Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Irish names have been altered over time. My maiden name is Irish, as is my current last name. When my grandfather came to the states via Ellis Island, his last name was O’******.  On paperwork, the “O’” was omitted. He went on to have 3 sons, all of whom had the “O’”, yet he did not.
Same on my ex husband’s side, the “O’” was dropped permanently.

Both families were Catholic.

So, Michelle’s family name could have started out as O’Ruark(e), is my point. 😁

See, this would be another point of difference between Scotch-Irish and Irish immigration. The former predates Ellis Island by a good 150 years and centered on Pennsylvania rather than New York arrivals. Not saying those names didn't alter over time too, but that doesn't seem to be a prevalent issue in the research I've done and they weren't being changed by stumped or inattentive immigration officials.

Edited to bring back to the Duggars: I just doubt the experiences of Irish Catholic immigrants in the late 1800s/early 1900s are in their family tree. Some of their family history may pop up that ends up surprising me, but it just doesn't match historical migration patterns, of which the Irish Catholic experience is its own unique pattern very different from the Scotch-Irish one. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1

Is it possible that way back in Europe Michelle's family name could have been O'Rourke? They have been in the US for many, many generations. I once saw a post someone put online of Michelle's father's family history. I think they have been here since the 1600s or 1700s. Same goes for Jim Bob's ancestors.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

Is it possible that way back in Europe Michelle's family name could have been O'Rourke?

Michelle says as much in the same episode where they eat the green food coloring breakfast. Clip is here:

• LOL 4
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

Is it possible that way back in Europe Michelle's family name could have been O'Rourke? They have been in the US for many, many generations. I once saw a post someone put online of Michelle's father's family history. I think they have been here since the 1600s or 1700s. Same goes for Jim Bob's ancestors.

Maybe she's related to Beto! LOL

• LOL 10
  • Love 3

If anyone is ever visiting norn iron, visit the ulster american folk park, it’s fab!

i take huuuge offence at them celebrating paddy’s day-it is an evil Catholic saint’s day and really has nothing to do with partayyyys at all.

dont forget thay any catholic ulster irish might have been taking the soup, turning them prod and therefore no more Catholic traces

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Is that Jenny in the middle and Hannie on the right?

Opposite -- from your left, it's Joy, Hannie, Jennifer.

Now I better go to the prayer closet and repent my sins, because how do I know all these weirdos on sight?!

• LOL 7
5 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Now I better go to the prayer closet and repent my sins, because how do I know all these weirdos on sight?!

At least I was close? I'll join you in the closet. I misidentified Hannie as Jennifer because I thought the middle sister looked the saddest so she must be Jennifer, which is a sad way to try to recognize a kid.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, rue721 said:

Personally, I can never even identify Hannie as a Duggar unless it's pointed out. Not that she looks particularly different from the rest of them, but I don't really see any real Duggar "hook" to her features. Hard to explain. I imagine she could probably be just as pretty as any of the other girls eventually, but her face has no real personality, and is likely one which would benefit from a bit of makeup, as she is very much a blank canvas to me. A face with eyes, nose, and a mouth, all with perfectly good shape and proportion, but rather looking as though she came off a fundie assembly line. I do think Jennie is very pretty, and have thought so since she was very little. And agree with @TrixieTrue that she is one  whose features came out of the same genetic grab bag as Jana.

• Love 3

Ticket To Ride isn’t a bad game, and it’s not explicitly fundie or anything. Given who’s endorsing it, I’m pleasantly surprised. 

I just said something nice about the Duggars.  I need a weekend. 

• LOL 17
  • Love 5

I actually think of the Carpenters before I do the Beatles for that song. LOL

But @jennblevins is right. It isn't a fundie game, as far as I know. We have it at the library where I work as part of our board game collections for game nights, and a couple of years ago, when we did a program where the kids got to play only that, they loved it so much that the program ended up going over nearly an hour before anyone noticed time was way up. It actually seems like a pretty refreshingly normal thing for them to do.

Edited by Zella
  • Love 11
On 3/30/2021 at 6:00 PM, BigBingerBro said:

And we thought the OG Duggar girls saw some shit..... this 4 saw a whole lot more

They've seen the other girls' adult lives and know there is no escape, just endless years of cleaning, cooking, and babies.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Nysha said:

They've seen the other girls' adult lives and know there is no escape, just endless years of cleaning, cooking, and babies.

Not sure Jessa cleans or cooks much, but yes there are babies . . . and more babies. 

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Not sure Jessa cleans or cooks much, but yes there are babies . . . and more babies. 

She may not cook or clean, but it doesn’t appear she’s replaced them with something fulfilling (or anything at all, really), so that might be even less of a future to look forward to.  

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, jennblevins said:

She may not cook or clean, but it doesn’t appear she’s replaced them with something fulfilling (or anything at all, really), so that might be even less of a future to look forward to.  

True, there's lots of discussion about Spurgeon's lack of stimulation, but if you think about it it's the same for his parents and all the adults living on, or more accurately, doing Duggar Time.   No such thing as time off for good behavior, reduced sentence, early release.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Nysha said:

And realized their parents were sleazeballs with the Josh thing.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ouinason said:

They look like hostages

That's because they are. They have no outside life. The only way out of that house is pretty much an arranged marriage, followed by baby after baby. Or possibly stuck there for life like Jana.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

IDK, I just feel like they're warehoused at the TTH with no education, no stimulation, watching the rest of the family jet off here and there.  Spurgeon's boredom has been noted and chatted about many times.   . . . 

