Type keyword(s) to search

Road Rules - General Discussion

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'll have to check the MTV Classic schedule to see what will air on the 18th.

I'm flipping between MTV Classic and Esquire . . . did we see a commercial for All-Star Challenge?

Seeing the gang invade the Miami house. Funny to see Dan and Cynthia again. Were the pranks funnier when RR wasn't well known? I still remember the time RR9 swiped the Aibo dog, and Melissa's reaction was, "Is this some Road Rules bullshit? Because I don't want to play!!"

It wasn't a commercial for an upcoming airing of The Challenge. . It appears an old preview for The Challenge was not edited out for this syndicated airing. It was part of the closing tag of the episode. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm flipping between MTV Classic and Esquire . . . did we see a commercial for All-Star Challenge?

I saw it too and got excited for a minute. That Challenge was awesome.  I do hope they run them.

Watching RR2, reliving my tv crush on Timmy and the sound on this one is ridiculous. Cant even hear their dialogue, just some crappy generic music overwhelming everything. Better just be a fluke. I'm an adult now and won't stand for this tomfoolery that wouldn't have bothered me 20 years ago dagnabbit.

59 minutes ago, Lady Iris said:

I saw it too and got excited for a minute. That Challenge was awesome.  I do hope they run them.

Watching RR2, reliving my tv crush on Timmy and the sound on this one is ridiculous. Cant even hear their dialogue, just some crappy generic music overwhelming everything. Better just be a fluke. I'm an adult now and won't stand for this tomfoolery that wouldn't have bothered me 20 years ago dagnabbit.

I only noticed the sound problems on the new Orleans episode. Sound seems fine after that.

Timmy, Xander from Buffy the vampire slayer and Chandler from Friends are like long lost brothers or something. I mean that in a good way.

• Love 1

I watched a few episodes of this and from what I saw of it I enjoyed it.  I remember Emily and Timmy from the Challenges.  While watching the show I decided to look up the last time Timmy was on a challenge and it has been almost ten years.  I was a little shocked by that and I am not really sure why that is the case.  It seems like yesterday and it has already been nine years.  It was also a bit strange to read that Darrell has not been on a Challenge since 2010.  They (Timmy and Darrell) both seemed like mainstays back then and the fact that neither have been around in a long time is so strange to me (Also I had forgotten that Cara Maria was Darrell's partner on Fresh Meat II.  For some reason I thought Cara was on the first Fresh Meat season.).

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

I remember, perhaps inaccurately, but wasn't Christian involved in some sort of car accident? Anybody recall?

Yes, a year or so after their season aired, both Christian & Emily were in a serious car accident in the French Riviera.  I don't remember the extent of their injuries but both appeared on challenges after.  

14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Awwwwww . . . Emily didn't marry James?!? Heh.

Nope.  Of course, I looked him up too.  Working overseas with USAID.

• Love 1

Bumping up for talk about individual cast members and what they're doing these days. Right now, I'm reposting recaps from Battle Of The Sexes, and I could use epilogues for folks that went into he cornfield . . . like Gladys and Eric, for instance.

I found the first episode of RR3 on youtube last night. Sadly, only the first is uploaded, but I will take it! So weird to see a show before the digital age took over. Also kind of cool- their first instructions are on a cassette tape, and the woman is speaking both French and Spanish, I believe. Patrice, Belou, and Antione- German, Dutch, and Belgian respectively- have to listen to it over and over in order to pick out phrases that can help them identify general directions. Chris and Michelle just kind of sit there.

I really miss those old RR days where they dumped the kids off somewhere with no money and basically told them to figure it out for themselves how they were going to find food and shelter. Does anyone remember RR4 where the kids are pooling their change trying to buy a bucket of KFC?

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 9:57 PM, imjagain said:

How wonderful was it  to see Chris Farley. 

I just finished watching RR2 last night. I got so verklempt seeing Chris Farley. He was filming "Beverly Hills Ninja" at the time.

Timmy and Christian's bromance was truly a thing of beauty. Its so silly but I hope they're still buds even now. I'd like to think they are.

Edited by Lady Iris
  • Love 2

I'm watching that episode of the Australia season where they play Aussie football with people from past casts. There is a random nighttime conversation that is so very Road Rules: completely incomprehensible, due to the editing and the mumbling.

