Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Besides being a dust catcher?

Maybe it's a sunny corner & it needs some shade.

Call me old, but I like a more traditional theme of farm animals and trains  for a baby boy.  It's just my opinion, but the woodland theme could wait til he's older. 

It seems to be trendy today to decorate a baby's room for the adults, not the kid.  That's what this looks like to be.  Lots of stuff hanging by the crib that he could pull down on top of himself once he's able to stand.  A potted plant where he can grab a handful of dirt to put in his mouth.  The color scheme is also not baby friendly.  Babies like contrast, like black and white or bright colors.  Pictures with faces.

The humorist Dave Barry wrote a book years ago about pregnancy and birth.  He talked about the typical baby preferring décor along the lines of 'Aladdin's cave decorated with cuckoo clocks.'  I think that is the way to go.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12

Eh it was done by a Duggar, I think we can all assume it was done incorrectly as none of them has any education in anything and they "see one do one" and leave out the "learn". That fencing could actually be just dusted off and tacked onto the wall.

I hear lead was tasty back in the day, gave things a sweet taste. We'll see what the baby says.

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

He is the most ridiculous and useless spouse so far.  

I had such high hopes for Derick and Jeremy and their positive impacts on Jill and Jinger and yikes, I was wrong. With Ben I had little hope that he would bring much to the relationship almost from the beginning.

By the time Austin came along I didn't bother with any hope at all.

• LOL 8
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

What does Amy’s husband do?

I'm not sure. I know awhile ago he claimed he was opening a swanky lounge/bar in Springdale. And I laughed my ass off at the idea of it being in Springdale, but I can kind of be a bitch. 

@galaxychaser The business FB page claims they opened on the 8th of this month, but then the copy on the side makes it still sound in the works and their actual website also makes it sound like it isn't open yet. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I can be fair sometimes... I think this is really well done. Nothing about it says it’s a nursery for an actual human infant, but as vignette/staging goes, it’s beautiful. 

Now once he can start to crawl, get various childhood illnesses, and throw things, all that is going to be destroyed in days, but for now it’s pretty.

Although if that’s a changing table with that bucket of cotton branches on it...has she never changed a baby? They’re not known for lying there serenely and admiring the decor.

• LOL 16
  • Love 2

Back when Amy was engaged, I thought he had a graphics/screen painting business where he would cover things in graphics or designs.

I wonder if the swanky lounge will ever open?  Running a place like that where food and drink are served is a lot different from a clothing boutique.

Edited by BigBingerBro
  • Useful 3
4 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Back when Amy was engaged, I thought he had a graphics/screen painting business where he would cover things in graphics or designs.

I wonder if the swanky lounge will ever open?  Running a place like that where food and drink are served is a lot different from a clothing boutique.

Yes, I suspect he has bitten off way more than he can chew.

I also get the impression it might be stuck in some form of developmental hell.

In April, he posted something on the FB page claiming it was "coming in May"--and the FB page seems to have started this January--but May obviously has come and gone with no opening. Even the more recent posts promising an impending opening give no indication of how soon it is expected.

In June, there's a vague post about delays happening but the sign going up. 

And there's another post in July saying they had to change the name due to "unforeseen issues" another business. 

They posted a notice for hiring in November but with no indication when you'd be expected to start work. 

Springdale is also such a blue-collar town--it just seems like an odd business to open there. I feel like it would probably go over better in Fayetteville, which loves some hipster posturing, but if you want to avoid all the hipster U of A kids, then open it in Rogers or Bentonville. 

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yes, I suspect he has bitten off way more than he can chew.

I also get the impression it might be stuck in some form of developmental hell.

In April, he posted something on the FB page claiming it was "coming in May"--and the FB page seems to have started this January--but May obviously has come and gone with no opening. Even the more recent posts promising an impending opening give no indication of how soon it is expected.

In June, there's a vague post about delays happening but the sign going up. 

And there's another post in July saying they had to change the name due to "unforeseen issues" another business. 

They posted a notice for hiring in November but with no indication when you'd be expected to start work. 

Springdale is also such a blue-collar town--it just seems like an odd business to open there. I feel like it would probably go over better in Fayetteville, which loves some hipster posturing, but if you want to avoid all the hipster U of A kids, then open it in Rogers or Bentonville. 

Interesting. I wonder with what money is he opening this business? Maybe he was going to do it, but then Grandma Mary died and they decided to live on inheritance money for now?

My husband had a restaurant & live music venue for a few years. Until his partner embezzled the money but I digress. Once the lease was signed, opening quickly was of utmost importance. Amy’s husband must be sitting on money, rather than worrying about investors or loans, since he waiting so long. It will probably never happen.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
7 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Interesting. I wonder with what money is he opening this business? Maybe he was going to do it, but then Grandma Mary died and they decided to live on inheritance money for now?

My husband had a restaurant & live music venue for a few years. Until his partner embezzled the money but I digress. Once the lease was signed, opening quickly was of utmost importance. Amy’s husband must be sitting on money, rather than worrying about investors or loans, since he waiting so long. It will probably never happen.

That's a good question about where the money is coming from. I've not seen any discussion of the financing. 

It's a bizarre opening strategy--I get announcing a little early to build some hype, but now it just seems almost inept with so many false starts. It's not really comparable but I started my own freelance business last year, and I waited until I was ready for business before rolling it out. I would have felt so goofy posting updates of every thing I did that backfired or had to be adjusted before I was even in business.

