Type keyword(s) to search

Nadiya: She'll Be Insufferable Now

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Did she start having children at, like, 3 or something?  I would never have believed she was old enough to have children that old. 

I think Nadiya married at age 19 and she's 32 this year. Both Nadiya and her husband do look young though.

I think "She'll Be Insufferable Now" is winning this thread title.

18 minutes ago, Athena said:

I think Nadiya married at age 19 and she's 32 this year. Both Nadiya and her husband do look young though.

I think "She'll Be Insufferable Now" is winning this thread title.

32?  Wow, she looks so much younger than that.  And she's got amazing skin.  And can bake like a dream.  I think I hate her, lol.

• Love 3

The Desert Island Discs show is quite interesting. I didn't know that her marriage was arranged (they did have phone conversations before meeting, and Nadiya said that if they hadn't hit it off in those conversations, her father would have let her call it off.)

Also interesting is how assertive and how much of a gunner Nadiya was growing up (in a good way.) She admits she was a good and competitive student, and when she learned at 19 that her family's landlord was considering selling the house they lived in, she arranged to buy it herself for the family.  A lot of people view religious women of all faiths to be retiring or non-assertive, but Nadiya puts the lie to that stereotype.  

Also sounds like her parents were avid cooks too.

• Love 5

Not sure what the acceptable spoiler policy is for previous seasons, but as someone watching this show for the first time this thread title spoiled the season for me around episode 2. Maybe a mod could change it? I'm also not sure why we're calling her insufferable.  I get this title now - I missed Tamal's remark at the end of the finale. It still is a big spoiler though!

I never really grew to like Nadiya like I did many of the other contestants (even Ian, who most on this forum seemed to dislike). But she seemed to be the only contestant who consistently improved week over week. The only judgment for her that I felt unfair was earning star baker in week 9, but there wasn't another contestant who clearly won it either. I did appreciate her sort of snarky attitude at times; and her husband said in the last episode that she's always sort of devoted herself to her family and this is the first thing she's really struck out and done for herself, so I'm happy for her for that.

Edited by ae2
  • Love 1

Personally, I don't find the title inherently spoilery. Someone could've called her insufferable for winning star baker multiple times in a row, or getting a handshake from Paul, or who knows what else. I mean, to each his own, and I get how it could make you suspicious (and maybe it should be within the S2 subforum?) but it's not necessarily a dead giveaway. I mean, to an extent the existence of a topic about her, when the only other human-topics I see are judges or hosts, is probably more of a hint than the title. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I'm pretty sure that once a show has aired in the US, there is no spoiler policy and you read these forums at your own risk.

Yes, I am sure that's right. I knew she had won well before the start of the PBS airing -- her winning was all over the news. That a Muslim woman, just as British as any of them, was the best baker in Britain! Which seems a little overly optimistic and quaint now, post-Brexit.

I'm trying to watch prior seasons now, and it's really really hard to do any research without stumbling on info about finalists and winners. They're not legit spoilers so that doesn't upset me but it's amazing how hard it is to avoid! Knowing the outcome didn't damper my love of this season. I just had to be really careful around my friends.

Edited by snarktini
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, doodlebug said:

I'm pretty sure that once a show has aired in the US, there is no spoiler policy and you read these forums at your own risk.

Nadiya's season has aired twice in the US if I'm not mistaken. And it's been a year for crying out loud.And it's been all over the news.

Also? Soylent Green is people! OOPs spoiler.

• Love 1

Nadiya was on BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs last week. 

I have a feeling this may be geo-blocked and time-limited, so there's a summary here if you're unable to access it.

Desert Island Discs is also available as a podcast so you can listen/download the episode that way also.

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 7:33 PM, zibnchy said:

Nadiya's season has aired twice in the US if I'm not mistaken.

You are mistaken. Nadiya's season (know as Season 3 in the US) started airing on July 1st with the finale on August 19th. With a whole lot of variations at the discretion of individual PBS stations.

• Love 5

I watched the Chronicles of Nadiya and thought they packed a lot in those two hours. It never felt rushed, though. 

Within the first ten minutes I was struck by how well-mannered and well-spoken her kids were. They didn't say a lot, but it seems like her family is a group of laid back, nice people.

When she arrived at her extended families' homes in Bangladesh, they were all hugging her and telling her how proud they were of her winning the bake off. She remained humble about it all. She was kind to everyone she interacted with, and seemed so shy to me when she first started on GBBO. She also said that the woman who entered the tent is not the same one that left, and it seemed to show throughout the two hours.

It seems that I can always see growth with the people on this show and Masterchef Australia. Well, most of the people anyway. 