We are just dropped in in the middle of it, with three people who have not even been on this season. Chris is very earnestly telling some other people, "Don't hide anything from anybody." Belou says something I cannot understand at all, but sounds like "After you insult my trumpet chief? About myself?" That makes everyone start talking at the same time. Chris says, "I...I cried! For the first time in six years! And I feel so good." Oscar then says he read a book that had a passage saying that in order to have great triumphs, you have to go through great failures. Chris says no girl has ever broken his heart. Oscar says getting his heart broken by girls is the story of his life. Chris says he wants to experience getting his heart broken. Belou looks back and forth between the two of them, anxiously.  And...scene.   

It's dream-like.  Meaning, you have to try to figure out what the hell it means, and you're probably wrong.  

I did like this this period of the show. Dan Setzler was just good at everything, wasn't he? He ends up being the MVP of the football game.  

When I was younger, Kefla said that Roni was the first person he had met on the trip who understood things that he wanted to talk about, I didn't get it, but now I do.  

Chadwick was a person a lot of B/M watchers hated when these shows were new, but I liked him. I could see why he would be annoying, but it was a kind of annoying I deal with better than people who curse, scream, throw things, try to stab you, etc. His love/hate relationship with Piggy was kind of fun to watch, because it was a classic "cold/hot" match. She would be yelling at him, getting shriller and shriller, and he would be very even-keeled, which of course would make her madder. I've been the "cold" person in a lot of those confrontations.  

Edited by Asp Burger
On 11/3/2016 at 4:33 AM, Asp Burger said:

Chadwick was a person a lot of B/M watchers hated when these shows were new, but I liked him. I could see why he would be annoying, but it was a kind of annoying I deal with better than people who curse, scream, throw things, try to stab you, etc. His love/hate relationship with Piggy was kind of fun to watch, because it was a classic "cold/hot" match. She would be yelling at him, getting shriller and shriller, and he would be very even-keeled, which of course would make her madder. I've been the "cold" person in a lot of those confrontations.  

I remember Piggy finally got frustrated and yelled, go do a backflip, which must be a UK version of telling someone to eat shit. Chadwick responds by literally doing a backflip.

ETA: According to Wikipedia, Go do a backflip is not a UK insult, but rather she was telling him since he likes to show off so much, he should do a backflip. Which, she didn't mean for him to actually do, but then he did.

Remember when Belou was screaming at him and cursing him out, and he just stares her down and says mildly, wow, that's impressive. Super annoying when you're already pissed, but I agree, as someone who is sensitive to loud noises, I'll take the maddening calm over the screeching.

Edited by Tatum
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, Tatum said:

ETA: According to Wikipedia, Go do a backflip is not a UK insult, but rather she was telling him since he likes to show off so much, he should do a backflip. Which, she didn't mean for him to actually do, but then he did.

Oh, the backflip fight! That was early in their season, I think. Then he wanted to make up with her, and he kept saying, "Can we talk?" and she was talking to Christina or Susie and kept saying, no, I don't want to see you right now, please go away, but he just would not quit. That part I did not like, because if apologizing turns into a battle to wear someone down so you can apologize, you're doing it wrong. However, he eventually got her to laugh by following her around with his guitar and singing a song about himself and her and wanting to be friends. For me, anyway, the goofy charm of it outweighed the bad parts.   

Piggy was pretty mean to Chadwick in another point of their season, I think, when she made fun of him in front of the whole group for using a word incorrectly. He told her off very calmly. You rarely see a calm telling-off on one of these shows. People either stuff something down inside and save it for the confessionals, or they blow up.  

I do think that at that point, Chadwick had some nice qualities. When he hooked up with Holly later, maybe they fed off each other's negatives. I don't remember him in his season being all "the Lord this" and "the Lord that," although he might have been religious all along. I am not religious, and I don't view people negatively who are, or even people who are forward in talking about it/displaying it, but those two were pretty sanctimonious about it.  

It seemed for the most part that that cast got along well. Arguably, there was more serious tension among the Northern Trail group. Dan hated Noah. Roni blew up at Anne, Tara, and Dan and called them fakes. Jon never really connected with anyone.  

Edited by Asp Burger
15 minutes ago, Asp Burger said:

It seemed for the most part that that cast got along well. Arguably, there was more serious tension among the Northern Trail group. Dan hated Noah. Roni blew up at Anne, Tara, and Dan and called them fakes. Jon never really connected with anyone.  

