Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

Mr. Cathy looks like such a sad sack.  Eeyore personality for sure.

I wonder if Cathy is helping out Jill and Derick financially, and that's a huge point of contention in the Bynums' marriage. Mr. Bynum always looks annoyed around Derick and Jill, which would be a normal reaction to two grown adults who refuse to work and support themselves. At this stage, I have to believe it's something more than Mr. Bynum having a general distaste for the Duggar circus. 

• Love 16
23 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

That would make me stabby as well.

Unless the kids came up with it themselves, because then I bet he likes it.  My mother hated her nickname from her MIL, but when her own nieces and nephews (other side) inadvertently used it with "Aunt" preceding it, she changed her mind.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Normades said:

Yes. They are THAT CLUELESS!!  It looked like Jill was astounded that both the moon and the sun could be visible at the same time.  I'm sure she'll be a great science teacher to her kids, tho.

That's exactly what it looked like! 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I wonder if Cathy is helping out Jill and Derick financially, and that's a huge point of contention in the Bynums' marriage. Mr. Bynum always looks annoyed around Derick and Jill, which would be a normal reaction to two grown adults who refuse to work and support themselves. At this stage, I have to believe it's something more than Mr. Bynum having a general distaste for the Duggar circus. 

I can see it!!! I think it's so stupid that the Duggar girls aren't allowed to work under any circumstances because Mommy and Daddy said so. In the real world, this would not be an attractive package. I'm thinking that the Duggar females would never have attracted any somewhat mainstream men without teevee...in fact, no one would have wanted any part of that without having grown up IBLP. I am super pro SAHM, but even the most conservative women out there will work before they have kids, while their husband is in school, or if they really need to just to afford a nice life. 

I would be sooo leery of encouraging my hypothetical son to marry a Duggar girl, because if he gets laid off, can't find a well paying job, goes back to school, or insists on having 20 kids, she will not even consider working. It's a non-negotiable. And the worst part is that it's not even that she truly believes in being a SAHM, or gets any joy from it, or is any good at it. Someone like Jill is so obviously unhappy with her role in life, annnnd she is not allowed to contribute financially. Plus, even if they wanted to get jobs, they're so woefully uneducated. Even the laziest, least smart, least driven woman who grew up in the mainstream world would be a more contributing partner than them. 

It's such a shame. I would probably rather my hypothetical son marry Jana, since she's a good homemaker, seems to like it, and is too old to have tooooo many kids. If my son was a solid provider, I might feel okay about it. If my son married Jessa, I'd feel sad about her wasted potential out in the workforce. If he married Jinger, I'd worry because she is just so helpless. Joy is able to help out Austin, but she'd probably be similar to Jinger if her husband had an office job. 

But Jill is the absolute worst. She will never, ever question the doctrine she grew up with, AND seems to dislike being a SAHM. I'd hate for my son (who is no prize btw) to be with someone who is obviously unhappy in the home and is not allowed to bring in a paycheck. That literally gives them a zero percent shot at happiness, because if she could get a job she liked, and they had money coming in, they might have a real chance to be happy. I'm only hoping that Jill likes being home with her kids more as they get older, like her buddy team, and doesn't have any more. 

But yeah, I would be piiiiisssssed if I had to hand over my hard earned money to my lazy son / stepson because neither of them will work. It's literally like Jill is holding a gun to their heads, because she isn't "allowed" to work, yet they need money (and Derick isn't a provider). I may even feel a little better handing over the money if Jill was the mommy type who just lived and breathed being home with the kids, but doing it in spite of Jill's blase attitude, because JB and Michelle decree their pure daughters would be tainted by the workforce, would be a hard pill to swallow. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 17
7 hours ago, queenanne said:

Unless the kids came up with it themselves, because then I bet he likes it. 

Good point! I could never have predicted that I'd love being called "Ninny." Grandparenting has turned me to mush! 

• Love 13

New blog post:

Mom’s Stuffed Mushrooms

Jan 14, 2019 | Recipes | 0 

My mother-in-law made these mushrooms for us at Christmas and said this recipe was the first she made and took to an event after she and Rick (Derick’s dad) were married. They are delicious!

1 lb. medium mushrooms (about 3 dozen)

3 T. butter 

1/4 C. finely chopped green bell pepper

1/4 C. finely chopped onion

1 1/2 C. bread (cut into tiny squares) 

1/2 t. salt

1/2 t. thyme

1/4 t. turmeric

1/4 t. pepper

1 T. butter

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Wash, trim and dry mushrooms thoroughly. Remove stems; finely chop enough stems to measure 1/3 cup (you won’t use the extras).