I don't hold out a lot of hope that their time will ever come in regards to their worlds opening up even within the confines of the awful community they're trapped in.  (Family and religious community, not the community at large where they live.)

[That and the following quotes are from the Joe and Kendra topic. I brought them over here to comment.]

1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Johannah is fifteen, Jenni is thirteen, Jordyn is twelve, and Josie is eleven. . . .

47 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

Just to be clear, I don’t think the world will ever open up. It hasn’t for any of the children, except maybe Jill, a little bit. Just it they will look a little bit better on camera. And of course  . . .have Instagram accounts with a hawk cheap useless crap  and dispense great life wisdom. 

Unless the show continues, and the current camera hogs (the parents, Jessa, Jinger and Jer, and Anna) are shoved aside now and then to make time for the Lost Girls to have more camera time? They won't have the name recognition for the huge numbers of SM followers that the older daughters have racked up. I don't know if Kendra is thirsty for the spotlight but I think the producers like her and she seems to have a good onscreen presence. And regardless of their love (or not) for the spotlight, the show is going to focus on engagements, weddings, and babeez, which also lets out the Lost Girls from getting much screen time as individuals, until they get a courtship or a biblical betrothal followed by their wedding special episode and birthing video.

I don't follow the show closely, but I don't think they have had much camera time as individuals, either in scenes following some activity, or THs. Certainly not the kind of onscreen time that the older daughters had, which was enough to portray their personalities, etc. In terms of general public knowledge of the Duggars, they are just faces in the crowd, with perhaps a little heightened knowledge of Josie but that's really only because of the story around her birth. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 9
On 3/30/2021 at 6:52 PM, BigBingerBro said:

8ikq8nl797q61.jpg

These are indeed the lost girls.  I know this is a still of a video, but I like the look on Jennifer's face - like she's been over it for years and is plotting her escape once she turns 18.  I guess I can dream.....

On a shallower note, I look at these girls and see little to no resemblance to most of their siblings.  I see some Jana in Johanna and I know Josie is the image of young Michelle.  Maybe a little bit of Jessa in Jennifer?

Of these four, I hope one of them breaks away and comes back for the other three.

• Love 12
(edited)
On 3/30/2021 at 10:51 AM, louannems said:

Both of those girls need a good head scrubbing. I know my own daughter went through a grungy, poorly groomed phase but I'd never post pictures!

In their case, I sort of wonder whether there isn't a rule against Duggar-defined excessive hair washing (and showering, actually). I doubt JB wants to pay for a lot of water. And imagine what that hair does to drains and pipes.

It might be hard to escape calling an actual plumber if they washed their hair very often, I'd guess. And we know JB wouldn't want to pay for that. 

My family had rules like that. No more than two inches of water in the tub. No showers unless you'd been sprayed by a skunk or set on fire or something.

Females could wash their hair once a week and it had to be in the basement, where you could open the big floor drain or -- preference of TPTB -- dump your used water into buckets, carry it outside and dump it there (great fun in January)  

No shower, sink or mixing faucet down there either. Hair was washed in a dishpan that you carefully filled with a mix of near-boiling water from one faucet (which was about a foot from the water heater) and freezing water from the other. Sneaking a hair wash in the bathroom was occasionally done by females with shorter hair but dangerous, since you had to leave the door ajar, spies were always on the prowl for illicit activities, and, again, you couldn't use the shower. Good times. 

I'm not saying the Duggs are this extreme (all the people in charge of their house were born in the 20th century, not the 19th, for one thing). But I wouldn't be surprised if there are rules to offset excess water usage (not for environmental reasons, of course) and possible plumber calls. 

Plus, hygiene and a clean appearance doesn't seem to be of much concern to anybody. They spend very little time around regular people, so they probably don't see it as a norm.  I expect dirtier Duggars are more approved by the family authorities than ones seeking more cleanliness really. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Of these four, I hope one of them breaks away and comes back for the other three.

I feel like Jennifer has been over the Duggar lifestyle since birth. This combined with her previous closeness to Jill gives me an inkling of hope that she might find her way out before she's forced into marriage.

Johannah seems close with Joy and Jana, and I could see her willingly enter a courtship in a few years. Jordyn is the ultimate neglected child, but if Jenni manages to revolt, JB and Meech might crack down on the youngest girls.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 3/23/2021 at 3:18 PM, jcbrown said:

At least I was close? I'll join you in the closet. I misidentified Hannie as Jennifer because I thought the middle sister looked the saddest so she must be Jennifer, which is a sad way to try to recognize a kid.

Jennifer's hair is a little bit lighter in color (although it's sometimes hard to tell this). 

Edited by Churchhoney

The Lost Girls started getting less air time when the show rebranded. Initially none of the new show were filmed in the TTH and focused on the Seewalds and Dillards. And even when they dropped Jill's and Jessa's names from the title, they mostly just kept filming babies and weddings.

I'm on the fence with the Lost Girls - will their lives be better off or worse if the show gets cancelled soon?

• Love 1