Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: New York Strong

The strigoi are evolving, becoming faster. Smarter. Eph struggles to improve his failing bioweapon while trying to work through the emotional fallout of the abduction of his son, Zack. As Setrakian and Quinlan attempt to crack the Lumen’s deepest-held secrets, Fet helps a Navy SEAL team in a deadly mission: search for the Master through the underground tunnels of New York.

I can't remember where anything left off, and since this will run well into the fall season when far more important shows air, this one is probably getting tossed aside, as I pretty much hated last season anyway. I'll record the premiere and give it a few minutes before calling it a wrap. (exactly what I did with fear the walking dead when that returned last week)

The show was perplexing as ever, but I still enjoyed it. I don't get how Quinlan, Fet, and Abraham are back in NYC. They were searching for the expert to translate the text at the end of last season. Did I miss their explanation for returning to NYC without the expert?

Since when did Fet become so stupid thinking that they could get the Master without Quinlan's help? He should have known that Eichhorst showing up was a trap. Why weren't the Seal team using silencers? Also, why weren't the Seals and police wearing that plastic head gear to protect themselves from worms?

I feel for Eph, but it would be nice if he mourned the lovely Nora a bit. I like that he continues to spiral with addiction. It is realistic given the stress he is under and the horror of his life. However, if he betrays Abraham and steals the Lumen, I am done with him.

I didn't realize that Quinlan had a stinger and drank blood. Ick.

Good to see Justine in charge although I worry about Palmer's role.

I cannot believe that Zach is happy with his monster mother. And Gus feeding his strigoi mother blood was pathetic.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I cannot believe that Zach is happy with his monster mother.

Seriously, he's just chilling reading comic books and playing house with vampire mommy like he didn't get Nora killed. I fucking haaate him!

I'm extra pissed Nora is dead because the show is a sausage fest right now. The named women characters either have three minutes of airtime, are vampires, or no-shows (Dutch).

I already give less than a rat's ass about Eph, but if he steals the book to save that rotten little shit, I will fucking lose it!

• Love 5
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:35 PM, TheRabbi said:

I can't remember where anything left off, and since this will run well into the fall season when far more important shows air, this one is probably getting tossed aside, as I pretty much hated last season anyway. I'll record the premiere and give it a few minutes before calling it a wrap. (exactly what I did with fear the walking dead when that returned last week)

I don't remember anything either. Wait, Zack got abducted?  Wheeee!

• Love 3

I love this show.  It's creepy, gross, and weird.  I didn't see the first season, but the plot moved really fast last season.  I am a big fan of the Walking Dean and I am going to have to say it -- I like the Strain better.

• Love 1

Last night's episode was great. I wouldn't be opposed to a Fet-Justine bromance but a big part of me still holds onto the hope that Fetch will be endgame. I miss the moments from the end of the first season and the beginning of the second season when Dutch and Fet kicked ass together. Speaking of, where was Dutch last night???

• Love 1

I thought this episode had the same problems that the returning episode of FTWD had. It followed up a long hiatus with. . . nothing. 

Setrakian is reading, Eph is drinking, Quinlan is meeting with The Ancients again. . . Barely any Eichorst. Fet's doing stuff, but his adoration of the SEALS felt out of character for him.

And I'm not sure if anyone noticed that Dutch is missing and Nora is dead.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

Fet's doing stuff, but his adoration of the SEALS felt out of character for him.

I think he enjoyed seeing the vampires (munchers?? wtf, sounds like a mid-afternoon snack) getting killed.

Damn Setrakian, read faster pal.  Fet and Justine were good together but yeah where is Dutch? Why is Gus by himself feeding his mother (ew, just kill her or have the Silver Angel do it - wait, he's missing too).  Was Gus on the boat at the end of last season..I remember Fet, Setrakian and Quinlan, I thought there was one other person there.   Quinlan sniping with Fed and Setrakian was kind of fun but I would rather see badass Quinlan.

Master/Bolivar is still not scary.  Eph is still awful.  At least Zach is still missing!!! Yay!!!  ETA:  spoke too soon, we see Zach at the end with Mom.  Nuts.

I am a big fan of the Walking Dean and I am going to have to say it -- I like the Strain better.

Well, the Strain does have Fet :)

Edited by raven
  • Love 2

The Strain is back and they're.... taking their time, I guess.  I mean, it's good that they seem to be trying to develop the stories, but despite a few vampire killings (or "munchers", ugh), it kind of felt like the characters were just killing time, until they find something more fun to do.  Eph is drinking again and waiting around to either save Zach or kill him if he's turned (seems like it is all about Zach.  None of it is over poor Nora's fate.) Abe is still trying to decipher the Lumen, while debating with Quinlan.  Vasiliy is working for Justine, while getting into pissing contests with Quinlan.  And then Quinlan himself is off shitting on The Ancient Ones for reasons.

But, hey, that's all better then the Gus stuff.  I swear, he really might be one of the most useless characters on any television show right now.  With all that is going on, why should I care about him not wanting to kill his mom, so he's just leaving her as a vampire and feeding her his own blood? Either suck it up, or have someone else do it, because this just cruel, Gus.

So knew the strike team was going to get their asses killed before the end of the episode.  I know Boliver/The Master is the big baddie, but Eichorst continues to be the scene-stealer.  Keep being an evil bastard, Eichorst!

Are they really going to make the big thing this season be Eph deciding between saving Zach or protecting the Lumen?  Sure, in real life it would be more even out, but Zach sucks (I still hold him just as responsible for Nora's death as I do with Kelly), so the idea that Eph would potentially doom the human race for that little shit, is infuriating.

