Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

Just now, Absolom said:

$9 for brussel sprouts?  $8 for mac and cheese?  Side servings?

In Springdale, Arkansas?   I can't see it.

I just about died about the mac and cheese. I order mac and cheese all the time because I am still a kid at heart. There's no way I am paying $8 for a side of mac and cheese. 

Also if I am reading his menu right, he is charging $14 for plain alfredo and if you want any meat on it, it goes from $19-30. That is insane to me. I often order alfredo around here, and I usually pay $15-ish for it with meat. 

Not Arkansas, but a lot of people when they want to be fancy, they go to the Keeter Center in Missouri (like Jill and Derick did). It's run by C of O and has actual chefs and a culinary program behind it and even they don't charge $19 for chicken alfredo. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

I have never been to Arkansas, so I know nothing about that area, but I could see people trying that restaurant for something "different" if there isn't anything like it nearby.  The key to success will be exceptional service along with a quality product.   The menu seems a little all over the place.  You can tell he's trying to appeal to a variety of tastes.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on a future Restaurant Impossible type show.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
49 minutes ago, Zella said:

I just about died about the mac and cheese. I order mac and cheese all the time because I am still a kid at heart. There's no way I am paying $8 for a side of mac and cheese. 

Also if I am reading his menu right, he is charging $14 for plain alfredo and if you want any meat on it, it goes from $19-30. That is insane to me. I often order alfredo around here, and I usually pay $15-ish for it with meat. 

Not Arkansas, but a lot of people when they want to be fancy, they go to the Keeter Center in Missouri (like Jill and Derick did). It's run by C of O and has actual chefs and a culinary program behind it and even they don't charge $19 for chicken alfredo. 

So, you think it is overpriced and therefore will likely fail? It seems on par with pricing of decent restaurants in my area, which is much more tony than Springdale is made out to be. 

4 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I have never been to Arkansas, so I know nothing about that area, but I could see people trying that restaurant for something "different" if there isn't anything like it nearby.  The key to success will be exceptional service along with a quality product.   The menu seems a little all over the place.  You can tell he's trying to appeal to a variety of tastes.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up on a future Restaurant Impossible type show.

I'd pay for that screaming Brit (whose name escapes me) coming there to fix the place up. 😂

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

The menu is sort of all over the place, isn't it? I can't really see a theme in any of the offerings, and none of it necessarily meshes well with the ostensible reason for the business anyway--fine whiskey and cigars. 

8 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

So, you think it is overpriced and therefore will likely fail? It seems on par with pricing of decent restaurants in my area, which is much more tony than Springdale is made out to be. 

I wouldn't necessarily say it will fail because of the prices. But in my experience/opinion, they are quite overpriced for the area, and the entire business is at odds with Springdale's image. It might turn into a trendy hot spot for all I know, but I have a hard time envisioning the people who would like this going all the way to Springdale for it. It will be interesting what the initial response to it is. I think people might go because they are curious. But as badly as he has botched the roll out already, I don't have high hopes for him being very competent at this. 

Big Binger Bro hit on this with his comment, but there is no real rhyme or reason to the menu. I get charging a lot for things with lobster in it. But I am having a hard time reconciling the restaurant that has fancy lobster dishes with what sounds like the world's most basic chicken sandwich. Or the restaurant that has a ton of random sriracha dishes with a bunch of hoity toity brunch stuff. And I say this as someone who likes all of the above. LOL

It's like he threw spaghetti to the wall to see what would stick and just relied on his own random interests for choosing the menu. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 6
Just now, Sew Sumi said:

Yeah, the closest theme I could come up with is Steakhouse, but there's only one steak on the menu. 

Also, I assume his clientele will be mostly male, but most of the guys I know who like whiskey and cigars don't eat brunch. 🤷‍♀️

• Love 3

I can't even explain why, but this line cracks me up every time I see it on the sandwich menu:

"ADD CHEESE FOR MORE GREAT FLAVOR."

Well, no shit, Sherlock! But he never specifies what type of cheese is even available. . . . 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

I can't even explain why, but this line cracks me up every time I see it on the sandwich menu:

"ADD CHEESE FOR MORE GREAT FLAVOR."

Well, no shit, Sherlock! But he never specifies what type of cheese is even available. . . . 

As a cheesemonger in my younger days, that makes me LMAO. 

• LOL 4
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

As a cheesemonger in my younger days, that makes me LMAO. 

