Type keyword(s) to search

As Seen On TV: Does ANY of this crap work?

• Start Topic

I looked into getting a Flutter Frenzy for my cats. It's a little feathery bird in a plastic cage that spins around, wobbles and emits real birdsong. It looked like something they'd love. $19.95? Sure. So I went to their website. You can't buy just one. You have to buy two. It's an EXTRA SPECIAL deal-buy two and only pay S&H. $30.00 bucks for a cat toy? I don't think so.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I looked into getting a Flutter Frenzy for my cats. It's a little feathery bird in a plastic cage that spins around, wobbles and emits real birdsong. It looked like something they'd love. $19.95? Sure. So I went to their website. You can't buy just one. You have to buy two. It's an EXTRA SPECIAL deal-buy two and only pay S&H. $30.00 bucks for a cat toy? I don't think so.

WOW I looked at their page, and it says ONE order will include TWO toys!  False advertising, you need to report to ripoff report and BBB.

• Love 3

I use my cat's Furminator on my clothes and bedsheets sometimes to pick up fur. I just have to remember to be gentle. Since it's warmer out and he's shedding more doing this has reduced the amount of fur left everywhere except the floor after he scratches. I haven't tried lint rollers or anything.

On 7/17/2017 at 0:38 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

Center piece lovers of the world, "Unite!". LOL.  I have found my people.  My center piece preference also applies to sheet cakes and cornbread.  My husband thinks I need therapy.

Since it's only me, when I make brownies I trim off the edge and just eat the rest. The center pace of a fudgy brownie (w/o any other crap in it) is one of the best things (that and rice krispy treats - which I cannot make) is amazing!!

• Love 6

ON 7/17/2017 AT 11:38 AM, SUBURBANHANGSUITE SAID:

Center piece lovers of the world, "Unite!". LOL.  I have found my people.  My center piece preference also applies to sheet cakes and cornbread.  My husband thinks I need therapy.

Since it's only me, when I make brownies I trim off the edge and just eat the rest. The center pace of a fudgy brownie (w/o any other crap in it) is one of the best things (that and rice krispy treats - which I cannot make) is amazing!!

I don't like the edges, and I wouldn't buy the special pan, but I also wouldn't waste any part of the brownie! I make my rice krispy treats with a lot more marshmallow than rice krispy and I just spread a little butter on wax paper and dump the mess on it. This way, I only make what will eat in a few hours. Ok, who am I kidding, I will eat the entire mess in a few hours! lol. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jamoche said:

The ad for the Sock Slider just came on again and reminded me - if you can't bend enough to get socks on over your feet, what about underwear?

Let Mary Jo Shively show you how it's done:

• Love 7

just saw the sock slider ad, Jamoche, I think you could use the piece for removing socks and aids with putting on shoes for helping with underwear, put the stick through the waist and one leg, hold it out so you can get your leg into it, then put it through the other side, then pull them into place. I'm kind of getting to that point where putting on underwear is a problem. I can do socks, because I sit down and can get my leg up to put socks. I may have to start sitting to put on underwear too, lol.

On 7/15/2017 at 6:05 PM, peacheslatour said:

I want those copper pans and the stuff Cindy Crawford hawks. And the  blackhead mask. And the brownie pan with the separate compartment for each brownie so you always get corners.

I have that pan, and it's not as "edgy" as you would expect!  The edges come out soft, but the whole brownie is just a bit more "done" than I prefer. However, I love to use the pan for when I need to take brownies to other people (holidays, potlucks, etc) - homemade brownies are messy-looking when you cut them yourself. Also, the pan is good for portion control.  It's not the best for making cakes... I find that the cake bows up a lot in the middle and sticks to the dividers too much.

On 7/15/2017 at 11:42 PM, friendperidot said:

One product I don't want is the brownie pan, I don't like the edges of brownies, I like the soft, gooey center pieces. I did buy new pans earlier this year, I looked at the copper pans, but went with Farberware.

I prefer to do my brownies the old fashioned way - in a cheap-ass 8x8 pan I got at Walmart about 20 years ago. Covered with foil, sprayed with Pam, baked until *justset* .  Let them sit about 5 minutes, then dig in!  (I may or may not eat 1/6 of the pan in one sitting... only because I'm forced to share with family).

On 7/17/2017 at 0:38 PM, SuburbanHangSuite said:

For sheet cakes, if they're still in the pan, then yes, I'd much rather have the center. If it's a fully frosted, on a board, sheet cake (like from a store bakery), I'm a corner gal every single time. And I actually make my cornbread in a muffin tin - crispy edges to get caramelized and extra-sweet, yummy!

For those of you who like seeing videos of As Seen on TV stuff being tested, check out Vivian Tries on YouTube.  She is a hoot!

