) and blown around. I live in the middle of nowhere, an hour from any gym. The outdoors is my gym in addition to my weight set (also outside). Today, for some reason, I'm overly angry and resentful at the weather. Like, why today? Why the fuck does it have to be THIS WINDY today? The tub cover has already blown off and tree branches have already broken. It's like my entire day is ruined. I want to take a baseball bat and swing it at whatever will make this wind STOP. 

Sometimes I wonder, is this a normal response to having one's workout disrupted (or is it my autism)? I'm so pissed right now! Not going is not an option and it's too hot to wear the ski goggles I keep on hand for windy days. So. Fucking. ANGRY. Fuck this wind, I'll show it. 

Rant over

• Love 2

Nope, I’m totally with you. I LOATHE THE WIND. I’m known for it among my friends and family, how much I hate the wind. It is the very worst of the weathers. I’m impressed you went out anyway. I would have probably stayed in and done a workout dvd (read: crabbily drink a glass of wine and bitch about the wind).

• Love 1
1 hour ago, TurtlePower said:

Warning: Frustrated rant ahead. 

I'm about to head out on a run. I feel really good and anticipate it could be an overall, beneficial workout except, one thing: The wind. 40 mph sustained and 50 mph gusts. 

I will run through many things--heat, cold, rain, snow. But I HATE the wind. HAAAAATE. I'm going to go out anyways and probably have a tantrum at getting sandblasted (I live in the desert) and blown around. I live in the middle of nowhere, an hour from any gym. The outdoors is my gym in addition to my weight set (also outside). Today, for some reason, I'm overly angry and resentful at the weather. Like, why today? Why the fuck does it have to be THIS WINDY today? The tub cover has already blown off and tree branches have already broken. It's like my entire day is ruined. I want to take a baseball bat and swing it at whatever will make this wind STOP. 

Sometimes I wonder, is this a normal response to having one's workout disrupted (or is it my autism)? I'm so pissed right now! Not going is not an option and it's too hot to wear the ski goggles I keep on hand for windy days. So. Fucking. ANGRY. Fuck this wind, I'll show it. 

Rant over

Sounds like my response to thunderstorms. Dammit, why couldn't it wait until after my swim to thunder and lightning? And I'll still go lift, but my whole day is ruined. 

Is it normal? Ummmm, since I tend toward Sheldon Cooper behavior, I'm probably not qualified to answer that. 

• LOL 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Pachengala said:

Nope, I’m totally with you. I LOATHE THE WIND. I’m known for it among my friends and family, how much I hate the wind. It is the very worst of the weathers. I’m impressed you went out anyway. I would have probably stayed in and done a workout dvd (read: crabbily drink a glass of wine and bitch about the wind).

1 hour ago, Colleenna said:

Sounds like my response to thunderstorms. Dammit, why couldn't it wait until after my swim to thunder and lightning? And I'll still go lift, but my whole day is ruined. 

Is it normal? Ummmm, since I tend toward Sheldon Cooper behavior, I'm probably not qualified to answer that. 

Update: The universe hates me. 

After having a mini-meltdown, I went out anyways. About a mile in, I started to calm down a bit and thought, "Ok, even with the wind, I can manage this." About 10 seconds after thinking this, a car blasts past me sending a cloud of dust and rocks right into my face. Didn't even slow down, didn't even care. YOU. FUCKING. ASSHOLE! Because of the dust I was blinded for about 3 minutes, waiting for my eyes to tear up enough to clear some of the dust (had another meltdown which included extra tears). After that, I rolled my ankle and spooked some of the open-range cattle (and had to change my route) but mostly it was the actions of the thoughtless human that sent me over the edge. 

Most of the time I'm good at mitigating variables that trigger me either by avoiding them or doings things a specific way to lessen their effect (parking a certain place, taking a specific route, doing things in a certain order, etc.). Today it's like the universe told me to go fuck myself. 

Edited by TurtlePower
  • LOL 1

Oh dear, @Turtle Power, I fear I've been one of those thoughtless drivers occasionally over the years. (Tho I've never lived in a sandy place, so maybe I've never blown dirt in a jogger's face.)

Anyway, can you suggest the appropriate way to drive past a jogger? My current method is to move over as close to the center line as possible, but I don't think I slow down.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Update: The universe hates me. 

After having a mini-meltdown, I went out anyways. About a mile in, I started to calm down a bit and thought, "Ok, even with the wind, I can manage this." About 10 seconds after thinking this, a car blasts past me sending a cloud of dust and rocks right into my face. Didn't even slow down, didn't even care. YOU. FUCKING. ASSHOLE! Because of the dust I was blinded for about 3 minutes, waiting for my eyes to tear up enough to clear some of the dust (had another meltdown which included extra tears). After that, I rolled my ankle and spooked some of the open-range cattle (and had to change my route) but mostly it was the actions of the thoughtless human that sent me over the edge. 

Most of the time I'm good at mitigating variables that trigger me either by avoiding them or doings things a specific way to lessen their effect (parking a certain place, taking a specific route, doing things in a certain order, etc.). Today it's like the universe told me to go fuck myself. 

