Type keyword(s) to search

The Closing Ceremonies: See you in Tokyo 2020

40 minutes ago, Daisy said:

Closing Ceremony Time!
(sigh)

La la la la la.  I can't hear you!

Besides, I'm on the Left Coast - AND I'm on DVR delay.  ;-)

On a much too personal (and much too maudlin) note, I want to tell you all how much I've appreciated reading all your posts and sharing this experience with you.  I've always "done" the Olympics with my Mum, no matter how far apart we've lived; this time around, she's in hospice in Canada, so it's probably our last hurrah.  Somehow sharing the Olympic spirit with y'all, and sharing your insights and comments with my Mum each day, has made life more bearable these past weeks, and I am grateful.

See you in the forums (yes, the "other" PTV forums I've been ignoring!).  :-)

• Love 17
Just now, walnutqueen said:

La la la la la.  I can't hear you!

Besides, I'm on the Left Coast - AND I'm on DVR delay.  ;-)

On a much too personal (and much too maudlin) note, I want to tell you all how much I've appreciated reading all your posts and sharing this experience with you.  I've always "done" the Olympics with my Mum, no matter how far apart we've lived; this time around, she's in hospice in Canada, so it's probably our last hurrah.  Somehow sharing the Olympic spirit with y'all, and sharing your insights and comments with my Mum each day, has made life more bearable these past weeks, and I am grateful.

See you in the forums (yes, the "other" PTV forums I've been ignoring!).  :-)

(hugs) my best to your Mum. and I agree. the Olympic Spirit is always so much more fun when you do the Olympics with people who appreciate it and love it. 

Of course NBC is on time delay. Hopefully, they show all of the opening of the Closing Ceremony. it's beautiful. I have to switch because I always need to watch the montage of the games.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, chitowngirl said:

Costas is not announcing the Closing Ceremonies. He and Al had a retrospective before the ceremonies.

no i mean... he closes off , and previews Tokyo and Peyongchang.  then there is the scenic montage and then the Olympic memory montage to the "Remember the Titains" soundtrack. he always does this.. i missed it?

• Love 1

This was a nice Olympics.  I was really concerned about what could happen because Rio is in such bad shape.  I'm happy that Lochte was the worst thing to happen at this Olympics.  But tomorrow the people of Brazil are going to wake up and their lives will be as difficult as they were before.  Maybe more.  I couldn't help noticing that were so many empty seats at the venues and I realized it's because most Brazilians couldn't afford tickets.

God bless the people of Brazil; they did their very best.

• Love 8

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, and I'm happy for the people of Brazil that they weren't embarrassed or anything.  I'm also happy for them that they won gold in soccer.  Otherwise, I'd be lying if I said this was one of my favorite Olympics though.  Something just seemed "off" and I can't put my finger on why.

But now I see Simone carrying the flag and i'm grinning from ear to ear. : )

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

This was a nice Olympics.  I was really concerned about what could happen because Rio is in such bad shape.  I'm happy that Lochte was the worst thing to happen at this Olympics.  But tomorrow the people of Brazil are going to wake up and their lives will be as difficult as they were before.  Maybe more.  I couldn't help noticing that were so many empty seats at the venues and I realized it's because most Brazilians couldn't afford tickets.

Yep, I agree with you. I have a good friend who lives outside Sao Paolo and she was telling me before the opening ceremonies how much anxiety she and other Brazilians felt about the fact that the lead up to the games had been terrible and their concern that things would go wrong. So for Brazil's sake, I'm really glad the games went off (mostly) without a hitch. But my happiness is tempered with the knowledge that Brazil still has a world of political and economic problems that won't be papered over by a successful Olympics. I hope good things will come out of these games for the country, but Greece is a really powerful cautionary tale about what happens when a country spends on an Olympics it can't afford. I pray the same fate doesn't befall Brazil.

• Love 3

Someone in another thread mentioned the Brazilian booing, and I remembered that's one of the reasons that this isn't on my list of Favorite Olympics.  I don't care if they do it in futbol/soccer; I don't care if they're "passionate."  It's just bad form to do it, especially as an Olympic host city. 

Anyway, still waiting for Tonga.....

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

God bless the people of Brazil; they did their very best.

Apparently tickets were sold but just not used. There was a theory that tickets were being used to access the area but not attending the actual events. There was a also a program to give tickets to kids, but those were similarly not used all that much.  The theory there is that the organizers did not do a good enough job of figuring out things like tansportation for the kids. I believe this was all on yahoo this week.

Actually, No, Ryan Seacrest  and company. Canada always wears the mittens because 100% of proceeds go to the COC and development programmes, and Programme #IceInOurVeins stars next week when the Athletes get home to prepare for the winter games. FYI. they aren't leftovers from Vancouver. (they're not even the same ones LOL)

• Love 3
Just now, mightysparrow said:

I just flipped over to NBC and realized one of the best things about being Canadian is that Ryan Seacrest doesn't work for the CBC.

Not yet. You might not want to give them any ideas. One of the things that bugs me most about Seacrest being here is that he was on 3 networks for a while (Fox, ABC, and NBC). They probably had to fight to make sure he was allowed to do this. Like they actively worked to give us Seacrest. Ick.

• Love 3

(laugh). they have a super mario pipe in rio!

2 minutes ago, Red Bridey said:

(I'm watching the CBC coverage).  The lowering of the Olympic flag always makes me teary.

Me too. (sigh). 

CBC is live.  Tokyo is going to be super high-tech.

I understand why so many people in Toronto are against having the Summer games in Toronto. (too expensive, social issues that need to be addressed first), but it would be so nice to have the Olympics at home.  The Pan AM games were so much fun.

3 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Is CBC showing it live?  Y'all seem to be ahead of NBC.

yah, it's about 1 hr ahead. we started at 7:00

1 minute ago, galaxygirl76 said:

I'm hearing a lot of athletes are leaving the closing ceremony because it's cold and they are not interested in sitting in the rain for an hour and a half.

I would leave. it is raining hard. you can catch this on youtube. 

Tokyo's presentation is amazing. it was better than London's + Rio's hands down. 

• Love 1

The red on yellow dancers representing the indigenous of Brazil, clashed, sometimes you couldn't tell what they were doing.

A singer /songwriter for Bieber? Seriously?  That's the best you could do?  You couldn't even hear her.

And Al? STFU!

• Love 3