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, amykay9377 said:

I have that pan, and it's not as "edgy" as you would expect!  The edges come out soft, but the whole brownie is just a bit more "done" than I prefer. However, I love to use the pan for when I need to take brownies to other people (holidays, potlucks, etc) - homemade brownies are messy-looking when you cut them yourself. Also, the pan is good for portion control.  It's not the best for making cakes... I find that the cake bows up a lot in the middle and sticks to the dividers too much.

I prefer to do my brownies the old fashioned way - in a cheap-ass 8x8 pan I got at Walmart about 20 years ago. Covered with foil, sprayed with Pam, baked until *justset* .  Let them sit about 5 minutes, then dig in!  (I may or may not eat 1/6 of the pan in one sitting... only because I'm forced to share with family).

For sheet cakes, if they're still in the pan, then yes, I'd much rather have the center. If it's a fully frosted, on a board, sheet cake (like from a store bakery), I'm a corner gal every single time. And I actually make my cornbread in a muffin tin - crispy edges to get caramelized and extra-sweet, yummy!

For those of you who like seeing videos of As Seen on TV stuff being tested, check out Vivian Tries on YouTube.  She is a hoot!

I just went and watched a few of her videos. The bacon bowl, copper griddle and veggie curl gadget. Hilarious! Thanks amykay, I now have a brand new addiction!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, amykay9377 said:

I flove Vivian! And 1/6 of an 8x8 pan? I admire such restraint!

• Love 6

Sometimes, instead of baking my cornbread in a muffin tin, I'll double the milk in the recipe & make waffles. Cornmeal waffles are great!

But I'm sure they'll be coming up with a copper waffle iron soon.  Not even the Teflon® covered waffle baker is fully non-stick. I'll be buying the copper waffle iron as soon as it becomes available.

• Love 5

I went to Walmart today, and this is totally you guys fault! I did look at the section of stuff As Seen on TV, looked at the box for the bathtub scrubber, I really think I've got to get that. Didn't buy any of this stuff, but I did get the makings for Rice Krispy treats. And it's your fault if I put some of those pounds back on! I'll be bitching here when the fat jeans get snug again.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

I went to Walmart today, and this is totally you guys fault! I did look at the section of stuff As Seen on TV, looked at the box for the bathtub scrubber, I really think I've got to get that. Didn't buy any of this stuff, but I did get the makings for Rice Krispy treats. And it's your fault if I put some of those pounds back on! I'll be bitching here when the fat jeans get snug again.

Have you ever tried melting butterscotch chips in with the marshmallows and butter?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Just grab yourself a pair of Pajama Jeans right out of that same ASoTV section!  I think they're stretchy.  No need to thank me ;-)

• Love 8

Just grab yourself a pair of Pajama Jeans right out of that same ASoTV section!  I think they're stretchy.  No need to thank me ;-)

those weren't part of the display at the store I was in. I think they have a bigger display somewhere else in the store, but wasn't really looking today. The Neighborhood Market I used to go to had a huge "As Seen On TV" display, this is a Superstore, has more stuff, but less "As Seen On TV" or maybe because the other store was in a little more upscale neighborhood...heck, I don't know. 

And Ennui, I'm starting to have to think about things like the stock slider, I'm not there yet, but the grabber is getting my attention, but that's probably because I'm so short...yeah, that's it! I have a couple of wooden backscratchers that I do use to fish the boxes out from under my bed. Because of the pup that was dumped on me earlier this year, I'm having to put everything in plastic boxes with latching lids, but they do have a nice lip all around the box which makes it easy to grab with the backscratcher.

• Love 3
(edited)

I have a grabber thing from Amazon. (It's not the ratcheting one ASOTV.) It was a godsend when I hurt my back. I bought a second one, because I was afraid the first one would break. It's the handiest gadget ever, especially for grabbing things that fall between the washer and dryer. The commercial on tv amuses me when they show someone removing cans from the top shelf; how did those cans get up there in the first place, and why? My grabber gadget is not strong enough to lift cans, that's for sure.

As for the Sock Slider, I doubt it's as simple as it looks on tv. I picture people with limited range ordering it, finding out it doesn't work that well, and even if they return it, they're still out S&H both ways. 

Edited by ennui
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/26/2017 at 2:21 PM, Silver Raven said:

Psh. Chocolate chips are the only way to go.

If you use Cocoa Pebbles instead of Rice Krispies, you don't need to buy chocolate chips, too. Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispies treats are fabulous as well. You're ALL welcome. ;)

Edited by riley702
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, riley702 said:

If you use Cocoa Pebbles instead of Rice Krispies, you don't need to buy chocolate chips, too. Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispies treats are fabulous as well. You're ALL welcome. ;)

I tried it with Cocoa Krispies once and it was too sweet to eat and didn't taste really chocolatey. Maybe Coca Pebbles are more chocolatey and less sweet?

13 hours ago, riley702 said:

6 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I tried it with Cocoa Krispies once and it was too sweet to eat and didn't taste really chocolatey. Maybe Coca Pebbles are more chocolatey and less sweet?

