Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

13 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

She wears jeans to church? The (lack of) color of that shirt does her no favors at all.

And she couldn't have ironed it?

Also, what's up with those sleeves? Maybe she's only wearing it to church then changing, but I can't imagine trying to eat while wearing that without dragging the sleeves through cream of glop. God forbid she tries to actually cook while wearing it - she'd set herself on fire!

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 13
15 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

She wears jeans to church? The (lack of) color of that shirt does her no favors at all.

A lot of modern churches have a come-as-you-are dress code. I think it’s getting kind of unusual to get dressed up for church. 

• Love 14

The sleeves on that shirt are too long on Jill and should be altered. The cuffs pass her wrists by quite a bit. But, since she apparently doesn’t know how to iron, alterations are probably foreign to her. 

I’ll bet Jinger could make that shirt work with some of her styling magic, though!  The house 

• Love 3

The outfit is totally average and uninspiring. Not a great ad for Amy’s store!  I don’t see anything unique or special being modeled here that you couldn’t get on amazon or at target. 

• Love 18

It makes me wonder if that shirt was fairly wrinkled when she bought it.  Those clothes from China usually come heavily packaged and need to be steamed before being displayed on racks in the store.  I used to work steaming endless boxes of clothes at a big department store for just one ladies department and every shipment took hours.   I can't see Famy finding that kind of work too glamorous, so she either skips it or hired someone to do it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

I look at that shirt and all I can think is "But, I don't want to be a pirate!"  Of course Duggars do enjoy pirate play, so maybe she is just belatedly joining in on the pirate "fun" that Derick and Izzy were having.  

• LOL 6
  • Love 7
14 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

A lot of modern churches have a come-as-you-are dress code. I think it’s getting kind of unusual to get dressed up for church. 

My church has one casual Sunday each month where you can wear jeans, although they wouldn’t turn you away if you wore them any other time.  Jeans are a lot nicer than they used to be.  I always understood “come as you are” to be about your spiritual condition as well as your physical appearance.  On one hand, I do believe you should put your best foot forward for God, or at least put effort into your appearance. OTOH, it is nice to comfy in jeans and a nice sweater during winter months. Out sanctuary is usually meat locker cold!

I can’t fault Jill for the jeans but like everyone else I could slap her for not properly ironing.  Magic Sizing is like $2 and a good iron is worth it’s weight in gold.

I wish someone would introduce Jill to jewel tones. That shirt is meh to me, but if it were eggplant, claret, navy, dark green, etc. I think she would have looked very nice.  

• Love 13

At least Jill wasn't wearing some bagged-out shapeless knit top that somebody bought at Goodwill ten years ago.

I agree, the color of that shirt does nothing good for her. Also the sleeves are too long, although maybe she could adjust the cuffs somehow to not fall halfway down her hands. IMO that look is annoying AF. (See, for example, Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, whose shirt cuffs I always itched to fasten or roll up.)

I think Jill mentioned the wind blowing because there's a clump of fabric you can see at the bottom of the shirt in that photo, behind her right hand, which I think was blown there by the wind. And about the ironing. I think someone, either at Amy's store or at Jill's house, did iron or steam the packing wrinkles out of that shirt. The wrinkles on display in that photo look like what you get from wearing the shirt - sitting in it, using your arms, etc. There are pleats running down from the shoulders, and that area doesn't look all wrinkly. 

What that tells me is that it's cr*p fabric that I wouldn't enjoy wearing. You can put it on all nice and fresh and an hour later you look like you wore it alligator wrestling and then while taking a restorative nap. In stores, I always grab the sleeve of a garment and crunch it up in my fist, really tight, then let it go. If it shows wrinkles, I know what I'm in for.  I usually pass on it but if I'm in love with the style I might buy it but at least I know what to expect. (Yes, I know. 100% linen is notorious for wrinkling like crazy but somehow I doubt Jill's wearing anything that upscale. Just saying.)

Poor Jill is pretty clueless and IMO is just one of those people without much innate fashion sense. Nothing wrong with that, but in her case I think she hasn't had anyone to really show her the way. Maybe she's slowly getting the idea that she could benefit from fashion advice. Too bad if it's from Famy.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 1
  • Love 12

Of course famy gave Jill several choices, and she loves the frumpiest, most shapeless, most colorless of them all. That black dress that Famy sent her would be great to wear to church, or even that navy shirt with flowers. I wonder why in the world famy sent her this. Maybe she just went through the shop looking for "modest" items that she knew would fit Jill's dress code. 

I attend a church that is super formal. My dad, and most men, wears a suit and tie every week. Women always wear dresses, except possibly when it's really cold or snowy. Then, dress pants are acceptable, or a skirt with leggings. One time I wore a pair of nice pink capris, and I felt like they were questionable. Nobody would ever consider wearing jeans, though people wear them to church functions like choir practice, fellowship meals, bible studies, etc. I've always found it so odd that the duggars are basically the opposite of this in every way. Their religion insists they wear skirts, but then they wear those crappy jean skirts to worship in. They follow the rules as informally as they possibly can, which kind of seems irreverent in a house of worship to me. They don't put any more effort into worship than they do in everyday life. Yet, my church doesn't care whatsoever what we wearing outside of church, but people take it up several notches to attend worship. Plus, I've never understood why Michelle thinks they all look so ladylike. Someone like lauren dresses in a ladylike way IMO, and sometimes Jinger and jana. I've never understood how a frumpy oversized t-shirt and denim skirt is the epitome of feminine!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

Like most of Amy's clothing, Jill's shirt look very 90s. I can't come up with a reference for it, but it does. 