• Love 4
On 9/1/2016 at 0:00 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

You are mistaken. Nadiya's season (know as Season 3 in the US) started airing on July 1st with the finale on August 19th. With a whole lot of variations at the discretion of individual PBS stations.

In fact that season finale just finished airing an hour ago in NYC.

That was great. In the show where she returned to her parent's hometown, she made a comment that the woman who walked into the tent is not the same woman she is now, and that clip seems like proof. You can really see the changes in some of the participants as the season goes on, and she was one of them.

• Love 1

A brand new cookery show presented by Nadiya on BBC2. Four out of eight episodes have aired so far.

Nadiya's British Food Adventure: 'To find out about the food she feeds her family, Nadiya meets fishermen, farmers, chefs and producers across the country and creates delicious new recipes inspired by their produce.'

Apparently it has been well received. TV ratings are good and a companion book became #1 best seller in Amazon UK!

Edited by sum
  • Love 4

The thread title spoiled it for me.  I think it wouldn't be an issue except for the fact that is on the main page and I saw the post before I could click on the past seasons button.  Yes, it's been out for awhile, but this show is still new to many people. 

Fortunately, the show is so charming that even knowing the winner didn't stop the tears from coming at that finale.

• Love 1

I saw a picture of Nadiya presenting a 90th birthday cake to Queen Elizabeth II and she was described as the winner of season 6 of the GBBO.  Being spoiled definitely did not affect my enjoyment of the season, or my happiness at her win.  

• Love 1
On 11/4/2017 at 11:20 PM, biakbiak said:

Her show The Big Family Cooking Show is now on Netflix.

Saw the first episode of this last night and liked it, although the baking is minimal (so far). Not sure exactly what her role is supposed to be.

She and the other host (Zoe?) are very subdued onlookers filling the Mel/Sue slots. I got through two episodes, but it's just not making sense to me. 1, Make a family meal for four, costing 10 pounds. 2, prepare a main course and dessert at home (one host shows up to kibitz). 3, back to the studio to make an appetizer and main course for the neighbors (but no neighbors show up). There seems to be no essential difference as to what's being asked in the three challenges, and they get to practice for all of them. And then at the end of the show one team of 3 is eliminated and the other gets through to the semifinal. (Never mind that this first pair of teams might happen to include the two best; one of them is out.) And the judging messages are decidedly mixed: "This is supposed to be family cooking, don't experiment with something you don't usually make" -- "You've been playing it too safe, take more risks." Well, which?

• Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 0:07 PM, Rinaldo said:

She and the other host (Zoe?) are very subdued onlookers filling the Mel/Sue slots. I got through two episodes, but it's just not making sense to me. 1, Make a family meal for four, costing 10 pounds. 2, prepare a main course and dessert at home (one host shows up to kibitz). 3, back to the studio to make an appetizer and main course for the neighbors (but no neighbors show up). There seems to be no essential difference as to what's being asked in the three challenges, and they get to practice for all of them. And then at the end of the show one team of 3 is eliminated and the other gets through to the semifinal. (Never mind that this first pair of teams might happen to include the two best; one of them is out.) And the judging messages are decidedly mixed: "This is supposed to be family cooking, don't experiment with something you don't usually make" -- "You've been playing it too safe, take more risks." Well, which?

I'm not really getting into The Big Family Cooking Show either.

1. They get to practice all the dishes before hand and I'm not seeing how any of the challenges are that different.
  2. The setup doesn't seem fair, who decides which teams compete against each other? IMO The team that was eliminated the first episode was a better team than the team that won episode 2.  
  3. With having new contestants each episode it's hard to get to know any of them.
  4. Each episode feels repetitive with the same 3 challenges etc. etc. 
  5. I also agree that the judges are sending mixed messages! "Don't try make things you haven't made before" but "Don't play it safe!"  However, I also had the same gripe with the judges on GBBO too. Mary & Paul would complain that someone was being to safe but then complain if someone made something with none traditional flavors.   

However, I do like that:

1. The judges aren't going around trying make the contestants doubt themselves like "cough" "cough" "Paul Hollywood" did.
  2. The judges have no problem admitting that they were wrong in thinking X wouldn't taste good.
  3. The judges aren't going out of their way to put down the cooks when something isn't up to their standards. Although, I've only watched 2 episodes so maybe the judges get meaner later on. 

Nadiya and Zoe are just kind of there to me. I'm not really sure they needed two hosts. But their getting in the cookers way while trying to chit-chat reminded me a bit of Mel/Sue.  I have to say I had to double check that it was Nadiya in the show; she looks different. I don't know what it is maybe she's wearing more make-up or is wearing her hijab different?

Edited by Fireball
On 11/9/2017 at 11:31 AM, Fireball said:

I have to say I had to double check that it was Nadiya in the show; she looks different. I don't know what it is maybe she's wearing more make-up or is wearing her hijab different?

