Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

Isn't this the guy that got kicked off his show for bashing gay people? Funny how they think gay/trans people not having certain human rights is the same as having a disagreement with someone. This idiot keeps playing the persecuted Christian card.

On Twitter he liked the Fox news article that mentioned TLC cutting ties with him and it was full of assholes like him calling Jazz mentally ill. He also liked the TLC announcement saying that he was off the show. The rest of the Duggar clan has been quiet on social media. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, lascuba said:

Jessa doesn't really like attention that much, though. She wants it in terms of ratings and possibilities of paid speaking gigs, of course, but not enough to deal with any kind of large scale speculation. Wearing pants is a huge change from what her family has always stated was the correct way to dress, and it would drive her nuts to have the internet going on and on about what it must mean that she wears pants now. I think that's why we never saw her in pants after that time in board shorts by the pool (which, I think, was the very first time a Duggar girl wore pants outside the home). If it hadn't been treated as such a big deal, I think she would be publicly wearing pants semi-regularly by now. If she ever does wear pants in public (because I'm convinced they all wear them in private), it will be after so many of the girls wear pants that no one comments on it anymore. 

Just wanted to say the first Duggar girl to wear pants, I think, was Jinger.  She went on some sort of guided hunting trip with her father, If I recall correctly, and the guide refused to let her hunt in a skirt.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Lunera said:

How does Derick think that Jazz saying "isn't real" or that her parents are "promoting their own agenda and taking advantage of her" and calling Jazz a "he" is compassionate? Being compassionate about someone you don't agree with is not pinning a hate Tweet to the top of one's Twitter account. 

I'm certain he would not find compassion in Jazz's parents if they shared with the world through a Tweet that they're concerned that he thinks wrapping a toddler in a towel to confine them is okay. Or that calling a toddler manipulative is good parenting. Or that raising a child using the Bible to promote hate is not divisive.

Does he not see that many folks think of his form of parenting as promoting his own agenda?

Derick needs to remember the Golden Rule.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

How does Derick think that Jazz saying "isn't real" or that her parents are "promoting their own agenda and taking advantage of her" and calling Jazz a "he" is compassionate? Being compassionate about someone you don't agree with is not pinning a hate Tweet to the top of one's Twitter account. 

I'm certain he would not find compassion in Jazz's parents if they shared with the world through a Tweet that they're concerned that he thinks wrapping a toddler in a towel to confine them is okay. Or that calling a toddler manipulative is good parenting. Or that raising a child using the Bible to promote hate is not divisive.

Does he not see that many folks think of his form of parenting as promoting his own agenda?

Right!!! Posting this was not a good idea. I see compassion in the people here who posted that they didn't quite understand / agree with transgender issues, but treated them with nothing but kindness. To me, that's what this meme is saying. Derrick has not showed compassion at any point!

• Love 6

Can someone tell me exactly what Derick said about Jazz?  I've seen some summaries, but, I want to know what he really said.  I think that he has made comments previously about transgender rights before as well. ...............Oh, I found it.  One thing that he said is that being transgender was a myth.  

I wonder how much reading Derick has done on transgender issues. I mean, actual material and not propaganda written by religious zealots.   It seems to me that the most vocal and oppressive are the least informed.   I have read dozens of hours about it and watched many documentaries over the last 10 years.  And still, I don't consider myself an expert. or someone who is qualified to judge others and to rule on other people's gender identity.

http://people.com/tv/derick-dillard-under-fire-jazz-jennings-transphobia-tlc/

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I've recently had a lot of research-type contact with present-day fundies of the conservative type. ... As in, a lot. Both reading and talking -- lengthy conversations both with still-committed fundies themselves and numerous scholars of that world. Some very high-placed people in government and so on.  And as far as I remember, I have not come across one single reference, ever, to the Golden Rule. There may have been some. It's hard for me to believe that there weren't. But if there were they were so swamped by other stuff that I don't remember them. Their belief seems to come from an entirely different place. It's a place of the sword, and hell, and black-and-white judgment, and us vs. them, and "natural law" that god set down and will burn you physically for eternity if you break (see, Jazz and Jazz's parents), and humanity infinitely corrupted from birth and desperately needing to be frightened back into goodness, and an absolute horror of religious pluralism of any kind. Etc. 

