Type keyword(s) to search

A Little Help From My Friends: How Do YOU Do (A Healthier) You?

• Start Topic

Here's your topic for discussing how you try to be healthy (diet, exercise regimen, etc), what works for you and what doesn't. 

A couple points:

Do NOT tell others that their methods are wrong; what doesn't work for you may work for someone else and vice versa, so let's respect each other's opinions.

And there should be NO Whitney/MBFFL talk in this thread.  No comparisons, no "I do this but Whitney never would..." or anything similar.

We're doing this on a trial basis, so we'll see how it goes. 

• Love 5

Thanks for starting this!  I will add a couple of things that are working for me.  Been obese/morbidly obese most of my adult life.  Now that I am 65 I have

finally managed to find something that has worked for me the last two years.  I have managed to lose 92 lbs over the last two years (with about 60 more to go) because I have found a weight loss group that works for me.  I have tried weight watchers, a dietician, diet doctor, nothing worked.  But this group, affiliated with my church does.  So for those inclined I would suggest finding a weight loss support group that you can connect with.  Also have cut way back on my carbs.  I find when I eat less carbs and more protein not only am I far less hungry but I lose weight faster.  The weight loss hasn't been fast, but it has been pretty steady and that is best for me.  I lose it too fast, and I have in the past, and I put it back on pretty quickly.   Due to some heart issues I cannot do any strenuous exercise but I do swim 3 times a week and on other days I do a yoga class or walk.  It has taken me a good 40 years to learn that I don't need a starvation or a no carb diet and I don't need to kill myself in the gym to lose weight steadily and keep it off. 

Edited by abbey
typo
  • Love 9

I log what I eat (my app says I lose 1 lb a week on about 1720 calories a day) and focus on high fiber, about 40 grams a day, and lots of water, over 100 oz a day. Because I eat high fiber, I choose healthy foods including veggies, fruit and whole grains, and there isn't much room in my calorie budget for junk. The fiber and water helps me feel amazing which is good motivation to continue. I also walk regularly including long walks (currently 14 miles) on the weekends. I'll eat more and junkier foods on my long walk days because I have the calories in my budget for it, and it feels like a nice treat to have a cupcake or something after walking that far. So far I've gone from 211 lb to 161 in 8 months and it's been easy/painless. I'm training for another marathon now so I'll probably end up around 150 lb ultimately.

• Love 7

I need to get back on track myself, but I know what works for me - cutting carbs and getting more exercise.  I love carbs/sugar, but I'm insulin resistant, so they are like death bombs to my body.  I currently get my 10,000 steps in most days, and do more on Saturdays.  I'm hoping to start cutting the carbs and get back to losing the weight (need to lose about 80 lbs).  I would love it if you guys would urge me on.  :)

• Love 9

I'm on WW for the elebenty-millionth time and this time it's... different.  The program changed the formula for how points are calculated so we are pointed (pun intended!) in the direction of eating cleaner, with processed foods penalized in favour of real foods.  I've lost 30 lbs in 8 months, which is awesome for a 60-year-old chronically overweight and now Type II diabetic woman.  I also walk an average of 12-15,000 steps daily.  The best part is that I was able to eliminate my evening shot of insulin (from 24 units to ZERO!) and will hopefully be tapering down on my morning shot as well.

Ocean Chick, you can do this!  If you have a Garmin, let me know and we can challenge each other.   

• Love 7

About a year ago, I lost the 30 lbs I'd been wanting to lose for years. I didn't do it the healthy way though. I was diagnosed with a perforated Duodenal Ulcer that led to perotonitis that took me very near death's door.

Needless to say, since then, I've really been listening to my body much more closely. I'm   finding that my body usually tells me what it needs. I have real, honest-to-goodness  cravings for veggies, fruits, milk, and many other foods. I know it sounds weird, but I figured if I'm having a fierce craving for cauliflower and broccoli, my body is telling me it needs something these foods contain. I do watch overall calories too though, but not rigidly.

I've started walking program for exercise and would love an accountability buddy to help keep me motivated and on track. Anyone interested?

• Love 3

Hi TotoGirl!   I'll be happy to be your accountability buddy.  

Last night, I craved edemame instead of popcorn.  it's amazing what happens when we listen to our bodies instead of the ads on TV!  For me, this is overcoming years of training as well as my emeritus membership in the Clean Plate Club.  

@IOU Payne - I don't have a Garmin, but I'm thinking about getting a fitbit so I don't have to carry my phone with me every time I walk just to keep track of my steps.  Okay - let's do this thing, yes?  I'm getting excited for my new lease on life here.  I will NOT be a Twit!  I'll be FIT instead.

