Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Slaves To Gab

• Start Topic

(edited)
While it got easier to police myself after the first long summer, it has gotten exponentially harder to avoid A Show's public preeminence.

Yea verily, dude.  I remember at the end of the first season and through to the second it was a case of "How?  How will we not succumb and read the books?"  and over time it became "Not reading the books is actually easy....all you do is not read those bad boys and you're golden."  Nay, tis the entirety of society (or so it seems at times) that poses the challenge.  

So if you're Heidi's grandfather, you stand a chance of never having to do things like act like a complete freak of nature in the middle of a conversation with someone else.  Other than that?  Yeah, the night is dark and full of book details.  Tread lightly, tread carefully.  Sprint when necessary.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 5

If anyone else is rewatching S4, keep an eye open for Lancel Lannister. I have watched the two big weddings (Tyrion + Sansa, and Joffrey + Margaery), and I didn't see him in either. The last place I might have seen him in the background will be in the Trial of Tyrion. I am becoming less and less certain that we saw him at all last season, even as a glorified extra.

I watched S4E2 The Lion and The Rose last night. Wow, seeing Joffrey die again at his wedding was just the most satisfying thing. I had forgotten just how much of an @ssh*le he had been in the wedding scenes leading up to his poisoning. Other than A Certain Ridiculous Plot, it was so perfect. A bit more torture would have been nice, but I had been begging for a moment like this for a long time and beggars can't be choosers.

• Love 1
(edited)

Also, since this is the off-topic section I have other news.  In order to heighten my nerd/weirdo credibility, I got a snake.  Every snake deserves a bad ass name, right? We decided to name him Oberon. Partially, to honor the recently passed GOT Oberyn and partially to honor the lovely beer :)

For those unfamiliar:

Beer Pic

Snake Pic

Edited by SilverStormm
Turned the pics into links. :)
  • Love 5

DirewolfPup, I'm bringing this up because of the lovely images of Oberon's beer and your pretty snake...

If you recall, we had a bit of a kerfuffle last season due to posted screen grabs, and I suggested to the mods that we have a rule that no images be posted in this Habitat - just links to images. It was a way to avoid the problematic situation in the future. The beneficent White Cloaks explained they couldn't enforce or impose the rule (technical and logistical obstacles) but suggested that we adopt it as a self-policing house rule.

In that spirit, I'd like to ask if you would edit your post to follow the house rule. That way new posters, who haven't had time to read through the Proclamations thread, won't get confused and think it is OK to post images in the Unsullied Habitat. 

I love your images and am happy to have seen them, just want to make sure our safety precautions (rules) aren't confusing. 

• Love 1

Yeah, that is actually a very pretty snake, which is not something I anticipated saying today,  but we did make the Spitball Wall Code of Text Only, if you wouldn't mind :-) 

Glad that you have a new family member!  

• Love 1
(edited)

That snake is truly gorgeous. I love snakes. All reptiles really. Wish I had room for some of my own. My cat would freak though.

I had a snake briefly in college, but this is my first real snake that's mine. My cat Margaery* has shown a little interest, but Oberon isn't too wiggly so he just gets a lot of stares. His cage has been the new favorite cat perch for naps though.

*Yes, I have Margaery and Oberon. I think I have a GOT problem...

Edited by DirewolfPup
  • Love 3

DirewolfPup: And now your (re) watch is ended.

I am right behind you. I just finished S4E05 First of His Name last night, planning on re-watching all but the last episode prior to Sunday, then watching S4E10 and S5E01 back-to-back on Sunday.

Hype Overload!

• Love 2

It's a gorgeous day here in the Northeast (winter is retreating!), and I'm torn between a somewhat selective Season 4 re-watch, and hours spent outdoors at the barn.  My fault for a misspent March.  And what are taxes?  "Suggested donation," right?

• Love 2

I decided to use this new HBO Now as my GoT watching service. I've been trying to ween my way out of cable slowly for years.

Anyway, had a pretty positive experience with it. I signed up using Apple instead of Sling TV. They're offering a 1-month free trial, so I figured why not.  You have to sign up through the HBO Now app, which is only available through iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV. If you don't have one of those devices, I don't think you can sign up, which isn't great. I signed up with my phone, and watched it on my computer through the website. I didn't watch live. This was after the initial airtime, but it worked really well. No buffering or anything.

DirewolfPup: A friend is interested in that option. Was the picture HD? Thanks.

I've read that it doesn't stream in perfect HD like Netflix and Amazon Instant Video do, but that it's "close enough" and not really detectible. I only watched on my little 15" laptop screen, so I can't confirm this for myself.

• Love 2

It was Joffrey who leaked the first five episodes of season five.  He thought they were from season 4, and that the exposure of the plot against him would inspire the realm -- well, his mother -- to rise up in arms. 

• Love 2

Greetings, Salutations and, as always, GROG! (or the non-alcoholic equivalent, perhaps with a blood-sugar balancing snack, just to cover all bases).  

Hear ye, hear ye, calling all long time members of the Spitball Wall.   Please check in at last year's meeting area.   PM me for the link if you've lost it.  

This is the Spitball Wall equivalent of picking up the White Courtesy phone.  

We now return you to your regularly scheduled siege, clan war, spot of store room hiding, or whatever else holds your fancy.  Somebody in the Kingdoms must fish, right?  Try that!  Very relaxing.   

Post a guard, of course.  

Carry a weapon, admittedly.  

Don't turn your back on....

You know what?  Maybe skip the fishing.  

Edited by stillshimpy
  • Love 2

I am officially at the stage in packing where I want to become a Buddhist and renounce all worldly goods.   

This will only be rivaled by that moment when I get to our new house and realize I have to unpack all this stuff again. 

