Type keyword(s) to search

As Seen On TV: Does ANY of this crap work?

• Start Topic

We found someone good through Home Advisor, but they too hounded me endlessly for reviews.  They wouldn't let me type one in - I had to give it to some guy over the phone who mis-quoted me, and spelled stuff wrong.  Took me several calls to get it corrected.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

We found someone good through Home Advisor, but they too hounded me endlessly for reviews.  They wouldn't let me type one in - I had to give it to some guy over the phone who mis-quoted me, and spelled stuff wrong.  Took me several calls to get it corrected.

Same here.

5 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Has anyone tried Homeadvisor? 

I've used them a few times.  It was hit or miss, however I found the most amazing painter and he did a stellar job.  He's a keeper.

• Love 1

NBC Nightly News just did a report on HA - a couple in Charlotte, NC, after the contractor just up & abandoned the project, googled him & found out he's a convicted felon on probation. Apparently, Home Advisor doesn't screen their providers as closely as you'd hope.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

NBC Nightly News just did a report on HA - a couple in Charlotte, NC, after the contractor just up & abandoned the project, googled him & found out he's a convicted felon on probation. Apparently, Home Advisor doesn't screen their providers as closely as you'd hope.

I had seen that earlier on the local NBC station here in Charlotte. Their ads make it sound like they vet everyone in their system, but apparently it's not quite as complete as they lead you to believe.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:43 PM, Moose135 said:

I had seen that earlier on the local NBC station here in Charlotte. Their ads make it sound like they vet everyone in their system, but apparently it's not quite as complete as they lead you to believe.

I believe the rigorous vetting involves making sure that the contractor pays the fee to be listed.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

I think I'm going to have to call JG Wentworth and tell them I need cash now! 😁 At least they're back to using the opera people on the bus rather than that horrible "tryouts" or the boy band looking all sincere.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
16 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I think I'm going to have to call JG Wentworth and tell them I need cash now! 😁 At least they're back to using the opera people on the bus rather than that horrible "tryouts" or the boy band looking all sincere.

Ugh, those "try outs" one have me diving for the remote like nothing else except maybe the animal abuse ones.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, friendperidot said:

That commercial is a real ear worm for me. Hate it!

• Love 4

The book, Annuities Dos and Don'ts for Baby Boomers is available on their 800 number and it's free! But quantities are limited. Yeah, I'll bet those are flying off the racks.

And, I never realized what an ugly word "ranch" was until I started watching Murphy Brown reruns every night. I get to watch the woman who had a pre-ostomy injury and requires a bag, she lives on a ranch in Texas. I've started muting the sound as soon as her flat voice starts in.

The joys of watching old people channels!

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

oh yeah, that was why I started muting her, that stupid whooo hoooo! She's almost as irritating with that as the guy who cuts his boat in half and does that half Jed Clampett, half Howard Dean yell that just makes my spine quiver in embarrassment that a sound like that comes out of one person.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, friendperidot said:

oh yeah, that was why I started muting her, that stupid whooo hoooo! She's almost as irritating with that as the guy who cuts his boat in half and does that half Jed Clampett, half Howard Dean yell that just makes my spine quiver in embarrassment that a sound like that comes out of one person.

Yes but she has a Zebra! A fucking ZEBRA!

• Love 3

Every time I see the ads for the cookware, Granite Stone or Granite Rock, something Granite, but all I can think of is the Flintstones.

And, speaking of cookware, just where has Cathy Mitchell and her copper stuff been lately? I haven't seen her in months.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/28/2019 at 3:39 AM, friendperidot said:

And, speaking of cookware, just where has Cathy Mitchell and her copper stuff been lately? I haven't seen her in months.

Hopefully far away.  She's been annoying me since the late 80's/early 90's.  One of the first times I saw her was in an infomercial for some sandwich pocket maker (again, late 80's/early 90's).  She was bragging about how she had a recipe for a sandwich WITHOUT BREAD!! SO HEALTHY!!  DIET FRIENDLY!!  It was tuna mixed with mashed potatoes.  Not only does it sound vomit worthy, POTATOES ARE BREAD!!!!  My mom would yell that every time.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

well, I thought maybe the whoo hoo lady that lives on a ranch in Texas was gone from the Murphy Brown ad rotation, apparently she was only taking a couple of days off. But the books for Annuity Dos and Don'ts for Baby Boomers is still available, guess the limited quantities haven't flown off the shelves yet.

• LOL 3
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Well, now... here's a YouTube video that explains why she has to wear an ostomy bag.

Is that the right news story? It says that she was attacked, but in the video she refers to an accident.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Saw an ad today for the Cubii exercise machine.  Apparently exercise burns more calories than just sitting does.  Thank you, Capt. Obvious.

All I can think about with under desk exercise things is banging my knees on my desk

• Love 1
On 5/31/2019 at 8:43 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Well, now... here's a YouTube video that explains why she has to wear an ostomy bag. Yikes!  A former judge!  (And there's no "whooo hoooooo" in it!)

