Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Ljohnson1987

The Other Duggars: The Howlers, Lost Girls, Grandma Duggar and Amy

Recommended Posts

Dare I ask what his thoughts on school boards are?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, latetotheparty said:

I doubt you need to. 

Yeah I know. I'm just naturally as curious as the proverbial cat. 😂

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Does Jed even know what a school board is?  The only one he knows about has his father as superintendent/principal  & his mother as a teacher.

  • Laugh 11

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Zella said:

Dare I ask what his thoughts on school boards are?

For a long time now, the religious right, Tea Party, etc., have focused on winning seats on local school boards, as well as other local elected offices. (See this 1993 article from LA.)  These are usually races that don't attract a lot of publicity, and candidates often slide into office without close examination of their affiliations and overall philosophy. Many of the races are officially nonpartisan which makes it really easy to soft-pedal one's party affiliation when that would help win unaffiliated votes. Winning control of school boards (city councils, etc.) allows a party or group to shape policy on a local level and is a good way for politicians of any sort to gain experience and build support systems that will be a springboard to higher office. 

I'm sure that in the political circles where he moves, there's a lot of talk about "school choice," i.e. vouchers and charter schools. In our area not long ago, a couple of suburban school boards were successfully targeted by an organized campaign of pro-voucher/anti-union interests. After a few years of controversy, the voters chose a different direction for their school boards in subsequent elections.

So if he's talking about school boards, he's probably spouting what he's being taught. I hope this doesn't delve too far into politics. I'm just trying to provide context for his social media posts since the question was asked. (BTW I'm not saying that only conservative political groups run candidates for school boards. Just that it's long been something that some such groups pay attention to, perhaps more than other groups have done, although I think that may not be quite so true lately.)

Edited by Jeeves
  • Like 6
  • Useful 13

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Zella said:

Dare I ask what his thoughts on school boards are?

I'm guessing how important it is for people to be involved in their local school board because they set the standards for the district.  Even though a Duggar would never step foot into a public school, their curriculum needs to align with the Duggars' world view--comprehensive sex education is bad, evolution is bad, climate change is bad, teachers' unions are bad, trans kids are bad and do not deserve any rights, etc.   

I will say that many local school boards are elected positions and rarely require their members to have any knowledge on how public schools actually operate.  I will admit that I rarely vote in the local public school elections because I do not have any kids.  There are openings for a Duggar-like person to get on a local school board because of voter apathy.  

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I'm guessing how important it is for people to be involved in their local school board because they set the standards for the district.  Even though a Duggar would never step foot into a public school, their curriculum needs to align with the Duggars' world view--comprehensive sex education is bad, evolution is bad, climate change is bad, teachers' unions are bad, trans kids are bad and do not deserve any rights, etc.   

I will say that many local school boards are elected positions and rarely require their members to have any knowledge on how public schools actually operate.  I will admit that I rarely vote in the local public school elections because I do not have any kids.  There are openings for a Duggar-like person to get on a local school board because of voter apathy.  

Yes, I would imagine he is interested in school boards insofar as they influence the curriculum and rules and regulations at the local level.  The school board often has a say in the choice of books to be used in various classes and there are religious conservatives who have fought for 'Creation Science' to be taught as being just as valid as the big bang theory and evolution and require that exactly the same amount of time be spent teaching it.  There are textbooks which cater to this crowd and, if a school board can vote on an earth science text that includes 'Creation Science' and claims that global warming is a hoax; he or she can influence the education of kids in their district for years to come. Insisting that abstinence only education be taught to the exclusion of any other option for preventing teen pregnancy or STD's is also a favorite of this crowd and they have been successful in many communities.

They can also influence dress codes and other expressions of personal values by students and force conformity on the masses.  Requiring all tattoos be covered is popular as is restricting piercings to one hole/one earring per earlobe and no piercings/earrings anywhere else.

  • Like 5
  • Sad 7

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/4/2019 at 12:15 PM, madpsych78 said:

All I remember is when Michelle put the kittens in the drink container.

In a large styrofoam cup. And claimed they liked it. 

  • Surprise 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Amy’s husband Dillon King announced this on Instagram. What experience does he have to undertake such a venture?

27F39896-907C-411F-ACD1-C23573B4793C.png

  • Useful 3
  • Laugh 4
  • Surprise 3

Share this post


Link to post

So is MEchelle going to have to protest against this "cigar lounge" like she did the 7-11 or whatever it was that wanted to sell booze?

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 12

Share this post


Link to post

“I hope you will join myself and other” - really now? 

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/16/2019 at 4:58 PM, Westiepeach said:
On 8/16/2019 at 4:58 PM, Westiepeach said:
Edited by Westiepeach

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

“I hope you will join myself and other” - really now? 

...and fine dinning too.

ETA: Figured he was spelling harbor incorrectly also....so LOL, he is ...it's Har-Ber Crossing.

Edited by drafan
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

That might have a chance in Little Rock in the right location.  I don't see it doing well in NWA.  I could be wrong, but it sounds overly pretentious for Springdale.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

King Dill Pickle can't even write a coherent sentence. This venture will crash and burn pretty quickly (or until Mommy and Daddy get tired of propping it up).