I'll pray to the seven to make me a sparrow, or something.  

• Love 1

I am loitering outside our corporate apartment, while it is cleaned, sitting atop an impressive pile of boxes and personal possessions that we hauled up a flight of stairs in eighty degree weather. This after putting our entire house into storage for a month.

As I wait to gain access I am posting about GoT from my phone.

I don't have a problem, or anything.

• Love 1

Does anyone know how to edit a Topic? I want to update the Milk Carton topic since we are at the half-way (!!!!) point for the season.

Hi WhiteStumbler,

If you want to PM me with what you would like it changed to, I can do that for you.

I haven't seen any notifications on that, 90% and on the day that this series ends, or I finally give up on it, throw my knapsack off the top of the wall and head out, I envision a month's worth of extra stuff to watch.  

I have a question though, is there a new episode this weekend?   Or are we skipping one for Memorial Day? 

Facebook keeps telling me that Peter Dinklage is singing about GoT characters somewhere. I've avoided looking just in case. Has anyone seen this? Is it spoilery at all?

I haven't seen any notifications on that, 90% and on the day that this series ends, or I finally give up on it, throw my knapsack off the top of the wall and head out, I envision a month's worth of extra stuff to watch.  

I have a question though, is there a new episode this weekend?   Or are we skipping one for Memorial Day? 

Hello! Am I allowed in here? To answer, there is a Red Nose Day 12 minute charity special with Coldplay and some of the cast singing. It is not spoilery, has no footage of the show, and it's just a little bit of fun. You are free to wait until after the season airs to watch it, but I've also put it below in a spoiler tag. As you all probably should know by now, please avoid the youtube page and the comments; they are spoilery.

Silver has put up the episode thread for tomorrow. The show is not skipping Memorial Day weekend this year.

• Love 3

As a founding member of the Spitball Wall, I normally stay far away from such things, but I ventured in with caution and trepidation, on behalf of my fellow Unsullied and I can report without reservation, that this is both entirely non-spoilery (if you view it from the link in this thread, therefore avoiding any unsightly comments likely present on the YT site version) AND it is, to be perfectly honest, fucking hilarious! My favorite part has to be the Jon Snow portion, I needed a good laugh and that was spot on!

gingerella gives it 3 thumbs up!

• Love 3

Also, Rose Leslie is entirely constructed out of awesomeness and fun.  Mark Addy showing up also tickled me to no end and Kit Harrington is practically pocket-sized.  I have a soft spot for people who will show up and do things for charity.  I have an even bigger soft spot for people willing to have a good time with it. 

Incidentally, Chris Martin seems like a great guy with a good sense of humor about himself.  Every time I see him on something (like on the Colbert Report) I wonder why I'm so surprised that he seems so cool.  I actually like Coldplay's music just fine, so it has nothing to do with thinking they're too bubblegum or mainstream or whatever other 'I reject them based on my own Indy coolness' thing I'm supposed to be doing.   So I'm always sort of astonished that he seems like such a good, funny guy who isn't prone to taking himself seriously and I wonder why I do.   Then I remember he has a child named Apple and I remember why I find it surprising.  

• Love 1

By the way, in the "nothing spoilery, just involved cast" category: the other day I was looking through HBO for something to watch and saw a movie called Another Me and recognized Sophie Turner's name (she plays Sansa, in case anyone else doesn't recognize her name).  

Wow.  What a bad movie.  We turned it off thirty minutes in and that was at least fifteen minutes too long.  It was dreadful.  It wasn't Turner's fault, it was one of the worst written pieces of crap I've ever seen.  

Pallas, my fav part was "Wildling"...

By the artist formerly not known as "Kit Snow," gingerella... And it's so true, shimpy: everyone gave their all, all in good fun, for a good cause, and not an ounce of self-importance or self-congratulation.  Chris Martin as the self-duped artist was hilarious and even subtle.   

Neeson's sonorous, solemn narration was terrific too. Especially the tiny inflection he put on his "Hmm," at the very end: incredibly real, a bit of a grunt, not "indicating" at all.  And with that, he played at underscoring how his narration had, right up to that point, been "merely" professional and disengaged. Ah, but then it got personal -- and Liam played at a gut response.

Now I have to go look up Another Me...not to watch it, mind you, but to see the premise.

Incidentally, Chris Martin seems like a great guy with a good sense of humor about himself.  Every time I see him on something (like on the Colbert Report) I wonder why I'm so surprised that he seems so cool.  I actually like Coldplay's music just fine, so it has nothing to do with thinking they're too bubblegum or mainstream or whatever other 'I reject them based on my own Indy coolness' thing I'm supposed to be doing.   So I'm always sort of astonished that he seems like such a good, funny guy who isn't prone to taking himself seriously and I wonder why I do.   Then I remember he has a child named Apple and I remember why I find it surprising.  

I'll out myself as former Coldplay fan. I started listening to them fifteen years ago with their first album. Indeed, I still listen to their first couple of albums. Personally, I haven't found the music as good since the earlier albums so I avoid the band altogether now. Something they have been always good about is the charity and social justice work. What did surprise me is that I forgot how fit Martin is now. He has serious arms in the video which he didn't have all those years ago.

I didn't realize how small Kit Snow was. Hehe.

Iwan remains adorable even though he plays Ramsay.

(edited)

Speaking of Alfie and Iwan, I was cracking up at "torture in every scene."

Edit: On second watch, maybe they weren't singing "torture in every scene." I guess I just made that part up.

Edited by 90PercentGravity
(edited)

Now I have to go look up Another Me...not to watch it, mind you, but to see the premise.

Oh great! I get a movie named after me and it's a pile of crap. <sulks> Plus they spelled it wrong... <sulks some more>

Edited by Anothermi
  • Love 2