She definitely looks different now, I think it's the hijab.

GBBO Nadiya

The-Great-British-Bake-Off-winner-Nadiya

Nadiya Now

nadiya-hussain-reflects-on-racist-abuse-

I don't know if they have different names for different styles of hijab, but she seems to wear the one with less material now. It really does make a difference in how she looks.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, GaT said:

She definitely looks different now, I think it's the hijab.

I don't know if they have different names for different styles of hijab, but she seems to wear the one with less material now. It really does make a difference in how she looks.

Thanks! Nadiya really does look different with her hijab not around her neck. (I know that is not the correct term, but I'm not sure what the different styles are called.) I wonder what prompted the change? 

4 hours ago, Fireball said:

Thanks! Nadiya really does look different with her hijab not around her neck. (I know that is not the correct term, but I'm not sure what the different styles are called.) I wonder what prompted the change? 

She might have changed just because you can see more of her face & that's probably something they want for TV.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, GaT said:

She might have changed just because you can see more of her face & that's probably something they want for TV.

I wondered if the TV shows might have been a reason behind the change. I was google searching Nadiya trying to see if the different ways she wears the hijab had different names and I stumbled on this article about why Nadiya wears a hijab. 

I also came a crossed this article Who is Nadiya Hussain?; wow she's been insanely busy since winning GBBO:

• She released several cookbooks.
  • Baked a cake for the 90th birthday celebrations of Queen Elizabeth II.
  • Appeared on The One Show on BBC One.
  • Started her own cookery show, The Chronicles of Nadiya.
  • Appeared on her own BBC Two series called Nadiya's British Food Adventure
  • Released a book of the same name Nadiya's British Food Adventure.
  • Written a children's book of stories and recipes, Bake Me A Story.
  • Is writing three contemporary women’s fiction novels for Harlequin.
  • Cohosted The Big Family Cooking Showdown.
  • in 2018 will be in Strictly Come Dancing.
Edited by Fireball
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, Fireball said:

I also came a crossed this article Who is Nadiya Hussain?; wow she's been insanely busy since winning GBBO:

• She released several cookbooks.
  • Baked a cake for the 90th birthday celebrations of Queen Elizabeth II.
  • Appeared on The One Show on BBC One.
  • Started her own cookery show, The Chronicles of Nadiya.
  • Appeared on her own BBC Two series called Nadiya's British Food Adventure
  • Released a book of the same name Nadiya's British Food Adventure.
  • Written a children's book of stories and recipes, Bake Me A Story.
  • Is writing three contemporary women’s fiction novels for Harlequin.
  • Cohosted The Big Family Cooking Showdown.
  • in 2018 will be in Strictly Come Dancing.

Geez, she only won two years ago, how did she fit all this stuff in?

I loved the Chronicles of Nadiya and the British Food Adventure, but I couldn't quite take to the Big Family Showdown, but I put that down to the format, rather than Nadiya.  I can't believe just how much she fits in, not that I blame her for wanting to grab every opportunity that comes along, but I hope she realises that she's established enough now that she can afford to pace herself.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 7:10 PM, Sew Sumi said:

...with three kids???

I know right? Maybe they hired a Nanny. I do keep wondering how the kids are dealing with the changes. Of course maybe the filming of the shows doesn't take as long as I'm picturing. 

2 hours ago, JennyFF said:

I loved the Chronicles of Nadiya and the British Food Adventure, but I couldn't quite take to the Big Family Showdown, but I put that down to the format, rather than Nadiya.  I can't believe just how much she fits in, not that I blame her for wanting to grab every opportunity that comes along, but I hope she realises that she's established enough now that she can afford to pace herself.

I haven't been able to watch either the Chronicles of Nadiya or the British Food Adventure. :( I've watched some of the Big Family Showdown, but I'm finding it kind of boring.   It does seem like Nadiya is taking every opportunity that comes her way which makes sense, but hopefully she's not burning her and her family out. The Strictly Come Dancing seems like an odd choice for a cook, but I'm guessing it's really popular in Britain and could help promote her books.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:46 PM, JustaPerson said:

I liked Nadiya during her season, but I didn't love her the way everyone else seems to. Her bakes were good but she was only ok. I was hoping Tamal would win. 

I was also rooting for Tamal to win. 

On 11/25/2017 at 11:54 PM, Fireball said:

I know right? Maybe they hired a Nanny. I do keep wondering how the kids are dealing with the changes. Of course maybe the filming of the shows doesn't take as long as I'm picturing. 