So unless he snaps in some new way and comes away from that world, he's not going to remember the Golden Rule and nobody's going to remind him, I expect. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10

Here's my issue. I dont have a problem with people who think different. Heck, it's what makes us unique. You can even say you don't agree with some and that's cool. Here's where the problem is. When you think you're better, God loves you more, everyone else is stupid, wrong and going to destroy humanity, this is where you get yourself into trouble. Furthermore, you NEVER pick on a kid or call them out publicly. Bad bad move Dillweed.

• Love 22

Dwerp working for the FBI as an agent or an accountant. What happened to the dream? He went into missionary work instead or should I say attempted to do missionary work. What happened between graduating college and hooking up with a Duggar daughter. I know people can change their dreams after leaving college. Sometime happened to Derick around the time the molestation news came out because this is around the time he started going off the deep end. There is no way the FBI would be interested in hiring him now.

Jim Bob had a luxury of being one of the first families to have a slew of kids. People were curious. Now, these insanely large families are just viewed as ridiculous. Jim Bob did not have the same level of social media that Derrick has to contend with. Not only is Derrick not as smart in dealing with TLC and the public, he clearly doesn't know his audience. I am pleased to see the TLC is no longer featuring Derrick. Hopefully, the other Duggars & Company will see that bigotry is not only wrong but will cost you your job. 

I wonder why Jim Bob didn't tell his son-in-law to keep his mouth shut. We all know that Jill is not permitted to do what most wives would do and tell their husbands that hateful comments have the ability to cut off their livelihood. 

• Love 3

Just popping in to see how thrilled I was to see the story covered by USA Today, today! No new info for those of us who follow along regularly, but I'm glad to know his hatefulness is getting out there on mainstream news platforms! 

He comes off looking like a complete ass, and jazz ends up looking classy and gracious.   

• Love 7

Derp gets to decide on myths, um k? 

But here are some of his recent tweets that I can get behind (no matter how hypocritical they may be)

Derp-"I think too often people make judgements without thoughtful understanding of the facts of a situation. Rash responses are never good. It’s not wrong for someone to gently explain their views of something. Freedom of speech w/ mutual respect are healthy practices we have in the US" 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

shelbey ❄️‏ @_mastercthulhu Nov 9

"I really do respect how much the Bible has influenced your life positively, but you can’t force other people to learn about God. Not everyone believes in God or if they do believe in God, it’s not your God. And that’s okay."

Derp-"True, I can’t force, and it’s not my desire to force. I just tell what Jesus has done in my life and I love others so I want the same for them."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

shelbey ❄️‏ @_mastercthulhu Nov 9

Replying to @derickmdillard

If I may express my view, I think it wrong to force your children to go to church and force them to learn about the Bible before they are old enough to make that decision for themselves.

Derp- "Once my kids are old enough, they can choose for themselves, just as kids choose for themselves whether they want to continue to pursue their education."

If you isolate his tweets he can look like a fairly balanced Christian. Or he can look like a raving lunatic. I think he had a phase he was going through when he met JB, unfortunately he made a decision (under the influence of fame and religion) to marry Jill. Imagine how difficult it would be to break away from all the freebies, the attention, and the family that it seems he thought he wanted. If I was offered an opportunity to travel around and spread the good news about books I would do it. I would really not want to give up sharing something that I really believed in. Even though I could get a real job and do it part time, if I had the chance, I would make it my life. Why not? Especially if someone else is paying for it. He also may have lots of money saved and invested, since they lived almost free for their entire married lives. 

I think he was done with TLC and found a way that even JB couldn't force him to participate...got himself thrown out the club. He made some pretty serious allegations about Jazz being forced and used. TLC could not ignore that. Imagine the meeting and the damage control about a child being exploited, and the charge is from another of their shows that people might consider has inside information. But, he isn't giving up his mission quest and well, I don't like the guy, I think he's in it for reasons other than religion, but it seems like a legit quest for his group so... 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Showthyme said:

Jim Bob had a luxury of being one of the first families to have a slew of kids. People were curious. Now, these insanely large families are just viewed as ridiculous. Jim Bob did not have the same level of social media that Derrick has to contend with. Not only is Derrick not as smart in dealing with TLC and the public, he clearly doesn't know his audience. I am pleased to see the TLC is no longer featuring Derrick. Hopefully, the other Duggars & Company will see that bigotry is not only wrong but will cost you your job. 

