Type keyword(s) to search

As Seen On TV: Does ANY of this crap work?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

We use Wet And Forget on the outside of the house.  We live in a mobile home, and it cleans up our skirting, which gets green stuff on it from time to time.  Never thought to use it in a shower.

The shower formula is actually a different product. I’ve used the outdoor version as well but the results weren’t as dramatic (for me) as what I got in the shower. 

• Useful 2
On 6/27/2019 at 12:14 PM, peacheslatour said:

I think we've been over this before but it's been a couple years. Omaha steaks: Great deal or fat and gristle laden rip off?

Years ago I somehow came into possession of a box of Omaha steaks - I can't tell you how. My recollection is that they were okay but nothing special. I think I found it a hassle to thaw them. I'm fortunate to have fresh meat readily available (haha for those with dirty minds, that sounds like I'm in prison. I swear I'm not). For me, steaks that have been frozen suffer in texture and flavor.

I think if you are in a position where you can't easily get to a store or just love home delivery (yay home delivery!) Omaha steaks are probably a reasonable option. But I have no idea what their pricing is like. My guess is that they have a lot more competition now than they did back in the day.

• Love 1

I've ordered Omaha steaks quite a bit over the years.  They are hit or miss it seems.  I've had some delicious steaks, yet other times, they were the worst steaks I'd ever eaten.  They are pretty good to have on hand and you can get a good deal if you buy one of their bundles.

• Love 2

I had a box of them some years ago as well, and thought they were ok, but nothing to necessarily write home about. The prices, as I recall, were relatively decent, or maybe it's just one of those introductory deals I'm thinking of. In any case, I generally just buy a whole tenderloin when I find one on sale (which I can generally find one for about 8.99/lb a few times a year). Yes, the whole chunk of meat is going to run me a good $70, but I can trim it to get about 8-9 filet mignons (about 1 1/2" thick), which would run me at least  that alone at the grocery store, plus usually about three more meals of tenderloin tips, medallions, or sometimes even a small roast, plus enough trimmings for a good pot of beef stock, which I then take the cooked meat out of and shred all the usable bits to put in a pot of chili. Then I freeze everything in Food Saver bags (I do love my Food Saver). So ultimately I have 4 everyday meals, stock, and at least two "company" dinners (or 4 romantic dinners for two) out of it.

• Love 7

I remember getting Kansas City Steaks and Omaha Steaks confused with each other years ago when both used to advertise a lot. I've seen Kansas City Steaks on QVC at times but not general advertising like Omaha Steaks does. 

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 5:33 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Get something called Wet and Forget Shower.  I find it at the big box hardware stores.  It's like $20 for a big jug that lasts me at least 6 months.  You spray it on once a week after the last shower of the day.  Rinse it off the next morning.  No scrubbing AT ALL. 

Does it work on glass shower doors? We have 2 Airbnb's and the shower doors are a nightmare for me. 

1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

Does it work on glass shower doors? We have 2 Airbnb's and the shower doors are a nightmare for me. 

Yes!  At least for me.  But you have to give it a few weeks.  I used to have perma-scum on my glass shower doors but it's gone now.  (They should send me some free product!)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 7/2/2019 at 6:33 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, this isn't what you asked but I'm going to tell you anyway 🙂  Get something called Wet and Forget Shower.  I find it at the big box hardware stores.  It's like $20 for a big jug that lasts me at least 6 months.  You spray it on once a week after the last shower of the day.  Rinse it off the next morning.  No scrubbing AT ALL.  It took a few weeks but all of a sudden I realized that some of the grime that I thought was permanent had disappeared.

I've never actually seen it advertised though.  I saw someone mention it on another forum I follow, so I'm passing on the favor.

I too love in a mobile home, does it work on build up of grime? Without a pressure washer or a lot of scrubbing?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I too love in a mobile home, does it work on build up of grime? Without a pressure washer or a lot of scrubbing?

I'm the one who originally mentioned the stuff, and I was talking about the "Shower" version.  I don't know if there's anything special about mobile home showers, but mine's a 70's-80's era, one piece (vinyl, or fiberglass, maybe?) with glass doors, and it works great for me with no scrubbing.

I think @funky-rat was the one who mentioned the outdoor version for mobile homes.  I've used it on a wooden deck and a concrete driveway.  It made a little difference but not dramatic.  They weren't too bad to begin with, though.  You can see tons of reviews (& pictures) online.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I'm the one who originally mentioned the stuff, and I was talking about the "Shower" version.  I don't know if there's anything special about mobile home showers, but mine's a 70's-80's era, one piece (vinyl, or fiberglass, maybe?) with glass doors, and it works great for me with no scrubbing.

