Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

23 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Northeast here, and I think of table knives as coming in two varieties  - either butter knives (the dull ones with a rounded tip) or steak knives (the sharp, pointy ones).

Interesting. I call steak knives just that to distinguish themselves from regular table knives. Maybe it's a California thing? 😀

• Like 1
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Northeast here, and I think of table knives as coming in two varieties  - either butter knives (the dull ones with a rounded tip) or steak knives (the sharp, pointy ones).

Hmm. now it looks like we're into 3 different types.  To me, a butter knife is a specialty knife for cutting off a pat of butter at a holiday meal.  Table knives have a small serrated edge for general purposes, and steak knives are for steaks, harder to cut portions of meat.

• Like 6
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Hmm. now it looks like we're into 3 different types.  To me, a butter knife is a specialty knife for cutting off a pat of butter at a holiday meal.  Table knives have a small serrated edge for general purposes, and steak knives are for steaks, harder to cut portions of meat.

THIS! 

I just quoted Famy who made reference to butter knives. Since one doesn't cut with the little guys, it's evident she meant table knives. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Interesting. I call steak knives just that to distinguish themselves from regular table knives. Maybe it's a California thing? 😀

I'm from the south and those were three distinct kinds of knives: steak knives sharp enough to cut meat, table knives with slightly serrated blades for cutting lighter weight foods like bread, vegies, and possible breakfast meat, and butter knives that are smaller and smooth.

Famy is not educated in cutlery.

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5

Steak knives are sharp. I have a question for all of you. What do you butter your bread with? Special knives or table knives?

Maybe Amy should redirect Dax toward baking so there's less or no things to cut.

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
40 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Steak knives are sharp. I have a question for all of you. What do you butter your bread with? Special knives or table knives?

Maybe Amy should redirect Dax toward baking so there's less or no things to cut.

Table knives on a daily basis.  But a butter knife is used in a very formal setting.

• Like 2
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

I agree with the characterization of a butter knife being specifically for conveying butter to bread but I also grew up calling table knives butter knives.

• Like 6
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I would butter my bread with a table knife but that doesn't make it a butter knife. A butter knife is a specific tool. 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
On 11/30/2022 at 5:15 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

Yes, from the northeast but lived in the deep south longer.  Two types, but we don't call them butter knives.  Just knives and steak knives.  My grandma back in the day had a real "butter knife" - not sterling, but she would use it in her house for butter.  We didn't think it was fancy, just something grandma had that we didn't.  Now in the modern era we have paring knives, chef knives, serrated knives, bread knives, etc.  

• Like 2
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I agree with the characterization of a butter knife being specifically for conveying butter to bread but I also grew up calling table knives butter knives.

Same. We had a butter knife on the table for Thanksgiving, but it's not part of the normal table setting for my family. I've also heard people call table knives butter knives, but I think they know there are separate butter knives. I am not sure Amy would know the distinction though. 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

Same. We had a butter knife on the table for Thanksgiving, but it's not part of the normal table setting for my family. I've also heard people call table knives butter knives, but I think they know there are separate butter knives. I am not sure Amy would know the distinction though. 

No, she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer. 

Sorry, couldn't resist. 😂

• LOL 21

From https://www.amyrking.com/partner

AMY R KING

Meet Amy

FAITH     PARENTING     MARRIAGE     ENTREPRENEURSHIP     FASHION

A mother, wife, & entrepreneur, Amy (Duggar) King has long since transcended her reality TV roots. 

Amy's entertaining content revolves around parenting, marriage, fashion, and faith, and gives her 400K+ followers a look into her day-to-day life with husband Dillon (33K@KINGDILLPICKLE), son Daxton (23K @DAXRKING) and her Mom, Deanna Duggar. 

No stranger to the spotlight, Amy King's bold, genuine voice has always set her apart.  At 36, Amy has developed an unshakable personal brand, promoting her life as a mom, wife, child advocate, and entrepreneur. 

Amy's clothing boutique, shop3130.com, opened in 2019.  Amy's husband, Dillon, co-owns Wellington's restaurant, opening its second location this Summer in Rogers, Arkansas.

PUBLICIST  Heather Dark  

AVAILABLE FOR COLLABORATION

With an impressive reach across her social platforms, Amy understands her market and connects genuinely with her followers.

Amy's market is largely female and many of her followers are of the Christian faith.  

Amy's custom content production studio is conveniently located in Northwest Arkansas.

• Mind Blown 5
  • LOL 12

How is Amy a child advocate? Does she volunteer for CASA? Is she a Big Sister? Is she involved in any bills to go before Congress? Does she volunteer at shelters or at the YMCA?

She's not even a Room Mom at a nursery school.

I guess telling other moms to give their 3 year olds sharp knives if they throw dull ones, is child advocacy?

• Like 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

jym45ff21q4a1.jpg

What does this post have to do with ANYTHING??? 

For the record if Amy was sharing a holiday memory that included her cousins or a throw back picture, whatever, but who cares what her required wardrobe was at the TTH??