I wonder why Jim Bob didn't tell his son-in-law to keep his mouth shut. We all know that Jill is not permitted to do what most wives would do and tell their husbands that hateful comments have the ability to cut off their livelihood. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Bob did tell him, actually. And then Der responded to him the way many other passionate fundies have responded -- You're a total sellout of your supposed morals, JB.

No way is Jim Bob Duggar going to learn that bigotry is wrong. He gets the "cost your job" (or "cost you fill-in-the-blank" ) part. That's the only part of anything he gets. But there's no way in hell that Jim Bob Duggar will take some kind of lesson about kindness to people with differing sexualities out of this. He's a bigoted -- and greedy -- little creep who thinks that both his greed and his bigotry are actual feathers in his cap.

He just plays something nicer on TeeVee.

For the Benjamins. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 14

I don’t think Walmart is particularly vulnerable to consumer opinion or really ethical in its dealings. If Derick’s mother got him another job at Walmart corporate, and Derick kept his mouth shut and deleted his Twitter, Walmart would face zero noticeable blowback. Walmart, like the clothes they sell, are huge. The screws they put on their suppliers are notorious. 

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 6
14 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

I don’t think Walmart is particularly vulnerable to consumer opinion or really ethical in its dealings. If Derick’s mother got him another job at Walmart corporate, and Derick kept his mouth shut and deleted his Twitter, Walmart would face zero noticeable blowback. Walmart, like the clothes they sell, are huge. The screws they put on their suppliers are notorious. 

Is Cathy still working for Walmart? If Dwerp did get hired back, he probably will be on a short leash because I bet he was fired the first time. I often wonder how the rest of his fellow co-workers felt about him. Did they laugh and chuckle behind his back because of Jill clinging to him like there was no tomorrow, and the idiot in-laws he ended up with. Plus the fact, he would need to get off his lazy ass five days a week and actually work. To him and Jill, work is a dirty four letter word.

When I think about what has come about regarding Derick, several things come to mind.  One is a saying that my fifth grade teacher used to use.  "An empty wagon makes the most noise."  And I also wonder if he just has too much time on his hands.  Some people who have idle hands let their mouth get the better of them.  Then, there's the obsession with twitter.  It is the downfall of those people who have irresistible impulses.  They just can't help themselves.  You know who you are. lol  

• Love 20
19 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

While this is possible, that makes me even more surprised that the next pants-wearer wasn't Jessa, for the following reasons:

1. Positive attention Jinger got wearing pants.

2. Sierra wearing pants.

3. Doing things to attract positive attention to the Duggar brand.

She also has to see JB & Michelle on the daily, since she lives so close and in a property the Duggars own. Jinger is all the way in Texas and Jill lives at that apartment near campus with Derrick.  It might be easier to break away from some of the norms/rules when you don't have the people who were the enforcers close by (and employing your husband as their toilet cleaner).

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 9

Derick's health issues could have affected his career goals too.  Even if you have office jobs with the FBI, like accountants, attorneys, etc.  I think you still have to attend basic school, past medical tests, physical tests, firearms proficiency, etc.  

Can someone fill me in.  Are the Dillards living in the US now?  I thought they were missionaries in Central America?

Edited by SunnyBeBe

The young lady that responded to Derick, Shelbey, is a 19 year old girl who runs a fundie blog on Tumblr called 'thosedamnduggars'. It's hilarious how a teen girl caused his eventual downfall. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Can someone fill me in.  Are the Dillards living in the US now?  I thought they were missionaries in Central America?

They've been back since May. They were supposed to go back but theywere let go by the mission sponsors. They said they were continuing their ministry in Arkansas and the Dullards are now living in an apartment near the Arkansas university where Derick is grifting again so he can pay for a ministry class offered by cross church. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Dwerp working for the FBI as an agent or an accountant. What happened to the dream? He went into missionary work instead or should I say attempted to do missionary work. What happened between graduating college and hooking up with a Duggar daughter. I know people can change their dreams after leaving college. Sometime happened to Derick around the time the molestation news came out because this is around the time he started going off the deep end. There is no way the FBI would be interested in hiring him now.

The more I think about it, the more I'm not sure his dream changed all that much. His original plan was to settle down, work for a big corporation and then suddenly get picked up for a Big Heroic Job that he was only marginally qualified for. In a sense, that's exactly what he did, the big difference was he changed from a non-religious (or less religious) environment where federal law enforcement was the Big Heroic Thing that everyone admires to a fundie/Duggar environment where missionary work holds a similar caché. 