• Love 5

Ex-member of the Clean Plate Club here too!

I STILL have nightmares from a Christmas Eve when I was young and no one could open presents until I ate all my cooked beets. I HATE BEETS!!! Still do to this day!!! (WHY my Mom served cooked beets on Christmas Eve, I'll never know....)

Edited by TotoGirl
  • Love 3

Can we sing "Don't be a Twit, just be Fit" to the tune of "Don't be a drag, just be a queen" from "Born This Way?"  I could channel Gaga, if need be.  

So, how do we do this challenge?  If I started a private FB page, that would work, or we could just use this thread.

Confession:  I would have taken your beets, TotoGirl.  If you've ever roasted them with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, you may be pleasantly surprised.  

• Love 2

Love the enthusiasm and motto, and Lady GaGa tune ! 

For me, my parents made me stay at the kitchen table alone until abt 9 pm,  until I ate a small piece of steak. ...yes, steak. 

I was raised in Nebraska and we had red meat almost 4/7  days per week,  with fish on Friday and chicken on Sunday, and pork whenever.  It just got tiring. 

Now I eat seafood most of the time.  

Thanks to everyone for their brilliant, yet diverse, like- mindedness regarding  Twit. Or should I just call it intelligence with self respect for ourselves?  

• Love 3

It is interesting how many people's parents forced them to eat everything on their plates. I've had to shut my husband down a few times when he tries to pull that "don't waste any food" crap with our toddler (he's SIXTEEN MONTHS OLD, FFS). I'm like "you will NOT give MY son a terrible relationship with food, not on my watch." As long as my son tries everything, I don't get too upset about him wasting food. That's what kids do. We can just put it in the fridge and try again :)

I like the support here! From now on if I do something good (like exercise a lot) or bad (like eat a bag of Cheetos, the whole bag), I will post about it. We can be our own little cast of My Big Fit Fabulous Life!

• Love 8

Yeah, I had to sit at the table until bedtime a few times, for refusing to eat various food.  Seafood/fish was the worst.  I still don't like them.  Hated mushrooms as well.  Always loved beets and spinach and Brussels sprouts though.  Still do.

@Cherrio - sending good vibes to you today!

• Love 4

I started in 2013. Lost 70 pounds in total and kept it off (with 5 pounds up and down). 

I went through the Dr. Poon Metabolic Program which is wonderful.  Basically it's a low carb, low sodium and little or no sugar lifestyle change.  But I have realized that I am a food addict and will always be a food addict.   

It's wonderful finding alternatives for some regular foods.  Just the other day I found the spices to copy cat  Uncle Ben's Wild rice recipe. Using the spices that are listed, I riced some cauliflower and had it with some grilled fish.

Good luck with it everyone!  And remember  Don't Quit, Just be FIT!

Edited by greekmom
as per OnceSane's suggestion
  • Love 6

I'm loving this thread and would love to join in!

I'm amazed by how many people's parents forced them to clean their plates.  I had the opposite childhood experience:  I pretty much ate what I wanted, within reason, and didn't have to try anything that didn't interest me.  That has bled into my adulthood.  There are many foods I won't eat (all seafood, many fruits and veggies).  I eat the same basic foods week-in and week-out.  And I am clinically obese.  And I blame my parents.  LOL, just kidding (a little). 

I have tried Weight Watchers several times, have joined several gyms, and have several pieces of equipment in my basement home-gym.  Next month I'm starting a 1-year diabetes prevention program.  My technique is to try everything and see what sticks.

I look forward to taking part in this wonderful thread!

• Love 5

Hi,

Thank you again for the hugs and good wishes.  It helps a lot.     I am still not up to start posting my story or tidbits, except this one thing.  

The shit storm has to do with a neighbor.  After being warned to stop trashing my property and continuing to do it, he now got a summons to court.

So, he decided to lie and report me for doing the same thing.    Of course the moron doesn't realize that EVERYTHING I do outside is videotaped and I have done nothing wrong.  But it upset me because this process has cost me a lot of time and money and it really pissed me off.

Its hard to me to write even on a good day because of a B.P. med. which fries my brain.

BUT !!       I called my other neighbor last night because I was so upset and she kept telling me this is your home, you do what you want and don't let him stop you.      

So, this morning I went outside and did my yard work.   I told myself, F  him, I am doing to clean up and ignore him.     Its the first time in a long time I haven't waited for him to leave before I go outside. (No, I wasn't always a wuss)

So, the reason I am posting this is not for a pat on the back.       I am posting because for anyone who is so tempted by something unhealthy food or knowing today is a work out day and you are dreading it........DON'T EAT IT  and or DO the workout.   You will feel so much better.   I feel so much better now that I called my neighbor to thank her for encouraging me.  Each day you make some progress is one day closer to the time where it will have become a healthy habit and no longer a struggle.