My husband is no longer a triathlete because of an asshole like that. He was out for one of his long runs, about 6 miles in, when some dickface aimed his car directly at him. Hubs jumped off the road to avoid being killed and landed in a gopher hole. After several weeks of thinking it was just a sprained ankle, he went to the doctor. He had spaghetti-fied the tendons and ligaments in his ankle. He had the ankle equivalent of Tommy John surgery, plus several screws. No more running. (And he was a bitch to live with the first six months of not being able to run.) 

19 hours ago, Dot said:

Oh dear, @Turtle Power, I fear I've been one of those thoughtless drivers occasionally over the years. (Tho I've never lived in a sandy place, so maybe I've never blown dirt in a jogger's face.)

Anyway, can you suggest the appropriate way to drive past a jogger? My current method is to move over as close to the center line as possible, but I don't think I slow down.

I should have qualified the incident by stating I live on dirt roads. The appropriate way to pass a pedestrian out here is simply to slow down to not dust the person out (versus racing past at 40 mph). Driving past a person at that speed on dirt roads is kind of like driving past with a giant middle finger out the window. 

My ski goggle would have prevented this issue, but it's too hot to wear them this time of year. 

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Colleenna said:

My husband is no longer a triathlete because of an asshole like that. He was out for one of his long runs, about 6 miles in, when some dickface aimed his car directly at him. Hubs jumped off the road to avoid being killed and landed in a gopher hole. After several weeks of thinking it was just a sprained ankle, he went to the doctor. He had spaghetti-fied the tendons and ligaments in his ankle. He had the ankle equivalent of Tommy John surgery, plus several screws. No more running. (And he was a bitch to live with the first six months of not being able to run.) 

Gosh people can suck. I'm sure the driver has no idea what he has done (I really hope karma is real). Stuff like this makes me lose faith in humanity. Sometimes I don't think we deserve to be on this planet at all with what we do to one another. Of course, my data is skewed due to my position in public safety so I got to see the shitty side of people (and I've had some terrible things done to me as well).

As a side note (and sort of another rant), I'm taking a break from that path this summer and reassessing things. I'm so sick of the public. We're there to help them and it's never good enough. It's never fast enough. Some of them dare to tell US they demand a helicopter because they are "in a hurry". In the decade I've been doing this job, I can count on one hand and 2 fingers the amount of genuine thanks I've received from the public. We don't do this for the glory, but occasional thanks would be nice. Instead we get, "WHAT"S TAKING YOU SO LONG!" 

3 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

In the decade I've been doing this job, I can count on one hand and 2 fingers the amount of genuine thanks I've received from the public. We don't do this for the glory, but occasional thanks would be nice. Instead we get, "WHAT"S TAKING YOU SO LONG!" 

For what it's worth, thank you! I truly appreciate the work law enforcement, fire fighters, EMTs provide to us, the public. For example, a couple of years ago, I fell. I wasn't hurt, but I couldn't rise unassisted. Were it not for 2 hunky firemen who got me back on my feet after I called 9-1-1, I hate to think what my fate would have been. (I hope I expressed my gratitude sufficiently to them.)

• Love 2
On 6/23/2019 at 10:05 AM, TurtlePower said:

I should have qualified the incident by stating I live on dirt roads. The appropriate way to pass a pedestrian out here is simply to slow down to not dust the person out (versus racing past at 40 mph). Driving past a person at that speed on dirt roads is kind of like driving past with a giant middle finger out the window. 

My ski goggle would have prevented this issue, but it's too hot to wear them this time of year. 

I love the wind as long as its not strong gusts and rain.

I have three people in my life that have very different respiratory health issues so I decided to try my hand at the Hustle Up the Hancock. Thankfully it's not until the end of February, but I'm starting my training now. I'm in decent shape but I'm more worried endurance.  

• Love 1

Update: I’ve been using Noom for four weeks now and have officially lost 10.5 pounds! The time has flown by. It’s really working for me. I’ve always known what to do but had trouble figuring out how to do it. Noom really helps with that. 

• Love 2
On 4/30/2019 at 9:35 AM, TurtlePower said:

I've learned to not mind feeling hungry. I think in our culture of plenty, for many people, feeling "hungry" is not how it used to be for us as a species. Feeling "hungry" can be slightly uncomfortable, but as long as one isn't hypoglycemic or lightheaded, is not dangerous. 

This.  I don't know when the idea that when an adult, or even a child over the age of four, feels hungry, she needs a snack.  We were never given snacks when I was a kid, and with only a couple of dramatic exceptions, none of us was overweight.  We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Maybe, if we were watching a movie on tv, the whole family would share a batch of popcorn--my mother would give each of us a paper napkin with one corner filled, about a cup of popcorn.

IMO no one needs a snack ever unless there is a medical reason for it.  Babies and small children are growing and need to be fed when they are hungry, but those of us who are full-grown should be able to wait for the next meal to eat.  I've found that if you wait out feelings of hunger, they subside.  It is not coincidental that Dr. Now's first rule is nothing to eat between meals.  I think most of us could lose a significant amount of weight by not consuming any calories outside of meals.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

Update: I’ve been using Noom for four weeks now and have officially lost 10.5 pounds! The time has flown by. It’s really working for me. I’ve always known what to do but had trouble figuring out how to do it. Noom really helps with that. 

