Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Slaves To Gab

• Start Topic

DWPup! Llywela! SilverStorm the Oathkeeper! I will be here - HYPE IS BUILDING!!

I am re-watching in preparation for S8. I couldn't go all the way back, so I started with S3. What a lot of amazing goodness there.

Just started S4. "King" Joffrey is about to get got. Woo hoo! I should be able to finish the re-watch before the new season starts, but it will be a race to the end.

Hope some of the fellow contributors return.

• Love 2

I've been slowly working my way through re-watching the whole series. I'm currently stuck on S04E08. It's the head crushing episode. I still, after all this time, haven't been able to watch it in its entirety. I flinch during the head squeeze final seconds. Once, I get over that, I should be able to continue on with a few episodes a week.

The plan is to finish up by the premiere. I'll happily banter back and forth with WhiteStumbler over our re-watch even if I'm a bit behind.

• Love 1

I'm here in spirit, guys, if not in chat, as I have a minor family emergency occupying all my time at present - hoping to have a bit more time to myself by the time the new season rolls around!

• Love 1

I would never have imagined that, back in 2010, when I crawled -battered from the regular threads- into the relative safety of the TWoP Completely Unspoiled thread (one thread. One very long thread!), that I would survive with a small, but valiant band of diehards defending our Unsulliedness (and promoting our silliness) for 8 more years!

But I appreciate the variety of our far flung opinions. We've had such a good time together. Shock! Disbelief! Outrage!   Insight. Pigshit. Puns!

I believe show endings are difficult to navigate, so I face this one with jaw and fists clenched - hoping for something positive to take away. However small.

Thank you all who shared spitballs over the years. (some of you now with the benign bookwalkers) This has been an almost unbelievable life event. Certainly one I couldn't have foreseen... nor would have missed.

• Love 5
(edited)

@Anothermi, Here, Here! I completely forgot that the original TWoP Completely Unspoiled thread was one long thread, rather like the Long Night of Winter, and whenever we wanted to recall or repost something from past seasons, we had to slog through leagues of pages to find the proper season, let alone the quote or comment we were searching for. It was nearly as hellish as a rat in a stomach bucket (well, perhaps that's a wee bit of an exaggeration), and I remember huddling together in our 'Castle East', wondering what was to become of us, until at least we received an emergency raven that @David T. Cole and his team here would receive us with a welcome fit for a Khaleesi, and offer the protection we desperately needed. And then to have seasons with episode threads, and White Cloaks, that was heaven! No more slogging through endless one thread, multi-year posts! Thanks to the Old Gods and the New!

The last two seasons in particular, we have seen several of our remaining Unsullied lay down their swords and  leave the Spitball Wall, their watch having been ended, some by unintentional spoilering, some by a burning desire to know more than what A Show was providing us, some simply losing interest for a myriad of reasonable causes, and others simply getting lost somewhere along the King's Road. To all of our former Unsullied brethren who at one time or another - be it for one episode, one season, or more - have taken their watch with us here at the Spitball Wall, we salute you and want you to know that this journey would not have been as rich without your presence and participation. 

Like @Anothermi mentioned, never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I would participate in something like this for eight seasons, spanning nine years of my life! To the remaining band of Unsullied here - @Anothermi, @Llywela, @Pallas@DirewolfPup, @WhiteStumbler, @janjan, @walnutqueen, and @ChocButterfly (who is here with us in spirit) - small though we are, have stuck together through the low points of The Joffrey Years and the Mental Seige of Ramsey. And we have thrilled to the highs of baby dragonettes, Arya finally pulling that coin out of her pocket and uttering "Valar Morghulis" before boarding the ship to Braavos, Arya telling Braavos to suck it, to the Starks reuniting at Winterfell, and everything that's come since then. You guys will always be my Spitball Watch brethren and this journey would not have been half as much fun without you, so thank you my friends for remaining Unsullied until the end, I know it's been very difficult at times but we persevered and we did it. Our watch may be ending tonight, but I am certain we will find another journey to take together, I swear it by the Old Gods and the New!