• Love 1
  • Ok Fet would get killed by Quilan like he even has a chance. He needs to e brace quilans help. Stop being a hater. 
  • Agree with previous posts that the seals should wear some face shields or something to protect from worms. 
  • They are not using UV light enough. Sure bullets can kill the , but maybe they should have strong UV flashlights mounted to the m4 rails. 
  • Should have known Eichorest was setting up a trap. 
  • Why don't they just photocopy the lumen. Or use a smart phone to take a pic of each page or scan and convert to Adobe file for ease of use. 
  • Eph is annoying, humans need you alive foo, if you still want to go to your old house and chill then at least bring a guard or two. I'm sure the city wouldn't mind send protection with the bio weapon mastermind. 
  • By now the govt should have other scientists working on other bio weapons too. 
  • Love 2

Fet using the name "munchers" was odd. I would expect him to refer to them as strigoi. The show has trained me to use that term so why is Fet not using it as well? It is like Rick and his group not using the term, Walker any more. So odd.

7 hours ago, LocimusPrime said:
  • They are not using UV light enough. Sure bullets can kill the , but maybe they should have strong UV flashlights mounted to the m4 rails. 
  • Why don't they just photocopy the lumen. Or use a smart phone to take a pic of each page or scan and convert to Adobe file for ease of use. \
  • By now the govt should have other scientists working on other bio weapons too. 

These three strike me the most. Why would the Seals into the dark sewers without UV light? At the end of last season, they were taking the Lumen to an expert to be translated. What happened? Why not take pictures and send it to an expert? Also, you know that the CDC and government scientists would be in touch with Eph attempting to make the bioweapon much more effective and in larger quantities now that strigoi are all over the country and no longer confined to NY. 

Does the show have a new showrunner? It feels like there has been a memory lapse and I was watching a different show at times.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, bgidget said:

Last night's episode was great. I wouldn't be opposed to a Fet-Justine bromance but a big part of me still holds onto the hope that Fetch will be endgame.

trends.gif

Sorry couldn't help myself. I would have liked to have seen Fet paired with Nora but stupid show killed her off. Yet Zach remains with his stupid hair and face essentially stealing oxygen on the show. 

On to our show. I can't remember a damn thing from where we left off last season. I wish FX was like AMC and ran the prior season(s) in a marathon leading up to the premiere. Or did they do that and I missed it?

I'm glad this show is back. It is silly, mindless summer fun that I enjoy for the pure schlockiness of it and it has the advantage of being a damn sight better than Fear the Walking Dead, which is probably damning with faint praise.  I thought this was good as far as season openers go. I still want to know why Gus seems so on the fringes and he seems to be back at Stage 1 with feeding his mom.

Weirdly enough, I kinda miss rubber faced Master. Bolivar just isn't doing it for me. Those crab walking kids that roll with Eph's wife are the creepiest thing on this show. 

I kinda wish the show would cut the encounters with Team Lumen vs Eichorst. Eichorst is an amazing baddie but it just strikes me as strange that when given a clear chance to kill an enemy he is many times stronger and faster than, he never takes it. I suppose it could be seen as toying with them but still it doesn't seem smart. 

The Navy seals scene in the subway reminded me of Blade II, which made me sit there waiting for them to set off a UV bomb. 

• Love 1

Alright, I've watched the intro and saw the moderately intriguing and decent new credits sequence. Now Corey Stoll is drinking and imagining killing Zach (if only). Add in that the previouslies failed to really try to remind me what's been going on with anyone, throw in the above comments, and I don't feel the need to continue. Goodbye show!

Edited by TheRabbi
On 8/17/2016 at 9:44 AM, Queasy-bo said:

The strigoi are evolving, becoming faster. Smarter. 

Did we see any evidence of this?  This seem as dumb as ever.  And they didn't seem to move any faster.

On 8/29/2016 at 8:06 PM, xaxat said:

Fet's doing stuff, but his adoration of the SEALS felt out of character for him.

He's acting as an adviser to some of the best trained soldiers on the planet.  That's gotta pump on your ego a little.  

On 8/30/2016 at 10:21 AM, islandgal140 said:

Weirdly enough, I kinda miss rubber faced Master. Bolivar just isn't doing it for me. Those crab walking kids that roll with Eph's wife are the creepiest thing on this show. 

I agree about preferring the old Master over Bolivar.  Even though his face goofy as hell, he was damned imposing.  

How many spider kids does Lori have?  I thought they had all been killed.  Anyway, I'm glad they're still around.  I find them creepy but oddly cute.  

Speaking of creepy, the worms freak me out.  I can't believe Eph put that worm covered knife in the back seat of his car.  Given the fact they wriggle around, I would've been too scared one of the little suckers would've crawled up my leg while driving.

if he steals the book to save that rotten little shit, I will fucking lose it!

This is my big thing with fictional stories. Why do people think that people who are willing to kidnap/kill etc. etc. won't lie to them?  I once talked very seriously to Mr. Monty9 after this was a thing in a Transformers movie (shut up. It was hot ok?) Anyway I said "You know if someone ever asks you to do something incredibly awful in exchange for returning me ...Tell them to go ahead and kill me because 1. If someone is willing to do all that crap they are probably willing to lie as well and 2. Even if they do return me it's likely that your/my/humanity's life will be awful after said thing goes down and not worth living anyway.

Did we see any evidence of this?  This seem as dumb as ever.  And they didn't seem to move any faster.

More were surviving the bio weapon after each application. That's all I could see.

• Love 1