Edited by satrunrose
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I've recently had a lot of research-type contact with present-day fundies of the conservative type. ... As in, a lot. Both reading and talking -- lengthy conversations both with still-committed fundies themselves and numerous scholars of that world. Some very high-placed people in government and so on.  And as far as I remember, I have not come across one single reference, ever, to the Golden Rule. There may have been some. It's hard for me to believe that there weren't. But if there were they were so swamped by other stuff that I don't remember them. Their belief seems to come from an entirely different place. It's a place of the sword, and hell, and black-and-white judgment, and us vs. them, and "natural law" that god set down and will burn you physically for eternity if you break (see, Jazz and Jazz's parents), and humanity infinitely corrupted from birth and desperately needing to be frightened back into goodness, and an absolute horror of religious pluralism of any kind. Etc. 

So unless he snaps in some new way and comes away from that world, he's not going to remember the Golden Rule and nobody's going to remind him, I expect. 

So somehow these folks think they're kind and full of compassion all the while being judgmental assholes? That is some kind of twisted logic. 

In my real life I work with many dual diagnosed folks who live with substance issues in addition to mental health issues. I 100% believe their lives would improve with sobriety, just like Derick 100% believes his way of faith is the supreme. It has never even been an itch for me to attack and judge these folks. Yet Derick attacks and judges others who he "wants to save". There is no way, even trying to understand the way Derick thinks/believes, that I can wrap my head around their lack of insight and judgmental ways.

• Love 18
4 hours ago, Triple P said:

I don't think JB would hire Derick for bookkeeping. He wouldn't want Derick to know his net worth or how and where it is invested. JB would want a real, experienced accountant who knows how to cook the books.

The idea of Derick becoming an FBI agent is laughable. He is delusional in thinking that his gunslinging skills gained as Pistol Pete prepares him for using a real gun. 

To be fair, I think the part about Pistol Pete was a joke.  And the idea, in and of itself, is not laughable.  Accounting is one of the most common college majors for FBI agent. That’s because most FBI agents spend all of their time behind a desk working to prove complex white-collar crime cases involving hidden money and large corporations. 

Derick being an FBI agent, though? Bad idea. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, sometimesy said:

He also may have lots of money saved and invested, since they lived almost free for their entire married lives. 

If Derick has lots of money saved & investments, then he is a greedy prick for begging for donations/Go Fund Me.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

@bigskygirl I've alway suspected that Derick was very disturbed about the molestation. He thought that he was getting a pure,virgin wife, and then found out that she'd been molested by her brother.  In the Kelly interview poor Jill was extremely upset. Her parents didn't protect her or the other girls, and she was told to forgive and forget. I would imagine it isn't that easy and maybe they can't get past it. The move to campus might be a good thing because they don't have to see Josh on a daily basis.

I'm also curious about the relationship between Josh and his brothers-in-law. Is he still a pariah or do the guys hang out with him? We see him at weddings with the family but they are large events and people can easily avoid him. I know Anna and her sisters-in-law are chummy, but Josh, I think, not so much.

As far as Derick joining the FBI, he'd never pass the psych. evaluation.

• Love 17
44 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

To be fair, I think the part about Pistol Pete was a joke.  And the idea, in and of itself, is not laughable.  Accounting is one of the most common college majors for FBI agent. That’s because most FBI agents spend all of their time behind a desk working to prove complex white-collar crime cases involving hidden money and large corporations. 

I think the idea of him becoming an FBI agent is laughable because of his personality and physical presence, not because of his college degree.

I know an FBI agent, so anecdotal evidence of course, but based on his personality and demeanor, Derick just wouldn't measure up.

Edited by Triple P
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, Triple P said:

I think the idea of him becoming an FBI agent is laughable because of his personality and physical presence, not because of his college degree.

I know an FBI agent, so anecdotal evidence of course, but based on his personality and demeanor, Derick just wouldn't measure up.

Oh, I totally agree. He’d be a terrible candidate and never make it through training. And can you imagine Jill showing up at Quantico every day at noon? “Honey, we’re in the middle of running an active shooter scenario.” “But Derick, I brought you an omelet!” 

My point was that back in college it wasn’t a laughable thing for him to aspire to. He’s right that they recruit a lot of accountants, his family has a law enforcement background which would have at least been an interesting talking point in interviews, and he didn’t come across as being particularly crazy. Then. 

