Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

I see Jackson as a mini James Dean or perhaps that criminal that "Badlands" was based on.  Is he a redhead?  Agree that it's weird he's lumped with the little girls, but wasn't -- whichever of the middle boys it was -- the only boy on the Dill pickle team?

• Love 2

I hope Jill and Derrick are happy. That sure was a surprise as it was so far ahead of the filmed episodes that we just have begun to watch. My question is this: What about Jana? Does this mean that she can finally give up being doula that has obviously been assigned to her to watch Jill when she's away from home? Can Jana go back to her harp playing that she obviously loved? It was apparent to this old lady that Jana's first interest is music, not birthing babies.

• Love 3

What was up with the way Joyless Anna speaks? I think something is wrong with her "R"s, but it was hard to tell. Even TLC thought she needed subtitles! I feel bad for her, though, she seems to not quite fit in with her older sisters, and at 16, she's obviously too old to still be hanging out with the little ones. How awkward and uncomfortable! I'd be joyless, too.

• Love 2

What was up with the way Joyless Anna speaks? I think something is wrong with her "R"s, but it was hard to tell. Even TLC thought she needed subtitles!

Honestly, I think that's just how she speaks. My friend speaks the exact same way. It's just her voice/the way she uses her tongue. I don't think it's a lisp.

It looks like Josiah is attending a second session of Alert camp. I hope it is because he wants to be there or if Boob is forcing him to become more manly.

I suspect this is the Duggar equivalent of sending your kid to boot camp. :( Didn't one of the girls get banished to an ATI thing when she was showing signs of being an independent thinker? Maybe I imagined that...

Okay, true confessions time: I've watched a few episodes, but I don't have everyone's back story.

So can someone please fill me in on the baby, Josie? There have been allusions to her "problems." Are these specific diagnoses, is she known to have a disability, or what?

Many thanks!

When Josie was in the NICU, Jessa took over the homeschooling. I think that is very sad because Jessa wasn't trained to do something like that. Now that Jessa is courting and too distracted to even do the family packing, I wonder who Mullet will promote to SOTDRT teacher.

Interesting.  My son was a very small preemie, as well, but not quite as small and early as Josie.  He was very fortunate to have relatively few health issues as a result.  But he certainly did have developmental delays: didn't start trying to walk until about age 1, was a late crawler, etc.  But that's to be expected.  He also took a long time to potty train and at 3 1/2 was still in pull up diapers (which a doctor chastised me for). So the diaper at 4 thing alone wouldn't be enough for me to conclude she's not getting appropriate care.  But the travel schedule does raise some questions.

The lack of services for Josie royally pisses me off.  Three out of my four kids needed early intervention (Jury is out on #4, she's just learned to walk at 15 months) and I would do it again in a hearbeat.  Michelle would be a hero in my eyes if she actually sought intervention/services for Josie.  Instead of this "Oh there's nothing wrong with one of MY special blessings!" BS.  Remember the episode where one of Josie's NICU room mates visited the Duggars?  His mother got him all the available help she could and he was leaps and bounds above Josie.  Now I know every child develops at their own pace, but good grief the difference was obvious and palpable

• Love 5

Agreed, Ivy.

I just posted in another forum that a friend and her husband adopted a baby from India. At birth, this child was diagnosed with an upper body problem, and the orphanage began working with her at age 2 months to strengthen her arms. Seven months later, when she finally arrived here, the pediatrician's evaluation found no problem. Early intervention really does help, and the lack of it with Josie is very disturbing. Even an all-clear would allow Michelle to say "I told you so" to the doubters, so I don't see a good reason to skip it with Josie.

Mullet probably took Josie to more than one doctors until she found one who told her  miracle baby is fine. The children are her investments, and she has to believe they are perfect to keep selling the dog and pony show.

On the topic of services for Josie.