I think @funky-rat was the one who mentioned the outdoor version for mobile homes.  I've used it on a wooden deck and a concrete driveway.  It made a little difference but not dramatic.  They weren't too bad to begin with, though.  You can see tons of reviews (& pictures) online.

Ahh, sorry about that. I'd. like to blame my phone but I can't . Just me not paying attention!

• LOL 2
On 7/13/2019 at 10:33 PM, callie lee 29 said:

It's half and half.  If you don't have a lot of buildup, then it works pretty well.  Mix it, spray it, and hose it down a day or two later.  If it's been building up, or comes on fast (ours gets green quickly if it's been wet/humid out), it still helps loosen it up.  A hose might work, but you might need something a little stronger.  My dad's personal pressure washer had no issue getting it off - no need to call a "professional" to come in and do it with super high powered machinery.

All the Hempvanna products seem like a scam (sort of a later-day version of those miracle "copper" products). The Hempvanna pain cream's active ingredient is Trolamine Salicylate, the same stuff in Aspercreme and other products.  The hemp oil is just there to make you think it does something more.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

The hemp oil is just there to make you think it does something more.

Like 'Testofen' in Nugenix or 'konjac root' in Lipozene. 

At least in the old days, the quack medicines came with genuine alcohol, cocaine or laudanum!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:
2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

If it has alcohol and opium it's not a quack medicine! 🙂

No, it's a party!

as someone who lives with active addiction in 2 other people and have a past with several, I hate the word "party." It's a synonym for "getting high." I promise there is no Tupperware, Amway or even funny, slightly naughty marital aids being sold at any of those "parties."

• Love 1
On 6/27/2019 at 12:14 PM, peacheslatour said:

I think we've been over this before but it's been a couple years. Omaha steaks: Great deal or fat and gristle laden rip off?

I don't buy them but we've received them as gifts, and we're happy.  The meat is at least as good as what we buy locally, and their side dishes are excellent, especially the caramel apple dumpling things.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, AuntiePam said:

I don't buy them but we've received them as gifts, and we're happy.  The meat is at least as good as what we buy locally, and their side dishes are excellent, especially the caramel apple dumpling things.

It seems like such a good deal. I'd pay twice that much for the same meat at my local Kroger.

On 7/15/2019 at 9:21 AM, funky-rat said:

It's half and half.  If you don't have a lot of buildup, then it works pretty well.  Mix it, spray it, and hose it down a day or two later.  If it's been building up, or comes on fast (ours gets green quickly if it's been wet/humid out), it still helps loosen it up.  A hose might work, but you might need something a little stronger.  My dad's personal pressure washer had no issue getting it off - no need to call a "professional" to come in and do it with super high powered machinery.

Thanks. It's pretty humid where I'm at (central FL) so I might give it a try. I'll borrow my friends pressure washer as back up.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:16 PM, mmecorday said:

Oh, Lord. I remember the commercials for Nads, the most unfortunately named product of all time! With the exception of the Ayds diet plan, of course.

Wait till you see the "sheex" ads where the X in the logo makes out..a pair of "sheex" 😜

11 hours ago, Maximoose said:

Wait till you see the "sheex" ads where the X in the logo makes out..a pair of "sheex" 😜

I had to google this to see as I've not heard of them. Still not entirely sure what the X in the logo might represent, though. Maybe boobs, but since that's really not the point of the product it seems a bit of a stretch. I will say that the sheets actually look pretty good, though, and I might look into them! LOL 

Am I missing something?

3 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Still not entirely sure what the X in the logo might represent, though. Maybe boobs, but since that's really not the point of the product it seems a bit of a stretch.

Maybe not, in the context of products. Sheiks are condoms, so for them to pick a soundalike brand name for bedding may say something about where their minds were.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

apparently a lot of people's minds are in the same place, I have a 20 yr old great nephew and he makes every remark he hears about sex, I get so tired of it.

Just like kids with a shiny new toy. He'll get over it.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Maybe not, in the context of products. Sheiks are condoms, so for them to pick a soundalike brand name for bedding may say something about where their minds were.

Haha...my mind didn't even remotely go there! I guess it's been a very long time since I had to worry about condoms!

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I've said this before...He's got every right to be vain about that song, because it IS about him.

true, but there are so many! There are 2 living in this house and off the top of my head, I can think of a dozen others. And it's not a compliment.