• Love 8

So sorry you're dealing with that, @Cherrio. I find drama at home especially upsetting because this is supposed to be our port in the storm. I hope that jerk moves!

Topic? Thanks for this board--I love talking about health and fitness! A couple years ago I lost 50 pounds with WW (I love WW--I credit it with teaching me how to eat) and am now in the process of losing the 30 lbs I gained during pregnancy. I am just using My Fitness Pal to log food, as I learned enough through WW to go it alone this time. I work out every morning--it's how I keep from being a groggy zombie with no energy--but I just recently started doing weight training in addition to cardio, with my fiancé's coaching. OMG I LOVE IT. Not only is my nagging pregnancy back, groin, and sciatic pain just gone, I feel like a superhero when I leave the gym. I'm excited to see if it helps my running in any way too; I ran a half in 2012 and missed my goal time by like 20 minutes, so I'm thinking about training for another to see if I can't hit it. 

So, that's me. I'm super looking forward to hearing others' stories, regimens, and tips. Go team!

• Love 4

Anyone else have a rough time with summer heat? I walk outside (hate the treadmill) so my long workouts have been brutal lately. I am actually really excited about Sunday's 14-miler because it is forecast to be a low in the low 50s and a high only in the low 70s. That is about as unseasonably cool as it gets in my area. I plan to blow the panties off that workout! And I might just get myself a delicious cupcake at the cupcake shop to celebrate afterward!

• Love 2

I also had to clean my plate.  I loved Brussels Sprouts, but I refused to eat liver.  It was just a battle of wills every night.  I would just sit there until my parents gave up and told me to go to bed.  Luckily, they dropped that rule after my sister was born.  

Can't believe so many of you also had to clean your plates.  I'm so sorry!  I would never do that to a child bc we all have different appetites and tastes.

• Love 1

@ClareWalks-I admire your determination and commitment to continual self-improvement!!! You definitely inspire me to try harder on my own journey.

Buy yourself that cupcake after those 14 miles on Sunday, girl--a giant one too, and savor every bite!!! You will have earned it!!!

• Love 1

Blessed by genetics. Parents were slim and none of my 7 siblings are overweight. We were meat and potatoes for dinner, but not much junk food, plus we sat down to a family dinner and ate out sparingly.  So far, none of our family's next generation is overweight. Exercise plays a part too. Will follow your journeys, good luck and health to all.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

We were meat and potatoes for dinner, but not much junk food, plus we sat down to a family dinner and ate out sparingly. 

Exercise plays a part too.

@jacksgirl-Same here for me too. We also RARELY had soda in the house & if we did, it was a 6-pack and each family member got one can. (If we were thirsty, my Dad's patent answer was "there's milk in the fridge or water from the tap".) I also grew up on a farm and way back in the "stone-age", getting take-out pizza meant a 40-mile round trip to town and was a huge treat that we had maybe every 2 months.

• Love 5

TotoGirl,  I think we must be related because my dad would say exactly the same thing about something to drink. I am a teacher and work with some women who struggle with their weight. The one thing that I really notice is that they will deny themselves any kind of treat whatsoever so when they get frustrated with lack of progress or stressed at home or work, they binge like crazy. I'm with Clarewalks, a treat is just fine at times.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, TotoGirl said:

@ClareWalks-I admire your determination and commitment to continual self-improvement!!! You definitely inspire me to try harder on my own journey.

Buy yourself that cupcake after those 14 miles on Sunday, girl--a giant one too, and savor every bite!!! You will have earned it!!!

Thanks so much TotoGirl! That's such a nice thing to say :) And hell yeah, I will actually buy the cupcake today and save it for tomorrow ;) We have an amazing cupcake shop in town. I'm embarrassed to say during one of my fatter phases I would buy four cupcakes and eat them all in one day. Now I just have one and I eat it slooooowly ;)

• Love 3

Update! I did my 14 miles in the nice, relatively cool weather, and felt AMAZEBALLS. I walked it under 13-minute miles for a new season best! I really needed that workout, the heat had been making me slower and feeling discouraged. Now 'tis cupcake time!! I got a mint chocolate fudge brownie cupcake :)

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Clarewalks, congratulations ! ! That is fabulous .  If it ever stops raining,  and gets a little  cooler  I  will start walking again . Nothing  like 14 miles ,  my goal will be  one mile. Then add to that every  week.

