Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

This looks like a reminder to fundy families that these girls will be available soon.

I think it's a f-you to the Internet who keeps posting about how sad or unhappy the girls are, especially Jenni.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, skatelady said:

Jenni is smiling, but it sorta looks like she was crying just before. Do her eyes look a little red/sad to you?

She always looks a little sad to me. I’ve always thought of her as the lost-est of the Lost girls. 

• Love 6

I'll never understand how it is that Ben can teach high school, middle school and elementary school aged children at the same time. I know they did it in those one room schoolhouses in the 1800s but life isn't that way any more and hasn't been for quite some time now.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

I'll never understand how it is that Ben can teach high school, middle school and elementary school aged children at the same time. I know they did it in those one room schoolhouses in the 1800s but life isn't that way any more and hasn't been for quite some time now.

I think he makes some effort to teach the younger kids, and the older ones do some type of computer-based lessons. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I wonder if Ben focuses on their handwriting? That must have been part of his homeschooling. I remember he had very flowery handwriting in his love letters to Jessa. (the ones she didn't seem to appreciate much!)

• Love 6

We’ve seen the kids copying out Bible verses so I think that is a large part of their schooling. Two subjects at once - religion and handwriting. A large part of the time is probably on tablets these days. No more Meechelle screeching  about bankruptcy or perpendicular.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Didn't Jessa say at one point they were planning on using Charlotte Mason-style homeschooling? That is a very writing-heavy curriculum with a huge emphasis on grammar. Students do copy-work as soon as they can form letters, rewriting passages over and over until they are letter perfect.

• Love 3
Just now, Nysha said:

Didn't Jessa say at one point they were planning on using Charlotte Mason-style homeschooling? That is a very writing-heavy curriculum with a huge emphasis on grammar. Students do copy-work as soon as they can form letters, rewriting passages over and over until they are letter perfect.

And we’ve already seen how Spurg can regurgitate bible passages and hymns, and Henry seems to spout answers to addition and subtraction questions, so rewriting passages over and overfits right in.

• Useful 1
56 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

And we’ve already seen how Spurg can regurgitate bible passages and hymns, and Henry seems to spout answers to addition and subtraction questions, so rewriting passages over and overfits right in.

I would find this preferable to the indoctrination of present-day government schools in the US. But, that's just me. Lock-Step On!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Nysha said:

OMG. I read this as “Charles Manson-style homeschooling“ and I thought... what?
Then I reread it. 🤷🏼‍♀️

• LOL 23
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, Not Buyin It said:

I would find this preferable to the indoctrination of present-day government schools in the US. But, that's just me. Lock-Step On!

13 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Can you elaborate on that?

Yes I'd also like more information. My son is in 2nd grade and I honestly am constantly impressed with the scope and depth of his education...i don't see government indoctrination, unless that's a really aggressive reaction to Common Core math!

• Useful 1
  • Love 14

I mean..."indoctrination" is in the eye of the perceiver. I would imagine that many fundies think that public schools are a place for government indoctrination...while failing to consider the possibility that they are the ones being indoctrinated through their IBLP education. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

On 4/9/2021 at 9:50 PM, skatelady said:

Jenni is smiling, but it sorta looks like she was crying just before. Do her eyes look a little red/sad to you?

She looks like someone who hasn't had much practice smiling.

#FreeJenni

On 4/9/2021 at 9:30 PM, cmr2014 said:

Someone posted earlier that JB is "getting stricter" with the girls, and it's also been reported that he had a fairly serious case of COVID. If JB is worrying about his mortality, he's not going to want to miss the opportunity to meddle in the lost girls' marriages. I could easily see him wangling some kind of "biblical betrothal" nonsense for the younger girls with the expectation that they would marry at 18.

I doubt that. Those girls have been left to their own devices all of their lives and it's far too late for Jim Slob to do anything with them. Plus, he's getting on in age and they still have a few years to go before they can marry.

Jenni has never smiled, ever. She reminds me of myself, now that I'm understanding certain things pertaining to me - all of my childhood photos show me fairly serious. She has the same face and I firmly believe that Jenni is deeply depressed.

Jill posted a insta story of having "retail therapy" at Amy's shop.  She was modeling several outfits with a couple of Sam appearances in the background.  I would have rather heard the conversation she and Amy must have been having about yesterday.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Probably on life support. 

I looked. According to Google it is.  Seems to be doing decent business? But who can tell from Google. 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Is Wellington’s still in business? 

I wonder if he applied for a PPP loan. If he did, I hope he's using the funds properly or he'll go under when he has to pay it all back.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

I'm intrigued by the idea there's a string of five-star reviews. one after the other, yet one of them mentions how nice it is because it's usually not overcrowded.   Either they're managing to get by charging a good amount for quality over quantity, or the rave reviews are suspect.

Aside from the cigar aspect the concept does sound interesting.   Music that's not too loud, not a sports on TV place, small plates, intriguing cocktails and custom distilled spirits.    Now I'm bummed  out because I have no idea when it's going to be reasonable to even go out for a bite with my husband or get together with friends.    

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Now I'm bummed  out because I have no idea when it's going to be reasonable to even go out for a bite with my husband or get together with friends.    

The complaints about the portion sizes alone would be a no-go for us. My husband would get pretty cranky over a 4 oz steak and a single piece of broccolini, especially at those prices, lol.

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Aside from the cigar aspect the concept does sound interesting.   Music that's not too loud, not a sports on TV place, small plates, intriguing cocktails and custom distilled spirits.    Now I'm bummed  out because I have no idea when it's going to be reasonable to even go out for a bite with my husband or get together with friends.    

It's bougie as hell, but not a bad concept.  It's an adult place for adults that does not cater to college students.  

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The complaints about the portion sizes alone would be a no-go for us. My husband would get pretty cranky over a 4 oz steak and a single piece of broccolini, especially at those prices, lol.

It's really weird, too, because it seems geared toward manly men who smoke cigars and appreciate whiskey and probably want pretty good sized portions. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

36 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

It's bougie as hell, but not a bad concept.  It's an adult place for adults that does not cater to college students.  

Oh, I'm not suggesting I want to go there in particular.   The rave reviews that call out specific parts of the concept are what I find interesting.   I'm not interested in dropping lots of cash for flash and hype either.

• Love 3