Maybe it's old news, but I'm just seeing Dawn ads claiming it's a good laundry pre-soak.  It most certainly is.  It got rid of an old ketchup stain on a white tee shirt, and a new food/grease stain. 

Actually, I didn't even pre-soak.  Just squirted on some Dawn and tossed the stuff into the wash.

I'm thrilled.

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Maybe it's old news, but I'm just seeing Dawn ads claiming it's a good laundry pre-soak.  It most certainly is.  It got rid of an old ketchup stain on a white tee shirt, and a new food/grease stain. 

Actually, I didn't even pre-soak.  Just squirted on some Dawn and tossed the stuff into the wash.

I'm thrilled.

I just did this on Sun when I spilled 1/4 cup of olive oil on my white shorts.  Rubbed Dawn into the stain and tossed in the washer.  The oil came out.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

I'm thrilled.

It's all my mom used for stains from the time I was little on.  It works especially well on greasy/oily stains.  I put it right on the spot, and let it sit in the hamper until it's time to do wash.  Very gentle on fabrics and colors.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Has anyone tried the "Real Rx" app? Does it really give you a discount on prescriptions? Does the pharmacy have to take it? 

If you're talking about GoodRx, my understanding is you put in your prescription, and they send you prices at various pharmacies.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

If you're talking about GoodRx, my understanding is you put in your prescription, and they send you prices at various pharmacies.

Right. That's the one. I couldn't remember the name right.  🤦‍♀️. But does the pharmacy have to honor that price? 

2 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Right. That's the one. I couldn't remember the name right.  🤦‍♀️. But does the pharmacy have to honor that price? 

They are telling you what the prescription costs at the particular pharmacies, so yeah.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

They are telling you what the prescription costs at the particular pharmacies, so yeah.

But there's another commercial for a site where you can print out a coupon that ostensibly gives you a discounted price on prescriptions.

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

It does give the prices and with many drugs there's a ridiculous variation in prices.  Costco often has low prices.  Pharmacies like Walgreen's, Rite-Aid and CVS were much higher.  It's worth checking.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Tom Holmberg said:

It does give the prices and with many drugs there's a ridiculous variation in prices.  Costco often has low prices.  Pharmacies like Walgreen's, Rite-Aid and CVS were much higher.  It's worth checking.

I get my prescriptions by mail from CVS and they are way cheaper than my local Walgreens or Costco.

• Useful 1

I just used GoodRX a week ago and have transferred my prescriptions from Walgreen's to Publix Supermarket's Pharmacy. WAY cheaper!!  In fact, they dole out some drugs for FREE!  If my doc didn't insist on "extended release" Metformin, I could get my diabetes drugs free at Publix. Some antibiotics are free, too.  But I printed out a coupon from GoodRX and the Metformin was less than half the price I had been paying at Walgreen's. If it weren't for GoodRX, I wouldn't have known that, so, yeah, it works well.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I get my prescriptions by mail from CVS and they are way cheaper than my local Walgreens or Costco.

I think their mail service is cheaper than in-store.  I get mine through Walgreen's mail service (that's who the insurance company uses).  I can get three months at a time (the insurance won't do that with in-store) and they contact the doctor for renewals (which is a real convenience, the best reason to use them).

• Love 1
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

But there's another commercial for a site where you can print out a coupon that ostensibly gives you a discounted price on prescriptions.

You get a coupon with GoodRX too.  They put all of your meds on one sheet and all of the barcodes are there for the pharmacy to use.  We have everything with the local grocery store.  For must stuff they're cheaper, and we get gas points with refills.  CVS and Wal-Mart are tied for the highest price here.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I have seen those ads, I don't know if I'm going to try those, but I got some of the Mr. Clean sheets last month and I love them, they're just the right amount for most cleaning projects, I always threw away most of the sponge size things because they got yucky.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, friendperidot said:

I have seen those ads, I don't know if I'm going to try those, but I got some of the Mr. Clean sheets last month and I love them, they're just the right amount for most cleaning projects, I always threw away most of the sponge size things because they got yucky.

I love the sponge ones for cleaning the tub and louvered doors, do the sheets work just as well?

2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Watching an ad for something called Laundry Legs, a laundry basket that you push a button and you can raise or lower the basket. It's made with a mesh, so it's lightweight. If it were on wheels, it would be perfect.

Especially since I'm in a Best Western in Maine and the laundry room is across the parking lot. If I could just wheel it over there... (tomorrow's laundry day. I'm out of T-shirts & underwear.)

If you're ever in Bar Harbor, I highly recommend the Lulu Lobster Boat cruise.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3