Type keyword(s) to search

The Closing Ceremonies: See you in Tokyo 2020

Just now, mightysparrow said:

CBC is live.  Tokyo is going to be super high-tech.

I understand why so many people in Toronto are against having the Summer games in Toronto. (too expensive, social issues that need to be addressed first), but it would be so nice to have the Olympics at home.  The Pan AM games were so much fun.

I think just like the Pan Am games showed, we'd get over it right quick. I think Toronto hosting a Games would be great [even though as a Torontoian, it would be murder during those two weeks]. 

• Love 1

This Brazilian official should borrow Donald Trump's teleprompter.  Having a speech on typewritten pages, in the pouring rain and wind, when you're hands are shaking like crazy doesn't make giving a speech an easy thing.  But you can tell he's very proud and happy.   And RELIEVED!!

It's looking a little like Singin' In The Rain now.  The dancers don't look too bothered by the rain, but it must suck.

The clay doll dancers look a little creepy with the eyes.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Actually, No, Ryan Seacrest  and company. Canada always wears the mittens because 100% of proceeds go to the COC and development programmes, and Programme #IceInOurVeins stars next week when the Athletes get home to prepare for the winter games. FYI. they aren't leftovers from Vancouver. (they're not even the same ones LOL)

What did they say?  I'm curious, I'm watching on CBC. As an aside, I love the Olympic mittens, we buy several pairs every year.

This guy is cracking me up with the three different languages and his excitement!  I am recording NBC but watching CBC which is two hours ahead.  Now the French guy...I don't "speak French" but can completely understand everything he's saying.

Zhank you to all the volunteers also!

4 minutes ago, briochetwist said:

What did they say?  I'm curious, I'm watching on CBC. As an aside, I love the Olympic mittens, we buy several pairs every year.

basically that "can someone tell the Canadians it's not that cold, they don't need mittens!" then they were like "where did they come from, I guess left overs from Vancouver."

• Love 1
Just now, Red Bridey said:

I am recording NBC but watching CBC which is two hours ahead. 

Hopefully NBC airs it in its entirety this time. Anybody remember Vancouver 2010 when NBC abandoned the closing ceremonies to broadcast Jerry Seinfeld's The Marriage Ref instead?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, briochetwist said:

Hopefully NBC airs it in its entirety this time. Anybody remember Vancouver 2010 when NBC abandoned the closing ceremonies to broadcast Jerry Seinfeld's The Marriage Ref instead?

YES >.<

1 minute ago, Daisy said:

basically that "can someone tell the Canadians it's not that cold, they don't need mittens!" then they were like "where did they come from, I guess left overs from Vancouver."

Thanks.  :)  On a shallow note, I think we look fantastic again this year! 

• Love 1

One of my favourite parts of the closing ceremonies is when the head of the IOC says 'I call upon the youth of the world to assemble four years from now in (insert city name)'.  It's so hopeful and I imagine some kid somewhere making his/her mind up to answer the call.

• Love 17
Just now, mightysparrow said:

One of my favourite parts of the closing ceremonies is when the head of the IOC says 'I call upon the youth of the world to assemble four years from now in (insert city name)'.  It's so hopeful and I imagine some kid somewhere making his/her mind up to answer the call.

Oh I know. when i was younger, I was like I'll be there! then you know. reality sat in (laugh) but I was there in spirit!

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, briochetwist said:

Oh, I remember when Roots was a major thing during the 2002 Winter Olympics.  I was living and working in Salt Lake City at the time, and the locals couldn't get enough of it.

2 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

I haven't bothered watching the closing ceremonies because I thought the Americans would be booed because of the swimmer thing. Hope they were greeted warmly. See you all in 2020 in Tokyo!

Nah, I don't think the Cariocas would have bothered, especially after Matt Lauer finally dragged an apology out of Ryan Lochte.

1 minute ago, kathy42977 said:

This program Tokyo  is putting on is better then anything we have seen in London or Rio.

This is just freakin' INCREDIBLE!

Just now, Browncoat said:

That graphic for Tokyo was amazing!

It is already making me excited for their Opening Ceremonies!

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Oh, I remember when Roots was a major thing during the 2002 Winter Olympics.  I was living and working in Salt Lake City at the time, and the locals couldn't get enough of it.

Roots used to dress us, that was when we first started to look good. Then shortly after that they abandoned us to outfit the US and Hudson's Bay Co. took over. With the exception of the 2008 disaster (see horrific photo a couple of posts above), they've done a pretty good job. This year the design team of dsquared2 worked with The Bay and I think we look pretty damn spiffy.  

5 minutes ago, Daisy said:

yes. yes i did. 

5 minutes later and I'm still laughing!

I just wandered over to the thebay.com and ordered one of the nifty womens closing ceremony jackets. I will look awesome walking the dog.  ;)

• Love 2
Just now, galaxygirl76 said:

I don't know about you guys, but I am stoked for Tokyo.

私は越えて東京2020のために興奮しています!
Watashi wa koete Tōkyō 2020 no tame ni kōfun shite imasu!
(I am beyond stoked for Tokyo 2020!)

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Daisy said:

私は越えて東京2020のために興奮しています!
Watashi wa koete Tōkyō 2020 no tame ni kōfun shite imasu!
(I am beyond stoked for Tokyo 2020!)

2020-nen mada desu ka? (Is it 2020 yet?)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is sad the games are ending.  As horrid as NBCs coverage has been, I've as always,  thoroughly enjoyed the games.  And as others have said,  it's awesome to come here and read comments from everyone!   I also think that this Olympic cauldron was one of the prettiest ever.  That sculpture was just stunning and beautiful.  

Shut up, Seacrest.  I'd almost rather listen to Al Troutface.  

Looking forward to the next games! 

• Love 6
Just now, Browncoat said:

The cauldron is beautiful on its own, but what makes it extra special to me is that it's a kinetic sculpture.  The motion and the light are captivating.

I wonder what they will do with it after? I hope they install it somewhere in Rio. It's stunningly gorgeous.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, OSM Mom said:

Shut up, Seacrest.  I'd almost rather listen to Al Troutface.  

I switched over to NBC coverage once and was shocked to see Ryan Seacrest, what exactly is he doing there? Does he also report on sports? Clue a girl in because I just don't get the connection.

• Love 1
Just now, briochetwist said:

I switched over to NBC coverage once and was shocked to see Ryan Seacrest, what exactly is he doing there? Does he also report on sports? Clue a girl in because I just don't get the connection.

He's supposed to be their way of embracing the youth but Ryan is so 2010 if even that.

• Love 1