Type keyword(s) to search

The Closing Ceremonies: See you in Tokyo 2020

1 minute ago, briochetwist said:

I switched over to NBC coverage once and was shocked to see Ryan Seacrest, what exactly is he doing there? Does he also report on sports? Clue a girl in because I just don't get the connection.

There have been rumors for a while that NBC considered him a potential Lauer replacement. Lauer did the opening ceremony, so I guess we're stuck with Seacrest for this.

I'm sad to see it go.   Simone Biles should have been charging people for those pictures.  For me, four years is a long time.  I wish it was every 2 years instead (with Greece alternating as host, then a different country every four years).  But then I guess you would have see more of the same athletes who stick around too long.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

There have been rumors for a while that NBC considered him a potential Lauer replacement. Lauer did the opening ceremony, so I guess we're stuck with Seacrest for this.

You're kidding, right?  Right?!?!?!

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

You're kidding, right?  Right?!?!?!

Nope. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ryan-seacrest-today-show-matt-lauer-271580

For whatever reason, American networks think people like this guy. Lauer wasn't so good in the opening ceremony (he shared the same factoid as one of his cohorts like 10 minutes after they shared it. Pay attention, Matt!) but anyone is better than Seacrest.

• Love 1

*sniff* bye bye flame.  Bye bye Olympics.  

I agree that it was a good games.  Green pools and Ryan Lochte notwithstanding, it was still an enjoyable experience.

Can't wait for Pyeoungchang.  I like my summers but I luuurve my winter olympics.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Nope. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ryan-seacrest-today-show-matt-lauer-271580

For whatever reason, American networks think people like this guy. Lauer wasn't so good in the opening ceremony (he shared the same factoid as one of his cohorts like 10 minutes after they shared it. Pay attention, Matt!) but anyone is better than Seacrest.

I guess what I don't understand is the whole 'Olympic concept' of NBC. I get having Matt Lauer or Ryan Seacrest for the opening and closing ceremonies, but why is he still around during the rest of it. Every time I turned past NBC, there's Seacrest drinking margaritas or something else stupid and chatting. Constant nattering even and not a whole hell of a lot of event coverage. I read an article today that said NBC's Olympic viewership is down 17%. At the same time, CBC's Olympic viewership is up 18%. Coincidence? I think not...

Edited by briochetwist
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, kittykat said:

*sniff* bye bye flame.  Bye bye Olympics.  

I agree that it was a good games.  Green pools and Ryan Lochte notwithstanding, it was still an enjoyable experience.

Can't wait for Pyeoungchang.  I like my summers but I luuurve my winter olympics.

Just now, galaxygirl76 said:

Yeah, gimme my speed skating!!

You are my people. 

• Love 2

What would be the American equivalent of the Japanese Prime Minister turning into Mario and popping out of a pipe? Obama digging out of the dirt and declaring that he should have made the left turn at Albuquerque? And, of course, Hello Kitty made an appearance. Is she going to be co-opted as the mascot for the 2020 Games?

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Yeah, gimme my speed skating!!

Hopefully our people will give your people a run (er skate) for the medals.  The US team in sochi was atrocious...not to mention the Dutch were THAT good.

And the medal counts in winter games can be way more random.  

• Love 1
1 minute ago, kittykat said:

Hopefully our people will give your people a run (er skate) for the medals.  The US team in sochi was atrocious...not to mention the Dutch were THAT good.

And the medal counts in winter games can be way more random.  

Canada sucked pants too. it's like they forgot how to speedskate. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, kittykat said:

That's because the Dutch learn to skate practically from the time they can walk.  It and cycling (which they call het fietsen) are the two Dutch national pastimes.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

눈에 가져와 2018 년 Peyongchang 에 여러분 모두 를 참조하십시오 !
nun-e gajyeowa 2018 nyeon Peyongchang e yeoleobun modu leul chamjohasibsio !
See you all in Peyongchang in 2018. Bring on the snow!

• Love 3
Just now, Daisy said:

눈에 가져와 2018 년 Peyongchang 에 여러분 모두 를 참조하십시오 !
nun-e gajyeowa 2018 nyeon Peyongchang e yeoleobun modu leul chamjohasibsio !
See you all in Peyongchang in 2018. Bring on the snow!

Oh, now you're just showing off!  :-P

• Love 2
1 minute ago, legaleagle53 said:

That's because the Dutch learn to skate practically from the time they can walk.  It and cycling (which they call het fietsen are the two Dutch national pastimes.

psssst.. don't forget soccer..., but yeah speed skating is a big big deal in the Netherlands and we very rarely win winter games medals outside of that.

• Love 1
Just now, galaxygirl76 said:

psssst.. don't forget soccer..., but yeah speed skating is a big big deal in the Netherlands and we very rarely win winter games medals outside of that.

Ah, yes, de voetbal (can you tell that Dutch is one of my favorite languages?  :) )!

• Love 1
Just now, legaleagle53 said:

Oh, now you're just showing off!  :-P

(laugh) I lived in Asia for a while. I know technically it sucks that it's 3 Asian Quadrennials in a row (and more likely, back to Europe), but  - Korea is going to be awesome . it's sort of like a home-games for me. 

• Love 4

And because it can't be said often enough, shut up, Ryan Seacrest.

See y'all in South Korea!

ETA: Bob Costas up next on NBC for a couple of minutes at least.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 3

God, Seacrest really is inane. He hasn't said an interesting or original thing the entire time and his insertions are poorly timed and kill the mood Mary and Mike are creating. They were talking about indoor volleyball and he throws something in about beach volleyball. I wonder if they are giving Seacrest the stank eye. Mike talks about the environmental, Mary talks about life renewal, Seacrest says see you at the big party.

China needs to get on making rio cauldron themed gazing balls. I will put one out in my front yard.

• Love 5