Get it girl! It all starts with a single step :) Agree about the weather being a downer, holy cow. It was in the low 50s this morning (for once!) and felt amaaaazing.

• Love 2

Today is Sunday which means meal prep day for me. I'll be in the kitchen for a couple of hours making a mess of grilled chicken ( thighs, cause I don't like white meat), veggies and egg cups in a muffin tin. Perhaps some grilled shrimp.  Every day is almost identical.  Boring? A bit, but it's the safest way for me to avoid having no lunch and wandering into McDonald's where I know I will not get any kind of salad.

My co-workers laugh at it in the beginning.  Now I see some of them quietly doing the same.  I maintain my weight, save money and I don't have to trouble myself with later in the week.  Im still having trouble convincing my husband to get on board. He's not happy unless he's spending $20 a day on lunch. Jerkoff.

• Love 5

Congratulations,  Clarewalks!

A 13 min. mile is awesome.  When I walked steadily,  I cd do 17 minutes at best.  Now I do 24 minutes.  

Beautiful persistence on your part!

• Love 3

@Brooklynista I eat basically the same food every day too (I mix it up a little for dinner, though even that's usually some variation of chicken and quinoa) and I don't ever mind. I'm not a foodie at all and am not much of a cook, so it works. Thankfully, the affianced doesn't seem to mind, or at least he's never brought it up...

Yesterday was supposed to be leg day but instead we're in central Oregon for the weekend for Brewfest. I drank a million beers yesterday which is, like, the opposite of leg day, and boy I'm paying the price this morning.

• Love 5

Its interesting to see that there are other folks who do what I did which is to plan meals ahead and make them as easy as possible.

My goal was to make food/eating just another part of the day, not focus on it or make it a big deal.   

I gave up all fast food because its just plain not good for anyone.  You eventually lose any desire to eat it as you get healthier anyway.     Use substitutions for example fried chicken you can remove the skin, season it up (avoid salt) and broil it.     Avoid salad dressings (mucho fat and sugar content) by using some hummus as dressing.     Identify foods/snacks that are trigger /binge foods and think about giving them up. Find a healthier alternative.    Learn how to say no and if you get antsy or tempted wait 15 minutes and chances are you won't want it anymore.   You will feel empowered instead by your new willpower.

I ate my dinner as early as possible, then no more food at all. I did my workouts at night, then showered and got into skin care.   When you invest in yourself, you will not want to sabotage yourself by eating after your workout and shower.    On non workout nights, work on a project like knitting or reading a book instead of wanting to get up and go into the kitchen.

Think of non food rewards for sticking to your plans and goals.   I weighed myself once a week on Fridays.   The scale can be frightening or upsetting, but the bottom line is if you are doing what you are supposed to be doing, the number will go down.   

• Love 7

Glad to see this thread. I love talking about this stuff.

I'm 52, 5'2" and have PCOS. 1333 days ago I weighed 248. I know that number because I use My Fitness Pal to log my food, exercise, water, get community support and tons of education. I'm down 108 lbs with a few to go to reach my "normal BMI" range. I can't speak highly enough of this site. I did WW years ago, lost a lot but never kept it off. I attribute that to a lack of education, of just learning why and what to do. I also check in with the dietician at the wellness center I go to, mostly when I need some tough love or to get my metabolic rate checked.

I eat real food, I keep my carbs on the lowER side, not exactly low. I limit things that I may have issues with, and these change over time. Currently that's ice cream, so I don't buy it at the moment. Although today I was in a frozen yogurt store and only measured out a 5 oz cup, so yay me! I log all my food in MFP for the day, so it gives me a guideline to follow (you can change things anytime, it's not permanently entered). I drink 12 8 oz glasses of water a day. I stopped drinking soda a few years ago and no longer miss it. I've become a fan of naturally flavored seltzers (artificial sweeteners are known to aggravate PCOS symptoms, so I've stopped eating/drinking anything with them).

I think it's the education that's key. I understand *why* things work the way they do and now I get it. These are permanent changes, it's not like I'm going to hit my goal and then go back to the habits that got me to 248 lbs.

