Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

“I hope you will join myself and other” - really now? 

...and fine dinning too.

ETA: Figured he was spelling harbor incorrectly also....so LOL, he is ...it's Har-Ber Crossing.

Edited by drafan
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1

“To smoke what the world calls the finest cigars from around the world.”

Um, what?

To recap, that’s booze, smoking and overpriced, not used, schmancy food, and an “upscale, sophisticated lounge” that’s “more mature.” (Euphemism for strip club?)

So everything that is NOT the Duggar brand. That’s going to make for some interesting family reunions...

• LOL 11
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

So everything that is NOT the Duggar brand. That’s going to make for some interesting family reunions...

It would if it was going to be open for more than a week.

I don't think that Amy or Dillon put five minutes of research into starting these businesses.

I don't entirely see his vision here. It's either a strip club -- in which case, it will do fine -- or some kind of fancy English-inspired gentlemen's club of the sort that Jeremy might want to patronize -- which will fail. I could be completely wrong, but I can't imagine that there are enough well-heeled young men in Springdale who want to spend an evening out drinking expensive whiskey and smoking cigars.

If he inherited some money, this little venture will take care of that pretty quickly. I can't imagine a bank loaning him money for this.

• Love 17
26 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

“To smoke what the world calls the finest cigars from around the world.”

Um, what?

To recap, that’s booze, smoking and overpriced, not used, schmancy food, and an “upscale, sophisticated lounge” that’s “more mature.” (Euphemism for strip club?)

The mature probably means over 25 crowd.  I don't know the demographics there, but where I live the young adult population between college and having kids was underserved for decades.  I live in a university town with a large hospital and you had to go to the same bars as the college kids.  It has gotten better in the last 5 years with new places popping up all over.  Not all of them have been successful,  but it's much better than what it was when I was living here as a 23 year old.

• Love 4

I thought the cigar lounge fad died out about a decade ago, but maybe it's making a comeback? My guess is that if this place isn't a strip club, it will be just as soon as he gets the required licenses in place.

• LOL 6
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

That might have a chance in Little Rock in the right location.  I don't see it doing well in NWA.  I could be wrong, but it sounds overly pretentious for Springdale.

PBR and ditch weed would sell well with in Springdale.

It does sound like a place Jeremy might enjoy....

Only if there’s a Champagne Room.  Josh would enjoy it regardless. 

Edited by JoanArc
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

That might have a chance in Little Rock in the right location.  I don't see it doing well in NWA.  I could be wrong, but it sounds overly pretentious for Springdale.

Agreed. That sort of thing is better suited to Fayetteville. But they already have a shit-ton of bars there. LOL Granted, you do have to share a lot of the bars with all the college students, but if you placed it away from Dickson Street, you'd remove all the students walking down from campus. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1

I'm watching Master Chef right now and the contestants were given a "mystery box" containing ingredients they must work with. I think it's a good analogy for the Kings' business ventures.

Amy's box had "sell clothes that people could buy cheaper on-line in a strip mall. Oh, and make sure it has a Christian theme. Go!"

Dillon's box had "open a pretentious cigar bar that will require you to get a liquor license. Oh, and serve food. Go!"

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
On 8/16/2019 at 7:14 PM, cmr2014 said:

It would if it was going to be open for more than a week.

I don't think that Amy or Dillon put five minutes of research into starting these businesses.

I don't entirely see his vision here. It's either a strip club -- in which case, it will do fine -- or some kind of fancy English-inspired gentlemen's club of the sort that Jeremy might want to patronize -- which will fail. I could be completely wrong, but I can't imagine that there are enough well-heeled young men in Springdale who want to spend an evening out drinking expensive whiskey and smoking cigars.

If he inherited some money, this little venture will take care of that pretty quickly. I can't imagine a bank loaning him money for this.

Yeah, his current plan doesn't exactly blow my skirt up.  If you made it quieter and better lit, like a private library with books and booze, maybe; I could see that possibly working.  I'd pay a small premium for a place where my friends and I could actually hear each other talk, for example.  Or, one of those hidden gimmicky speakeasy-type setups in an old bank vault or similar.  Simply "restaurant with internal private VIP lounge" doesn't do it for me.

But the biggest worry is, has Dill Pickle ever, you know, worked in the hospitality industry?  Because that's the number-one factor that kills new bars dead before they start; some fool who knows nothing other than the patron's side of the bar saying "Hey, even though I have zero experience, I've always wanted to open a bar because I think it would be a super kewl fun job where I can hang out with my friends and make everybody happy!"

• Love 23

NW Arkansas isn’t as unsophisticated and backwoods as some people assume (not necessarily people here, more in general). They have nice restaurants and bars, arts and culture, shopping and big houses. I don’t see what’s so special  or unique about what Amy’s husband is doing conceptually. He’s positioning it that way - VIP! - but is it really? If he doesn’t have experience in hospitality, I bet it closes in a couple of months. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

NW Arkansas isn’t as unsophisticated and backwoods as some people assume (not necessarily people here, more in general). They have nice restaurants and bars, arts and culture, shopping and big houses. I don’t see what’s so special  or unique about what Amy’s husband is doing conceptually. He’s positioning it that way - VIP! - but is it really? If he doesn’t have experience in hospitality, I bet it closes in a couple of months. 

Yes, thank you. Really, the Duggars are actually in one of the best parts of the state for access to cultural and educational opportunities, as well as jobs, medical access, and shopping. It's no NYC, but it's not the po-dunk Mayberry the Duggars try to pretend it is. 

