Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
peacheslatour

As Seen On TV: Does ANY of this crap work?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't know about infomercials, but Adam & Eve runs several commercials.  Usually with a pretty good discount code.

There is also an Adam & Eve sex toy infomercial.  It is a half hour long.

4 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

There are sex toy infomercials?  What channels do you watch?  I'm still mildly shocked that Venus has a pubic hair shaver complete with live model illustration (OK she's wearing a bikini) and it's all spelled out and spoken out in the ad!  No "down there" or "bikini zone" or other euphemisms.

Early in the morning hours.  There is one on 4/14 Comedy Central 5:00am est.  According to my cable guide.

I saw a butt load of these infomercials over this past weekend on the Paramount Network.   And yes, some butt plugs too.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

The Bell & Howell "Bionic" Solar LED spotlight with motion detection (only $19.99)

It lights up when it senses motion and when the motion stops, it goes out after 30 seconds.  Then they show it pouring rain and the light is on.  First of all, does RAIN qualify as motion for the light to go on?  Second, if the solar-powered light is on all (rainy) day, noticing the motion of the rain, and there's no sun to recharge it, just how long will its power last?

My brother had motion detector lights at his house when he lived in Richmond. The deer would come up & eat the begonias until they got to the range of the motion detector and the lights went on to chase 'em away. They got very adept at knowing where that line was. So while it may chase wildlife away, they'll find a work-around. LOL.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

The Bell & Howell "Bionic" Solar LED spotlight with motion detection (only $19.99)

It lights up when it senses motion and when the motion stops, it goes out after 30 seconds.  Then they show it pouring rain and the light is on.  First of all, does RAIN qualify as motion for the light to go on?  Second, if the solar-powered light is on all (rainy) day, noticing the motion of the rain, and there's no sun to recharge it, just how long will its power last?

My brother had motion detector lights at his house when he lived in Richmond. The deer would come up & eat the begonias until they got to the range of the motion detector and the lights went on to chase 'em away. They got very adept at knowing where that line was. So while it may chase wildlife away, they'll find a work-around. LOL.

And what about wind? If the branches on the trees are waving wildly, do the lights go on and off continuously?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I can't speak for the Bell & Howell light but our Ring doorbell goes off when it rains, wind blows the trees, or when a squirrel crosses the porch.  I also had a wasp land on the camera and it looked like something from a monster movie.

Edited by Haleth
  • Laugh 13

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/28/2021 at 11:10 AM, peacheslatour said:

And what about wind? If the branches on the trees are waving wildly, do the lights go on and off continuously?

The wind itself doesn't do anything to my motions detectors.  It is the wind causing bushes and branches to move that causes the motion detector light to go on.  Yeah that is a problem.  Of course the occasional skunk that walks across the driveway also triggers the motion detector light to go on.

6 hours ago, Haleth said:

I can't speak for the Bell & Howell light but our Ring doorbell go off when it rains, wind blows the trees, or when a squirrel crosses the porch.  I also had a wasp land on the camera and it looked like something from a monster movie.

Rain doesn't affect my motion detectors at all.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Granted I was half a sleep, but during that sex toy infomercial, I could have sworn that I heard a sex therapist say that three quarters of the adult population owns a sex toy/marital aid.  I guess they took a poll (pole).  She didn't say if it vibrated or not.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Granted I was half a sleep, but during that sex toy infomercial, I could have sworn that I heard a sex therapist say that three quarters of the adult population owns a sex toy/marital aid.  I guess they took a poll (pole).  She didn't say if it vibrated or not.

They still call them marital aids? 

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

They still call them marital aids? 

I get the Vermont Country Store catalog. They call them "Neck Massagers."

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Useful 1
  • Laugh 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

They still call them marital aids? 

Sure, and porn videos are considered instructional videos.

Edited by icemiser69
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

They still call them marital aids? 

 

4 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Sure, and porn videos are considered instructional videos.

By folks who read Playboy "for the articles".

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Sure, and porn videos are considered instructional videos.

