Type keyword(s) to search

As Seen On TV: Does ANY of this crap work?

• Start Topic

Plus, it does feel like it's helping my balance.

that might be enough for me, I'm having a lot of balance problems as I age. Since I am without car and grocery stores are a two mile round trip, laundromat is a three mile round trip, I've kept off the 20 lbs I lost in the last year. It wouldn't hurt me to take off another 20 lbs, though. Biggest problem is my feet, maybe I should invest in futzuki.

• Love 3
On 1/26/2017 at 5:10 PM, cynicat said:

RainX is great stuff.  My contractor told me to use it on my glass shower doors and they have been free of water stains ever since I started that little trick.

Good to know. I'd love to use it, but I'd have to actually clean them first. One day.......!

• Love 6
On 2/6/2017 at 1:32 AM, bmoore4026 said:

How many of you out there also have a Simply Fit Board and what are your experiences?

So, my husband comes home with, not one but two of these!  From Bed, Bath & Beyond and he didn't even take 2 of the dozens of 20% off coupons I have in a drawer!! But I digress--you asked about our experiences...

I used one for about 5 minutes and while I did feel my heart rate elevate somewhat, I grew bored very quickly.  Maybe I should check out the other exercises.  We use them on a carpeted area so no floor scratches or damage.

Another product I plan to purchase is a roll of Flex Tape.  The Flex Seal is one of the few products that we've had work as promised. 

• Love 3

I think this is my favorite commercial thread because as seen on tv products are either so easy to make fun of or so effing irritating!

Part one of my rant, the ads that are like mini informercials. Hate them! One I'm seeing a lot lately is for some product for bags under the eyes. I have to mute those women every time they start. 

Part two of my rant is for some sound enhancer. First there's the woman doing the skip/jump/dance, then there's the one with the hair doing the exaggerated exasperation! Finally there's all the people at the mall trying it out and wanting one. The final one of those, just irritates the snot out of me. "I Want ONE! I want it now!" I endlessly mock her like I do the woman on the id protections, "I was afraid" she whines. I mock her also and say, "You will be" in my best Yoda voice.

Came back because I forgot old Jimmy from Zypah! Snoring is a problem, but he should stop yelling about it, now! When I was married, I hated sleeping in the same room with my husband, or I guess I should say, not sleeping in the same room, because he snored. I didn't mind so much when he was in the other bedroom, because it was a sign that he was still alive. He died about a year after our divorce and what was hard for me was that if we hadn't divorced, he might have lived longer because I would have been aware that he was not snoring. He died alone and wasn't found for a few days. On the other hand, I would have probably beaten him with a cast iron skillet, not a red copper pan.

There is a product I might want to try, the Samurai 360, the round knife thing. But I noticed that included with the purchase of the blade is a cover/handle! Might be hard to use that thing without the cover/handle.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I think this is my favorite commercial thread because as seen on tv products are either so easy to make fun of or so effing irritating!

Part one of my rant, the ads that are like mini informercials. Hate them! One I'm seeing a lot lately is for some product for bags under the eyes. I have to mute those women every time they start. 

Part two of my rant is for some sound enhancer. First there's the woman doing the skip/jump/dance, then there's the one with the hair doing the exaggerated exasperation! Finally there's all the people at the mall trying it out and wanting one. The final one of those, just irritates the snot out of me. "I Want ONE! I want it now!" I endlessly mock her like I do the woman on the id protections, "I was afraid" she whines. I mock her also and say, "You will be" in my best Yoda voice.

I haven't seen either of these, but I need to share that there actually IS a product that works on that.  It is called Sudden Change, you only need a drop or so, and it lasts for hours.  I swear!

• Love 3

One of the things that drives me bonkers about these low budget crapfests is the SOUND editing IS so UNEVEN, they go FROM super LOUD to almost inaudible. 

• Love 2

Have you guys ever seen the YouTube channel for "Vivian Tries"? This lady tries out those ASOTV products and tells you if they work or not. And rates them with 1 to 5 "Vivian heads". She's pretty funny and profane and I've become a fan.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Qoass said:

The heater that plugs into the wall that I was wondering about a few months ago has landed at my local job lot for $14.99 with coupon.

Are you going to get one? If so you are braver than me, I think it's got "wall fire" written all over it.

• Love 3
On 2/21/2017 at 9:22 PM, Brattinella said:

I haven't seen either of these, but I need to share that there actually IS a product that works on that.  It is called Sudden Change, you only need a drop or so, and it lasts for hours.  I swear!

Can you wear it under make up? I've heard it has a tendency to flake.

11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Can you wear it under make up? I've heard it has a tendency to flake.