Melt 3 T. butter in skillet. Cook and stir chopped mushroom stems, green pepper, and onion in butter about 5 min. or until tender. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients, except mushroom caps and 1 T. butter.

Melt 1 T. butter in shallow baking dish. Fill mushroom caps with stuffing mixture; place mushrooms filled side up in baking dish. Bake 15 min. 

Set oven control at broil and/or 550 degrees. Broil mushrooms for 2 min. 3 to 4 inches from heat.

344B735F-9C8B-46FD-9865-FAAA0E662444.jpeg

• Love 5

I was just about to type the same thing!

Actually, these look pretty good, maybe it's because it's Cathy's recipe. My only aesthetic criticism is the green in the vegetables next to the green mat (I would have put the mushrooms on a white plate), but the mushrooms themselves look pretty good. 

• Love 2

Motherhood is obviously not how Jill thought it would be.  She had 2 active (and totally precious) little boys.  Her sisters have having their very own families , so none of the help she was more than likely expecting. And from how Derick try’s to get away at any chance , she is not as adored as Michelle is.    She needs to mature and figure out who she is 

• Love 10
Just now, madpsych78 said:

I was just about to type the same thing!

Actually, these look pretty good, maybe it's because it's Cathy's recipe. My only aesthetic criticism is the green in the vegetables next to the green mat (I would have put the mushrooms on a white plate), but the mushrooms themselves look pretty good. 

Me too, I love anything mushroom and these look good.  Well, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes.  A stopped clock is right twice a day...

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

New blog post:

Mom’s Stuffed Mushrooms

Jan 14, 2019 | Recipes | 0 

My mother-in-law made these mushrooms for us at Christmas and said this recipe was the first she made and took to an event after she and Rick (Derick’s dad) were married. They are delicious!

1 lb. medium mushrooms (about 3 dozen)

3 T. butter 

1/4 C. finely chopped green bell pepper

1/4 C. finely chopped onion

1 1/2 C. bread (cut into tiny squares) 

1/2 t. salt

1/2 t. thyme

1/4 t. turmeric

1/4 t. pepper

1 T. butter

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Wash, trim and dry mushrooms thoroughly. Remove stems; finely chop enough stems to measure 1/3 cup (you won’t use the extras).

Melt 3 T. butter in skillet. Cook and stir chopped mushroom stems, green pepper, and onion in butter about 5 min. or until tender. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients, except mushroom caps and 1 T. butter.

Melt 1 T. butter in shallow baking dish. Fill mushroom caps with stuffing mixture; place mushrooms filled side up in baking dish. Bake 15 min. 

Set oven control at broil and/or 550 degrees. Broil mushrooms for 2 min. 3 to 4 inches from heat.

344B735F-9C8B-46FD-9865-FAAA0E662444.jpeg

Um...where's the cream of something soup? Clearly a Duggar didn't invent this. 

• Love 19
18 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

I love stuffed mushrooms.

And its an actual REAL recipe! 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 2

Jill also made spaghetti pie again, so that negates anything good she might have done with the mushrooms. Sadly, the screenshot is too big for the forum. It's in her instastories, complete with an arrow pointing to Derelict that says "handsome." 

I almost puked.

• Love 17

A decent recipe, but a horrible photo. Can't she put them on a *clean* white plate to photograph them? Or clean the random bits of stuff off the green surface before she takes the shot? Yeesh.

• Love 18
4 minutes ago, Totally said:

What is broil?

Cooking at a high temp in the oven, close to the upper heating element.  Broiling steaks or fish or other pieces of meat is the most common use of it.  It's sort of like upside-down grilling

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I can see it!!! I think it's so stupid that the Duggar girls aren't allowed to work under any circumstances because Mommy and Daddy said so. In the real world, this would not be an attractive package. I'm thinking that the Duggar females would never have attracted any somewhat mainstream men without teevee...in fact, no one would have wanted any part of that without having grown up IBLP. I am super pro SAHM, but even the most conservative women out there will work before they have kids, while their husband is in school, or if they really need to just to afford a nice life. 

I would be sooo leery of encouraging my hypothetical son to marry a Duggar girl, because if he gets laid off, can't find a well paying job, goes back to school, or insists on having 20 kids, she will not even consider working. It's a non-negotiable. And the worst part is that it's not even that she truly believes in being a SAHM, or gets any joy from it, or is any good at it. Someone like Jill is so obviously unhappy with her role in life, annnnd she is not allowed to contribute financially. Plus, even if they wanted to get jobs, they're so woefully uneducated. Even the laziest, least smart, least driven woman who grew up in the mainstream world would be a more contributing partner than them. 