I never watched Northern Trail. I loved Islands so much and I thought Tara and Dan were going to be such a discount Jake and Kalle. I didn't actually see them until Battle of the Seasons and I thought they were both really cool. I don't know if Tara quite exceeded Kalle's level of coolness, but Dan definitely beat Jake, hands down.

I did like the switch from 5 to 6 cast members. Someone was always the outsider on the 5 member seasons.

From Australia, I remember little other than Susie telling Piggy she looks like Scary Spice, and Piggy giving her this awesome, who is this bitch? look.

I don't know what would be my favorite season, but Northern Trail was a lot of fun. However, it is slightly uncomfortable in hindsight how frozen out Jon and Roni seem. Maybe there was blame on both sides, but it is the way it plays. Dan, Anne, and Tara are such a cool-kids clique, and early on, Anne and Noah are a pseudo-couple as well. So a lot of the season is about the dynamics of those four.

Some people felt that this cast was absurdly babied with cakewalk missions (take care of some piglets, make a suicide-prevention video, come up with a dance routine), while some of the other casts were, you know, wrestling alligators.  But I guess every season has its share of lame missions.  I loved the one where they formed three pairs (Noah/Dan, Tara/Anne, and Roni/Jon) and all had to be police officers responding to a staged domestic violence call.  

Dan was one of my favorite Bunim-Murray males ever, including all the series.  

Some of the seasons (including Northern Trail) are on YouTube complete. I have been watching some Down Under in the last day, since it came up here. I had forgotten how ubiquitous Chadwick is as narrator. They use his voice-over a lot to bridge scenes. He does have a great "broadcasting voice."

In Down UnderI nominate Shayne as the forgettable person. There's always one out of six who barely seems there.  He was a nice guy, but low-key, avoidant of conflict, and just not much of a presence. Does anyone want to say, "Shayne was one of my all-time favorites"? 

Jon from Northern Trail has gone on to blogging fame, writing about The Walking Dead.  His fan club totally dominates the comments on the YouTubes for that season. You would think he was the star of the season, from the ratio of comments.  

Jon's best moment in the season was when he was talking to Anne about how people say something they think is funny, and it is not at all, and then they look at you expectantly for a laugh. He did a routine with it, and gave an example that I won't spoil, because his delivery and expressions made it.  

Edited by Asp Burger

Is MTV Classic still playing old seasons? I went through their schedule and it's all just huge blocks of generic 90s Nostalgia and Total Request Playlists. The image for 90s Nostalgia is the Real World San Francisco cast, so I wasn't sure if they were bundling BMP marathons in there. I do remember when MTV used to do Real World/Road Rules theater as their daytime block over the summer. And sometimes CBS would play old episodes in the middle of the night. My favorite was when MTV marathoned the first 7 or 8 seasons of The Real World and claimed they'd never play them ever again (it must have been a dispute with BMP or Viacom or music licensing at the time) with all of these emergency alerts as if the footage had all been destroyed.

Anyway, I was always a Road Rules girl. I started watching with The Northern Trail because it was paired with Daria, and that was, like, appointment television for 10 year old me. I just loved all the odd jobs and adventures over The Real World (even though I love early-Real World too...) And also the fact that they were the scrappy underdogs.

I'm bummed that I missed the season 1 marathon, as I don't think I've ever watched that one in its entirety, and don't think I ever caught season 3 either. Season 2, 4, 5, and 6 were favorites for me, and I started losing interest around season 8 when The RW/RR Challenge became a better version of the show.

I feel like I'm going to be digging deep into YouTube over the next few weeks, lol.

On 1/3/2017 at 0:49 PM, absnow54 said:

Is MTV Classic still playing old seasons? I went through their schedule and it's all just huge blocks of generic 90s Nostalgia and Total Request Playlists. The image for 90s Nostalgia is the Real World San Francisco cast, so I wasn't sure if they were bundling BMP marathons in there. I do remember when MTV used to do Real World/Road Rules theater as their daytime block over the summer.

Yes, someone finally remembers Real World Theater! This has been bugging me forever. I feel like the girl who hosted it went on to do some other acting job and is possibly semi famous but I can't remember who it was.

The people on that show were hilarious. RW San Fran Corey and RR Europe Belou were their favorite targets.