I haven't been able to watch either the Chronicles of Nadiya or the British Food Adventure. :( I've watched some of the Big Family Showdown, but I'm finding it kind of boring.   It does seem like Nadiya is taking every opportunity that comes her way which makes sense, but hopefully she's not burning her and her family out. The Strictly Come Dancing seems like an odd choice for a cook, but I'm guessing it's really popular in Britain and could help promote her books.

I was also rooting for Tamal to win. 

She talked about it briefly during her recent The Jonathan Ross Show visit. 

I was also pulling for Tamal all the way through and was very disappointed that he didn't win. While I totally understood why Nadiya was the audience's favorite I didn't care too much about her back then. 
However, having witnessed what it meant to her and what she accomplished since then using this stepping stones, and to think it most likely wouldn't have made this dramatic impact on any other baker's life, I'm glad she won it. It's quite an inspiring story and I can only admire her talent and courage.

• Love 3

I'm currently rewatching season 6 (I'm on episode 5) & even though I know what happened, at this point, I'm surprised she won. Right now, I would have said it was going to be Ian or Paul, Nadiya hasn't been doing that well.

EDITED: Right after I typed the above, Nadiya won her first technical, they she got Star Baker, so I guess this was the episode where she hit her stride.

Edited by GaT
12 minutes ago, Mumbles said:

In another season (they’ve been shown out of order here so it is actually a season that comes after this one), Nadiya won despite mediocre-to-poor showings in the technical challenges.

Bringing this over from the S3 final. I've seen this conclusion about Nadiya and technicals on the forums probably because Nadiya would always seemed surprised and delighted that she won a technical. However if you look at the results overall, she won the technical four out of ten times including in the final where it counted. Nadiya really struggled the first four weeks with technicals but after that, she was first for four of the technicals.

• Love 6

But if memory serves, she came last or close to last on the ones she didn’t do well.  That’s just my memory and it’s a few years old.

ETA: I looked at the results, curiosity got the best of me.  She came in last the first week, second to last the next three weeks. She came in first on week 5, fourth out of 7 on week 6, first on weeks 7 and 8, 4 out of 4, and first the final week.

(Shrugs) I think if she had slowly gotten better every week, I would view it as growth. But this pattern, I view it as consistency.  YMMV.

Edited by Mumbles

I see it as consistency too. Consistent growth, allowing (as I do) for the possibility of errors on individual occasions. Another way to summarize it is that in the final 6 weeks, she came in first 4 (2/3) of the times, and on one of the other occasions she was in the middle. Compared to her poor showing the first 4 weeks, that looks like growth to my eyes, especially with her three times as Star Baker factored in. But we all have our own perceptions.

• Love 3

I don't see Nadiya's technical results as mediocre or poor. It was actually typical to most winners as she had overall better rankings in the technicals than both Ian and Tamal. There was even an article about how to predict the winner of the last series (S08/Channel 4's first and Not shown on the UK) based on technicals. The link is full of spoilers and includes results from all the series so far. Click here.

• Love 2

Just stumbled across Nadiya’s Family Favorites on one of those on demand channels and I could stay up all night binging this charming show. I think she and her family are so adorable. I’m only two episodes in, but loved when she went to the tea plantation, but especially when she visited the vinegar guy! OMG! I love vinegars and seeing the “mothers” that are the starters for his vinegars was awesome (ala sourdough starters). If I ever make it back to Britain, I am tracking down this guy.  She is a natural on this show, I want to eat the food she cooks and it’s educational. I have not watched anything else she’s been on (other than GBBO), but this show is a delight. I apologize if this show has been discussed already. My DirecTV guide shows it is from 2018.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Just stumbled across Nadiya’s Family Favorites on one of those on demand channels and I could stay up all night binging this charming show.

I can second that, its a very lovely show. Her Mocha Swirls have become one of my favourite sweet things to make - I'll actually make a batch tomorrow.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, irisheyes said:

Those look delicious. I need to get some self rising flour. 

you can mix it yourself, its 1 tsp of baking powder for every 100g of plain flour

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Nadiya has a new show out on the BBC: Nadyia Bakes (8 episodes). At the moment it airs on Wednesdays on BBC 2, and its on the iPlayer.  I watched the first episode and its as lovely as her Family Favourites programme. Dunno if or when it will come to Netflix, but you can keep an eye out for it 🙂

Edited by Aulty
  • Love 3
On 9/10/2020 at 8:50 AM, Aulty said:

Nadiya has a new show out on the BBC: Nadyia Bakes (8 episodes). At the moment it airs on Wednesdays on BBC 2, and its on the iPlayer.  I watched the first episode and its as lovely as her Family Favourites programme. Dunno if or when it will come to Netflix, but you can keep an eye out for it 🙂

This is now available on Netflix in the U.S.!

• Useful 1
  • Love 5