Type keyword(s) to search

As Seen On TV: Does ANY of this crap work?

• Start Topic

O.k., I''l admit to purchasing some As Seen On TV crap. The Smokeless ashtray that stunk worse than any cigarette. The cat scratcher thing that was made of corrugated emery board (the cats liked the feather on a sick that came with it) that the cats wouldn't go near. The Aluma Wallet that broke a week after I bought it. My question is; has anybody purchased anything that was As Seen On TV that actually worked?

• Love 1

You know those brown dishes that look like ceramic skillets? The one that you put food in and stick in the microwave? I bought those, used a couple of times and then stuck them in the cabinet. The trick is finding recipes that actually work for your personal taste. Like I've done the mug cakes in them but it was the recipes and not the dishes. Thanks for reminding me. Need to get them out because yesterday I make a mug muffin that was really good for a change.

• Love 3

You'll have to pry my Veggetti from my cold dead hands...and lay off my BaconWave too!  I'll let you know about the Doodeen Vegetable and Fruit Salad Nicer Dicer after it arrives this weekend.  Full disclosure:  The last item was ordered thru Amazon b/c it has more attachments than the ASOTV 1 Second Slicer, but they're otherwise identical.  Can't help it - I LOVE ASOTV!  There are a bunch of things I'm aching to try, but I'm pretty selective in ordering and have been lucky to make some good choices.

Side story:  A dear friend once ordered 5 newspaper-fueled grills for himself and his family during a late-night TV binge.   He excitedly rolled his newspapers, set them in place, lit them and proceeded to grill, only to have his burgers taste exactly as you'd expect newspaper ink to taste.  They were ultimately re-sold at his yard sale for $.50 cents each, and the buyers still overpaid!

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, stillhere1900 said:

Now a lot of stores have "As Seen On TV" sections. Don't waste money on  S & H cost.

"BUT WAIT...THERE'S MORE!"  They'll DOUBLE your order (Just pay S&H) if you order from TV.  Yeah, I know, I know - LOL.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm curious about those super lightweight hoses that *never kink*.

While I've never ordered those hoses myself, I understand there's a wide range of quality involved with them and this is a case of "You get what you pay for".  IOW, you're better off buying these from a hardware supplier rather than from TV.  Apparently the cheaper ones don't necessarily shrink back as they should and the connectors leave a lot to be desired.

When considering making one of these TV purchases, I usually Google the item and read the reviews from a consumer-type site, rather than the reviews from ASOTV itself, because they seem less biased.   Some of them are actually pretty funny and entertaining, but there's often a lot of useful info upon which to make a decision.

"Caveat emptor."

• Love 5
3 hours ago, stillhere1900 said:

Now a lot of stores have "As Seen On TV" sections. Don't waste money on  S & H cost.

I can do better -- there's an entire "As Seen on TV" store in my town.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I'm curious about those super lightweight hoses that *never kink*. Also how about those solar powered lights you can just stick up anywhere.

I bought one.  Love it!  I went back and got a second one for the back of the house.  

• Love 3

I bought a Veggetti a couple of years ago as an impulse purchase.  To this day, it's just sitting in my cabinet.  That said, I liked it a lot, for the whole two times I used it.  I do think that an actual spiralizer would be better since most of them have hand cranks, but for a good budgetary buy, the Veggetti was fine.  The small size also means you don't have to worry about storing it.

Also have the infamous Ped-Egg.  That one works great.

I'm curious about the Slice-Right slicer, the one that makes perfect slices of watermelon and cantaloupe.  No intentions of getting one, but I am still curious.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh, they kink all right. Just ask my husband. I also follow Boston Rob on Twitter because I like to see his daughters growing up, and he had a whole series of Tweets about how he tried to take his hose back to the ASOTV store after one use. I think they finally gave him a refund, but they tried to talk him into an exchange first.

@cynicat must have been lucky?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I bought one and while it did, in fact, not kink and coiled back up as planned, it also sprang a leak about 3 months in. They didn't mention anything about that in the features though. Heh.

