Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E28: Acting Out

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, CurlyATX said:

Later on, when Val comes, she spends years trying to get in the gang, instead of hanging out with cool other students.

The kilt thing somehow raises more questions...anyway, I always wondered this too: what did a chick like Val need these group of fuddy crumb bums for? 

23 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah in my opinion, in real life, at this point in the show all Kelly and Brenda do is have the same fight over and over. In reality, they would just stop being friends because they would stop hanging out at all. They keep fighting over and over and never come to a realization really. Which is the same problem I have with Kelly and Dylan as well. 

See that's the thing: Freshman year IRL would never happen. Branda might learn to be in a room with Dylan and Kelly for the sake of Donna and Brandon, but once they all got to college, even the same collage, they all would have stopped talking. There is no way Kelly and Brenda stay close friends while Kelly and Dylan are a couple. And it's a little crazy making that the show won't acknowledge this. Instead you have all these weird sceens where Brenda is being chastised for not being a good enough friend to her EX-BOYFRIEND AND HER BF WHO CHEATED TOGETHER! It is an insane situation. 

Why does Kelly hate the scamily? I never got that. I mean I know why I hate them, but why does Kelly hate them?

• Love 1

Kelly wants all of Dylan's attention and time and he wanted to do shit together w them or talk about how great they are to her. Also like Liz Taylor said (paraphrased) when you're in a relationship and the love or passions gone even the way your partner holds a fork will set you off. 

BTDubs I can sorta see where Brenda is mad Kelly is going for lead because Kelly has taken something from her before and acting was Brenda's THING. Also at this point Brenda didn't have much going for her in the school, achievement, or romance stakes and kept  being put down for that. In Brenda's mind she thinks it's unfair since she went after any of Kelly's things like John Sears or bulimia. 

I kinda get the gang all sticking together, except for Brenda. The "popular" kids I knew when I was at school were a bit the same, because who wants to go out and make new friends when you're already top of some random high-school pecking order? But Brenda *moved to another state just to get away from these assholes* and then we're supposed to believe she just came back and reclaimed her place? 

I know it's all BTS contract stuff but I kinda wish they'd turned Brenda into a recurring character for season four. A 'Special Guest Star' or whatever - so she could show up every now and then, make gloriously bitchy comments about Kelly, mock Brandon for being mentally stuck in high-school, and then go back to whatever she was doing now. Instead of us having to watch her nearly marry St'rt and be an animal activist for five minutes and flub her lines at an audition, they could have Mary Camdened her and just had all the other characters tell us what god-awful shit she was up to every week. It would actually be so much more realistic. 

• Love 1

Kelly/Donna/David did a huge disservice to themselves by not living in the dorms frosh year.  Many universities require it, just so you become part of campus life more

Yeah, but in urban schools located in major cities with a large student population, you can get away with it. I knew people who, for example, went to the University of Miami and most of them lived off campus their first year.

As for the gang all hanging out together...I can still see them being friends with each other, though they wouldn't only hang out exclusively with each other. They'd all meet new people and each have their own new circle of friends, but I'd imagine they'd be there for the big events in each others lives (birthdays, one of them being in play, certain Greek events, etc), and occasionally meet up with each other every few weeks for coffee or go to a party or whatever (yes, even Brenda). It wouldn't be an all or nothing scenario, imo.

Agree with others that these people would have, at minimum, found new friends in College. Sure, they may have stayed friends with their HS pals, but people should have and would have picked up new BFFs along the way. Especially people like Brenda with her theater people or heck, even Brandon and his "task force" geeks. 

AllyB, that sucks that happened to you IRL, but it confirms what I suspected. I just never believed Brenda and Kelly would have ever been friends again, ever. I just don't buy it. I mean, I remember in HS girls ending friendships if their BFF just DATED a guy that they liked (but had never dated the "wronged" friend) even if they guy was never interested in the girl, let alone had dated the person for 2 years. It was like a Code - you called "dibs" not the guy you liked and your girlfriends knew that was "your" guy, even if he didn't know you existed. Similar to how Angela Chase reacted when Rayanne hooked up with Jordan Catalano. Immature? Hell, yes, but realistic for that age. 

• Love 3

Yeah I think they'll be friends but some will drift from each other like Brenda, Andrea for example or Dylan. I could see in real life Steve, David, and Brandon being tight and Kelly and Donna because sororities and living together. But even though that happens, they'll still see each other for the important events or around. 