Xfinity only lets me go two weeks ahead, but the last RW marathon they had was just before Christmas (Vegas), and I haven't seen a RR airing on it since maybe October? Once in awhile they throw in Laguna Beach or the Hills, but I don't think any late 90s/early 2000s reality program is schedule to air anytime soon. Bummer, does anyone really long for the days when Carson Daly was on MTV? I sure don't.

Yes, someone finally remembers Real World Theater! This has been bugging me forever. I feel like the girl who hosted it went on to do some other acting job and is possibly semi famous but I can't remember who it was.

It was probably Hilarie Burton. I have such a hazy memory of it, but I remember it was something we'd always watch when we were off from school.

I'm too impatient to wait for MTV classics to get around to playing more seasons (I never thought I'd complain about an MTV channel playing TOO much music!) so I've been poking around YouTube. I'm watching the Islands season now, and damn those kids had a tough start of things. Christian intentionally threw the last match of the paint ball game and the All Stars still managed to take it, and then they lost the stand up comedy mission which seemed to be set up just for them to win money. They probably had the tightest finances next to that time Kit tried to gamble all of their money in Vegas. I feel like production intervened, because the second half of the season they got paid $1500 to print out a calendar at Kinkos (and who was that guy who had them make it? That mission was so weird. They met him at a hotel, he said he wanted a nice calendar, seemingly provides them with no professional services or training -- except for telling them he wanted full body shots?-- and then at the end he smiled creepily and was like "I'd hang this on my wall." Move over Terry Richardson.)

Islands probably had the most chill cast too, they hated Oscar for a few episodes and then everyone seemed to get along. I wish they had done more challenges, Oscar can be so polarizing that I'm sure he would have brought a lot of entertainment. Kalle was probably the most interesting person to ever appear on Road Rules, she had such a rich backstory and I really rooted for her throughout the whole season. That episode where she wing walks has really stuck with me. I remember watching it around the time it first aired and thinking she was the coolest person alive. I like Erica and Jake too, but my appreciation for Vince has grown this time around. He carried a sick dog across an island to an animal shelter. !!!

I still have the competition with RW Boston and Kelly Rippa bossing Jake around to get to. I think I might watch season 2 next. I watched a couple of episodes of season 12 because of Dave and now I can't get the theme song out of my head. I had totally forgotten they'd produced an actual song for it.

• Love 2
On 1/13/2017 at 7:23 AM, absnow54 said:

I'm too impatient to wait for MTV classics to get around to playing more seasons (I never thought I'd complain about an MTV channel playing TOO much music!) so I've been poking around YouTube. I'm watching the Islands season now, and damn those kids had a tough start of things. Christian intentionally threw the last match of the paint ball game and the All Stars still managed to take it, and then they lost the stand up comedy mission which seemed to be set up just for them to win money.

I vaguely remember the stand up comedy show! Didn't Kalle make a joke about giving a chicken a blowjob then spit out a bunch of feathers? Kind of risque for MTV in the late 90s but cracked me up.

So, I'm going to go ahead and resurrect this thread, and ask those who have recorded episodes on VHS to come forward, haha. I'm dying to see Road Rules 9 again. It was the first season that go me hooked, and it seems to be the only season that's not available ANYWHERE. 

I dunno about that. If Stee's recaps from MightyBigTV are still around, that might be safer. Seriously, you would not believe James and Theo had flings with various BMP girls watching Maximum Velocity Tour. Also, Stee interviewed Msaada after the season aired. I kept hoping she'd do a Challenge, but I knew we was way too normal for BMP.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

I dunno about that. If Stee's recaps from MightyBigTV are still around, that might be safer. Seriously, you would not believe James and Theo had flings with various BMP girls watching Maximum Velocity Tour. Also, Stee interviewed Msaada after the season aired. I kept hoping she'd do a Challenge, but I knew we was way too normal for BMP.

Reading those recaps is what got me to post here! I have about 5-6 episodes taped from the original airing, along with the 'Ultimate Missions' special. I'm hoping that someone out there has it taped too. I've seen so much mention of this season on this forum. It's getting my hopes up!

Speaking of M'Saada, she's a big time casting director now, having cast movies like Selma, and shows like Grey's Anatomy. James just got home after living in Jordan for awhile, and Theo obviously is a stand up comic in Los Angeles.

On 5/26/2017 at 2:26 PM, realityjg said:

Reading those recaps is what got me to post here! I have about 5-6 episodes taped from the original airing, along with the 'Ultimate Missions' special. I'm hoping that someone out there has it taped too. I've seen so much mention of this season on this forum. It's getting my hopes up!