• Love 2

That Revitive foot massager looks like it would be great if it works like the commercial shows. But I'm not taking the chance.  I did buy a "Stove Top Grill" that I eventually gave to a friend. It was just too much hassle to clean & the food wasn't all that great. But then, I AM a lousy cook, so what do I know?  It was probably me, not the grill.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Babalu said:

Oh, they kink all right. Just ask my husband. I also follow Boston Rob on Twitter because I like to see his daughters growing up, and he had a whole series of Tweets about how he tried to take his hose back to the ASOTV store after one use. I think they finally gave him a refund, but they tried to talk him into an exchange first.

Ha, I could have written this. I follow Boston Rob for the same reason; I adore seeing his girls in their various matching holiday outfits, and I also remember the hose thing, so much so that when I saw one of those hoses at the drugstore for $10, I was tempted but then remembered how Rob's sprung a leak immediately.

I bought a Lint Lizard, the flexible hose you attach to your vacuum cleaner to clean out the lint from your clothes dryer, mainly because Consumer Reports tested it and said it really worked. I tried it and it vacuumed out a few stray pieces of lint, but that was it. So I assumed the thing didn't work, but when I used a dryer brush and then took the vent off the back of the dryer, I didn't find any lint either, so I think it's more that the way my dryer is vented prevents lint from accumulating. In any case, the Lint Lizard has gotten good reviews, but I thought it was a little hard to use and the part that connected to my vacuum cleaner was a little too big so the thing kept falling off while I was using it.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 2
On 8/15/2016 at 1:15 PM, Tunia said:

"BUT WAIT...THERE'S MORE!"  They'll DOUBLE your order (Just pay S&H) if you order from TV.  Yeah, I know, I know - LOL.

It's true, though; if you buy singles in the store, they are more expensive. 

I bought one of those shrinking hoses a few years ago, when they first came out. It's okay. The connectors aren't the best.

There's a new commercial for a pet grooming mitt with little rubber teeth. That's not a new idea, I had one like it about 25 years ago. 

Avoid any ASOTV pet product that has any kind of motor, like that nail trimming device. You can't file your pet's nails if you can't catch it.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 6

My Mom bought one of those shrinking hoses and then complained it didn't shrink back up. Did you leave the sprayer on so the water could get out, I asked. Umm, no. LOL She is 80 and she tries to keep up with the newest things, so I'll give her a pass. She's pretty good about not repeating her mistakes.

I had a Ped-Egg and liked it, but flove those spinney things that are like sandpaper for your feet. I spend 12 hr shifts on my feet, and the older I get, the more the calluses build up. Come home, take a shower and run those things over my feet on top of the dirty towel. I'm good.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, MichaelaRae said:

I bought one and while it did, in fact, not kink and coiled back up as planned, it also sprang a leak about 3 months in. They didn't mention anything about that in the features though. Heh.

My handy dandy husband was able to repair two 75' pocket hoses. I got about 2 years out of them before they failed at the connector ends. All fairness, I stretched those suckers pretty harshly to reach the vegie garden. Sooo much easier than the heavy rubber hose. He used something called "silicone rescue tape". The hardest part was removing the metal ring that holds the hose onto the (plastic) fitting. Carefully using a dremel tool works, then you need to wrap that special tape and let it cure a day or so. The tape was pretty cheap on Ebay for a small roll.  Somewhat of a hassle and/or adventure depending on your viewpoint, but worth it to us. Also, it is very important not to leave the hose out in the sunlight, the UV kills them quick. We use an empty kitty litter bucket and 150' fits .

• Love 3

There's actually a youtube channel where this woman tests products that are sold on TV to see if they really work. Her username is grav3yardgirl, but in her videos she goes by Bunny. Search for 'Does this thing really work', she seems knowledgeable if a little hyper.

• Love 5
On 8/16/2016 at 3:29 PM, ennui said:

It's true, though; if you buy singles in the store, they are more expensive. 