When their second book came out, Jim Bob wrote that they did not accept government Medicaid for Josie, claiming that they only used private insurance.  Shortly after, people called him on it because micro-preemies automatically receive government insuance coverage at no cost precisely because they will need additional therapy and health services until the age of five and beyond.  You can't "opt out".  Jim Bob claimed, in their book, that they paid out two deductibles of $2500 each because Josie was born 20 days before the end of the year.  But, as someone well-learned  in the Medicaid program pointed out, that was likely for Michelle.  Strangely, Jim Bob claimed that the helicopter ride Michelle took from Springdale to UAMS was not covered by their private insurance and cost him $10,000.  This made no sense as almost any private insurance would cover medically necessary life flights for someone with eclampsia and premature labor.  They, their Duggars, then mentioned Samaritan Health ministries, which wouldn't cover life flight.  So, my theory is that Josie did receive Medicaid, but Jim Bob and Michelle stopped using it.  This was sort of confirmed by another preemie parent at ACH that Josie wasn't participating in the therapy programs she and her own son were utilizing.  Perhaps the distance was too great, but as far as I know, Medicaid provides for in home therapy and intervention using head start.  Since the Duggars homeschool and isolate the kids, Josie is missing out on the available therapies.  Kind of sad.

• Love 3

Micro-preemies are eligible for Medicaid while in the hospital before they go home. They are considered institutionalized and the parental income and resources are therefore not counted. After discharge, parental income and resources are counted and most of the infants then come off Medicaid. Some children could continue if deemed still eligible but it isn't automatic for all. It's based on continuing disability and family income and resources. The therapy isn't usually provided through Medicaid but through state early intervention programs.

• Love 1

I had a micro-preemie 18 years ago, and things might have changed since then, but what Absolom just described was basically what happened in our situation, although Medicaid didn't cover all of it; some of it came from the private insurance we (thankfully) had.  But either way we didn't pay for anything out of pocket except a very small deductible for the insurance part.

We also got social security benefits for our child (about $500 a month, if i remember correctly) for like the first 2 years after he came home.

There's a picture of Josie and Michael at Big Sandy (I think it's on one of their instagrams) and he looks older than her IMO, she over a year older than him (even if you go by her due date).

I noticed that one of the upcoming episodes is titled "Something New" and part of the description is J'Shell spends time with JoyAnna.  Yeah,  For sure that would be something new!!

And no way are they really going to visit a fertility doctor?!  What is God is trying to say "no more kids" to them?  And what happened to the adoption line of b.s.?  I just answered that.  B.S.

• Love 1

Can you imagine the eye daggers that would be hurled at Michelle in the waiting room of a fertility doctor?  

Infertile patient: "how long have you guys been trying."

Michelle: (sad eyes) four years... I just don't understand...

Infertile patient: wow. That's rough.  I hope you get some good news soon.

Michelle:  thanks. You, too.  Oh! Here's a picture of my family, I wrote my phone number on the back in case you want to fellowship and talk about infertility.

Infertile patient:  (speechless)

Even if we believe she just goes to get her hormone levels checked to confirm menopause or something, the fact that she needs to double check with lab work is asinine.  She's pushing 50!

Edited by wanderwoman

The one Duggar that breaks my heart is Poor Jordyn. Since Josie was born just before her first birthday, she just seems lost. I remember episodes where she was seen roaming the living room of the TTH alone, climbing that open staircase and crawling back down. again alone, being stuck in that attach a high chair to the table thing, again alone. I know that Jessa is her buddy, but Jessa is not the best sister mom. I remember her running after Michelle because she was hungry and Michelle told her to ask Jana. Another time when she was hungry her buddy Justin fixed her some instant oatmeal with tap water. I can't forget her eating an empty ice cream cone for lunch when the family was rushing out the door apparently forgetting to feed the littles. I also remember her trying to get Michelle to read to her but Michelle had more important things to say and completely ignored Jordyn. The funny thing is when I rewatched those episodes on Netflix, most of the Jordyn being ignored scenes were edited out.

I often wonder if most of Jordyn's speech delays are because she gets so little adult interaction.