• Like 4
  • Love 4

No kidding. Reminds me of my 12-year-old stepson. Hubby and I have struggled for years with SS’s mom and her parents (he’s an only child and grandchild) because they regularly spend thousands on him on Christmas and birthday. Actually, throughout the year. He got a $900 bicycle a couple of years ago - one he’s now grown out of. Drives us nuts because SS, while not rotten, is definitely spoiled and entitled. He literally cannot wrap his head around people not fawning over him, treating him like everything he does/says is adorable and showering him with gifts and attention. With my family, he’s just one of a herd and you can practically see his brain short circuiting: “this does not compute.”

• Like 6
  • Sad 13

Spending is relative based on income and expenses, I know my sister and I had more toys and things than the law allowed growing up and I don’t think it ruined me. (but you know, my sister suffers so much and has nothing, only 100 Disney plushies 🤣🤣)

What people spend their “fun” money on varies from person to person, family to family. 

I am far more disturbed by the knife throwing than the boy having fancy gifts. 

But again I can acknowledge that I have been very privileged in this area and know many people who can’t afford these types of lifestyles but do it anyway because of insecurity or misplaced parental guilt, affection, social pressure etc. 

• Like 8

Oh, the knife-throwing is definitely a huge problem. Not at all cute or funny and a big red flag!

My sisters and I were indulged, too. And it is all relative. But when there isn’t attention paid to proper behavior, or any kind of appreciation (age-appropriate, of course), it can be an issue. In our case, SS is slacking off in school and in danger of flunking, yet when he broke his iPad by throwing it, biomom immediately bought him a new one.

There’s a balance. And if Dax is getting so many gifts he’s overwhelmed, maybe back off. And for Pete’s sake, address behavior issues!

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

Oh, the knife-throwing is definitely a huge problem. Not at all cute or funny and a big red flag!

My sisters and I were indulged, too. And it is all relative. But when there isn’t attention paid to proper behavior, or any kind of appreciation (age-appropriate, of course), it can be an issue. In our case, SS is slacking off in school and in danger of flunking, yet when he broke his iPad by throwing it, biomom immediately bought him a new one.

There’s a balance. And if Dax is getting so many gifts he’s overwhelmed, maybe back off. And for Pete’s sake, address behavior issues!

Oh if I had DARED throw something? Well you wouldn’t know me, I wouldn’t exist any more. My grades had to be perfect, I had caregiving duties towards my sister and grandfather (which I was expected to do well and without complaint), but I did have a lot in the way of material things. 

That “guilt” though can be strong with parents, especially at the holiday time. So many memories and things from their past in their own family. So I get why Amy might lavish her only child with presents at Christmas- the rest of the things she does #sideeye. 

Taking a Xmas story I want to share to small talk. 

• Like 7

I grow up with a fair amount of privilege. We all had snow skis, skates, bicycles, cameras, pool table/ping-pong, mini bikes, water skis, boats, etc. But at age three - nope, nothing more expensive than a tricycle and because I'm the youngest of 4, I'm going to guess mine was a hand-me-down.

Amy buys Dax a new haul of toys on the regular. The big toys for my kids at that age were things like the little coupe car and play kitchen from Little Tykes, items that were played with repeatedly but outlasted my kids.

I'm going to guess Dax will have no less than 3 bicycles before he's old enough to even ride one.

• Like 4
  • Sad 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Amy definitely over buys for Dax, we always see her with an overflowing cart full of toys at the thrift stores. His last birthday party was over the top with gifts too. But she’s an only child and he’s Deanna’s only grandson, so it’s understandable. Still not a great idea since it seems at age 3 he does what he wants.

• Like 7

Add me to team Christmas privilege. I didn't lack for much that I really wanted, but this still seems wildly over the top. I think a $300 zebra, if I got it at all, would have been THE big Christmas gift. We've still got more than 10 days to go before Christmas. Also, If Dax is overwhelmed by too many gifts, isn't the answer just to buy fewer gifts? Seems like a win for Dax and for the family (more money to spend on other things, less clutter and mess). 

This post also takes me back to my question about all of the folks we follow here (Duggars, Amy, the Rods and the Bateses), where the heck do they get the money? Amy's business is defunct, right? They've got the restaurant, but my understanding is that usually isn't a rolling in the dough kind of thing, especially when splitting the profits with partners. Is there really that much money in influencing for someone whose main claim to fame is "slightly (emphasis on slightly) less nutty cousin of a notoriously nutty family?"

• Love 5

Amy's website shop3130.com has been back up for a couple of months. But it was down for like a year, so who knows how many people have come back? Her stuff is marginally nicer than the Bates Sisters flimsy garbage, but it's still cheap. I think their money comes from the inheritance from Mary. Amy was seemingly Mary's favorite grandkid. 

• Love 3

Thanks, Salacious Kitty! I didn't know that Amy's shop was back on-line. An inheritance would make sense (I can see justifying an imbalance because Amy didn't have the Duggar tv money). I would kind of be surprised if an inheritance would be enough to fund this kind of gift-a-polooza long term, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Amy isn't the 'save it for a rainy day' kind. 