Sex Education for Adults:  Continuing Education Edition.

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Sex Education for Adults:  Continuing Education Edition.

And such bad information. No, all women do not like to be choked or have their hair pulled.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

And such bad information. No, all women do not like to be choked or have their hair pulled.

As to these sex toys infomercials some of y'all are so fond of 😛 ...

do they address the BDSM side of sexy times with "toys" too?  Asking for a friend.

Share this post


Link to post

I know this is kind of a big ticket item for As Seen On... but does anybody here have Leaf Guard? My DH is obsessed with having this done to our gutters and I'd really like him to never go on the roof again. It just seems too good to be true.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I know this is kind of a big ticket item for As Seen On... but does anybody here have Leaf Guard? My DH is obsessed with having this done to our gutters and I'd really like him to never go on the roof again. It just seems too good to be true.

I don't have Leaf Guard but a woman in my office does/did.  She hated it and recently  had it removed.

Here's a link to customer reviews:

https://leafguard.pissedconsumer.com/review.html?starRating=1

Edited by AnnA
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, AnnA said:

I don't have Leaf Guard but a woman in my office does/did.  She hated it and recently  had it removed.

Here's a link to customer reviews:

110 LeafGuard Reviews and Complaints - Rating 1/5 @ Pissed Consumer

Thank you! So what's the answer? I guess hiring someone to clean the gutters is the only way.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Thank you! So what's the answer? I guess hiring someone to clean the gutters is the only way.

That's what I do.  I hire a gutter cleaning service because they're insured.  I don't want to use the landscaper's guys or the handymen who advertise in the local paper because if they fall off the ladder or my roof, they're going to sue me.  An insured gutter cleaning service has their own insurance.

ETA:  I had trouble posting that link but you can find it by searching for leaf guard reviews.  The website is pissedconsumer.com

Edited by AnnA
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Thank you! So what's the answer? I guess hiring someone to clean the gutters is the only way.

Answered in small talk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Given all of the brain supplement commercials, I can't say that I am surprised that now there is an infomercial for something called NeuroQ.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Given all of the brain supplement commercials, I can't say that I am surprised that now there is an infomercial for something called NeuroQ.

I don't think they should be able to advertise any prescription medicine.  I don't mind commercials for Advil, Tylenol, Claritin, etc.  but meds that require a doctor's prescription should not be allowed.  

I don't know if NeuroQ requires a prescription or not but I think the many brain supplement ads are targeting aging boomers.  It's always all about money.

Edited by AnnA
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Just saw an ad for a thing called a "spurtle". Apparently this is an old kitchen utensil used in Scotland for hundreds of years but the name sounds like something a rotund basketball player would wear to keep his gut in.

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Just saw an ad for a thing called a "spurtle". Apparently this is an old kitchen utensil used in Scotland for hundreds of years but the name sounds like something a rotund basketball player would wear to keep his gut in.

The one with Lucinda Scala Quinn who used to work for Martha Stewart? My husband and I think that is the most ridiculous sounding name and have managed to twist it into something dirty so that we get the giggles every time we see the commercial. Shoot, I'm sitting here giggling just thinking about a spurtle. 

  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

The one with Lucinda Scala Quinn who used to work for Martha Stewart? My husband and I think that is the most ridiculous sounding name and have managed to twist it into something dirty so that we get the giggles every time we see the commercial. Shoot, I'm sitting here giggling just thinking about a spurtle. 

Aw c'mon, we all have our hair down. Do tell?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Aw c'mon, we all have our hair down. Do tell?

I think the part where she says it's the most used tool in the kitchen led us down a "that's what she said" path. Now the word just makes us laugh.

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I saw that commercial and ordered a set.    You have to be careful to get the ones advertised, if you're ordering from Amazon, it's the Mad Hungry edition, not the 4 million competing ones that are other types of wood.   The spurtles seem sturdy, and I hope they're half as useful as the commercial claims they are.    I giggle over the woman's name too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size