• Love 13

@kar328 that's amazing! Great job on the weight loss! It sounds like you made some great sustainable changes. That's really what it's about, doing stuff that works for you and that you can stick with. Whenever my clients ask "what kind of workouts are best?" I tell them whatever you enjoy doing. Same with diet. It's one thing to say "eat salads all day long" but another to actually find salads you *enjoy* eating so weight loss and health is a yummy lifestyle and not a chore. She Who Shall Not Be Named could use some of your chutzpah as far as losing weight with PCOS :)

• Love 1

So I started my new life yesterday.  Took 3 walks at various times during the day, which added up to over 10,000 steps.  Had 3 well balanced meals, with a few pretzels for snack - not the healthiest choice, but it's something that I can keep at my desk at work that won't go bad in a hurry.  I'm going to try to get those 10,000 steps in each day and gradually work on bringing my diet into a better alignment (cut down on the carbs and sugars).  I already drink 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day, but after reading KAR328's amazing results, maybe I'd better up that amount!  Great job!

• Love 5
17 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

@kar328 that's amazing! Great job on the weight loss! It sounds like you made some great sustainable changes. That's really what it's about, doing stuff that works for you and that you can stick with. Whenever my clients ask "what kind of workouts are best?" I tell them whatever you enjoy doing. Same with diet. It's one thing to say "eat salads all day long" but another to actually find salads you *enjoy* eating so weight loss and health is a yummy lifestyle and not a chore. She Who Shall Not Be Named could use some of your chutzpah as far as losing weight with PCOS :)

Aw, thanks :-)  As for workouts, I agree wholeheartedly. I love to walk outside, there are some small lakes nearby. It's good for my brain as well. I go to a local gym and my favorite is TRX class. I did the C25K running program and have done some 5Ks. I finally did one under 30 mins so that's off my fitness bucket list. I have two more races this year, one's 5 miles which I haven't done yet. I like running, but don't love it. It felt like something I should be able to do, so I set out to do it. Marathons are not in my future, but I'll keep doing the 5Ks. I weight train, losing so much weight caused some muscle mass loss as well, and that reduced my resting metabolic rate. I'll be retesting it in the next few weeks to see how much that has changed. I also recently started doing HIIT and Boot Camp classes and actually not dying, so that's a win. I like the variety of exercises, it's helping me get more comfortable in this body.

As for the PCOS, I definitely agree it's hard to lose weight and easy to gain. I give her that. But it can be done if you want it to happen. I'm a NYer living in NC. I love my bagels and pizza, but those are a lot of carbs. I don't eat them regularly anymore, but will enjoy the real stuff - just went to NY and those were my meals, my family just went and brought me home a few bagels. There are a couple of bagel and pizza places here run by NYers and they're pretty close to the real thing and luckily not too close to my house. I'm learning that quality is more important. Work people ordered a chain pizza the other night. I declined.

1 hour ago, Ocean Chick said:

So I started my new life yesterday.  Took 3 walks at various times during the day, which added up to over 10,000 steps.  Had 3 well balanced meals, with a few pretzels for snack - not the healthiest choice, but it's something that I can keep at my desk at work that won't go bad in a hurry.  I'm going to try to get those 10,000 steps in each day and gradually work on bringing my diet into a better alignment (cut down on the carbs and sugars).  I already drink 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day, but after reading KAR328's amazing results, maybe I'd better up that amount!  Great job!

@Ocean Chick Nice start - good for you! As for the water, I used to do the 8 glasses, but my dietician follows that rule of drinking half your body weight in ounces of water which worked out to 12 8 oz when we did the math. I was going down a little when I lost more weight, but she told me to stay at 12 since I workout a lot and need the extra fluid. I include naturally flavored seltzers in this amount, I drink 12-16 oz with dinner. I like water, but sometimes you want some bubbles. Keep going with what you're doing, it's really worth it.

• Love 1

I've just started yoga, which may or may not help so much with weight loss but is helping me to feel much better.  It is also helping with my plantar fascitis, which makes me willing to walk more.  I'm at the beginning of my weight loss journey (well, the 500th beginning) and am hoping to really turn it around this time.  

Is anyone else an "all or nothing" sort of person? It seems that either I am eating right and exercising or I'm a couch potato and eating terribly.  There is no in-between.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Yokosmom said:

I've just started yoga, which may or may not help so much with weight loss but is helping me to feel much better.  It is also helping with my plantar fascitis, which makes me willing to walk more.  I'm at the beginning of my weight loss journey (well, the 500th beginning) and am hoping to really turn it around this time.  

Is anyone else an "all or nothing" sort of person? It seems that either I am eating right and exercising or I'm a couch potato and eating terribly.  There is no in-between.

I was and sometimes can still be, but over these past 1134 days now, I've learned to find the middle ground. When I first got my Fitbit, I was nutso about hitting 10K each day, but sometimes it's just not possible. It would make me crazy until I finally slapped some sense into myself and realized it's okay. Same with food and other parts of this. I still get a little obsessed once in a while, but I'm better at realizing it sooner and talking some sense into myself.