And here's how Julie came to be shot... https://www.cnn.com/2015/12/25/us/texas-judge-shot-released-hospital/index.html

No, Judge Julie Kocurek is not the woman in the infomercial. She's only 54 years old and lives in Austin. Here's a photo of her (with her son, who was with her when the attempted murder occurred).

image.thumb.png.ed550543bed8e2a4b102bcd5a24821ba.png

• Useful 1

Judge Julie from the Liberator commercials appears to be a trophy hunter and there are pictures of her posing with dead animals like lions and such on her various social media accounts like YouTube. She calls herself "Hon. Julie A Mogenis" on most of those accounts too. Apparently she's had at least one hunting related show called Huntin' With The Judge. 😶

(edited)
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

Judge Julie from the Liberator commercials appears to be a trophy hunter and there are pictures of her posing with dead animals like lions and such on her various social media accounts like YouTube. She calls herself "Hon. Julie A Mogenis" on most of those accounts too. Apparently she's had at least one hunting related show called Huntin' With The Judge. 😶

I was able to find a news article about how she was shot in 2004, but I couldn't access the whole thing because I'm not fixin' to buy a subscription to the Kerrville Daily Times🙄

But I could copy the lead... 

"The owner of a Kerr County hunting guide service sustained serious injuries Saturday while on a hunting trip on a ranch in Utopia in Uvalde County. Julie Mogenis, 47, was shot when a gun accidentally discharged and the round struck her in the pelvic region, according to the Uvalde County Sheriff’s Office."

Sounds kind of like Karma to me.

Also I have to say, the qualifications for being a municipal judge in Texas are decided county by county and are minimal. It's not like this gal was on the Supreme Court. (These courts have original and exclusive jurisdiction over violations of city ordinances and, within the city limits, have concurrent jurisdiction with justice of the peace courts over Class C misdemeanor criminal cases where the punishment upon conviction is by small fine only. When city ordinances relating to fire safety, zoning, public health, or sanitation are violated, fines of up to $2,000 may be charged, when authorized by the governing body of the city. Municipal judges may issue search or arrest warrants. These courts do not have jurisdiction in most civil cases but do have limited civil jurisdiction in cases which involve owners of dangerous dogs.) So yeah, she was a Judge, but promote herself as a meaningful member of the judiciary is misleading.

Sorry if I have veered off topic, But I'm a Texan and this woman is offensive to me.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

I was able to find a news article about how she was shot in 2004, but I couldn't access the whole thing because I'm not fixin' to buy a subscription to the Kerrville Daily Times🙄

But I could copy the lead... 

"The owner of a Kerr County hunting guide service sustained serious injuries Saturday while on a hunting trip on a ranch in Utopia in Uvalde County. Julie Mogenis, 47, was shot when a gun accidentally discharged and the round struck her in the pelvic region, according to the Uvalde County Sheriff’s Office."

Sounds kind of like Karma to me.

Also I have to say, the qualifications for being a municipal judge in Texas are decided county by county and are minimal. It's not like this gal was on the Supreme Court. (These courts have original and exclusive jurisdiction over violations of city ordinances and, within the city limits, have concurrent jurisdiction with justice of the peace courts over Class C misdemeanor criminal cases where the punishment upon conviction is by small fine only. When city ordinances relating to fire safety, zoning, public health, or sanitation are violated, fines of up to $2,000 may be charged, when authorized by the governing body of the city. Municipal judges may issue search or arrest warrants. These courts do not have jurisdiction in most civil cases but do have limited civil jurisdiction in cases which involve owners of dangerous dogs.) So yeah, she was a Judge, but promote herself as a meaningful member of the judiciary is misleading.

Sorry if I have veered off topic, But I'm a Texan and this woman is offensive to me.

I guess we should be glad she hasn't murdered her zebra yet.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Oh, Lord. I remember the commercials for Nads, the most unfortunately named product of all time! With the exception of the Ayds diet plan, of course.

I used to love reading those testimonials for Ayds in my mom's magazines. And the before and after pictures were fun.

What were Nads again?

• Love 1
On 6/10/2019 at 1:37 PM, mmecorday said:

Peaches, it was a hair removal product. I think the inventor named it after her daughter, Natalie, who was nicknamed Nads. Who would do such a thing?!?

And the inventor was from another country (Australia, I think) where "Nads" means something different.

I once worked with a British woman who married a man who went by "Randy".  She said it was always dicey introducing him to fellow Brits.

• LOL 4
57 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

And the inventor was from another country (Australia, I think) where "Nads" means something different.

I once worked with a British woman who married a man who went by "Randy".  She said it was always dicey introducing him to fellow Brits.

My SIL who lives in the  UK  is a Randi.

• Love 1

Anyone use go honey (I think it's called). It's a coupon searching service for online shopping. One of my family members told me it slows down one's computer. So...Not sure if what it's designed for really works.

• Useful 1

I've installed "honey" and it's yet to find me any valid coupons that work. It did find me a cheaper price on Amazon for a thing I needed, but it was only a buck - hardly worth the hassle of it "looking for coupons" all the time and not finding any. I'm gonna uninstall it.