Even though they aren't chocolate I've made those "treats" with Cheerios before after seeing someone on TV do it years ago.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes, they are indeed. Cocoa Krispies... spits.

• Love 1

Just saw a new product and I must have it! It's not on Amazon yet, so this is my marker so I can look again in a few days. Or I may just have to order directly from the company. Butter Bullet! Battery powered, you put a stick of cold butter inside this cup thing and it warms the butter and you spray it on, on toast, on popcorn, on baked potatoes, on whatever! And you keep it in the fridge when it's not in use. In the winter I can leave butter out in a covered dish but these Oklahoma summers are too damn hot. I only use real butter and sometimes I just don't want to do whatever to soften it. I keep mine in an aluminum covered dish (from the 50s or 60s) and I sometimes set this on top of my stove where the pilot light is to warm it just enough. Problem with it, is that I don't always remember to take it out of the fridge ahead of time. I think it was the usual $19.99. I will be looking into it.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Just saw a new product and I must have it! It's not on Amazon yet, so this is my marker so I can look again in a few days. Or I may just have to order directly from the company. Butter Bullet! 

There was something like that on Shark Tank once: https://biemspray.com It's a lot more than 19.99 though.

I would love to leave butter out and I did live in a house with central air, don't now, but even with central air, it gets so unbelievably hot here, that I just don't feel comfortable leaving the butter out. I do not live with central air now, and the kitchen here is unbearable, then my nitwit sister decides to cook something in the oven! Her only defense is that she uses drugs and planning ahead for being hungry in 8-12 hours isn't possible, so using a crockpot isn't possible, thawing food in the fridge never occurs to her, so she puts a frozen chicken in the oven on a 100 degree day for an hour or more. And this is only a small part of the reasons I will not use that kitchen, why I store everything in plastic boxes with latching lids in my room. If I could bring a small fridge and a microwave, Foreman grill and slow cooker, in my room, I wouldn't have to go in that kitchen at all. But my main wish is to get out of here. 

And I just saw the Butter Bullet ad again, it is $29.99 plus shipping and handling and for a "small" fee they'll send a second one, an $80 value for only 29.99 plus shipping and handling. I do think I can wait until they're in Walmart or on Amazon. And maybe I'll be moved out of hell by then.

• Love 3

I grew up in the south on the coast in the US and am still here. Never thought to leave butter for long periods outside of the fridge. How long can it stay like that? I threw almost a whole tub away because the fridge door popped open during the middle of the night because the shelves were overfilled.

9 hours ago, riley702 said:

I put a pat of cold butter on a piece of bread and twist the hot ear of corn thru it. Melts the butter onto the corn and leaves you with a warm piece of buttered bread to eat.

Quick sidebar: I remember a movie in which when a family was sitting down to dinner, with corn on the cob, and the father buttered his corn that way. It was the only time I've seen that technique. It would probably be a couple of decades ago. Does anyone remember what the movie was?

31 minutes ago, Jaded said:

I grew up in the south on the coast in the US and am still here. Never thought to leave butter for long periods outside of the fridge. How long can it stay like that? I threw almost a whole tub away because the fridge door popped open during the middle of the night because the shelves were overfilled.

We buy (usually) Land O Lakes butter, or Braum's butter, we always have an extra pound in the fridge.  Our normal use for the butter on the table is when we have toast, which is usually 4 or 5 times a month.  One quarter pound stick lasts about a month, and it has never gone bad.  Maybe the aluminum butter dish has something to do with it?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Brattinella said:

We buy (usually) Land O Lakes butter, or Braum's butter, we always have an extra pound in the fridge.  Our normal use for the butter on the table is when we have toast, which is usually 4 or 5 times a month.  One quarter pound stick lasts about a month, and it has never gone bad.  Maybe the aluminum butter dish has something to do with it?

I keep my butter in a covered ceramic butter dish on the counter all the time, I bake a lot and it always seems to involve room temp. butter. But these last few weeks it's been too hot in Seattle (Seattle!) to keep it out.

• Love 1

My dad does the butter bread corn thing. He grew up on a farm in Kansas, so I figured that was where it came from

Discussion of butter and heat reminds me of a bit of dialog in The Thorn Birds, where someone complains that they can't have butter in the heat, so they use ghee. I have a jar of ghee, but have yet to try it...will have to give it a shot when I cook the corn I have in the fridge right now. 

Sympathies, Peaches...I have family north of Seattle and I know everyone's suffering. The house my parents lived in for 30 years never had AC, and I don't remember ever missing it in the summer. 

Edited by bad things are bad
  • Love 2

My dad does the butter bread corn thing. He grew up on a farm in Kansas, so I figured that was where it came from

My parents had friends that did this as well and she was from Kansas. In fact she was the great niece of the Dalton boys.

• Love 3