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

Amy's place was open before Mary died. I think there's money on Dillon's side. Dude hasn't worked a real job since his shop disbanded a few years back. But he has money to burn building monster trucks for SEMA. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

NW Arkansas isn’t as unsophisticated and backwoods as some people assume (not necessarily people here, more in general). They have nice restaurants and bars, arts and culture, shopping and big houses.

I base my judgments on having visited relatives there and comparing it to other places I've visited and lived.  It isn't the same as many parts of rural AR, but I guess I have to say it's still Arkansas.  NY, LA, etc. it still isn't.  Plus I think Dillon is delusional.

3 hours ago, Zella said:

It's no NYC, but it's not the po-dunk Mayberry the Duggars try to pretend it is. 

Right especially compared to many other parts of the state.  Mt Ida I'm thinking of you.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Right especially compared to many other parts of the state.  Mt Ida I'm thinking of you.

Haha I've never been to Mt. Ida, but I believe you. As someone who has spent most of her life in a rural Arkansas county but did live in Fayetteville at one point, the Duggar narrative about where they live seriously pisses me off.

Like Michelle saying Jinger wanting to live in a big city meant she wanted to be somewhere with a Wal-Mart, as if Wal-Mart was some sort of rare sight where they lived. 

Fucking horseshit, Michelle.

She lived 20 minutes from Wal-Mart headquarters. I just googled how many Wal-Marts were in the NWA area, and I counted about 20 of them between the Bentonville/Rogers/Springdale/Fayetteville area. That's not counting all the Sam's Clubs, too. 

Michelle makes it seem like they have some Little House on the Prairie existence when she's really just minutes away from all sorts of conveniences beyond the joys of Wal-Marts as far as the eye can see. LOL

As someone who lives in an Arkansas county where people really do struggle with the distance from accessible medical facilities and grocery stores, I'm never in the mood for that. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 18
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

As someone who lives in an Arkansas county where people really do struggle with the distance from accessible medical facilities and grocery stores, I'm never in the mood for that. 

Yeah, Michelle pretends she lives somewhere like Mt Ida.  It has one "grocery store," a post office, a Subway, and a hardware store.  It used to be close to an hour drive from Hot Springs before they put in a four lane highway.  Hot Springs comes with it's TWO Wal Marts, two hospitals, and some real restaurants.  I have to admit I got the best mango salsa of my life at a Mexican restaurant in Hot Springs that catered to the workers at the race track.  I'm not sure if it's all Michelle or more driven by TLC and/or Jim Bob to pretend they live in the backwoods.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
8 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I'm not sure if it's all Michelle or more driven by TLC and/or Jim Bob to pretend they live in the backwoods.  

Yeah I'm honestly not sure who drives that--Michelle, JB, or TLC. Maybe some weird fusion?

It's about an hour-and-a-half drive for me to the Fayetteville/Bentonville/Rogers area. Other people where I live drive that distance either there or to Missouri regularly for things like basic grocery shopping and medical appointments and even jobs. 

Speaking of jobs, there's nothing stopping the Duggars from all working at a number of major companies' headquarters just miles away from them, except for their own ignorance and laziness. 

• Love 14

I just had to look up the difference between a baby shower and a baby sprinkle, and whoa are the claws on the Duggar women out.  A sprinkle is supposed to be a lower key affair for a second (or third, etc) child--less money, fewer guests, fewer and cheaper gifts, etc.  I guess none of these Christian women could throw Amy a real baby shower for her first shower.  I wonder how that check is going to be split.  Will someone get Amy's meal or will she have to pay for it?

• Useful 1
  • Love 19
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

*Gasp* Is Lauren the only one not clutching her bump??? Is the world about to end?

But she does have a tassel on it...

But she is standing sideways, and her bump is therefore the most visible at first glance

Although I have to admit, she looks like the best dresses of them all

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

*Gasp* Is Lauren the only one not clutching her bump??? Is the world about to end?

But she does have a tassel on it...

Oh you know that tassel is Asa's balloon string.   Aaaaand that left hand could be in full bump-clutch.

Kendra looks the best by a mile. Bump-clutch notwithstanding.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I’ll put this here, since Amy posted it.

I saw this picture and my first thought was, "poor Joy." It must be hard for her with the baby-celebrating shenanigans of her sisters-in-law and cousin. I hope she takes time away from the circus to heal.

Also, could Anna look any more frumpy?

Edited by jcbrown
more snark
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I’ll put this here, since Amy posted it.

This photo just made my heart hurt for joy. Not too long ago, she was in the group of expectant moms. I hope people are being gentle with her. It’s so hard to go to a baby shower when you’ve just lost a baby. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I just had to look up the difference between a baby shower and a baby sprinkle, and whoa are the claws on the Duggar women out.  A sprinkle is supposed to be a lower key affair for a second (or third, etc) child--less money, fewer guests, fewer and cheaper gifts, etc.  I guess none of these Christian women could throw Amy a real baby shower for her first shower. 

I wonder if perhaps this was Amy's compromise to keep the party-pooper Duggars away from her "real" shower, or else the Duggars could not bare to co-occupy space with Amy's slutty, heathen friends and decided to throw her a small, Duggar-appropriate shower of their own... Either way, I would hope that Amy did have another, bigger, non-sprinkly shower.

• Love 22