I think you can wear it under pressed powder.  When you use it, really only use 1 large drop.  Just pat it on, same with the pressed powder.    The little bottle is expensive as all get out, but it lasts practically forever in a drawer.  Oh, yeah, and just after you put the serum on, keep your face perfectly still for a minute or two, til it dries!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I think you can wear it under pressed powder.  When you use it, really only use 1 large drop.  Just pat it on, same with the pressed powder.    The little bottle is expensive as all get out, but it lasts practically forever in a drawer.  Oh, yeah, and just after you put the serum on, keep your face perfectly still for a minute or two, til it dries!

Cool!

• Love 2

We now have an answer to one of the most compelling "As Seen On TV" mysteries - the Snuggie is a blanket, not a robe!

At least according to the United States Court of International Trade.  The Snuggie is made in China and imported by the Allstar Marketing Group.  Under trade agreements,  the tariff on imported blankets is 8.5 percent, whereas the tariff on imported “pullover apparel” is 14.9 percent.  The US government had classified the Snuggie as apparel, at the higher tariff, and Allstar appealed to the trade court.  The judge sided with Snuggie, saying that the product was a blanket, not clothing, in part due to its lack of closures in the back.  And now we know!

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Moose135 said:

The judge sided with Snuggie, saying that the product was a blanket, not clothing, in part due to its lack of closures in the back.  And now we know!

So hospital robes are also not clothing?

• Love 6

I have a weird-ass testimonial for an oldie - remember Miracle Blade III? I used the "cuts everything!" blade yesterday to cut up... an old queen-sized memory foam mattress that was 1. too heavy for me to deal with, 2. friends and family were ignoring hints I needed help, and 3. when I tried to hire someone to haul it off, he flaked on me FOUR separate times. I finally just had enough and decided that sucker was going, and what could I use? It's the long blade that looks like a bread knife with a forked tip in the pic below. It was surprisingly easy to do, but I had to cut it into a half-dozen or more pieces and make endless trips to the dumpster. Seriously, I'm not strong or young and it cut through it very easily. Got it done in a few hours (with rests), vacuumed all the little pieces out of the carpet and celebrated with a long, relaxing soak. Come to think of it, those knives are ancient and I use them all the time. Except for that little square chopper, which was worthless. I replaced it with a ceramic-bladed chef's knife that fits right into its slot in the block. And I replaced the shears (because I would never use them) with an antique carving knife with an 8 inch blade I picked up somewhere.

04c89ea6-b189-489d-b8ad-62cc1be671c6_1.6f3e70e09675e68b569783e4ade77f52.jpeg

• Love 4

I once got rid of an old couch with a pry bar, a screwdriver and a box cutter!

Topic?  I used to work with the guy who voiced the Ginsu knives ads back in the day.  The legend goes that he took the lump sum payment instead a share of the sales proceeds and that's why he was still working instead of sitting on a big ol' bag o' cash.

• Love 3

I'm seriously thinking of ordering one of those round blade Samauri 360 knife things, I have a ceramic paring knife and it's good for many things, even cutting one's own thumb! But it doesn't do all I might want to do. I have limited mobility and limited space. If I bought whole watermelons, I love the idea of the watermelon slicer, but currently because of many reasons, I refuse to buy watermelons. Such a shame because I love watermelon.

Riley702, we sure can get creative when we have to! A couple of weeks ago I cut up a large vinyl swimming pool with a box knife and dragged the pieces around to the curb for pick up. I had asked for help and asked for help getting rid of that thing, I was tired of the dogs' tethers catching on it, I was tired of the dogs peeing on it, I was tired of looking at it. And since my sister will not call for large item pick up, I have picked up several pieces up and down the street. I am really tired of it now. Next week, I will get the water/trash bill caught up (this pisses me off no end) and I will call for large item pick up. Her house, but she cannot be relied on for a damn thing.

• Love 4
35 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I'm seriously thinking of ordering one of those round blade Samauri 360 knife things, I have a ceramic paring knife and it's good for many things, even cutting one's own thumb! But it doesn't do all I might want to do. I have limited mobility and limited space. If I bought whole watermelons, I love the idea of the watermelon slicer, but currently because of many reasons, I refuse to buy watermelons. Such a shame because I love watermelon.

Riley702, we sure can get creative when we have to! A couple of weeks ago I cut up a large vinyl swimming pool with a box knife and dragged the pieces around to the curb for pick up. I had asked for help and asked for help getting rid of that thing, I was tired of the dogs' tethers catching on it, I was tired of the dogs peeing on it, I was tired of looking at it. And since my sister will not call for large item pick up, I have picked up several pieces up and down the street. I am really tired of it now. Next week, I will get the water/trash bill caught up (this pisses me off no end) and I will call for large item pick up. Her house, but she cannot be relied on for a damn thing.

I'm semi-disabled in the hand/arm areas, and knives are often problematic.  But I got 2 Alaskan ulus at a garage sale (one's in my purse pocket for serial killer protection) - work like a charm for all my kitchen requirements, rather painlessly, I might add.  Of course, I haven't nicked my thumb yet - but I'm pretty sure I could shave my legs with that sharp little blade, if I could ever bother.  ;-)

• Love 7

After doing some research, think I'm going to hold off buying one of the round knives, apparently there's problems fitting the handles back on after cleaning, lots of cut fingers and palms. I'll wait til they figure a way around that.