Can you break down what Noom is? I've seen the ads but I was too skeptical to even look into it but I could rock with 10lbs in 4 weeks. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Brooklynista said:

Can you break down what Noom is? I've seen the ads but I was too skeptical to even look into it but I could rock with 10lbs in 4 weeks. 

I'd be interested in knowing what Noom is, too, @Songbirdhollow.

• Love 1

So Noom is a food/exercise logging app + daily lessons/behavioral mod tasks + personal coach (text) + group support.

Up front I'll say that their pricing is the iffy thing. They seem to charge different folks different prices. However, I'm told if you decline the first offer, they offer you a better deal. I took the deal they gave me which was $19/month for 8 months to lose 80 lbs. 

Truly no food is off limits. As long as you stick to your calorie target you can eat whatever. They categorize foods as red (fats, treats), yellow (whole grains, lean meats) and green (veggies and fruits) and break down your calorie target within those groups to help you hit a healthy balance. If you click "analysis" you get a graphic showing how you're doing.

Every day you click on daily lessons in the app. It's mostly about the psychology of weight loss. They call them #psychtricks. There are quizzes and lots of encouragement. Not every trick will apply to every person so you take what works for you and leave the rest. I have learned some new things.

You weigh in daily and they have a little chart that shows your progress.

The personal coach checks in at least weekly to help you set mini goals (take lunch to work 3 times this week; drink 5 glasses of water a day, etc.)  and answer questions. Caveat: I don't know what the qualifications of these coaches are. They seem knowledgeable to me. I'm told if you don't like your coach you can request a different one.

After two weeks you join a group and have a group coach as well. She/he is there to facilitate discussions and encourage. You don't have to participate.

There is an exercise log and step counter. Your calorie count gets adjusted depending on how active you are. Sometimes I'm a little over my target calories and I'll add exercise so I meet the target.

I think that what really works for me is the behavioral modification. Intellectually I know less calories + more exercise equals weight loss, but HOW to do that without feeling deprived or hungry was hard for me. With Noom I have figured out how to eat so that I'm satisfied.

They don't try to upsell you vitamins or anything once you're in. The program is the program. It does charge you for the whole thing up front (not month by month) and will renew unless you notify your coach to cancel.

If you are self-disciplined enough to meet your calorie and exercise targets, Noom might not have anything to offer you. It's pretty simple. A lot of people just use My Fitness Pal and that's all they need. I'm happy with Noom and feel I'm getting something from it. 

Happy to answer any other questions you have!

• Useful 6

Thank you so much for that explanation of Noom, @SongbirdHollow. I have been curious since seeing the TV ads & your description of it was very complete.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

So Noom is a food/exercise logging app + daily lessons/behavioral mod tasks + personal coach (text) + group support.

Up front I'll say that their pricing is the iffy thing. They seem to charge different folks different prices. However, I'm told if you decline the first offer, they offer you a better deal. I took the deal they gave me which was $19/month for 8 months to lose 80 lbs. 

Truly no food is off limits. As long as you stick to your calorie target you can eat whatever. They categorize foods as red (fats, treats), yellow (whole grains, lean meats) and green (veggies and fruits) and break down your calorie target within those groups to help you hit a healthy balance. If you click "analysis" you get a graphic showing how you're doing.

Every day you click on daily lessons in the app. It's mostly about the psychology of weight loss. They call them #psychtricks. There are quizzes and lots of encouragement. Not every trick will apply to every person so you take what works for you and leave the rest. I have learned some new things.

You weigh in daily and they have a little chart that shows your progress.

The personal coach checks in at least weekly to help you set mini goals (take lunch to work 3 times this week; drink 5 glasses of water a day, etc.)  and answer questions. Caveat: I don't know what the qualifications of these coaches are. They seem knowledgeable to me. I'm told if you don't like your coach you can request a different one.

After two weeks you join a group and have a group coach as well. She/he is there to facilitate discussions and encourage. You don't have to participate.

There is an exercise log and step counter. Your calorie count gets adjusted depending on how active you are. Sometimes I'm a little over my target calories and I'll add exercise so I meet the target.

I think that what really works for me is the behavioral modification. Intellectually I know less calories + more exercise equals weight loss, but HOW to do that without feeling deprived or hungry was hard for me. With Noom I have figured out how to eat so that I'm satisfied.

They don't try to upsell you vitamins or anything once you're in. The program is the program. It does charge you for the whole thing up front (not month by month) and will renew unless you notify your coach to cancel.

If you are self-disciplined enough to meet your calorie and exercise targets, Noom might not have anything to offer you. It's pretty simple. A lot of people just use My Fitness Pal and that's all they need. I'm happy with Noom and feel I'm getting something from it. 

Happy to answer any other questions you have!

I wonder if the coaches on this app is anything like what Teddi Mellencamp from Real Housewives of Beverly Hills does?

• Love 2