The fabric seems deliberately crinkly. 

Six, from Blossom?

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
6 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Me too! I hate to iron..I had to do way too much when I was younger. (We had 7 kids in my family) We used to have to sprinkle our clothes with a sprinkler cap pushed into a soda pop bottle (I'm old)😁

OT, but does anyone else remember these?

Maybe don't buy clothes that will wrinkle easily if you're not going to iron, Jill.

rps20190211_113416.jpg

My mother used one of these!  She ironed a lot when I was growing up.  Mom had the attitude that my sister and I couldn't do it as well as she did, so we escaped ironing and a lot of household chores that one of my good friends was expected to do.  

Yes, beige is her favorite color in recipes, so it seems natural for her to wear it.  At least it doesn't have obvious holes, like the t-shirt Dillweed once wore, that looked like the armpits had rotted out.

• Love 3

CN.        

8 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Me too! I hate to iron..I had to do way too much when I was younger. (We had 7 kids in my family) We used to have to sprinkle our clothes with a sprinkler cap pushed into a soda pop bottle (I'm old)😁

OT, but does anyone else remember these?

Maybe don't buy clothes that will wrinkle easily if you're not going to iron, Jill.

rps20190211_113416.jpg

We had one of these. Green bottle too. It was so awesome when irons started having sprayers. 

I own an iron but I’m all knits all the time these days. Except jeans. My iron gathers dust and I’m not sorry. 

• Love 9

The unfortunate blouse would be a pain to iron because of its gathered design and cheap synthetic fabric. The sleeves are much too long to look good or be practical. The sad thing is that Jill posted this photo showcasing the shirt without realizing what a fail it all is. 

That said, it's sold out on the store's website. Maybe Jilly Dilly is an influencer after all. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

I am old, too.  My mom had one of these sprinkler caps inserted into a green 7-up bottle; I hadn't thought of it in decades.  My iron is semi-retired.  This looks like one of those horrid shirts that when you iron the back after you iron the front you hold it up only to realize the front has wrinkled again.   I had the cutest skirt that was cotton with a lot of rick-rack; it was impossible to keep it nicely ironed so I donated it, but kept the adorable blouse that came with it. 

As to that blouse---Jill, it doesn't belong in your color wheel.   If you have to wear it, get some bright earrings and a necklace or scarf.  Keep that color away from your face.

For years I liked to wear white blouses; ivory looks awful with my skin tone.   Then it seemed like overnight, I aged.  Now white washes me out something awful unless I add a scarf or a really colorful necklace and earrings.  

• Love 3
8 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

The unfortunate blouse would be a pain to iron because of its gathered design and cheap synthetic fabric. The sleeves are much too long to look good or be practical. The sad thing is that Jill posted this photo showcasing the shirt without realizing what a fail it all is. 

That said, it's sold out on the store's website. Maybe Jilly Dilly is an influencer after all. 

The cuffs could be fixed by simply moving the button over a tad.  Jana could do that in about 5 minutes.  Jill?  Never. 

More likely Amy only ordered 3 shirts, 1 each of small, medium & large.    The one Jill is wearing looks a size too large.  And I don't think that's a crinkle gauze fabric with cotton in it, looks like a pure poly.  But the kind you cannot get wrinkles out of, no matter how much steam you use. 

I think we've all had those poly shower curtains that NOTHING could get the creases out of.  

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I don't think that's a crinkle gauze fabric with cotton in it, looks like a pure poly.  But the kind you cannot get wrinkles out of, no matter how much steam you use. 

I think we've all had those poly shower curtains that NOTHING could get the creases out of.  

I agree. I have some cotton and cotton-blend crinkle fabric shirts. They don't look like the fabric in Jill's shirt. Mine aren't a lightweight "gauze" but more of a normal shirt weight. The fabric has an overall texture, but it doesn't get creases from sitting etc., when worn. (They weren't cheapo's to start with although I'm big on shopping sales and even found one of them at Goodwill, lol.) However I don't do broomstick skirts. Never have,  never will. Just saying.

I've looked through this forum this morning. Jill may not be getting any more TLC cash, but I think her silly shirt has drawn about as much comment as last night's season premiere episode of the show she's no longer on. #notorietyisthebestrevenge

• Love 4

At $28, this blouse was on the low end of the store's blouse selection, and Amy made some money on the markup. The fabric would melt before those wrinkles ironed out. 

The shirt fits Jill across the bust and more or less in the shoulders. The sleeves are designed for someone much taller. It would probably fit Dereck, and the color suits his dour personality.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 6
13 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Uh, Valentine's Day is tomorrow, you idiots.