It's such a shame. I would probably rather my hypothetical son marry Jana, since she's a good homemaker, seems to like it, and is too old to have tooooo many kids. If my son was a solid provider, I might feel okay about it. If my son married Jessa, I'd feel sad about her wasted potential out in the workforce. If he married Jinger, I'd worry because she is just so helpless. Joy is able to help out Austin, but she'd probably be similar to Jinger if her husband had an office job. 

But Jill is the absolute worst. She will never, ever question the doctrine she grew up with, AND seems to dislike being a SAHM. I'd hate for my son (who is no prize btw) to be with someone who is obviously unhappy in the home and is not allowed to bring in a paycheck. That literally gives them a zero percent shot at happiness, because if she could get a job she liked, and they had money coming in, they might have a real chance to be happy. I'm only hoping that Jill likes being home with her kids more as they get older, like her buddy team, and doesn't have any more. 

But yeah, I would be piiiiisssssed if I had to hand over my hard earned money to my lazy son / stepson because neither of them will work. It's literally like Jill is holding a gun to their heads, because she isn't "allowed" to work, yet they need money (and Derick isn't a provider). I may even feel a little better handing over the money if Jill was the mommy type who just lived and breathed being home with the kids, but doing it in spite of Jill's blase attitude, because JB and Michelle decree their pure daughters would be tainted by the workforce, would be a hard pill to swallow. 

I agree with a lot of your post.

The only thing I’m say, no matter if they choose to have 2 children or 20 children, they need to be cared for. Even if Jill would get a job while Derick goes to school, childcare would break them. If Jill hates being a SAHM (I agree, she doesn’t like it) going to work part time wouldn’t provide an income, the money would go to childcare.

If Jill was allowed to ever get a job, it would be self-fulfilling, not for money. 

Many people I know kept their jobs after children and bring practically nothing home financially but leaving their job creates other challenges. For example, I left my job as a teacher to be at home and my husband is self employed. (I’d be bringing home less than $7,000 a year after childcare, gas, commuting, clothes, etc if I kept working) I’ve been home now 5 years, haven’t done anything to continue my credits I need to maintain my teaching credentials, I’m so out of the loop that going back would be very difficult. I’m basiacally an undesirable candidate anymore. This is a job that pays well and I was well qualified for! I had a girlfriend keep her job, again bringing nothing home financially, but said that in 5-7 years she has so much growth potential at her job that leaving would jeopardize climbing the corporate ladder. Then helping to provide a nice life for their family. 

The worst part is that neither Jill or Derick have any goals or aspirations. Sure, Derick is in school now, but I doubt he will ever actually use a degree, if he gets it. It’s disgusting if his mom is providing for them at all even if Jill worked. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jill also made spaghetti pie again, so that negates anything good she might have done with the mushrooms. Sadly, the screenshot is too big for the forum. It's in her instastories, complete with an arrow pointing to Derelict that says "handsome." 

I almost puked.

ED113B88-9FE8-4E29-951B-532F06DB6E99.jpeg

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Ugh, thanks for finding it, I guess. 😐

(Not sure why I couldn't upload. I have uploaded screenshots before)

Please accept my apology!

I just made it a pinch smaller. Happens sometimes quite randomly!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Farmfam said:

I agree with a lot of your post.

The only thing I’m say, no matter if they choose to have 2 children or 20 children, they need to be cared for. Even if Jill would get a job while Derick goes to school, childcare would break them. If Jill hates being a SAHM (I agree, she doesn’t like it) going to work part time wouldn’t provide an income, the money would go to childcare.

If Jill was allowed to ever get a job, it would be self-fulfilling, not for money. 

Many people I know kept their jobs after children and bring practically nothing home financially but leaving their job creates other challenges. For example, I left my job as a teacher to be at home and my husband is self employed. (I’d be bringing home less than $7,000 a year after childcare, gas, commuting, clothes, etc if I kept working) I’ve been home now 5 years, haven’t done anything to continue my credits I need to maintain my teaching credentials, I’m so out of the loop that going back would be very difficult. I’m basiacally an undesirable candidate anymore. This is a job that pays well and I was well qualified for! I had a girlfriend keep her job, again bringing nothing home financially, but said that in 5-7 years she has so much growth potential at her job that leaving would jeopardize climbing the corporate ladder. Then helping to provide a nice life for their family. 