Gingerella xo

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 5

I am fortunate to have remained unspoiled for this entire series (well, except for the time my cat walked across my keyboard and revealed a spoiler tagged item, the Little Bastard!).

So no matter what happens on A Show tonight, all I know is that by 7:23 pm I shall feel a keen sense of loss.  I suspect I will be in mourning for quite some time, and you, my faithful few, will be my only solace.  Thanks to everyone for being here.

• Love 2

I swear, I haven't watched a clock this closely since I retired from my J.O.B. over a decade ago.  Oh, who am I kidding?  I haven't watched a clock AT ALL in that decade.

I feel like there should be a word for the mixture of anticipation, dread, curiosity and despondency that I am feeling ...

I, for one, fully intend to savor every last minute, with no agenda, and my critical eye firmly closed.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

I feel like there should be a word for the mixture of anticipation, dread, curiosity and despondency that I am feeling ...

I'm pretty sure it's 'impending doom'...

• LOL 4

Hey Brethren and Sistren, check of "Name of the Rose" tonight (5/23) at 10:00 on Sundance channel. Maybe, just maybe, it will assuage our grief at the end of Thrones:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/tv/la-et-st-name-of-the-rose-series-sundance-review-20190522-story.html

• Useful 1
18 hours ago, janjan said:

Hey Brethren and Sistren, check of "Name of the Rose"

Neeeeever mind. It's not in the same league. Big on gratuitous spectacle.

• LOL 2
38 minutes ago, janjan said:

Neeeeever mind. It's not in the same league. Big on gratuitous spectacle.

Is it based on the book? I read it, once upon a time - and I believe there was a film version, way back when. But this version isn't worth the effort, you say? Shame.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Llywela said:

Is it based on the book? I read it, once upon a time - and I believe there was a film version, way back when. But this version isn't worth the effort, you say? Shame.

Yes, it's based on the book. The previous film had Sean Connery and Christian Slater, and the reviews were mixed at best (I didn't see it). I read a couple reviews on the new tv miniseries, and they were very negative. That was my reaction, too. It's a shame cuz I *love* John Turturo. But I guess the book is hard to adapt to film.

• Love 1

Do you fellow (former) Unsullied think we need to send out a search party for @WhiteStumbler ? Missing in the wind-up action.

I know we were warned to expect a late arrival, but now I fear our friend and comrade was taken down by a spoiler sword just before the finish line and is languishing between pre and post final - unable to communicate!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
3 minutes ago, Anothermi said:

Do you fellow (former) Unsullied think we need to send out a search party for @WhiteStumbler ? Missing in the wind-up action.

I know we were warned to expect a late arrival, but now I fear our friend and comrade was taken down by a spoiler sword just before the finish line and is languishing between pre and post final - unable to communicate!

No, he was going to be in another country when the finale aired so he said he'd be late to our post-finale party...

ETA: Why not send him a raven to Castle East?

Edited by gingerella
  • Love 1

Heeeeere, Stumbler! Here boy! You come over here right now!

Pallas, too, has only posted briefly. Heeeeere, Pallas!

I just can't let go of GoT. Wanna hear more talk. And I'm still Unsullied, except for watching some outtakes, but I don't think that counts as spoilage.

• Love 3

To paraphrase Jon...

I'm here to say goodbye to my brothers and sisters, to my friends. Our fellow men and women who set aside their differences to fight together and snark together so that others might be entertained or gain a different perspective on A Show.

I am also here to say goodbye to our heroic Whitecloaks. Everyone who posted in this forum owes them a debt that can never be repaid. It is our duty and our honor to thank them for their tireless service in guarding this forum, and they should be honored for as long as men draw breath. They were the shields that guarded the realms of men. And we shall never see their like again.

• Love 4