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Sorry for the weird double post. Apparently it’s my first day operating a computer.

  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post

“To smoke what the world calls the finest cigars from around the world.”

Um, what?

To recap, that’s booze, smoking and overpriced, not used, schmancy food, and an “upscale, sophisticated lounge” that’s “more mature.” (Euphemism for strip club?)

So everything that is NOT the Duggar brand. That’s going to make for some interesting family reunions...

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

So everything that is NOT the Duggar brand. That’s going to make for some interesting family reunions...

It would if it was going to be open for more than a week.

I don't think that Amy or Dillon put five minutes of research into starting these businesses.

I don't entirely see his vision here. It's either a strip club -- in which case, it will do fine -- or some kind of fancy English-inspired gentlemen's club of the sort that Jeremy might want to patronize -- which will fail. I could be completely wrong, but I can't imagine that there are enough well-heeled young men in Springdale who want to spend an evening out drinking expensive whiskey and smoking cigars.

If he inherited some money, this little venture will take care of that pretty quickly. I can't imagine a bank loaning him money for this.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

“To smoke what the world calls the finest cigars from around the world.”

Um, what?

To recap, that’s booze, smoking and overpriced, not used, schmancy food, and an “upscale, sophisticated lounge” that’s “more mature.” (Euphemism for strip club?)

So everything that is NOT the Duggar brand. That’s going to make for some interesting family reunions...

The mature probably means over 25 crowd.  I don't know the demographics there, but where I live the young adult population between college and having kids was underserved for decades.  I live in a university town with a large hospital and you had to go to the same bars as the college kids.  It has gotten better in the last 5 years with new places popping up all over.  Not all of them have been successful,  but it's much better than what it was when I was living here as a 23 year old.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Is whiskey and cigars a growing trend?

It seems to me that his target customers are rich as f^*k pompous folks or folks that are already dead and buried.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I thought the cigar lounge fad died out about a decade ago, but maybe it's making a comeback? My guess is that if this place isn't a strip club, it will be just as soon as he gets the required licenses in place.

  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

That might have a chance in Little Rock in the right location.  I don't see it doing well in NWA.  I could be wrong, but it sounds overly pretentious for Springdale.

PBR and ditch weed would sell well with in Springdale.

Quote

It does sound like a place Jeremy might enjoy....

Only if there’s a Champagne Room.  Josh would enjoy it regardless. 

Edited by JoanArc
  • Like 1
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

That might have a chance in Little Rock in the right location.  I don't see it doing well in NWA.  I could be wrong, but it sounds overly pretentious for Springdale.

Agreed. That sort of thing is better suited to Fayetteville. But they already have a shit-ton of bars there. LOL Granted, you do have to share a lot of the bars with all the college students, but if you placed it away from Dickson Street, you'd remove all the students walking down from campus. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I'm watching Master Chef right now and the contestants were given a "mystery box" containing ingredients they must work with. I think it's a good analogy for the Kings' business ventures.

Amy's box had "sell clothes that people could buy cheaper on-line in a strip mall. Oh, and make sure it has a Christian theme. Go!"

Dillon's box had "open a pretentious cigar bar that will require you to get a liquor license. Oh, and serve food. Go!"

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 10

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/16/2019 at 7:14 PM, cmr2014 said:

It would if it was going to be open for more than a week.

I don't think that Amy or Dillon put five minutes of research into starting these businesses.

I don't entirely see his vision here. It's either a strip club -- in which case, it will do fine -- or some kind of fancy English-inspired gentlemen's club of the sort that Jeremy might want to patronize -- which will fail. I could be completely wrong, but I can't imagine that there are enough well-heeled young men in Springdale who want to spend an evening out drinking expensive whiskey and smoking cigars.

If he inherited some money, this little venture will take care of that pretty quickly. I can't imagine a bank loaning him money for this.

Yeah, his current plan doesn't exactly blow my skirt up.  If you made it quieter and better lit, like a private library with books and booze, maybe; I could see that possibly working.  I'd pay a small premium for a place where my friends and I could actually hear each other talk, for example.  Or, one of those hidden gimmicky speakeasy-type setups in an old bank vault or similar.  Simply "restaurant with internal private VIP lounge" doesn't do it for me.

But the biggest worry is, has Dill Pickle ever, you know, worked in the hospitality industry?  Because that's the number-one factor that kills new bars dead before they start; some fool who knows nothing other than the patron's side of the bar saying "Hey, even though I have zero experience, I've always wanted to open a bar because I think it would be a super kewl fun job where I can hang out with my friends and make everybody happy!"

  • Like 22

Share this post


Link to post

The whole idea of this restaurant is so Amy, Dillon and Duggar. They all think they're VIPs and think everyone aspires to be categorized as such.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

NW Arkansas isn’t as unsophisticated and backwoods as some people assume (not necessarily people here, more in general). They have nice restaurants and bars, arts and culture, shopping and big houses. I don’t see what’s so special  or unique about what Amy’s husband is doing conceptually. He’s positioning it that way - VIP! - but is it really? If he doesn’t have experience in hospitality, I bet it closes in a couple of months. 