But the flex tape stuff that stops leaks, the guy doing the ad is getting on my nerves. He cuts a boat in half, the widens it by taping in a new bottom with flex tape, ok, none of that particularly bothers me, don't think I'd want to get too far away from land in that, but it's that stupid yell while he's out on the boat, sort of like a cross between Jed Clampett's "wee doggies" and that stupid scream that cost Howard Dean the Democratic nomination for President a decade or so ago.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, friendperidot said:

...that stupid yell while he's out on the boat, sort of like a cross between Jed Clampett's "wee doggies" and that stupid scream that cost Howard Dean the Democratic nomination for President a decade or so ago.

No you did not invoke Jed Clampett AND Howard Dean?!  OMG, I am hollerin' over here.  I can picture Dean's goofy ass. Whoo!  I needed that laugh!!

• Love 4

not sure if this should go here or annoying or ads that make me scratch my head, it's a cheap ad, run mostly late at night on the cheap over the air channels, H&I and Escape are the two I usually have on. First, it's totally gross, shows people squeezing their blackheads, and while I may or may not be guilty of ever doing such a thing, I don't want to see anyone else doing that! I know some people are grossed out by people eating and chewing in commercials, that usually doesn't bother me, but squeezing pimples! Yuck, yuck, yuck! And I always seem to look at the screen just when they do that! 

But, if that isn't bad enough, the stuff is called "Black Off" and they use the tag line, "get your Black Off", just how disgusting and offensive do they need to be.

The only other thing in commercials that really disgust me is the shaving dead skin off of feet. And I'm never sure that they aren't calling it, "I'm OK." Then I wonder what shaving dead hair has to do with transactional analysis - I'm old, it was a 70s thing, "I'm Ok, You're Ok."

• Love 3

I have not had the pleasure of seeing the blackhead one, but the foot-shaving one makes me ill.  Especially the one with the "cup" that receives the dead skin in a convenient place.  EWW!

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

not sure if this should go here or annoying or ads that make me scratch my head, it's a cheap ad, run mostly late at night on the cheap over the air channels, H&I and Escape are the two I usually have on. First, it's totally gross, shows people squeezing their blackheads, and while I may or may not be guilty of ever doing such a thing, I don't want to see anyone else doing that! I know some people are grossed out by people eating and chewing in commercials, that usually doesn't bother me, but squeezing pimples! Yuck, yuck, yuck! And I always seem to look at the screen just when they do that! 

But, if that isn't bad enough, the stuff is called "Black Off" and they use the tag line, "get your Black Off", just how disgusting and offensive do they need to be.

The only other thing in commercials that really disgust me is the shaving dead skin off of feet. And I'm never sure that they aren't calling it, "I'm OK." Then I wonder what shaving dead hair has to do with transactional analysis - I'm old, it was a 70s thing, "I'm Ok, You're Ok."

It's Amope and yes it's disgusting as hell.

• Love 2
On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:03 AM, friendperidot said:

Geez, I saw that infomercial all the time when I was visiting Dad and step-Mom! To be honest, I didn't think the side they used the product on was that much better than the untreated side.

And no, I am not going to watch that video and excitedly count the minutes elapsing! Who does that shit?

• Love 3

I'm watching entirely too much late night tv on the cheap antenna channels. I'm starting to want products from their ads. I want the grabbit thing, I want the battery powered bathtub scrubber, I want the lint brush that you stick in the case and it cleans the dog hair off. I might even want the the device for putting on your socks, but fortunately, I'm still able to do that one without help.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I'm watching entirely too much late night tv on the cheap antenna channels. I'm starting to want products from their ads. I want the grabbit thing, I want the battery powered bathtub scrubber, I want the lint brush that you stick in the case and it cleans the dog hair off. I might even want the the device for putting on your socks, but fortunately, I'm still able to do that one without help.

The lint brush does not work. My grandmother keeps giving me the latest and greatest version because I have cats, and they're all useless. The sticky paper ones - one wipe and it's saturated, you could go through the whole roll and not make a dent in the fur. The silicon ones get gummy and useless when you wash them.

• Love 2

I've had a type of lint brush that does pretty good, it's like a very rough cloth, one side of it you brush one direction and the flip side you brush the opposite direction, it's just nasty trying to get all the hair out of it. I have 2 large dogs, one with long hair, the other, not so long, but it's summer and they both shed and I'm kind of tired of dog hair.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I want those copper pans and the stuff Cindy Crawford hawks. And the  blackhead mask. And the brownie pan with the separate compartment for each brownie so you always get corners.

• Love 4

OMG brownie edges are manna from heaven.

I want that battery operated scrubber too! And the copper pans.  There is an "As Seen on TV" store at the mall I could spend a fortune at.

• Love 4