It's mainly a slow drift. 

• Love 1

Honestly.. I hated everyone's reactions to the result of the cheating thing with Brenda. It really seemed like everyone just wanted Brenda to get over it for the sake of the gang. They didn't understand why she would be angry or upset when Dylan chose Kelly and why hanging out then wasn't her idea of a fun time. It's actually kind of a big deal in high school what Kelly did. I don't really understand why the hang was all get over it to her. I get that's it's high school stupid but then.. It's kind of not? It just bothers me a lot that the rest of the gang expected Brenda to be okay with it. And also her own brother, her twin, didn't have her back at all.

• Love 5
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 7:25 PM, WhosThatGirl said:

Honestly.. I hated everyone's reactions to the result of the cheating thing with Brenda. It really seemed like everyone just wanted Brenda to get over it for the sake of the gang. They didn't understand why she would be angry or upset when Dylan chose Kelly and why hanging out then wasn't her idea of a fun time. It's actually kind of a big deal in high school what Kelly did. I don't really understand why the hang was all get over it to her. I get that's it's high school stupid but then.. It's kind of not? It just bothers me a lot that the rest of the gang expected Brenda to be okay with it. And also her own brother, her twin, didn't have her back at all.

I think in general, most people didn't know about the SOD.  When the girls started fighting, Donna mentions how insensitive it is for Kelly to date Dylan right away (not that she hooked up with him over the summer).  David seems to think they just kissed that once.  Steve makes some mention of it later when he's fighting over that scam/tour guide I think.  But it wasn't full on accusations, it seemed like Steve figured Dylan was sniffing around Kelly vs. them nearly doing the deed.

I'm surprised why Brenda didn't announce the betrayal on the rooftops.  She's so dramatic that I could see her wanting to burn all bridges. 

But in general, the gang doesn't have much problem with interdating... Kelly does Steve/Dylan/Brandon.  David dates Donna and has does Clare/Valerie/Gina/that random business partner.  Brandon tries to screw outside the circle.  Steve does Valerie/Clare.  I'd be so insanely GROSSED OUT if I were in that group. It's not the number that bothers me, just knowing that your SO was intimate with a close friend of yours.  I think there is a throw-away line about Steve's sex sounds and both Valerie and Kelly are familiar with it. 

How dare Kelly who spent years being judged and ridiculed based on rumors and conjecture about her sex life, turn around and do the same to her best friend? The best friend who's boyfriend she had an affair with! Have a stadium of seats. 

In what world would Steve who is a walking hardon that cheated multiple x on partners get the nerve to slut shame Brenda? And all of this is spurred  by delusions of an obsessed teen they don't know over a friend they've had for years. 

Funny how no one thinks Randolph is the dick who is using his authority/power to get laid but they're instead point the fingers at the younger girl  as a bad guy in this scenario. Even her friends and brother! 

It was like a Code - you called "dibs" not the guy you liked and your girlfriends knew that was "your" guy, even if he didn't know you existed. Similar to how Angela Chase reacted when Rayanne hooked up with Jordan Catalano. Immature? Hell, yes, but realistic for that age. 

I had this with all my other friends. If someone really 'loved' some guy, he was off limits to everyone else. If two or more girls both 'loved' the same guy he was fair game for them and off limits to the rest of us. I worked nights and weekends in a supermarket when I was in college and it was stressful to navigate as so many friends had so many deep, deep crushes yet it became nearly as incestuous as the 90210 gang with all the serial monogamy.

But in general, the gang doesn't have much problem with interdating... Kelly does Steve/Dylan/Brandon.  David dates Donna and has does Clare/Valerie/Gina/that random business partner.  Brandon tries to screw outside the circle.  Steve does Valerie/Clare.  I'd be so insanely GROSSED OUT if I were in that group. It's not the number that bothers me, just knowing that your SO was intimate with a close friend of yours.  I think there is a throw-away line about Steve's sex sounds and both Valerie and Kelly are familiar with it. 

I think Claire even comments to Brandon at one point in season 6 or 7 about how incestuous a group they are.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, AndySmith said:

I think Claire even comments to Brandon at one point in season 6 or 7 about how incestuous a group they are.

Yes. I think by then they've ret-conned Steve and Kelly to just have had a one-night fling vs. having dated... which is one of the main off-screen storylines of the show!