Speaking of M'Saada, she's a big time casting director now, having cast movies like Selma, and shows like Grey's Anatomy. James just got home after living in Jordan for awhile, and Theo obviously is a stand up comic in Los Angeles.

Not to mention that "The Roadmaster" went on to become Dwight Schrute.

On 9/5/2016 at 6:52 PM, GreatKazu said:

From what I read, Effie married the producer of Road Rules - Mark Perez. They live in Orange County and have two kids.

Timmy's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/tim.beggy

Interesting. From what I've found, Effie moved to New York City and works as a chef. She was a chef at one of my favorite restaurants in San Francisco about 5 years ago before she moved. She has a daughter, but from what I remember she had divorced producer Mark Perez.

Mark Perez, along with two other producers, and Devin and Timmy flew out to Norway two years ago to see Christian. There's a picture on Christian's facebook.

• Love 1
On 12/30/2016 at 8:39 PM, Lantern7 said:

I was looking through MSN to see if 2016 was done taking people from us, and I found out Bruce Toms passed away this past Sunday. He was a producer on Road Rules, presumably during its early days. Also, the show got an Emmy nomination in 2001, which would mean Maximum Velocity Tour. My first thought: Really?!?

If anyone keeps up with Susie's "Brain Candy" podcast, she did an interview earlier this year with Tara from Road Rules 5. Tara mentions that she recently reconnected with Anne, shortly before learning that Bruce Toms had passed away, which she thought was an interesting coincidence. The interview ended with them wanting to schedule a "Road Rules Reunion" dinner and gather all alum who live in the LA area.

And yes! Maximum Velocity Tour was nominated for an Emmy in 2001. More specifically, the episode where they travel to South Africa.

And if anyone's curious, so many Road Rules alum now live in the Los Angeles/Greater Southern California area today; Mark, Kit, Allison, Devin, Timmy, Kalle, Erika, Vince, Tara, Anne, Susie, Christina, Chadwick, Abe, Gladys, Pawel, Holly P., Theo, Laterrian, M'Saada, Blair, Sarah G, Eric, Dave, Jeremy, Patrick, Ibis, Angela, David, and Dan, just off the top of my head.

Paramount + plans to bring a RR reboot some time in 2022.

It won’t be a reunion like the RW Reunion shows or the abbreviated All-Stars Challenge season with some OG cast that PP has done.

Interesting time to launch a show about traveling through the country.  Still in a pandemic and depending on when they shoot, some places may still be dealing with rising cases.

Then you have the whole #vanlife thing with twenty somethings going around living in makeshift RVs, even before the Gabby Petito case, which is still ongoing.

In the original RR these were people barely out of college so I don’t recall what kind of jobs they were doing on the show.  Certainly could be an interesting sociological experiment, about how people roaming the country might do odd jobs.

Now, people are quitting jobs, some burned out because of the pandemic, while some are flush with cash and taking time out from the grind.

But by the time RW ended, B-M had turned it into a drunken party hookup show, plying the cast, with emotionally unstable people, with booze and regular outings to clubs to capture drunken bad behavior.

So instead of trying to earn money to fund their trip from place to place, learn about different parts of the country, maybe they just drop them off at clubs with opportunities for getting loaded, hooking up, etc.

Paramount + said Road Rules reboot this year right?

Any sign of filming?  Because they're running out of time if they're not shooting to premier it this year.

(edited)

Recently, Stop Being Polite listed some BMP media that is currently lost. Part of that includes episodes of RR: Maximum Velocity Tour, which is hard to find online. I wound up going online, and this was the best I could do: via Archive, this is the RR page from Mighty Big TV back in 2001, and it includes recaps from episode 6-19. That covers everything from the Laterrian/Kathryn hookup to the dogshit wedding finale where Holly wound up meeting future husband Chadwick. Also, there's the recapper's interview with Msaada, as she spills on what went on behind the scenes.

I dunno . . . I'm into Doctor Who, so I know how a fandom can get frustrated when episodes are lost forever or really hard to find, so I figured the link might come in handy, even if someone new can't grasp the obnoxiousness of Roadmaster. I'd like to think at least two cast members still wake up in a cold sweat, the last words heard in their nightmares being "Nighty night!"

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 1