But it's cheaper to have them delivered today. The apple married someone who reminded her of her dad and his cheapass tree.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10

Geezus, spend five bucks and have them delivered on the proper day. It would have been a compliment to whatever "date night" they'll be overpaying for tomorrow. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
Piper is not proper
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5
32 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

But it's cheaper to have them delivered today. The apple married someone who reminded her of her dad and his cheapass tree.

I bought my MIL (she lives in a nursing home) gorgeous yellow roses from Target, for $19.99.  I bet it costs way more having flowers delivered.  All grocery stores sell lovely, affordable flowers.  And Derick doesn't even work!

• Love 11

Why is there a smiley face in the middle of Derick's note? 

Also, blah. I'd be vaugely disappointed if my (currently nonexistent) husband got me red roses for Valentine's. I'd appreciate the flowers, but what a totally expected, basic gesture. (And I'm as basic add they come. Pumpkin spice and leggings all the way.) At least put some imagination into it, though maybe Jill looooves red roses. 

Edited by McManda
  • Love 6

Im happy with any flowers, even basic red roses!

It is odd to me he had them delivered to the house ( unless he is traveling?). It would be far cheaper to go to the florist/grocery store and pick some up.

Also weird he had them delivered on the day before....

• Love 11
8 hours ago, kaleidoscope said:

Have we heard anything about how second semester is going in law school?  No pictures have been posted of Derick in class, Jill bringing picnic lunches, Derick in the library, or Becky in the third row:)  It's been REALLY quiet.

And when the Duggars go quiet, it means something's up. I doubt that he flunked out or officially quit. If that was the case, somebody would have unearthed it by now. But it's possible that he's simply grown bored with law school. The novelty has worn off, it isn't fun any more, and he's just going through the motions until he can figure out what the next move will be. He probably thinks that if he and Jill don't talk about law school and pretend it never happened, people will stop asking about it and embrace him again when he announces what the Lord has called him to do next.

That tactic worked for them in the past. When they returned from Danger America, they pretended at first that they eventually going back (and solicited donations for their ministry), but then they just went silent and after a while everyone just seemed to stop asking about it. Then, Derick unveiled his big plan to attend law school and they were off to the races again.

• Love 18
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Geezus, spend five bucks and have them delivered on the proper day. It would have been a compliment to whatever "date night" they'll be overpaying for tomorrow. 

Domino's in the front seat of the car? Maybe Derrick will remember to play their engagement song on the radio.

I bought my MIL (she lives in a nursing home) gorgeous yellow roses from Target, for $19.99.

My local grocery store sell roses for $1/each on Valentines Day, and yeah, he's not busy. Derrick is a Duggar now - didn't they celebrate two days early? For some reason? He must feel like he's running late.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

Im happy with any flowers, even basic red roses!

It is odd to me he had them delivered to the house ( unless he is traveling?). It would be far cheaper to go to the florist/grocery store and pick some up.

Also weird he had them delivered on the day before....

Yeah, but he had set up this elaborate thing. He wrote a mushy love note and hid it in the living room, and then wrote a card to be delivered with the flowers that told her where to look for the love note. So the delivery was critical to the plan.

Nicely timed, a day in advance, for Jill to IG it on Valentine's Day. A nice change from beige food and beige clothes. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, dariafan said:

I just saw a Cambells cream of chicken soup commercials and all the recipes they showed looked so much better than anything Jill has posted.    She could try a little harder 

It’s not the COM soup (which coincidentally is the same color as that wretched tunic) that makes Jill’s food unappealing.  It’s the fact that she doesn’t appear to be a very good cook.  Seasoning, fresh ingredients and variety are foreign concepts to her. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, McManda said:

Why is there a smiley face in the middle of Derick's note? 

Also, blah. I'd be vaugely disappointed if my (currently nonexistent) husband got me red roses for Valentine's. I'd appreciate the flowers, but what a totally expected, basic gesture. (And I'm as basic add they come. Pumpkin spice and leggings all the way.) At least put some imagination into it, though maybe Jill looooves red roses. 

I'm not that into flowers and my husband knows that. I like them but then I have to find a vase and then I will need to worry that our kitten will try to eat them (and he will). We are going out for dinner this weekend. That is gift enough for me. 

• Love 7
13 hours ago, McManda said:

At least put some imagination into it, though maybe Jill looooves red roses.

Considering that Jill herself lacks imagination and also considering who she is married to, methinks the bar is set pretty low and she takes what she can get. #besthubbyever #nootherchoice

• Love 13
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I'm not that into flowers and my husband knows that. I like them but then I have to find a vase and then I will need to worry that our kitten will try to eat them (and he will). We are going out for dinner this weekend. That is gift enough for me. 

I like flowers but like you my cat eats them so they have to stay outside on our porch.  I got a gorgeous bouquet of tulips for my bday and it was such a shame they had to stay outside.  I am cool with whatever my husband does in regards to holidays like this.  It is the thought so I can't bring myself to be picky or think he did less than.

• Love 13