Designed my own logo! Actually my logo sucks--friend with a graphic design background designed a better one! Talked to my accountant--realized an idea I had was very bad! LOL

Those moments are part of being in business, but I don't think advertising them to your customers before you even open is a good idea. It just doesn't inspire confidence at all. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 14

I expect Amy’s hubby has Jon Taffer/Bar Rescue on speed dial. No way will he succeed. It takes a lot of money just to keep the doors open. (I watch too much Bar Rescue, Gordon Ramsay, Restaurant Impossible) 

Edited by galaxychaser
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 12/29/2019 at 1:21 PM, Oldernowiser said:

Although if that’s a changing table with that bucket of cotton branches on it...has she never changed a baby? They’re not known for lying there serenely and admiring the decor.

I'm hoping and expecting it's not, considering the changing pad (?) appears to be folded up inside a black lacquer box far shorter than your average infant  😂 .  Either way I don't get it, unless it's a spare set of things and they have a separate table set up; or it's now considered healthier for some reason to change one's baby on the floor, because as I understand it, often you don't really have time to "set up" a changing table anew every time you're gonna use it, lol  ("This kid's gonna blow!!!  Outta my way!!!").

Edited by queenanne
  • LOL 4
49 minutes ago, SMama said:

Who is the young lady with Hannie?

Elizabeth Patton. She and her sister are supposed bffs of Hannie. She's 18, her sister Lydia is 23, and Hannie is 14. I guess mentally they are all the same age. Unmarried fundie girls are only allowed to hang out with other unmarrieds.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

Elizabeth Patton. She and her sister are supposed bffs of Hannie. She's 18, her sister Lydia is 23, and Hannie is 14. I guess mentally they are all the same age. Unmarried fundie girls are only allowed to hang out with other unmarrieds.

Layers and layers and layers of junior frump.  Are they trying to look like they're having fun?

What the year has in store??? The same. And attending more bridal showers, baby showers, and weddings.

• Love 11

I was going to say the same thing. She doesn't look like Joy any more than any of them look like her as a sibling. She literally has Josh's entire face on a female body. It's very unfortunate. Additionally, she needs a more supportive bra, asap. Look at the bust line of all of the other young ladies and look where Hannie's bust is resting. She needs to be properly fitted. 

• Love 6

Hannie doesn't look like Joy at all to me.  Fundies have a whole thing about the kids' best friends are supposed to be older than them. Daddy Bontrager explained it at John's and Chelsy's wedding. Basically kids the same age are equally undeveloped and that's dangerous. Kids need their friends to be older people show so they have mature role models for the future, etc. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

Hannie doesn't look like Joy at all to me.  Fundies have a whole thing about the kids' best friends are supposed to be older than them. Daddy Bontrager explained it at John's and Chelsy's wedding. Basically kids the same age are equally undeveloped and that's dangerous. Kids need their friends to be older people show so they have mature role models for the future, etc. 

lydia patton posted from the TTH a few months back a pic with Anna and Johanna with the caption,

"so t h a n k f u l for these two 💙 for one who is constantly pouring into me over the years, encouraging and discipling me. & the other, I’m blessed to do the same. // Who is discipling you, and who are you leading? Find your people who point you to Jesus in everything, and be the same to others.

I can't get the pic, but it is on lydia.grace96 on instagram

Edited by crazy8s
poor spelling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Temperance said:

So shut up, and get in your pecking order. No independent thought! 

6 hours ago, Temperance said:

I remember when Joy's best friend was Sierra, many years older than her. Hopefully Sierra isn't pouring into and discipling Joy into having baby after baby forever.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, louannems said:

I remember when Joy's best friend was Sierra, many years older than her. Hopefully Sierra isn't pouring into and discipling Joy into having baby after baby forever.

And now it all makes sense though, doesn't it?  Your "friend" is really your frumpy mentor; which is why someone thought it was A-OK for a grown woman to be best friends with teen Joy.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

Mentors playbook?

Pray to be content with following Jesus, you need a tank under that shirt, wait for God's timing, have you tried this new eyeliner, listen to your dad he protects your heart, did you know your knees show in that skirt when you sit down, strive to be Proverbs 31 woman ....

• LOL 1
21 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Sometimes, I think that people just don't know how to English anymore.

Disciple as a verb is considered archaic or obsolete by some dictionaries, but the Duggars and their friends aren't making this usage up or being idiots. The more modern verb form is discipline, but that word has other connotations. "To disciple" is a transitive  verb meaning to train or teach someone, usually in an ideological system such as religion or philosophy. 

Edited by sleepysuzy
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
8 hours ago, sleepysuzy said:

Disciple as a verb is considered archaic or obsolete by some dictionaries, but the Duggars and their friends aren't making this usage up or being idiots. The more modern verb form is discipline, but that word has other connotations. "To disciple" is a transitive  verb meaning to train or teach someone, usually in an ideological system such as religion or philosophy. 

Agreed on the definition but they're still morons.

• Love 14
19 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Here's the menu for Dillon's new restaurant. @Zella, is this pricey for AR? Looks pretty basic to me 

https://wellingtonnwa.com/plates

Though he's trying to go for a fancy vibe, from what I can tell, it looks really overpriced to me, though I am admittedly a cheapskate from a family of tightwads. 😂

But his appetizer and dessert prices are absolutely insane-looking to me, based on the sit-down restaurants I frequent. They are literally double the cost of what I see. I get charging more for seafood dishes, but he's charging over $10 for a fucking chicken sandwich. 

I also am shocked he is trying to charge these prices in Springdale, which has a much more blue-collar vibe than Fayetteville, Rogers, or Bentonville. 

If his dessert prices are for a whole cake, I will retract my statement on that. But double-digits for a piece of cheesecake is just not something I am used to seeing around here.  

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 8