• Like 4
20 hours ago, satrunrose said:

Add me to team Christmas privilege. I didn't lack for much that I really wanted, but this still seems wildly over the top. I think a $300 zebra, if I got it at all, would have been THE big Christmas gift. We've still got more than 10 days to go before Christmas. Also, If Dax is overwhelmed by too many gifts, isn't the answer just to buy fewer gifts? Seems like a win for Dax and for the family (more money to spend on other things, less clutter and mess). 

This post also takes me back to my question about all of the folks we follow here (Duggars, Amy, the Rods and the Bateses), where the heck do they get the money? Amy's business is defunct, right? They've got the restaurant, but my understanding is that usually isn't a rolling in the dough kind of thing, especially when splitting the profits with partners. Is there really that much money in influencing for someone whose main claim to fame is "slightly (emphasis on slightly) less nutty cousin of a notoriously nutty family?"

If the kid is overwhelmed with gifts, then give experiences instead.  That's what I did with my niece and nephews.  We come from a large family as do my brothers in law.  The kids got a dozen gifts even before Santa came because all the grandparents, aunts and uncles wanted to give them presents.  So, I started a tradition of experiences rather than toys.  At Christmas, we'd go see the Nutcracker or other Christmas play.   I'd give them family memberships to the zoo or the local science center.  When we were on vacation, I took them swimming with dolphins as an early Christmas present and gave each of them a photo ornament of themselves with their dolphin on Christmas.  They're both grownups, married and one has a child of her own, but they still have their dolphin ornaments from when they were 4 and 6.

Even if she wanted to spread out the gifts, isn't the $300 zebra more like a Christmas Day gift and not a middle of December one?  Why not give him coloring books or pez candies or something inexpensive and build up to the big stuff?  

I am not Jewish, but have several friends who celebrate Hanukkah and they certainly don't give or receive large gifts every single night.  They got something special the first night and then, the other nights, it was little gifts.  One of my friends referred to it as 'sock night' as in 'I don't need to hurry home for Hanukkah tonight, it's just sock night'.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Love 8
38 minutes ago, Notabug said:

If the kid is overwhelmed with gifts, then give experiences instead.  That's what I did with my niece and nephews.  We come from a large family as do my brothers in law.  The kids got a dozen gifts even before Santa came because all the grandparents, aunts and uncles wanted to give them presents.  So, I started a tradition of experiences rather than toys.  At Christmas, we'd go see the Nutcracker or other Christmas play.   I'd give them family memberships to the zoo or the local science center.  When we were on vacation, I took them swimming with dolphins as an early Christmas present and gave each of them a photo ornament of themselves with their dolphin on Christmas.  They're both grownups, married and one has a child of her own, but they still have their dolphin ornaments from when they were 4 and 6.

Even if she wanted to spread out the gifts, isn't the $300 zebra more like a Christmas Day gift and not a middle of December one?  Why not give him coloring books or pez candies or something inexpensive and build up to the big stuff?  

I am not Jewish, but have several friends who celebrate Hanukkah and they certainly don't give or receive large gifts every single night.  They got something special the first night and then, the other nights, it was little gifts.  One of my friends referred to it as 'sock night' as in 'I don't need to hurry home for Hanukkah tonight, it's just sock night'.

Your tradition sounds nice.  My daughter in law and her sister give the children "experiences" too, for their birthdays.  They print up a nice certificate with something age appropriate that the child has shown interest in and some choices like Activity, your choice of lunch at place A or place B, you can spend the night for a slumber party and we can have choice A or choice B for supper and  these snacks of your choice.  

We are Jewish and the daughter in law has a latke party, no gifts, on a weekend night so more people can come.  Chanukah really isn't about the gifts as in not the Jewish Christmas, at least for our family and lots that we know.  I guess some Jewish people do expensive gifts a lot, though.  We all light the candles every night and that is nice.  Very different type holidays.  PS, I used to go there and make the latkes every year.  Three skillets of hot oil going and a lot of people saying "Yum, more please".  Making a few latkes this year for me and Mr lookeyloo much to disappointment of that crowd!! Some cultures eat donuts.

• Like 5
  • Useful 5
  • Love 8

I wonder if one of Dax's Christmas gifts is a set of steak knives all his own? These people never cease to amaze me. Knives and small children are a no-no and I certainly think this spoiled little boy should not ever be throwing utensils. I don't see any good coming from this activity.

• Like 9
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

I wonder if one of Dax's Christmas gifts is a set of steak knives all his own? These people never cease to amaze me. Knives and small children are a no-no and I certainly think this spoiled little boy should not ever be throwing utensils. I don't see any good coming from this activity.

It’s awful, but at least she’s not leaving guns out like Joy. 

• Like 3
23 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

You can buy frozen latkes, though they absolutely do not compare to homemade.  I get mine at my local Kroger store.

image.png.21e4521eec7b14c3371bf789d5224db8.png

Mr. X likes Manischewitz potato pancakes.  I've never seen frozen latkes where I shop, but I'd buy them if the store had them.

• Like 3