• Love 1

Jenny's got new glasses y'all! And not fakeity-fake ones like Hannie wore at the skating rink during the last episode. I saw a pic on Famy's Instagram with a different cast of characters and she is wearing the glasses there as well. I guess she was falling so far behind in her Wisdom Book studies that SOMEONE finally decided to take her to a doctor.

http://instagram.com/p/njAwYsGldR/#

The purple frames are adorable!

As for Joy, take off that stupid shirt. You did NOT "survive" Roe v. Wade. There was no choice involved when Mullet was pregnant that she would have her 9th baby (poor Joy, she and the boy twins are pretty much the Jan Bradys of the Duggar clan).

I recently saw an older episode on TV, and Joy Anna didn't speak with that "impediment". She sounded more clear than she has recently. Do you think she is adjusting to invisalign braces? You know how orthodontic obsessed those Duggars are, but when the kids were younger, their dental hygiene, left so much to be desired.... Also, can't help but notice the condition that Queen Michelle's hair is in,; it is in serious need of deep conditioning, and needs a lot lopped off to help it out. I imagine she's overcompensating for that "makeover" she got for her birthday..... uh, which she looked years younger when her friend was done with her... too bad she thinks she's a natural beauty at this stage of her life....sorry to disappoint her, but she underplays her appearance, while puffing out her ego....

• Love 1

Are you smoking crack? Of course, Mother's Day will be all about Michelle. After all she could have died birthing them. It will be a day that she will be pampered, cooked for etc.

• Love 3

So, Lillybee, what you're trying to say is that is will be just a regular day around the Duggar house for Michelle...I'm sorry to say that I think Grandma Duggar will be left in the dust, as usual for her, too, OR, she'll be too busy in the laundry room for anyone to remember that she is even there... Shame on JimBob for ignoring his own mother...she won't be around forever. Happy Mothers Day to all you moms out there, and also to Jana and Jill.

Has anyone noticed that Michelle never speaks of her own mother? It's as if she is was never there in Michelle's life. In her Mothers' Day video, she only speaks of what is done for her, nothing about what she is doing for her mother in law or has ever done for the poor woman or what her favorite memory of doing for her mother . I don't think she did anything for her own mother.. she was too busy, dating, cheerleading, then repenting with JimBob  for being a normal teen.

• Love 2

Yes, you are right, she never says anything about her own mother. 

For anyone new to the Duggars that does not follow them closely, J'Chelle admitted to stop being a full time mom back after the first set of twins were born and she had a nervous breakdown of sorts.   Knowing that they then planned on leaving it up to God as to how many blessings they would have, they came up with the buddy system to save her from a life of slavery

• Love 1

So, Mr. MattyMatt, who is going to save Jana and Jill from a life of slavery? It's a shame they dumped Michelle's responsibilities on their own daughters. This breakdown she had, and I understand they do happen and it isn't something to shrug off, happened 24 years ago...I think she could have recovered SOME from that. It's contradictory to suffer a breakdown after the guilt of birth control causing a spontaneous miscarriage, then having twins after that... so, why in the heck would someone choose to have MORE kids after that? If too many children to care for overwhelmed her, why have many, many, more? They are filled with contradictions.. I, also, need to check at the library for a copy of their book and read up on the history...Those two are a pair..

• Love 1
(edited)

According to Wikipedia (valid?) Garrett Floyde Ruark Michelle's father 1924–2010 (aged 85); (appeared in one episode)
Ethel Ruark Michelle's mother 1927–1991 (aged 64) And Michelle has 6 siblings.

Edited by ginger90

I sure hope they did something nice for Grandma Duggar.  But knowing her penny pinching son, he probably picked some wildflowers (free!) and let her have an extra helping of tater tot casserole.  With a homemade card, of course.  JimBoob indeed.

• Love 2

I know she is not a Duggar Kid but Cousin Amy- (who I think is a hoot.) wears pants and does not seem to fallow the same beliefs the rest of the family does. She is the Daughter of Jim Bob's Brother? I have never seen her parents that I can remember?