I bought one of those shrinking hoses a few years ago, when they first came out. It's okay. The connectors aren't the best.

There's a new commercial for a pet grooming mitt with little rubber teeth. That's not a new idea, I had one like it about 25 years ago. 

Avoid any ASOTV pet product that has any kind of motor, like that nail trimming device. You can't file your pet's nails if you can't catch it.

I bought a thing that trims your pets nail. You were supposed to stick their claw in this contraption and there was a motor that made the emery sander work. It was loud as hell and scared my cats to death. I took it back to Walgreens (they have one of those ASOTV aisles) they took it back and refunded my money.

• Love 3
On 8/15/2016 at 9:42 PM, MichaelaRae said:

I got one free when I was in Amazon Vine -- same experience -- it didn't coil back up.  And the water pressure was low, even though the faucet was full on.  I liked the light weight, but I would have needed two or three to reach everywhere that needs water, so the light weight wouldn't have been light for very long. 

My husband always wants to try that crap.  "It's only ten bucks!" he'll say.  He really wanted to try that grass seed that sprays from a garden hose, but the reviews were terrible.  The State used it (or something similar) when they did some road work a couple years ago and had to dig up a lot of property.  It's grassy there now, but I suspect what they used was industrial strength.

• Love 2

Well there certainly is a wide range of results for the hose. I think I'll stick to my old rubber one. There's a newer one for one of those non-stick copper pans. "Are you tired of scrubbing pans ALL DAY?" Yeah, right. That's like the one where the woman spends "all day" peeling eggs. Jeez.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

"Are you tired of scrubbing pans ALL DAY?" Yeah, right. That's like the one where the woman spends "all day" peeling eggs. Jeez.

Only if you're doing it in black and white.

• Love 8

Urine Gone - the pet stain remover - is fantastic.  I don't bother with the kit with the black light but my boss used it to find where in the basement the cats were peeing.  (Answer: all over) It's great on any surface, removes all bodily fluids (animal and people), doesn't leave an odor.  I had a foster cat who had a rough few months and it saved my carpets, cat carriers, bedding, bath mat, sofa, clothing, etc etc.  I get it from either Bed Bath & Beyond (with the coupons) or Walgreen's online. 

Bacon cup - I have the black plastic mold that lets you wrap bacon around it, then you microwave and you make a bacon basket for your eggs.  It's cute.

bacon-cup-basket.jpg

• Love 5
On 8/15/2016 at 2:14 PM, peacheslatour said:

The Smokeless ashtray that stunk worse than any cigarette.

God, I KNOW!

On 8/16/2016 at 5:29 PM, ennui said:

LMAO!  My cats would run like hell!

• Love 2

I occasionally buy off TV...has been a long time but I see all kinds of stuff I want to try.  Seriously thinking about the COUCH COAT.  Anybody tried it?

I bought the SPIN CONTAINERS (can't remember what they were called it's been so long ago) but it's 3 different size containers with interchangeable blue lids) in a Lazy Susan style rack.  Use them every day!  Even found a few extra pieces at the Goodwill one day. 

Forgot to mention....hubby ordered the DOG WASH (looks like a huge bubble wand).  Sounded good at the time but he looked at it yesterday and said "I don't think this will work."  Our 50# dog hates water/bath.  She won't even go out in the rain. I don't think the two of us could hold her to use it.

Anybody interested?....;-)

Edited by OhioSongbird
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Maverick said:

Has anyone tried MyPillow?  

4 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

I haven't but a few of my friends have and say it's worth it.  They love their pillows.  

Me, too.

3 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I just read a complaint website re: MyPillow.  452 reviews, 2 stars!  Tons of complaints.  Don't do it, please!

The Better Business Bureau rates My Pillow A+: http://www.bbb.org/minnesota/business-reviews/pillows/my-pillow-inc-in-chaska-mn-96152336

http://www.consumerreports.org/mattresses/should-my-pillow-become-your-pillow/

The 60-day money-back guarantee means that you can return My Pillow; you’ll have to pay for shipping and handling on both the original purchase and the return. Exchanges are free, however, including shipping.