  • Like 7
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

NW Arkansas isn’t as unsophisticated and backwoods as some people assume (not necessarily people here, more in general). They have nice restaurants and bars, arts and culture, shopping and big houses. I don’t see what’s so special  or unique about what Amy’s husband is doing conceptually. He’s positioning it that way - VIP! - but is it really? If he doesn’t have experience in hospitality, I bet it closes in a couple of months. 

Yes, thank you. Really, the Duggars are actually in one of the best parts of the state for access to cultural and educational opportunities, as well as jobs, medical access, and shopping. It's no NYC, but it's not the po-dunk Mayberry the Duggars try to pretend it is. 

  • Like 10
  • Useful 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

I bet it closes in a couple of months. 

If it goes under the same time as Amy's store, I;m sure they'll do some creative accounting to benefit from it all.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Where is the money coming from to open these businesses?

Grandma Mary's estate? She was quite close to Amy and may have left her something.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post

Amy's place was open before Mary died. I think there's money on Dillon's side. Dude hasn't worked a real job since his shop disbanded a few years back. But he has money to burn building monster trucks for SEMA. 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

NW Arkansas isn’t as unsophisticated and backwoods as some people assume (not necessarily people here, more in general). They have nice restaurants and bars, arts and culture, shopping and big houses.

I base my judgments on having visited relatives there and comparing it to other places I've visited and lived.  It isn't the same as many parts of rural AR, but I guess I have to say it's still Arkansas.  NY, LA, etc. it still isn't.  Plus I think Dillon is delusional.

3 hours ago, Zella said:

It's no NYC, but it's not the po-dunk Mayberry the Duggars try to pretend it is. 

Right especially compared to many other parts of the state.  Mt Ida I'm thinking of you.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Right especially compared to many other parts of the state.  Mt Ida I'm thinking of you.

Haha I've never been to Mt. Ida, but I believe you. As someone who has spent most of her life in a rural Arkansas county but did live in Fayetteville at one point, the Duggar narrative about where they live seriously pisses me off.

Like Michelle saying Jinger wanting to live in a big city meant she wanted to be somewhere with a Wal-Mart, as if Wal-Mart was some sort of rare sight where they lived. 

Fucking horseshit, Michelle.

She lived 20 minutes from Wal-Mart headquarters. I just googled how many Wal-Marts were in the NWA area, and I counted about 20 of them between the Bentonville/Rogers/Springdale/Fayetteville area. That's not counting all the Sam's Clubs, too. 

Michelle makes it seem like they have some Little House on the Prairie existence when she's really just minutes away from all sorts of conveniences beyond the joys of Wal-Marts as far as the eye can see. LOL

As someone who lives in an Arkansas county where people really do struggle with the distance from accessible medical facilities and grocery stores, I'm never in the mood for that. 

  • Like 16
  • Useful 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

As someone who lives in an Arkansas county where people really do struggle with the distance from accessible medical facilities and grocery stores, I'm never in the mood for that. 

Yeah, Michelle pretends she lives somewhere like Mt Ida.  It has one "grocery store," a post office, a Subway, and a hardware store.  It used to be close to an hour drive from Hot Springs before they put in a four lane highway.  Hot Springs comes with it's TWO Wal Marts, two hospitals, and some real restaurants.  I have to admit I got the best mango salsa of my life at a Mexican restaurant in Hot Springs that catered to the workers at the race track.  I'm not sure if it's all Michelle or more driven by TLC and/or Jim Bob to pretend they live in the backwoods.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Like 7
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Absolom said:

 I'm not sure if it's all Michelle or more driven by TLC and/or Jim Bob to pretend they live in the backwoods.  

Yeah I'm honestly not sure who drives that--Michelle, JB, or TLC. Maybe some weird fusion?

It's about an hour-and-a-half drive for me to the Fayetteville/Bentonville/Rogers area. Other people where I live drive that distance either there or to Missouri regularly for things like basic grocery shopping and medical appointments and even jobs. 

Speaking of jobs, there's nothing stopping the Duggars from all working at a number of major companies' headquarters just miles away from them, except for their own ignorance and laziness. 

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post

I just had to look up the difference between a baby shower and a baby sprinkle, and whoa are the claws on the Duggar women out.  A sprinkle is supposed to be a lower key affair for a second (or third, etc) child--less money, fewer guests, fewer and cheaper gifts, etc.  I guess none of these Christian women could throw Amy a real baby shower for her first shower.  I wonder how that check is going to be split.  Will someone get Amy's meal or will she have to pay for it?

  • Like 15
  • Surprise 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

*Gasp* Is Lauren the only one not clutching her bump??? Is the world about to end?

But she does have a tassel on it...

But she is standing sideways, and her bump is therefore the most visible at first glance

Although I have to admit, she looks like the best dresses of them all

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×