• Love 19
13 minutes ago, Caracoa1 said:

Why is Derrick so threatened by Jazz and her being transgender...how she chooses to live her life does not affect him in any way!? 

Did he provoke TLC and hone in on Jazz because he knew it would get him pixelated.  If Derp tried to walk away from TLC it would be difficult; he would have eternal pressure to stay in the loop and keep sweet for the family business. If Derp gets punted, he is out. JB can't do shit. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

So somehow these folks think they're kind and full of compassion all the while being judgmental assholes? That is some kind of twisted logic. 

In my real life I work with many dual diagnosed folks who live with substance issues in addition to mental health issues. I 100% believe their lives would improve with sobriety, just like Derick 100% believes his way of faith is the supreme. It has never even been an itch for me to attack and judge these folks. Yet Derick attacks and judges others who he "wants to save". There is no way, even trying to understand the way Derick thinks/believes, that I can wrap my head around their lack of insight and judgmental ways.

I've come to think that it's basic personality traits and psychology traits that mostly determine which beliefs we end up permanently embracing as adults about things like this. It's tempting to think that we somehow have reasoned our way to things like being largely nonjudgmental or we've chosen to be a Calvinist or whatever because of some kind of moral decision or whatever. But more and more I think that people are just made differently, probably some by nurture but more by nature in most cases, and that's what determines differences like this. 

It's a depressing thought for me because it means the chances of people like the Ders ever to change significantly or for groups with opposing views of this kind to ever agree -- or even to agree to disagree -- are very very slim when you look at it this way. 

But I see so little evidence that anybody can be talked or educated out of things that I think are just nutso, like these things .............And I guess I know that it would likely be next to impossible to talk or educate me out of being generally a live-and-let-live sort of person, too. So I'm afraid I'm stuck with thinking that these things are pretty well wired into different brains, at least by adulthood. 

1 hour ago, mynextmistake said:

I agree that it would be a bad idea. On the bright side, though, FBI forensic accountants don't carry guns or make arrests. (although they do go through pretty much the whole FBI basic training, I think.) So he'd just be at a desk somewhere. Not out at crime scenes or people's front doors with a warrant, where there'd be a chance he could flip out or something. ;  )

• Love 4
41 minutes ago, Caracoa1 said:

Why is Derrick so threatened by Jazz and her being transgender...how she chooses to live her life does not affect him in any way!? 

Because all the church people he listens to and, apparently, most admires, view "the war on transgenders" as one of their primary missions today in Christ's service. It even comes higher on many of their lists than anti-abortion activity..

As I've mentioned before, I have this from numerous horse's mouths, including super-fundie lawyers, college professors and pastors,. The phrase "the war on transgenders" is routinely used and they consider it key to the mission of putting "natural law" -- i.e., God's unquestionable specific dictates about this that and the other, much which is biological -- at the center of American life, a mission that they believe will now be firmly advanced by the current Supreme Court. 

As usual, Derick is saying nothing that he's not parroting directly from the leaders of what he considers his faith community. 

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, Lemur said:

My co-worker's son is currently awaiting his final physical before going to the Academy.  He's a West Point grad and former Army Ranger.  He's sweating the physical.  The thought of Derrick so much as doing the running involved is laughable.  

He would have Jilly Muffin riding her bike next to him, and then he would vomit. There ya go.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

As I've mentioned before, I have this from numerous horse's mouths, including super-fundie lawyers, college professors and pastors,. The phrase "the war on transgenders" is routinely used and they consider it key to the mission of putting "natural law" 

Yeah, the war on same-sex marriage seems to have moved down a peg on their list of obsessions.

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Love 5
6 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Yeah, the war on same-sex marriage seems to have moved down a peg on their list of obsessions.

I'm told it would move back up if the chances of fighting it began to look better. Luckily, they still look slim! 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, bythelake said:

@bigskygirl I've alway suspected that Derick was very disturbed about the molestation. He thought that he was getting a pure,virgin wife, and then found out that she'd been molested by her brother.  In the Kelly interview poor Jill was extremely upset. Her parents didn't protect her or the other girls, and she was told to forgive and forget. I would imagine it isn't that easy and maybe they can't get past it. The move to campus might be a good thing because they don't have to see Josh on a daily basis.