Hahaha Nice! I, um, eat ungodly amounts of cheese myself, which might account for some of my reaction to it. 😂

What's sad is some of the menu stuff does sound kind of interesting to me. I like to eat, and I have a somewhat adventurous palate. I would have actually considered going over there to do some snooping when it opened, but as it is, I don't want to pay those prices and I have some real misgivings about how it will be managed.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
44 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'd pay for that screaming Brit (whose name escapes me) coming there to fix the place up. 😂

Gordon Ramsey 😆

of course Dillon also seems to have formed an LLC in Sept 2019.

Corporation Name KINGSTON REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT GROUP, LLC

Filing #811218389

Filing Type Limited Liability Company

StatusGood Standing

Reg. Agent DILLON KING

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Namaste said:

Gordon Ramsey 😆

YAAAAAS!! 😂

4 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

of course Dillon also seems to have formed an LLC in Sept 2019.

Corporation Name KINGSTON REAL ESTATE INVESTMENT GROUP, LLC

Filing #811218389

Filing Type Limited Liability Company

StatusGood Standing

Reg. Agent DILLON KING

Does Amy have one for the store?

• Love 1

Oh dear, there seems to be something called a drunk pig sandwich on the menu. Alcohol and pork! Sin! 

On a somewhat related note, a lot of people on Reddit are speculating that Amy’s store is due to fail given her on sustainable business model of offering something like half off if you pay her $10 a month club. It does certainly sound fishy. Or at least some kind of scheme to fleece people or keep the place afloat a little bit longer. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Yeah, I saw her post about the little club. I guess we can also calculate her markup on what are inevitably cheap polyester clothes from China.

I don’t think their analysis was necessarily wrong. Without continually reinventing yourself it’s pretty easy to get left behind in the fashion world. Whatever the equivalent is in Arkansas.

• Love 1

I had lunch there today, lol.  Not very fancy for a birthday treat, but they aren't a 4 person family so it makes sense.  Better than the free sundae thing that they do for every kid.  And their copy/paste birthday "greeting" on the internet.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oh, I don't disagree! I'm just calculating the markup on her non-sale items. If she's still making money selling stuff at half price to her members, the markup must be quite high.

Probably in the thousands of percent, but she is hardly alone in that arena. Even then, the party will end sometime.  I just wonder how being a mom is affecting her ability to run the business. I would love to see Jill working for her, but I think Daghstyn might be the one that ultimately tells the business to fold

• Love 2

I see what she's doing with the club.  People will pay the price and not actually buy a whole lot each month, if anything, so it's constant revenue.  I don't know how that will shake out in the end though, it might turn some people off.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

For Justin’s birthday, it looks like.

Wasn't that months ago?

7 minutes ago, ouinason said:

I see what she's doing with the club.  People will pay the price and not actually buy a whole lot each month, if anything, so it's constant revenue.  I don't know how that will shake out in the end though, it might turn some people off.

How many people would she have to sign up at $120/yr to turn a profit (provided they but little to nothing)?

On 1/11/2020 at 9:15 AM, sleepysuzy said:

Disciple as a verb is considered archaic or obsolete by some dictionaries, but the Duggars and their friends aren't making this usage up or being idiots. The more modern verb form is discipline, but that word has other connotations. "To disciple" is a transitive  verb meaning to train or teach someone, usually in an ideological system such as religion or philosophy. 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discipline

The Root and Meanings of Discipline

Discipline comes from discipulus, the Latin word for pupil, which also provided the source of the word disciple (albeit by way of a Late Latin sense-shift to “a follower of Jesus Christ in his lifetime”).

21 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Here's the menu for Dillon's new restaurant. @Zella, is this pricey for AR? Looks pretty basic to me 

https://wellingtonnwa.com/plates

I don't think that those prices are that expensive except for the sides.  My area of Eastern North Carolina is probably pretty comparable to the same in Arkansas, and those prices look on par with the local restaurants.  

This restaurant is across the railroad tracks from my work--

https://mainandmilltavern.com/menus/

This is a favorite on payday--

http://daphousenc.com/kitchen-dap-house/dinner-menu/

If Vivian Howard can operate this in Kinston NC then I don't see Dillon's restaurant being that out of place

https://www.vivianhoward.com/chef-the-farmer

11 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Yeah but Dillion is NOT Vivian Howard.

I have a confession to make, I cannot stand Vivian.  I read her book, and tried to watch her show on PBS and that made me dislike her even more.  She is a snob who pretends to be some down-home girl which is far from the truth.   This may come off as BEC, but I have lived in the same area on and off for close to 30 years.  I can see through the facade she has created because she speaks in the coded language of the south--ie. boarding school for high school to keep her away from black kids.  In one episode of her show she was bemoaning how hard it was to find good help because all of the people in Kinston are drug addicts and not the same kind of addicts she would have known working in restaurants in NYC either.  Her restaurant is close enough to a large university that she should be turning away good help.  If she cannot find servers, that is telling me something about her.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I don't think that those prices are that expensive except for the sides.  My area of Eastern North Carolina is probably pretty comparable to the same in Arkansas, and those prices look on par with the local restaurants.  