The worst part is that neither Jill or Derick have any goals or aspirations. Sure, Derick is in school now, but I doubt he will ever actually use a degree, if he gets it. It’s disgusting if his mom is providing for them at all even if Jill worked. 

Come to NC!!! We have a teacher shortage, and people are easily able to stay home and then come back in a few years. Unfortunately, we have the teacher shortage because we are 49th in pay, don't allow unions, basically sign all our rights away to be employed, don't have tenure, don't have masters pay, and can be fired at will without cause. We also don't get compensated for any after school events we do, and teacher assistants can't even get comp time. Music teachers don't get comp time for any of our after school rehearsals or concerts because "it's part of our job." We also have a horrible pay scale for admins, and a lot of them are making less than teachers  

Sounds like a paradise, doesn't it? 😜

• Love 9
Just now, Christina87 said:

Come to NC!!! We have a teacher shortage, and people are easily able to stay home and then come back in a few years. Unfortunately, we have the teacher shortage because we are 49th in pay, don't allow unions, basically sign all our rights away to be employed, don't have tenure, don't have masters pay, and can be fired at will without cause. We also don't get compensated for any after school events we do, and teacher assistants can't even get comp time. Music teachers don't get comp time for any of our after school rehearsals or concerts because "it's part of our job." We also have a horrible pay scale for admins, and a lot of them are making less than teachers  

Sounds like Duggar paradise. Destroy those evil non-home-non-Gothard schools! They're obviously tools of the Devil! 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I almost puked.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the spaghetti pie is one of Jill's best recipes. I would actually eat it because at least it doesn't contain a canned soup. Of course, it's not great for you, but I don't think it looks totally barf worthy. I do side eye them super hard, because you know Jill probably makes it twice a week, and that is a lot of calories!

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Sounds like I’ve been doing life in the wrong state all these years! Although, your climate is generally warmer which I would appreciate! 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think the spaghetti pie is one of Jill's best recipes. I would actually eat it because at least it doesn't contain a canned soup. Of course, it's not great for you, but I don't think it looks totally barf worthy. I do side eye them super hard, because you know Jill probably makes it twice a week, and that is a lot of calories!

I thought Mr. Handsome to be more barfworthy. 

• Love 14

I love stuffed mushrooms, but I've never had them without crabmeat or some other seafood (shrimp, crawfish) as part of the stuffing. They're an appetizer staple in many Louisiana restaurants. Having said that, I'm turned off by mushrooms when I have to wash and prepare them myself. That underside really skeeves me out. 

• Love 4

Just saw the pic of Izzy's new bed.  Was he in a crib until recently?  Just curious because he seems big (in size and age) to have been in a crib.  Then again, my son was done with his crib early (18 months) so maybe he's the strange one.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, lucy711 said:

Just saw the pic of Izzy's new bed.  Was he in a crib until recently?  Just curious because he seems big (in size and age) to have been in a crib.  Then again, my son was done with his crib early (18 months) so maybe he's the strange one.

Isn't Izzy almost four? I agree that he's too old for a crib. Was he sleeping on the floor with an air mattress (one was seen in one of Jill's posts)? But then where did they get the crib mattress for his new bed? 

My kids were all in beds between eighteen months and two years old.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Me too, I love anything mushroom and these look good.  Well, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn sometimes.  A stopped clock is right twice a day...

I adore anything mushroom as well...I made some last night for a "munchie dinner" while Mr. Jyn, daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter were over to watch the Patriots game (well, granddaughter doesn't exactly watch the game at 9 months, but I suspect than in another year she will probably have a better grasp of football than I do to this day - so I get to play in the kitchen while they watch).

This was one of my favorite stuffed mushroom recipes, which I adapted from an appetizer pizza recipe, and is also great on baguette slices or whatever...saute thinly sliced onion with butter, salt, pepper and finely chopped fresh rosemary (though I find that a good sprinkle of poultry seasoning works just as well or better), adding in a bit of sherry toward the end and letting it cook down. Fill precooked mushroom caps with onion, then top with gorgonzola or other blue cheese and return to oven until cheese is melty.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Cooking at a high temp in the oven, close to the upper heating element.  Broiling steaks or fish or other pieces of meat is the most common use of it.  It's sort of like upside-down grilling

Thank you

That’s what we call grilling ... I thought broil had something to do with boiling or oil😳

• Love 3