I'm also curious about the relationship between Josh and his brothers-in-law. Is he still a pariah or do the guys hang out with him? We see him at weddings with the family but they are large events and people can easily avoid him. I know Anna and her sisters-in-law are chummy, but Josh, I think, not so much.

As far as Derick joining the FBI, he'd never pass the psych. evaluation.

I was thinking the same thing. My husband's only brother got married in July 2008. I thought it was interesting no one mention the fact he had a step son or his step son was not in the wedding party or at the wedding. I did some searching and found out why. I will not go into it, but I definitely see why he was not at the wedding or no one wanted to talk about him. I even wonder if he went to my brother-in-law's funeral in 2013. Too bad one of us could not sneak in and give the older Duggar kids and the married couples some truth serum to find out how they really think of Josh. It could turn out very interesting.

3 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Oh, I totally agree. He’d be a terrible candidate and never make it through training. And can you imagine Jill showing up at Quantico every day at noon? “Honey, we’re in the middle of running an active shooter scenario.” “But Derick, I brought you an omelet!” 

My point was that back in college it wasn’t a laughable thing for him to aspire to. He’s right that they recruit a lot of accountants, his family has a law enforcement background which would have at least been an interesting talking point in interviews, and he didn’t come across as being particularly crazy. Then. 

The other candidates would have a field day with him because of Jill. She probably would be freaking out thinking a female FBI  agent or candidate would be coming on to him.  His poor dad is probably rolling over in his grave at the way Derick has turned out. Would he have turned to JB if his dad was still alive.

1 hour ago, leighdear said:

So if Derrick thinks we should leave our bodies alone and be the people that his god made us to be, then how can he justify what he willingly did to his own face?

He made himself different.  NOT the way his god made him.  How can he possibly reconcile that with his accusations against Jazz?  Because his choice just involves a face and her choice involves a penis?  I'd LOVE to hear his attempt at justification.  

And if anybody on this planet is guilty of having a Reality show agenda and exploiting minor children, it's the Duggar parents.  From day 1, they've all been trained poodles performing for Jim Bob's purposes.  And now his kids are doing it to their kids.  

Great points about who are the real reality-tv jerks exploiting minor children. I guess because the Duggs force their children into very strict gender roles, though, they aren't  encouraging them to go against "natural law," so it's all good. lol 

I have a bit of a contrarian take, I guess, on what goes on with Derick and Jazz, etc., though.

To me, I just see him and his ilk having the childish "ewww" factor when they encounter any brand of sexuality that isn't precisely like their own. Nothing else gives them that "ewww" factor. Having your jaw fixed would never do that.

And I don't believe they're really alone in this. I had no problem at all intellectually with my gay friends' sexual behavior back when I was a late teen 20-something, but the first time I saw two male friends engaged in heavy petting on my living-room couch I got an intense physical "thump" feeling in my stomach. I was shocked by it, because I truly didn't believe they were doing anything wrong or even strange, but I guess just because it was so unfamiliar to me my lizard-brain kicked me in the stomach. 

The difference is that I felt it but knew it was just a lizard-brain response. Derick and company feel it and they think it's God -- because they're afraid of everything unfamiliar, and they've read some stuff in the Bible written by ancient lizard-brained people who had no opportunity to learn anything about modern biology. And they put those two things together. 

Of course Derick couldn't explain himself because by nature he's a person who believes, and follows and wants the security of a God who lists out every tiny little thing you're supposed to do and thumps you in the stomach when something's wrong wrong wrong. He's not a conscious thinker and analyzer or somebody brave enough to question the pronouncements of the church of his childhood. 

But really I think most people who are adults now have probably had one of those funny feelings when first coming into very close contact with a sexuality different from their own -- or, in many cases, when coming into contact with their own sexuality. Hence, the closet. And some quickly freak out and decide that the shock means something. And others say, Naa, it's just my viscera reacting in an animal way to the unfamiliar.

