Type keyword(s) to search

Say Goodnight To The Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore

Wow....you read comments from those forums/subforums at Reddit?  I'm surprised you still have your sanity intact.  :)

No, Franchesca, I thought you all did a fine job over there.  There will always be nights of hits and misses.  But I think you all had your hits far outnumber your misses.  Enough to where your show was always a must see for me.  I knew I could watch it and not only get a few laughs at the end of the day -- but often learn something too.  There should always be a place for that on television.

I wish you and your friends/coworkers all the best.  And thanks for reading and posting your comments on the forum!

• Love 3

Downside of the sudden cancellation: Triumph the Insult Comic Dog had to be canceled. Bright side: Lewis Black! I bet Larry feels good because if Lewis had the post-TDS slot, he would've been tranquilized inside six months. The guy played Anger in Inside Out for a reason.

Any word as to what was up with Ricky Velez's hand? I hope it doesn't affect his new gig next week, where he parks cars. #ikidbecauseilove

For some reason, I would expect Jon Stewart to send a pony keg for tonight's finale.

• Love 1

Love that on Larry's Instagram page we see the little competition Larry's former Daily Show colleagues had with Goodbye gifts.

Sam Bee and her staff sent a case of wine. Colbert retaliated with a ton of little airline bottles of booze. The Daily Show, possibly not totally getting the theme, sent Pastries and Cookies.  John Oliver sent Champagne and the message "Get Premium Cable Wasted". 

• Love 2
On ‎17‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 2:49 AM, chescaleigh said:

Hey Previously forum, Franchesca here. I just wanted to say thanks for watching and leaving thoughtful commentary and constructive criticism every night. From day one I've read the forums here and on reddit (even though they hate TNS and especially hate me) to get an honest idea of how people viewed the show and my performances and I've always appreciated how balanced the feedback was here versus everywhere else on the internet. I know the show and by extension, I am not perfect, but it's been really frustrating to read so many untrue and completely unfair things about myself and the show's cancellation online. And by online I mean reddit, seriously don't go over there lol I always tried to share points I read here with the cast and crew in an effort to make the show better, so please know your voices didn't go unheard. 

Anyway, no need to respond I swear I'm not fishing, it's just nice to know some corner of the web will miss us. Take care. 

I love you Franchesca! Would you consider marrying a 51 year old white Canadian?

• Love 3

Sorry to see this go.  I didn't watch every night, but sure enjoyed it when I did.  I happened to catch The Daily Show a few weeks ago, first time since Jon Stewart left, and I realized I hadn't been missing much, so I guess I'm done with Comedy Central too.

43 minutes ago, Victor the Crab said:

I love you Franchesca! Would you consider marrying a 51 year old white Canadian?

Depends on who wins Nov. 8.

I never realized how attractive she is - quite stunning.

On 8/15/2016 at 4:33 PM, lordonia said:

I tried to like this show 5-6 times, putting it on and off my season pass. In the end I could never get past Larry's awkward delivery and the constant chuckling at himself.

I stayed a bit longer I suspect.  But I'm one of the few that liked Trevor out the gate and love the changes made at TDS and love his approach to things.  And for me it was the realization of how in some ways Trevor and Larry both laugh at their own jokes and Trevor doesn't bother me and Larry had me grinding my teeth down to a fine point every night.  Plus I just felt disappointed in the show night after night.  Larry half the time seemed like he could not care less about certain points and made no bones about letting it show.  Mike Card could be funny but I hated the sketches.  The two other guys? Rory and Ricky?  The first cast of such a show that I wanted to see get punched in the face.   I thought they detracted from the panels and too often good discussions were sidetracked to let them prove how funny and sharp they were.  I'm still waiting on that.

Sad though because I loved Larry on TDS and I just don't like to see any show that gives a different audience a voice and an ear that is not given anywhere else.  And the show did attract some guests that I wouldn't have heard speak on on certain issues as they did.  In hindsight I wonder if Larry was too quick to try and distance the show from TDS and TCR and go with the roundtable approach.  Larry did do well with one on one bits and I found many times the discussion simply got lost in the babble.   Good discussions. 

When W. Kamau Bell's show on FXX got cancelled I was worried he would disappear.  Hopefully this is just a bump for Larry and the staff because while it wasn't my cup of tea, I think there are some really interesting and intelligent voices there that need to be heard in times like these.  Maybe he could go do a weekly show after Sam Bee's?   A show that let Larry delve a bit deeper into  a particular matter might be more to his strengths? 

As much as I came to dislike this show, I will make a point to check out whatever Larry does next and truly hope it is not a long wait.

This is how screwed up Comedy Central is: The Nightly Show web page still has a Tickets option, and you can still "buy" tickets for any one of fifteen tapings in the month of September.  Now, they are all general admission, and they are all free, but considering that The Daily Show's Tickets page has nothing scheduled, you gotta wonder....

• Love 1

For those who don't watch HBO . .  Larry's picture was in the tail end of the opening credits for Last Week Tonight. I think Larry will end up there with John Oliver for election night or the aftermath.

• Love 1

I don't think Larry will be out of work for very long.  If not with Ollie, he'll be back working somewhere in short order.  I still will miss "The Nightly Show" tho.  :(

Am hoping his contributors will also find jobs soon.  I pretty much enjoyed all of them.  Even Ricky (while not his stints on the panels, I did like a lot of his sketches). 

Of the correspondents, I probably will miss Rory and Holly the most.  Mike Yard had his moments as well (though like Ricky, I could do without some of his panel appearances). 

Definitely wish them all the very best in their future careers.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, jbrecken said:

This country needs Larry now more than ever.

He really did shine in these sorts of situations. More than ever I wish this show was still on the air. It would be nice to at least have the consolation of watching the panel remind Mike Yard that he didn't see much difference when the Screwing Over Everyone Except Rich White Men And Trashing Obama's Legacy Unfilibusterable Budget Act of 2017 is passed.

• Love 2