This restaurant is across the railroad tracks from my work--

https://mainandmilltavern.com/menus/

This is a favorite on payday--

http://daphousenc.com/kitchen-dap-house/dinner-menu/

If Vivian Howard can operate this in Kinston NC then I don't see Dillon's restaurant being that out of place

https://www.vivianhoward.com/chef-the-farmer

If it were just the prices, that would be one thing, but the menu looks like it was created by someone on crack and has no clear rhyme or reason.

The fact that Dillon's restaurant's opening has been delayed for months as he bumbles his way through issues with the name and other factors also makes me seriously side-eye the prices. If his food was really good, he'd probably get away with it, but as is, I don't have great confidence in his ability to do anything. 

And truthfully, if the restaurant were in Fayetteville or Bentonville, I'd still think it was a little overpriced, but it would be nowhere near as incongruous as it being in Springdale and hyped as some sort of glamour lounge and charging those prices. Springdale is the kind of place where people move a few miles from their place in Springdale, so they can tell people they live in Rogers rather than Springdale. Fairly or unfairly, it's considered the armpit of NWA. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, Zella said:

If it were just the prices, that would be one thing, but the menu looks like it was created by someone on crack and has no clear rhyme or reason.

The fact that Dillon's restaurant's opening has been delayed for months as he bumbles his way through issues with the name and other factors also makes me seriously side-eye the prices. If his food was really good, he'd probably get away with it, but as is, I don't have great confidence in his ability to do anything. 

And truthfully, if the restaurant were in Fayetteville or Bentonville, I'd still think it was a little overpriced, but it would be nowhere near as incongruous as it being in Springdale and hyped as some sort of glamour lounge and charging those prices. Springdale is the kind of place where people move a few miles from their place in Springdale, so they can tell people they live in Rogers rather than Springdale. Fairly or unfairly, it's considered the armpit of NWA. 

While I don't see this restaurant venture working out for Dill and he doesn't have the family money or connections that Vivian Howard has,  your description of Springdale is exactly how someone from ENC would describe Kinston.   

• LOL 3
28 minutes ago, Zella said:

He also misspelled avocado. Perhaps I’m an elitist jerk, but it really bugs me when restaurants can’t spell something they’re giving me to eat. It makes me doubt the quality of the food. Would you pay $11 for “cheez gritz,” for example? I mean, even Cracker Barrel can spell its menu correctly.

Edited by mynextmistake
  • LOL 5
  • Love 4
16 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

While I don't see this restaurant venture working out for Dill and he doesn't have the family money or connections that Vivian Howard has,  your description of Springdale is exactly how someone from ENC would describe Kinston.   

Hahaha that did make me laugh. I guess he could be banking on some sort of revival/image redux for Springdale where he leads the charge. 

Incidentally, I just checked Google Maps and realized Dillon's restaurant is next door to Amy's store, and it's apparently in front of a church. And the idea of this incongruously fancy lounge in front of a church and right next to a tacky boutique in Springdale had me giggling. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Oh, I thought it was known that Dillon's restaurant was in the same strip mall as Amy's boutique. I wonder if they know the landlord?

It may very well have been known, but I just realized it. LOL

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Zella said:

Incidentally, I just checked Google Maps and realized Dillon's restaurant is next door to Amy's store, and it's apparently in front of a church. And the idea of this incongruously fancy lounge in front of a church and right next to a tacky boutique in Springdale had me giggling. 

Ribbon cutting by the Reverend Jeremy Vuolo after this week’s church service.

• LOL 12

The restaurant looks fine to me. I thought that the menu looked good.

I kind of thought cigars were over, but I don't really keep up on what millenial men are into these days, and I could see a market for this type of hyper-masculine environment.

On the other hand, does this guy have ANY experience in the restaurant business? Running a restaurant is an enormous amount of work and requires loooong hours. I've never really had the impression that Dillon had much of a work ethic.

• Love 11
33 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Is the W unfinished or is it intentional?  I must say it certainly does look quite upscale.

amy's reponse to that question was

"It's the font they chose! It's very modern on the inside so it fits the branding very well!"

• Useful 1

I believe around 50% of all new restaurants fail in the first year and only about 20% survive long term. The odds are against Mr Amy before he cooks his first steak. It probably would have been smarter to open a cigar bar.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11