But younger people, many of whom have known about multiple sexual types since childhood, may never experience one of those stomach shocks. That's got top fundie leaders scared to death. Because it's the ewwww factor that keeps the older adults in the churches and supporting the bigoted talk and action against LGBQT people. The young, however, may not have the visceral response because they may have had out gay friends or friends who feel they want to be trans from quite an early age. So they don't feel the unfamiliarity-driven "ewww" factor and can step back and see the bigotry for what is. ... And in many cases decide to walk away from the religion. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 24

Why can't Derrick and other Christians pounce on a "sin" that affects larger amounts of people.  Of the 323 million people in the U.S., about 60-70 percent are overweight (I include myself in that group).  According to the bible, gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins, so why don't the evangelicals put their time and energy into getting those 200 million people to slim down?  Why pounce on the estimated one million transgenders instead of the 200 million who commit the "sin" of gluttony?  (Again, I include myself.)  They cherry pick one "sin" to go after and ignore the rest.

• Love 21
41 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Why can't Derrick and other Christians pounce on a "sin" that affects larger amounts of people.  Of the 323 million people in the U.S., about 60-70 percent are overweight (I include myself in that group).  According to the bible, gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins, so why don't the evangelicals put their time and energy into getting those 200 million people to slim down?  Why pounce on the estimated one million transgenders instead of the 200 million who commit the "sin" of gluttony?  (Again, I include myself.)  They cherry pick one "sin" to go after and ignore the rest.

Because then people like me would feel the need to point out how many of the other seven deadly sins Derrick and the Duggars were committing.  At the very least, they regularly commit greed, pride and sloth.

In their minds, I suspect they think issues such as abortion and homosexuality do affect a large number of people. I think they have become more outspoken about transgender issues because they see them being more widely discussed and accepted and so they feel the need to speak up and present their “Christian” viewpoint which is against any sort of acceptance. 

Personally, I wish Derrick would “pounce” on the sins of child molestation and sexual assault since they affected his own wife, but that would never happen since their brand of Christianity doesn’t seem to hold men accountable for “lust” sins. 

Edited by EVS
Grammar
  • Love 17
26 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Well, my answer is that they aren't pouncing on "sins." They think they are. But of course they're emphatically not pouncing on anything they do or that people they know do. (although I don;t think most of them realize this). 

What they are pouncing on are things that their lizard brains read as "strange," "unusual," "different." The kinds of things that surprise your lizard brain (which is only happy with what's familiar because that's safe.) ... And because they're lizard-brain driven (again, without realizing it, I'm sure), they read that lizard-brain kick  at surprising and rare things as a message from their souls/consciences/God that those things truly are bad. They see those kicks -- those "ewwwws" --  as God guiding them to realize that those are the bad things. The "sins." 

These are very very fear-based people. And follower-type people -- who get added ammunition for their responses from the fact that some ancient people with no chance to have modern knowledge or a contemporary person's cosmopolitan comfort with different kinds of people in the world wrote strongly against these unusual things as sins decreed by God. 

They believe they're moral thinkers. But really they aren't thinking in terms of morals at all. And, in fact, they don't even think at all. They follow signs that they think they[re getting. They're feeling amygdala-based shock and fear at unfamiliar and unusual things and believing that that shock and fear mean that these thing are sins -- unacceptable to God.    Ergo, only rare and unfamiliar things strike them as sins. 

7 minutes ago, EVS said:

Personally, I wish Derrick would “pounce” on the sins of child molestation and sexual assault since it affected his own wife, but that would never happen since their brand of Christianity doesn’t seem to hold men accountable for “lust” sins. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all, though, if down underneath Der has some seriously conflicted feelings about this whole paradox you point out here. And that those internal conflicts are part of what's driving his insanity over the last couple of years. He's certainly been forced by Duggar family tradition to pretend that this whole story doesn't bother him and pretty much never happened. But I don't believe for a minute that he's bought that with his whole soul. I'm pretty sure intra-family child molestation gave him a big lizard kick of "ewwwww" as well. But to be part of the group -- and he's a follower and he'd married into that group -- he's had to pretend that he doesn't feel that one. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 17
28 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

It seems like it would be really hard to prove all the overweight people in the US were bigger as a direct result of gluttony, whereas it's easier to point at a transgender person who clearly is transgender. Plenty of people have health issues that cause weight gain, or are on antidepressants, or maybe were  eating badly but are in the process of losing the weight, albeit still large. However, I don't think most fundies are capable of this kind of critical thinking. To them, sexual sins are the only ones worth worrying about!

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Showthyme said:

I am an accountant. Your post is too funny!

Back in the 90’s I used to go to trade conventions that were all accountants. The “dinner and dance parties” were pretty fun to people watch ? Most danced like no one was watching, just like Derrick! Fun times with nice people 

Edited by Readalot
  • Love 3