I've been thinking of buying one with a coupon at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

I don't know.  I'd trust people I actually know over strangers that go to a site called "pissed consumer".  Reviews are a sketchy thing, there is a selection bias in who fills these things out.  I usually read a few, but when I know people that have and use a product, I trust them.

• Love 9

I am not trying to get you to change your mind, I'm really not.  I don't even own one.  But they are not $200 for 2 pillows.  They are $100 for two pillows. Still high, but not as high.  You also have to know which firmness you should get and to do that you have to go to the my pillow website.  I suspect many online orderers do not do that.  I was evaluated for Green.  When I started looking elsewhere online for them, many didn't even give me the option of white, yellow or green firmness.  The Amazon reviews are more mixed.  The people that knew which firmness were happiest.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

What is supposed to be special about them?

According to the ads, MyPillow is kind of like those mattresses where you dial up your special 'sleep number' so that you can have a more comfortable, restful sleep. Here is an ad:

I don't have one, and if fifty dollars is considered a bargain I'm unlikely to buy one. I checked Bunny's youtube channel to see if she's reviewed it, because as wired as she is she's a good source of information, but she has yet to give it a thumbs up or down.

• Love 1

As mentioned the MyPillow is $49.99 at Bed, Bath and Beyond, so with 20% off, it's $40. BB&B used to carry a brand of pillow we both liked - he likes extra firm, and I like firm. Last fall when he was taking all the bedding off our sailboat for the winter, he dropped my pillow in the water. He recovered it and put it in the trash. I went to BB&B to replace it only to find they didn't carry the brand anymore, so I found something else. Last month my husband said he wanted a new pillow for home, and asked me to buy him one. I told him he needed to pick out what he wanted. He looked at MyPillow and decided he didn't want it. He did buy a pillow that cost about $75 before coupon discount. He loves it so the price was worth it for him.

• Love 1

I saw My Pillows at Costco on my last visit. Different sizes, etc.

I never knew pillows were so subjective. Over the years, we've seen buckwheat pillows, foam pillows, feather pillows, My Pillows, contour pillows ... every season brings a new trend.

• Love 2
On 8/28/2016 at 9:17 AM, OhioSongbird said:

I occasionally buy off TV...has been a long time but I see all kinds of stuff I want to try.  Seriously thinking about the COUCH COAT.  Anybody tried it?

My mom got Couch Coat in The Christmas Tree Store. Said it was lame, fit poorly, didn't stay, and was hard to clean.

• Love 1
On 9/1/2016 at 9:49 PM, Brattinella said:

Well, I used the search term "mypillow reviews" and that was the first link on the list.

I still wouldn't buy one. Plus they are 200 bucks for two pillows.

I do this exact same thing for every product ASOTV I watch.  I type the name of the product, then "reviews."  I, personally, do trust pissedconsumer.com, but I also read other review websites.  I, too, was thinking about getting one of those pillows, but no way after reading far too many complaints.  And they actually don't look very comfy -- they look lumpy to me! 

• Love 1

I guess I should look it up on reviews, but I'm kind of wanting one of those red copper pans. I want to melt plastic cups in my pan then cook eggs. Actually, I never cook eggs, hate eggs. But I use old Corning Ware, so I can go from fridge to oven to freezer to stove top. And put the pans on the table = or just eat out of them which is more likely with my lifestyle.

• Love 4

friendperidot

I guess I should look it up on reviews, but I'm kind of wanting one of those red copper pans. I want to melt plastic cups in my pan then cook eggs. Actually, I never cook eggs, hate eggs. But I use old Corning Ware, so I can go from fridge to oven to freezer to stove top. And put the pans on the table = or just eat out of them which is more likely with my lifestyle.

I have the red copper skillet and I like it. I just cook food in it, though. :D It's very similar to the Orgreenic skillets, which I also have and like.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 2