(edited)

I signed up for Good RX and they do find prescription drugs for less money but they always seem to be at pharmacies half the state away. I'd spend on gas more than I'd make up in the price of meds.

I think we've been over this before but it's been a couple years. Omaha steaks: Great deal or fat and gristle laden rip off?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I signed up for Good RX and they do find prescription drugs for less money but they always seem to be at pharmacies half the state away. I'd spend on gas more than I'd make up in the price of meds.

I found the best way to work with them is to set up an account, enter all of your meds, then see who gives the best overall deal.  That's how we did it, and the difference between CVS and a few others was astronomical.  Same with Wal-Mart, who were 2nd highest.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I think we've been over this before but it's been a couple years. Omaha steaks: Great deal or fat and gristle laden rip off?

We got an Omaha package deal a few months ago.. everything was delicious!  No ripoff!  You get a lot for the money.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I found the best way to work with them is to set up an account, enter all of your meds, then see who gives the best overall deal.  That's how we did it, and the difference between CVS and a few others was astronomical.  Same with Wal-Mart, who were 2nd highest.

Was CVS the cheapest? That's where I get my meds online. So much easier that going to Walgreen's or Costco.

36 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Was CVS the cheapest? That's where I get my meds online. So much easier that going to Walgreen's or Costco.

No.  Most expensive by over $150.  Walmart was next at about $90 more expensive.  Giant (grocery store) was cheapest, but they closed the pharmacy at our local store to make way for grocery pickup, so we use another grocery store right up from our house.  There were only a few dollars difference, and that store gives out 100 gas points per prescription per month.

• Useful 1
15 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

No.  Most expensive by over $150.  Walmart was next at about $90 more expensive.  Giant (grocery store) was cheapest, but they closed the pharmacy at our local store to make way for grocery pickup, so we use another grocery store right up from our house.  There were only a few dollars difference, and that store gives out 100 gas points per prescription per month.

Wow. That'e so weird because my stuff is now one third the price it was when I was getting it a t the drugstore.

Just now, peacheslatour said:

Wow. That'e so weird because my stuff is now one third the price it was when I was getting it a t the drugstore.

Good RX had it chepaer than what CVS wanted in the store, but that was still around $150 more than Good RX had at other pharmacies in our area.

• Useful 1

I often browse some pharmacy discussion groups and many pharmacies, (especially independent ones) will usually just match the price that Good RX offers.  I don't completely understand the inner workings of Good RX but they somehow undercut the pharmacy in some way.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I often browse some pharmacy discussion groups and many pharmacies, (especially independent ones) will usually just match the price that Good RX offers.  I don't completely understand the inner workings of Good RX but they somehow undercut the pharmacy in some way.

They don't undercut the pharmacy per se.  The pharmacy enters it like a coupon you would use in the grocery store (stores get money back from manufacturers for coupons they turn in, otherwise there would be no motivation to accept them).  It's more tied-in to how well the pharmacy can negotiate prices with suppliers.  Even before I used it, prices for my meds varied widely from location to location, with the more expensive ones being more local/smaller pharmacies, who have less bargaining power.  You'd think CVS would be cheapest, but far from it.  Good RX will also allow you to input all of your meds, and they let you know who will give you the overall best price in your area, so you can choose where your money goes the farthest.

• Useful 1

OK,  so have any of you tried the Clorox Scrubtastic power scrubber? I'm getting old, so scrubbing the shower and tub is a challenge. I'm thinking that IF IT WORKS, the Scrubtastic would be a great help.....

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, Colleenna said:

OK,  so have any of you tried the Clorox Scrubtastic power scrubber? I'm getting old, so scrubbing the shower and tub is a challenge. I'm thinking that IF IT WORKS, the Scrubtastic would be a great help.....

Okay, this isn't what you asked but I'm going to tell you anyway 🙂  Get something called Wet and Forget Shower.  I find it at the big box hardware stores.  It's like $20 for a big jug that lasts me at least 6 months.  You spray it on once a week after the last shower of the day.  Rinse it off the next morning.  No scrubbing AT ALL.  It took a few weeks but all of a sudden I realized that some of the grime that I thought was permanent had disappeared.

I've never actually seen it advertised though.  I saw someone mention it on another forum I follow, so I'm passing on the favor.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
15 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay, this isn't what you asked but I'm going to tell you anyway 🙂  Get something called Wet and Forget Shower.  I find it at the big box hardware stores.  It's like $20 for a big jug that lasts me at least 6 months.  You spray it on once a week after the last shower of the day.  Rinse it off the next morning.  No scrubbing AT ALL.  It took a few weeks but all of a sudden I realized that some of the grime that I thought was permanent had disappeared.

I've never actually seen it advertised though.  I saw someone mention it on another forum I follow, so I'm passing on the favor.

We use Wet And Forget on the outside of the house.  We live in a mobile home, and it cleans up our skirting, which gets green stuff on it from time to time.  Never thought to use it in a shower.

• Useful 2